Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

one of my favorite stouts. pours dark dark browm almost black cascading from the nitro tap with a memorable creamy head. smells rich and dark malty, with notes of unsweetened cocoa and coffee. taste is a little bit bitter at the end, but not a hop bitterness as i know it to be, more like bittersweet chocolate. the mouthfeel is so creamy and smooth, full bodied and as drinkable as any stout in the game. a wonderful noontime drink after a hard night of drinking. rejuvenating and delightful

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours black with a fingers worth of tan head. Not much lace.

The nose has some cocoa powder and chocolate malt balls.

The taste has a touch of coffee roast, some chocolate, and roasted malts.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation.

Overall, pretty good but wish the carbonation was a bit milder.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer is pretty great. Big roast notes in this oatmeal stout. It is ridiculously drinkable, and this bomber is disappearing before my eyes. There are big notes of roast and coffee with a bit of chocolate in the taste. This stout should always been in any stout lover's refrigerator.

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

My wife picked this one. She fell in love with Hazelnut Brown Nectar and now swears unconditionally by all things Rogue. As for me, my recent Rogue beers while not terrible, have been disappointing, so it's against my better judgement that we go forward with this one.

After an attractive pour, this one falls off a cliff, with a imperceptible, musty, dog-in-a-swamp odor that wards off all normal beer smells. The taste hits all the right notes at first with grains and roasty malts, but it drowns in a sea of, uh, stank. There is a lot of unpleasant bitterness that makes finishing a pint a real chore. Mouthfeel isn't bad, but doesn't have the thick smoothness I expect in an Oatmeal Stout.

Dammitall, Rogues have gone from blah to outright bad on this one. This beer is borderline lousy. Hope I got a bad bottle. Last time I reviewed a Rogue beer I swear I was taking a Rogue hiatus. Apparently the hiatus ended, but that goes double this time.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this on tap at the Hard Times Cafe in Springfield. My wife ordered one too and didn't like it. I got to experience TWO pints of this!

A: I'm on autopilot now with dark beers: Poured a very dark, chocolate brown color, with a very small head... too small perhaps, considering this on is only 6.1%.

S: Not much smell at all and it was almost as if no thought was put into this aspect. Still, I managed to dredge up a tinge of weak chocolate milk, roast, and yeast...Pacman yeast, that is....

T: It had a really nice cake batter-esque finish that reminded me much more of an Irish Dry stout rather than an oatmeal. Some mild chocolate notes, very little coffee, and the bitterness I got on the finish was primarily from the malt bill.

M: This one was fairly thick, but not slimey (something I often attribute to oatmeal stouts). The lacing was mildly splotchy.

O: This was one of my "starter" beers back when I was just getting used to craft brews, and to be honest, it wasn't as good as I remember it being. Still, I did just drink two pints of it with no effort whatsoever, so... there you have it...

NOTE: This is the EXACT same beer as the Chocolate Stout. The only difference is, with that one, Rogue uses a high grade (expensive) Belgian Chocolate.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Deep black with a few finger creamy tan head that settles to a ring of foam.

S - Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, dark cocoa and light smoke.

T - Roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, coffee and oats. The bittersweet chocolate lingers into the aftertaste.

M - Medium to full body, creamy and smooth.

D - Very smooth and tasty.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales