Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
snogglethorpe

Japan

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

A very nice dark black color, but disappointingly "thin" looking with not so much head.

Taste is less sweet than I expected, seemed more like a riff on a dry stout. Taste is fairly nice, a little roasted bitterness, some hops, slightly acrid, but again very similar to a dry stout in my opinion. The body/mouthfeel is a little thin -- I was really hoping for something more creamy and full.

Not a bad beer, but didn't really live up to its reputation...

12-06-2010 06:12:44 | More by snogglethorpe
goldbot

District of Columbia

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

From a 22 oz. bottle poured into a large wine glass. Pitch black color with thick, brown head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing. Plenty of chocolate flavor rounded out with ample roasted barley/coffee flavor. Slight herbal hoppiness. Flavor of roasted coffee, plenty of bitterness. Hint of dark chocolate and a touch of citrus. Full body without being overly sweet.

12-05-2010 22:08:55 | More by goldbot
BruceWineworks

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

A: dark as night brown, almost black with chocolate brown lacing.

S: chocolate oats and toasted malts, hints of coffee drift in.

T: smooth taste of chocolate, coffee and oats. Slight bitter taste.

M: rich and creamy feel.

D: one of my favorite oatmeal stouts. Rogue never let's me down. I'm sure I'll get it many times again.

12-04-2010 15:16:58 | More by BruceWineworks
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

hmmm Rogue... this company is beginning to get under my nerves... all of their dark beers seem to have the same acidic, pungent, chocolate and coffee flavour. Perhaps this is some weird form of conditioning... the first Rogue beer I ever had was the Double Chocolate Stout... anyway...

It looks alright, black with weak lacing, the head was big but it is gone now. The smell is what I described above... Acrid yet savory. I would probably rate the beer higher if it was a regular stout as opposed to an oatmeal. The smooth, creamy, thick oatmeal character is not there (at least not enough).

For the quality and the price, this one is definitely a pass.

11-28-2010 22:31:43 | More by EwaldEichstaett
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

22oz. bottle served in my Sam Smith tulip nonic. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a dense, rocky, mocha-colored head that sizzles and pops and slowly recedes. Head eventually settles into a solid, quarter inch cap with a few spots and swaths of lacing revealed during the tasting. Nose suggests cocoa; however, it seems a bit chalky, as well as a slightly metallic quality. There's also a trace of lactose in the mix. Taste follows nose; however, there's also a roasted character and a slightly burnt/ashy flavor that lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a lively effervescence and a semi-dry finish. A solid example of the style, but nothing to write home about here.

11-23-2010 00:30:54 | More by Jwale73
Eriktheipaman

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours the usual Stout black with that always lovely tan head.

Smells of roasted malt with the freshness of hops.

It has a great hops bite as soon as it hits your tongue but soon changes to an almost burnt chocolate taste. The specialy grains give is a nice smooth mouthfeel.

Rogue always has pretty solid brews and this is just another one of them.

11-19-2010 04:14:15 | More by Eriktheipaman
claspada

3.95/5  rDev -5%

The aromas is of dark roasted malts with bitter/darker chocolate, dark roast coffee and some slight caramel/vanilla bean.

The taste is a subtly sweet and slightly bitter roasted malt backbone. Rather bitter for an Oatmeal Stout in my opinion with the dark chocolate and coffee roastiness. Tastes a lot like it smells. The mouthfeel is thick yet dry. Very filling and coating. Dry finish, bitter aftertaste.

Overall this is a really great beer, not exactly to style in my opinion. I like my Oatmeal Stouts a little more balanced on the bitterness scale. Drinks slightly heavier than the ABV indicates but that's great because I can have more!

11-17-2010 19:16:12 | More by claspada
wvsabbath

West Virginia

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Serving Type - 22oz Bottle

Appearance - Dark brown/black. Very nice 2 inch creamy brown head

Smell - Coffee, chocolate, some hops. Sugars, malts and barley, though no smell was strong.

