Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,117 | Reviews: 1,567
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Pours out of the bomber pitch black with a thick tan head. Head settles to a film, but returns again with a quick swirl of the glass. Leaves a nice web of lacing.

Smell: Lots of coffee and chocolate with a little sweetness coming through as well. Upon further inspection I catch a small whiff of tobacco also.

Taste: Follows suit with the aroma. Coffee with a hint of chocolate. Very roasty. Finishes with some lasting hop bitterness. (Who says a stout can't be hoppy?)

Mouthfeel: Superb. Mouthfilling and creamy. No way you could confuse this with that watery crap, Guinness.

Drinkability: This definitely isn't a session beer, but it's not supposed to be. One bomber of Shakespeare is the perfect way to end an evening.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Big, heavy pour. Liquid black. Some people say black, but this one is freakin black. No light passes - none. Nice, dark fluffy head that is hanging around for quite some time. Lace hangs down the side of the glass for the remainder of the drink.

Great smell..chocolately...with maybe a hint of cherries. Very rich.

Flavor is great. Starts just ever-so-slightly sweet and finishes with some pleasant hop bitterness. Very slight chocolate aftertaste (not as much as their Chocolate Stout, though).

Feels thick in my mouth and leaves it a bit sticky. I like. Alcohol is pretty much undetectable.

Really an amazing beer. One of my favorite stouts. This was my second bottle, and I've got a third waiting for me.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Stouts are not my most favorite thing ever, but this guy's from Rogue, so I had to give it a shot. It's a gorgeous looking beer- deep, dark brown, with a semi-thick chocolately colored head that rings around the glass down to the last drop. Smells lovely- chocolate, coffee, some toffee notes. Sweet, but dry.

Tastes lovely as well- more chocolate and coffee notes, as well as some caramel, and definitely some smokyness to it that balances really well. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, but not overly so. A hint of carbonation near the end of the sip.

This guy is pretty drinkable as well- a sipper, but drinkable. Very tasty concoction. Go get one.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a nice dark black with a dark tan head. Smells of alcohol with faint hop aroma. Burned wood aroma also mixed in there.

I was impressed with the excellent head retention. Creates rings on the glass as your drink it down...as a good Stout should.

Presentation is in typical Rouge fashion, in a 22oz. bottle with a nice little Rouge cap.

Inital flavor is of smoke and charred wood. Nice balance, not too overpowering. Sweet undertones, and excellent aftertaste.

Tasty drink. I'm a bigger fan of some of the other Rouge offerings, but this is definetly a winner.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brown head atop a thick, syrupy looking body. A real sight for sore eyes.

Sweet caramel smell, with a roasted smokiness to it, tinged with coffee and licorice.

Intensely creamy, with a dry taste to it. Coffee flavors, hints of chocolate and a nice hop bite at the end. Mostly sweet. Very full bodied, and an easily quaffable masterpiece.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz.bottle into a toulip glass yielding a thick, fluffy, beige two-finger head that reduced to about one finger and lasted the length of the sample. Huge rings of lace went all the way down the sides of the glass. The beer itself is very dark black with not a trace of light getting thru.

Smell is of rosted malt and some barley. Deep chocolate smell and some light coffee as well. Some expresso/mocha scents as well.

Taste is very dark and malty. Oh so malty yet smooth to the finish. Some coffee flavor and a slightly bitter chicory taste. Chocolate and toffee flavors ever so slight in the back ground.

Rather thick on the palate but smooth as well. A heavy beer for sure but well balanced and some ever so slight carbonation.

Easy to drink, enjoyable to drink, and one I will drink lots and lots of.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

poured black with a thick dense cscading dark chocolate head.
creamy grassy aroma with a dry roasted grain character.
nice mildly rich mouthfeel witha a smooth silky texture, nice roasted taste witha a good balanced finish. definete hop presence balanced with both characters coming out in there own way.
excellent

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Ruby accented black body with thick creamy cocoa head and extensive lacing. Fruit and coffee, hot cocoa aroma. Flavors of a chocolate covered espresso bean and plum. Sweet start, bitter finish. Rich and silky mouthfeel and modest carbonation.