Taste - Had a hard time finding this beer, been looking for months, finally scored. First drink, i was surprized that it wasnt so strong in the coffee flavor, and i could really taste the hops in it. Its really smooth and mild. The chocolate and hops are the big flavors at first, but the coffee and malts come alive. The brown sugar is mild at best, and the barley is medium.

Mouthfeel - As with oatmeal stouts, you get the coffee and chocolate up front, then tounge is left with the bitter oatmeal flavor. This beer is mild, you could drink another dark beer right after this.

Drinkabilty - Well, its soild but, too mild on flavors. I wish it had more coffee and or chocolate to it. You could easy down this 22oz'er. As usual, im a bit dissapointed with another rogue beer. This is good but, id for sure take samuel smiths oatmeal stout over this.

11-16-2010 07:37:23 | More by wvsabbath
ShowMeYourHops

Hawaii

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a bottle into a common mug

Appearance: Color is a deep dark brown to nearly black. Cannot see through the beer. Head is creamy to dark brown in color, lacing is excellent.

Smell: Roasted malts are an absolute, possibly hints of chocolate and coffee as well. The second you open the bottle the roasted malt fragrance is prevalent.

Taste: Roasted malts, coffee, and again a slight chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth in the mouth, little carbonation on the tongue, creamy overall flavor and feel.

Drinkability: Good to above average.

Overall: For stouts this beer faired very well in my opinion. The flavor is great, the fragrance is excellent, the only down side to it is that I'm sure it's not an easy find on the east coast of the United States. This would be a great beer paired with red meat like a steak or lamb; or to just enjoy by itself. As for the big question "would I have another?" Yes I would. Enjoy!

11-09-2010 06:08:39 | More by ShowMeYourHops
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada tumbler. Served just slightly chilled. I can't imagine a more beautiful ale: black as coal, with the creamiest head imaginable and ample lacing. The black hole of beer, no light could possibly escape.

The aroma is of chocolate and citrus hops. I taste espresso, unsweetened chocolate, and bitter hops on the front of my tongue. It's hoppier than I remember Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, my only prior experience with oatmeal stouts. The hops give it a slightly more bitter finish than I expected. Of course, it is still smooth as silk going down, and not out of balance at all. Talk about drinkability, I'm gulping rather than sipping. Maybe I should unbutton my pants and let my belt out a notch. There's a "Whole 'lotta Love" in this glass.

With a thick and creamy mouthfeel I can't find any fault with this stout. It's an American twist on a great English ale. I would still prefer a Samuel Smith's, but that's really beside the point. Rogue should be very proud of this effort.

11-08-2010 00:12:10 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Kromes

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pitch black with a thick brown colored head. Good lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Roasted chocolate malts and coffee. There is a fruit-like aroma and some hop in there also.

T: A very smooth roasted malt, coffee and dark chocolate flavor. There is a sweet fruity/hop taste and then a bitterness in the finish.

M: Very smooth and velvety. Not too heavy.

D: A very good oatmeal stout. Nothing is too overpowering, a very balanced stout.

11-07-2010 19:51:49 | More by Kromes
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard US tumbler

*side note* This is my first stout besides Guinness, so take this review with a grain of salt

A-This one one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Almost completly black with a medium thick brown head. Perfect lacing.

S- Roasted malts are the main scent.

T-Not as sweet as one might expect. The main flavor I got was of roasted malts. The finish is a weird battle; some sips there is a nice burnt chocolate finish, then the next will be very dry and hoppy.

MF-About the same thickness of a standard guinness, possibly thinner.

D-I think this is a nice beer to nurse at the end of a long day, but I can't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall, this is not quite what I was expecting from a craft stout, but that just shows me that there are many things to learn about beer. I look forward to reviewing more very soon.

11-04-2010 22:13:30 | More by phideltashaggy
megahurts4

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout
on draft at The Avenue Pub, New Orleans, LA

Appearance: dark brown, medium-small head, and good lacing.

Smell: roasted malts, hops, and slight coffee.

Taste: roasted malts, coffee, and some hops.

Mouthfeel: medium and smooth.

Overall:
It is a nice and creamy stout. The roasted flavors are plentiful.

11-04-2010 06:31:44 | More by megahurts4
9InchNails

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into my mug from a 22 ounce bottle.

I got a lot a head on this. The head looks creamy, almost like a chocolate milk shake! The head is sticking around for quite some time. The beer is black, completely opaque. I can't see any bubbles whatsoever.

I smell dark malts and it seems almost like a floral smell, quite interesting. Definitely a little chocolate in there.

Mouth Feel: I feel no carbonation at. Its very thick and a little creamy. Okay, I do feel a little more carbonation on the second sip hitting my tongue.

Taste: a chocolate-ty coffee taste with a bitter end. You can definitely taste the dark malts but also some of the hops are pretty dominate.

Drink Ability: I can probably have one more and I'm done.

I have never tasted this beer before. I have had an Oatmeal Stout before and it tastes similar to that. Overall it's pretty good.

11-02-2010 05:14:40 | More by 9InchNails
mkorpal

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Dark brown, near black. Tan head about 1 finger, decent retention, with minimal lacing.

Smell is mild chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal. Not a ton going on. Needs to be a bit more forward.

taste is of bitter chocolate, some roasted coffee, and some dark fruits. Better than the smell, but still could use something more.

Smooth, but was missing the creamy thick mouthfeel that I expected. Mouthfeel needs to be beefed up. In the end, it ends up to dry.

Drinkability is hurt by the dryness. Not exactly what I would want from the style. It was ok, but was lacking to me. I would have it again, but won't be seeking it out anytime soon.

11-02-2010 01:47:40 | More by mkorpal
wvu9787

West Virginia

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

22.oz bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass. Got this at local beer store for 5.69+ tax, ABV. is 6.1%.

Apperence- Very dark brown/black body,rich looking creamy brown head.

Smell- Cocoa, Coffee, Roasted Malts

Taste- Tastes like it smells: sweetness,cocoa, coffee, roasted malts, little hops, the oatmeal really cant be tasted intill beer warms a bit, pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, smooth and is little thick.

Drinkabilty- good to moderate drinkability, I like this beer but would only drink a 22.oz per siting, but I can see how other people would drink a few cause its a good tasting stout.

Overall I enjoy this one, another solid offering from Rogue, I still like the Double/Regular Chocolate Stout better but this is right behind those two. I have had the Sam Smiths Oatmel Stout as well and I must admit I like the Rogue's version of the brew alot better. Thanks for reading and have a drink for me!

10-23-2010 09:35:05 | More by wvu9787
juju7

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

I will remember this beer as the beer that made me recognize the common flavour found in Rogue beers. This is not a bad stout by any means, my beer doesn't say anywhere that it's an oatmeal stout but BA says so. Not really getting any particular oatmeal stout characteristics from this though.A bit more hops on the nose than most stouts along with some chocolate and ground coffee. I can't shake the feeling that this is like a caricature of a stout. Like it's trying too hard. Ah never mind me, I'm just jibbering now.

10-17-2010 11:07:43 | More by juju7
magine

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a near black color with a tan, chunky thick head. Brew leaves a nice thick island head that stays throughout and leaves a great lace. Good looking brew.

Brew smells malty, chocolate, oats, dark fruits. Smokey burnt malts. Brew smells good.

Brew is slightly peppery on the tongue initially, chocolate burnt smoked malts can be tasted quickly after. Very earthy hop and flavor an almost oily hop resin, some oats and grains in there as well. Big barley flavors as well. Smooth as you drink and finishes slightly bitter and dry. Good unique tasting oatmeal stout.

This is a different tasting oatmeal stout; earthy, hops and burnt malts with a chocolate flavor in the dry finish. Was expecting a sweeter flavor but this is very good stuff none the less.

10-15-2010 00:10:34 | More by magine
scottfrie

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

22oz bottle into Delirium Tremens glass.