This is a stout worth seeking out. From the milkshake like head through the bottom of the pint, every sip was a treat. It was as luxurious as a fine chocolate mousse. I split this bottle with my brother, but wish I'd drank it all myself.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%

Bomber obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) and consumed a couple days later (June, 2005). Pours a lushious off-brown two-finger head over a stark black liquid. Smells of c-hops, chocolate, roast, and alcohol. My first taste was of smoked malt and chocolate. In later tastes, the smoke disappeared and the chocolate resolved into that of chocolate easter bunny ears. I never thought I'd say that about a beer, but the flavor really is a gentle melt in your mouth. A hop bitter is present early and persists through the swallow, becoming a bit stronger in the immediate aftertaste. The bitter is accompanied by a citrusy hop flavor that is noticable, not overbearing, and in balance with the other flavors. It has a lactose creaminess that works well with what I perceive as medium body. The mild carbonation leaves only a gentle acrid that's actually below the hop bitter and gentle roast flavors. Not so roasty as to be coffee-like, but detectable with searching. Cherry sour, which is a feature found in many stouts, is either non-existant or hidden beneath the hop bitter in the end. Near the end of the glass and the beer is leaving a dry hop-bitter and cocoa powder on my tongue. Not entirely pleasing, from a drinkablility stand-point. There's still a thin layer of head on the beerand nice lacing on the inside of the glass.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

650 ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Absolutely ebony black in colour letting no light through. Head foams up greatly at the pour, then settles down to a nice 1/4 inch thick medium brown with some big rocky bubbles.

The smell is complex and layered. Roasted malt dominates with tones of bitter chocolate, dried fruit and even subtle hops.

Time for a taste and... whoa... WHOA! Hold on to your horses cause my tastebuds are in for an all out barrage. A whole wave of flavours crashes upon the tongue almost overloading the taste senses. Roasted malts dominate with a slightly burnt, yet slightly sweet undertone. There is more here in the flavour than I could possibly hope to keep up with let alone put to words. Hops rise to the surface to keep things balanced out. Man is this smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is bitter, yet not overly so, and long lasting.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with subtle carbonation.

This is truly an amazing stout. The smooth, luscious taste gives evidence to an oatmeal character. Simply the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I believe no beer is perfect, so if I have to pick any weakness, the bitter finish lowers the drinkability slightly, but only marginally so.

Bless you Rogue Ales for creating this fantastic brew!

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Decanted out of a 22 oz. bomber.

My overall impression of this stout can be summed up in two words "Damn Good". It was balanced and easy to drink. I expected this to be an in-your-face-stout but it was smooth, creamy, and easy going. The stout had the normal stout characteristics, black as night, coffee, chocolate, and burnt malt flavors...but what seperates this one from the pack is a hint of milk chocolate flavor. I liken this stout to Magic Hat's Heart of Darkness...quite similar

Shakespeare stout is hard to dislike, I'm quite glad to have had the experience of drinking it.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Obsidian black pour with a tan, sticky head that collapses and forms little islands of carbonation. No edging on this glass. It is pure black througout.

Smell: licorice, cocoa, espresso, and a touch of ethanol roll out of the glass.

Taste: Dry chocolate, licorice, dark bread and oatmeal notes, and some vanilla extract. There is some pleasant bittering hops that appear as the beer warms a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, and slightly chewy. A longer bitter finish.

Drinkability: With the lower ABV and the great taste make for a dangerous combination. It's good stuff. Highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

This pours a dark opaque color with a dark chocolatey head. The aroma is of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. The taste is also of roasted malts and chocolate. It tastes like tootsie rolls and coffee. The mouthfeel is pretty decent. medium carbonation. Its a very drinkable beer overall. I would definately recommend it.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

06/10/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber, undated, poured into my Rogue Dead Guy Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Black pour with a medium sized dirty chocolate head. Lacing was nice.

Smell- Mostly a light roasted malt and a touch of chocolate.