A: Pour a flat black with a huge, dense, dark brown head that slowly faded into a thick creamy film that left a solid sheep of beautiful lace down the glass.
S: Light chocolate-mocha notes with a touch of grainy roasted oats and grassy hop undertones.
T: Soft and sweet flavors of dark chocolate with a fairly bitter punch of grassy hops. There is a touch of creamy marshmallow to the aftertaste, and suggestions of roasted oats the whole way through. Sweeter and more bitter than I was expecting with subtle flavors of coffee and caramel.
M: Low carbonation with a silky smooth, albeit a tad watery, mouthfeel. Body is medium and there is no trace of alcohol.
D: A very drinkable oatmeal stout, but not my favorite. Looks amazing but it's maybe a tad too hoppy (even though I'm a hophead). The bitterness is welcomed though. A great beer, but I wouldn't say world class.

10-12-2010 23:52:48 | More by scottfrie
adam42381

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black with a 2 finger creamy chocolate brown head. Excellent lacing. Looks pretty much perfect for a stout.

Smell: Toasted malt, coffee, burnt toast and chocolate with a hint of hops in the background.

Taste: A hint of sweet chocolate up front followed by coffee, toasted malt and dark chocolate in the middle then ending burnt toast. Aftertaste is bitter hops. Flavor really comes out as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Nice and creamy.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few glasses of this on a chilly evening.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I would recommend trying it if you've never had it.

10-12-2010 19:24:19 | More by adam42381
hophead247

Pours a dark brown almost black with some ruby red when held to the light. Creamy/bubbly brown head that sustained and left some nice creamy lacing. Aroma of chocolate, hazelnut, some light roast, sweet maltiness, toffee and light coffee. Flavor of dark chocolate, some coffee, roasty malts, nuts and maybe a light hop bitterness. Left a lingering coffee grind taste in your mouth.

10-12-2010 16:29:06 | More by hophead247
velosuds

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Purchased from Capital Market for $5.29.

A-Pours a deep, dark brown almost black hue with a one finger, cappuccino tan head with good retention and lacing.

S-Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and faint hops. Overall, the aroma was not robust enough.

T-Dark bittersweet chocolate and some coffee, by not nearly enough creamy rich malt flavor. I suspect it is because the hops are overbearing at 69 IBUs. Taste was disappointing.

M-Smooth, but I can't discern the presence of oatmeal in the mouthfeel.

D-This is decent oatmeal stout, but not quite on par with what I have come to expect from Rogue.

10-11-2010 00:47:52 | More by velosuds
ChrisPro

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Tasted many times on draft (never in bottle)

Pours dark black with some decent bubbly mocha head.

Aroma was solid chocolate with some hints of vanilla cream.

Flavor was predominantely a sweet chocolate and balanced bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel was creamy thick juicy goodness, light carbonation.

Overall, solid oatmeal and incredibly representative of the style

10-08-2010 04:25:22 | More by ChrisPro
mbusster88

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours with heavy, full, brown head. Good amount of head right out of the bottle, sticks around quite a while. Smell is of bitter chocolate, malts, caramel and some light notes of oatmeal. Not much oatmeal in the nose, however more comes out as it warms and brew is swirled. First taste is dark chocolate and malt. Nice smooth taste, with some oatmeal but very feint. Oatmeal becomes more apparent as the beer warms and swirled, similar to nose. Overall a wonderful dark stout with great flavor and depth, nice body, smell and appearance. Would highly recommend for anyone a fan or Rogue, stouts, or craft beer in general!

10-07-2010 00:08:12 | More by mbusster88
Casey10

Maine

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

I thought this was good but didn't really get the oatmeal part about this.

A - Dark Chocoalte look nice thich head with some lacing on the glass.

S - As it warms I notice a slight chocolate smell with perhaps some faint liquirish

T - It is a nice stout nothing overpowering but nonetheless nothing that really stands out either.

M - crisp, chocolate really smooth feel again good.

D - not a bad stout and not a bad price if looking for a stout would give this a try again.

10-03-2010 04:21:44 | More by Casey10