Taste- Very nice burnt chocolate taste as well as the standard coffee and roasted malt flavor. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel- A bit more more carbonated than expected, but still an easy sipper.

Drinkability- Rogue impresses once again. One of the best american stouts I have had to date. This one will be purchased again in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours as black as can be with a lacy tan head. The foam sticks around longer than many beers but eventually dissolves into a very fine layer.

Tastes strongly of roasted chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee in the background. The bitterness kills off any sweet tastes and makes this stout compliment food well, unlike many of its counterparts. Mouthfeel is thick with an enjoyable aftertaste.

This one could be the best of my favorite style. Highly recommended, although due to price concerns I'll likely stick with Obsidian for now.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Purchased from Midtown Wine and Spirits, Nashville, TN. 22oz bottle.

This brew deserves an extremely good reputation among beer geeks, especially hardcore BAs. I found it to be much-deserved.

Appearance was really very nice, with a thick brown head atop a pure black body. Absolutely no light shone through the brew. I wasn't expecting such a dark head -- I expect a head that color more from chocolate or sweet stouts than from American Stouts, but I certainly don't mind a dark head on a good beer.

Smell was very nice, smoky and oaty with a strong coffee smell. No real sweetness at all, and the aroma was powerful enough that I didn't even really notice a major hop presence -- a first for a Rogue brew.

The hops were very apparent in the taste, however. Very dry flavor, very strong hop profile, probably to-style but much more powerful than I was expecting. The dryness caught me off-guard a bit, but I found myself quickly getting used to the flavor and coming to greatly enjoy the beer. Unlike some other stouts I've had, the aftertaste, despite being drying to my throat, was actually quite pleasant -- like a really strong coffee.

Mouthfeel was nice here -- the first time I think I would use the word "chewy" to describe a beer. I started out taking large swigs from this beer, but as I finished it I was taking smaller sips so as to really savor the flavor and wash the brew around my mouth. Carbonation was present, but not overwhelming -- overall I found the mouthfeel nicely balanced.

I enjoyed this brew, and finished the 22oz bottle with no problems, but I think that one is enough of this brew for me. Not only the weight of the beer, but the aforementioned drying effect on my palate caused me to slow down as I finished the brew, and in general made me give the beer a slightly lower mark than I expected for drinkability. Nice to end a drinking session (and I do think the 22oz bottle is the perfect serving size for this beer), but not something I want every day.

Overall, this is the beer that Guinness Extra Stout only wishes it could be. A very nice and complex example of an American Stout, and one that I wish I could buy locally. I've got one more in the closet, and I'll be hoarding it for a special occasion for awhile, I think. The next time I see this one on-tap, I'm ordering one just to see how the CO2 effects the brew.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

A pour from a bomber produces a thick and frothy head, beautiful brown and chocolaty. A rich looking dark beer, with a dense mouthfeel, but not heavy. Nothing like those watery nitro-infused stouts. An aroma of burnt malt comes to you, then a full taste, with slight roasted notes and chocolate aftertaste. A pleasure to drink. A great stout and my favorite offering from Rogue. Try it.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Had on cask at Fatheads in Pittsburgh.
A: Served in a nice fat mug. Dark dark brown with a steamer of a head. Head was almost two inches, thick and sticky and brown in color. Nice lacing. Head was down to a collar about halfway through this beer.

S: Dark roasty malts. Nice level of a caramel/coffee aroma. Low level of hop aromas. Smells were just a bit too faint to score higher, but still very nice.

T: Sweet malty profile, notes of caramel. Mildly bitter coffee flavors throughout. Couldn't really taste any burnt flavors. Hops seem there just to balance out the sweetness and do it marvelously. Aftertaste is a nice lingering bitterness. Really good tastes.

M: Smooth and creamy and served at perfect temperature. Low feel of carbonation. Full and chewy body. Low alcoholic warmth.

D&N: Dangerously drinkable. I'm totally in love with cask conditioned dark beers now. If you see this one on cask, drop everything and go have a pint, you won't regret it.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

OLIVIA What's a drunken man like, fool?
CLOWN Like a drowned man, a fool, and a madman: one draught above heat makes him a fool, the second mads him, and a third drowns him. "Twelfth Night" (1.5.127-30)

Ale (similar to but heavier than beer) was the drink of choice in Shakespeare's day. Everyone from the poorest farmer to the Queen herself drank the brew made from malt, and a mini brewery was an essential part of every household. Shakespeare's own father was an official ale taster in Stratford.

Rogue's Stout would have drowned the Bard's father with wonderful taste wrapped in a cloak of darkness topped with a rich chocolate brown head. Aroma does not do justice to a taste toasted bitterness, thick malt, and perfect mouthfeel! Each sip ends in wonderment about the balance. It nearly defies description and certainly will take you away into a general joy that will likely be shared by all at the table that share its pleasures.

“(I) Drink to the general joy of the whole table” Macbeth: Macbeth, III, iv

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Impressive looking beer, the Darth Vader of stouts if you will. Right off the bat you can tell some serious time was put into this beer. Off color head that hung around for a while, is not lacing the far side of the pint glass.

Heavy chicory and smoke aromas. Taste comes through as a bit harsh and is dominated by the smokiness of the beer. Aftertaste is a little too bitter for my liking in this style.

If you look at this beer as comfort food you'll find that too much of anything albeit tasty might not be exactly what you needed.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet, every beer seems to taste good out of it.

Appearance: dark, nearly pitch black. Nice full caramel head with good retention.

Smell: Roasted barley, espresso, a little bit of cherries, chocolate, slight smoke aroma. I think this may be the most wonderful smelling stout I've had. Complex and bold, yet balanced.

Taste: I could swear there's a whole bar of rich dark chocolate in this goblet. At the same time, it isn't too sweet, nice cascade hop kick at the end. So smooth and creamy, perfect light carbonation. This is a masterpiece. Roasted malt lasts and lasts in the mouth.

Drinkability: Can't give it a 5, but I sure wish I had another bomber of this.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Very dark, basically black, with just a hint of dark brown highlights. This was topped by a dense, dark brown head that showed excellent retention. The aroma was quite malty, with some lightly roasted malts, chocolate, and just slightly burnt. Sweetness and fresh floral hops serve as a decent counterpoint. The flavour is really big, but balanced nicely between bitterness and rich malts. Chocolate and lactose-like sweetness counter the definite burnt malts. Bitterness is on the strong side, with plenty of floral and orange/citrus hoppiness. It had a long finish that emphasized bitterness and roasted malts, leaving the palate on the dry side. The texture was velvety smooth, low carbonation composed of fine bubbles, and a full body. This is great stuff... nice balance with plenty of flavour and a great finish.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Hard to find anything bad about this beer. Pours black with a one-finger tan head. Did not leave much lacing but was well-retained. Chocolatey coffee aroma and the same goes for the taste. You can also really notice the roasted malts and a good amount of hoppage as well. Great silky, creamy mouthfeel. Really coats the inside of your mouth nicely. Very drinkable for a stout as well. At $5 for a 22 oz. bomber you won't see me drinking this every night, but definitely a great beer and a great representation of its style as well.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a jet black color with no light penetration, and a large tan colored head that leaves nice lacing all the way down the glass, another beauty from rogue. The aroma is a complex blend of coffee, molasses, dark chocolate and maybe dark currants...incredible smell. The taste begins with a sweet blackstrap molasses taste, followed by a dark currant fruity taste as well as dark, bittersweet chocolate. Then you get a nice roasted coffee flavor and the beer finishes with a dry, roasted, hoppy bitterness that lingers on the tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and lightly carbonated which contrasts with the bitter finish of the beer quite nicely. Overall an exceptional stout, not the most drinkable but complex and extremely tasty. One of my favorite american stouts.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Dark brown with dark tan head. Smells of earthy malts and slight hops. Taste earthy malts with a bit of dark chocolate and coffee. Finishes with a nice touch of bitterness. Smooth creamy in the mouth. Very drinkable.

Notes:
Very enjoyable.
This is no Guinness, it has flavor.
Definitely one I must make Chili with

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales