1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

***300th Beer review***

Label Lore: Double labeled 12 oz’er. With a “World Stout Champion” stamp.

Huge gargantuan head pour that left two inches of brew foam from four inches of foam in me pint. As more brew pours, a volcano like brown shape is left in the head. Well, five minutes later this thing is poured. Poerfection in appearance, all the way, without a doubt. Pours as black brown as used motor oil from a ’71 Buick.

Scents of malts hit me from here. Citrous hints, most likely due to this behemoth pour.

First Swigs: Deep chocolate cake, dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate. A citrous lemon lime peel hop (cascade?) Background fronts the finish that quickly lingers off to sweet astringent citrous and pancake batter.

About as full bodied as full bodied gets. Foamy frothy filliong.

Last Swigs: Lime citrous, & dark chocolate. Hmmm…better than that sounds. Thanks to BA Buckeyenation for the bottle. Wish there were more to compare. Reminds me much-ly of Victory Storm King. #2 in style currently with 398 reviews. More than any other. This is debateably the best damn beer availible period due to at least some availibility factors. Damn good!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Another great beer from Rogue, I haven't gone wrong with them yet. Shakespeare Stout pours the color of coffee with an average-sized, medium brown head. The aroma is very inviting, a nice mixture of roasted chocolate and hops. Taste is initially hoppy with some tongue-tingling action. Sip finishes with a mixture of roasted coffee and chocolate flavors. These elements come together nicely and equal a balanced beer. My only complaint is that I wish the chocolate taste was more assertive. Great beer, however, too heavy for long sessions.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz. bottle pours a used diesel motor oil black with a brown head. Smells of dark roasted malts and burnt chocolate. Has a nice n' thick, chewy mouthfeel. The taste is of toasted, almost burnt malts with a chocolatey undertone. Finishes with a slightly burnt grain bitterness on the tongue.
A stout lovers stout for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: jet black with a quickly diminishing coffee brown head. good lacing.

Aroma: Roasty aroma with some malt and a very faint alcoholic smell.

Taste: roasted coffee bean. nice and bitter. full with a nice malt with a minimal hop profile. Balanced and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: nice and full with a moderate body and moderate carbonation. wonderfully bitter, dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer that I loved having after dinner.

Notes: Oh yeah this is a great example of an American Stout. Nearly flawless.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours with a thick creamy, light chocolate brown head that sits atop an opaque deep brown to black beer. The aroma is slightly acidic in its roastiness, and it has notes of chocolate, espresso, and alcohol. It has a creamy mouthfeel up front, and a sharp acidic roast malt bite in the finish. Espresso dominates over the chocolate, which is the opposite sense I got in the aroma. The dark malt notes of roasted barley, and burnt malt dominates this beer. Not much in the way of hops is noticeable above all of the roast character, but there is a nice hop bite in the finish that is a bit bracing and let you know that this beer is in fact 69 IBUs. A very nice stout that I have always had a soft spot for.

Pours a totally black color, with a nice malted-milk colored head. Smells of a chuck of chocolate. Taste is your typical stout, not too heavy, not too light, with a nice chocolate flavor and some bitterness.

This is quite a good brew, not too big (like an imperial stout), but not a lightweight either. Definitely a once-in-a-while beer though.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Sampled while in Vegas, from a brown 650 ml bottle, silk-screened label. Interesting, all of that info pertaining to the beer printed on the label, but no mention of an actual abv %. The body is a thick pitch black, impermeable to light, very impressive. Thick chunky tan head, dented with large bubbles. Massive lacing. Dark chocolate on the nose, some coffee, and noticable cascade hops. The flavour starts with bitter dark chocolate, some coffee and roasted malt nearing the middle, and complimented by the hop presence. Velvety, creamy mouthfeel. Only one of these per serving for me though, it's a little rough on the guts once the bottle has been emptied.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours an oily, black with a one finger head that lasts for a bit, no lacing.
Smell is of malt, malt, malt and some ripe, dark fruit with a bit of chocolate.
Taste is incredible sweet, dark, roasted malt, just as it starts to finish there is ripe dark fruits, then quickly followed by bitter, dry, chocolate, exspresso at the very end and stays forever. I Love a good stout!!!
Mouthfeel is full bodied and robust, creamy, nice carbination.
Drinkability is quite nice I could put few of these away sitting by a nice campfire in front of the family cottage with a gentle breeze coming off of the small, clear, spring fed lake under the Northern Michigan fall moon.

I have yet to find a Rogue product I don't like. This, however, is probably the best stout I have ever placed my hands on.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN.

Looks like black mud. Like a black hole, no light is getting through this one. Nice thick tan head that laced like crazy.

At first sip I was suprised that I wasn't inundated with flavor - the mouthfeel was thinner than expected and there was almost no flavor at all and then, bang! Licorice and fig flavors suddenly come through. Floral hops come in next. Roasted coffee flavors then dominate and last through the aftertaste, along with a hoppy bitterness. Very tasty stout with a strong hop presence.

On some sips, the flavor was immediate, while on other sips, the flavors were delayed. Taste was very reminiscent of Nailbiter. I would have preferred a thicker mouthfeel but a very nice beer nevertheless.

The many favorable reviews of this top ranked stout certainly caught my attention, but in the end, it seemed a bit over hyped. Shakespeare is a good stout - maybe even a great stout but it's not an earth-shattering superlative. It's more of a supermodel: very attractive, with a great body, but perhaps a bit light on complexity. It's still good, and I wouldn't kick it out of the bar. It just seems that aside from the magnificent tan head and gorgeous black body that there is little more to justify the attention. The roasted malt aroma is strong, but standard. The flavors are almost monochromatic with roast coffee notes and a bit of a cascade bite with only the subtlest coffee notes peaking through a fog of acrid and bitter notes.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours beautifully into my glass, a deep and dark black that continues to appear solid, even when held to a bright light. Even the edges are just slightly lighter, say charcoal, rather than betray this beer to having any color. A nice head settled in, but then faded down as I waited a bit for this beer to come to a proper temperature. At that point, the head came down to a thick film, with the usual Pacman "moon crater" divots in it.

Aroma was disappointing, being mostly of the yeast, with a few Cascade notes in the back. Nothing that really impressed me, to be honest.

The taste of this, I'm happy to report, was an improvement over the aroma, containing subtle chocolate notes, a smooth and low-key roastiness, and a distinct Cascade finish. This was never astringent or overly roasty, just right in the middle.

Mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I would have liked, but it wasn't shabby.

Drinkability, I feel, was again not great, but not terrible. A bomber was enough for me.

All in all, this isn't the first time I've had this beer, either from the bottle, or on tap, and it won't be the last. Perhaps the prototype for the overly hopped American Stout.

The Storm King may rule the kingdom, but it certainly cribbed some notes from this baby -- get what I'm sayin'?

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I’ve been waiting quite a while to give this beer a shot. I have to say, this is easily one of the best stouts I’ve ever had, and I LOVE stouts.

Pours a perfect deep black color that is brownish red when held to the light. Head is thick, heavy, and lasts near indefinitely. Smell is exceptional in it’s potency and allure, smells like a pure malt field, with elements of chocolate running throughout. Taste is quite good. Immediately complex, malty flavor is dominant with hints of fruit, cocoa, and quite sweet. Rogue brews consistently excellent beers, and here is one of their best. A must try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I had this out of a 22 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a jet black color. Dirty brown head that looks fluffy. Awesome lacings.

Smell is roasted malts and coffee.

Tastes of chocolate, molasses, and coffee. Slighty ripe bitterness on the finish. Robust and full flavored.

Great American stout.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

There is something about this beer that makes it shy of being a "great beer."

The appearance was awesome. Huge head all the way down the glass. Deep black color.... opaque.

Aroma...???? Having a tough time with this one. Appears to be very faint, not getting much hops or malt through the nose. Just a faint whiff of chocolate and dark crystals.

Taste? Pretty well balanced. However, finishes leaving you wanting for more. It's almost as if there are not enough flavor hops... a certain entity is tardy... or despondent altogether.

Pretty thin in the mouthfeel... expecting a fuller bodied brew.

All in all, this beer is moderately drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I was highly anticipating this beer as i am a big fan of porters and stouts and this seemed to have very top ratings.

This beer pours black as night with a nig big tan brown head, and bubbles creeping up the side of my brandy snifter. The aroma is very much of deep roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and some hops. The taste is huge. Wonderful rich thick roasted malts, a hint of chocolaty sweetness, and a little bitter hop kick to finish and balance it all off. The beer is garganguan and its rich creamy body coats the mouth as it is swallowed, yet very suprisinly it is very drinkble as it leaves me begging for more.

This stout is all that i anticipated and more, fantastic job by Rogue.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

When first becoming a BA I swore off this stout because of the intense burnt taste to it. Recently, when my local beer distributor got in a fresh batch, I decided to give it a go. I don't know if my first bottle was bad, or my tastes have simply matured, but wow. oh wow. Thick and rich this beer tingles all my senses. A mild nose, strongly of roasted and caramel malts. first taste has kind of a subdued sweetness, followed by a massive slam of stout goodness. Roasty, and a little chocolaty, this beer slams my senses. In the mouth it feels huge, part from the thick body, and part from the large flavor. As it leaves my mouth the chocolate flavor shines through.

wonderful, simply wonderful.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

The body is blacker than black. Spinal Tap would describe it as a "pastel black". The head is a hearty nut-brown color, not wussy off white. Black liquorices is in the smell, and something smelled a little sour. The mouth feel is smooth, no doubt. The first impressions are a burnt toast / dark roasted malt flavor. Followed by some bitterness. The after taste starts as chocolate and then progresses to a coffee / espresso flavor. I think this stout is a little too "in your face" for my liking, "this one goes to 11". If they kept all the same flavors, but just dialed down their intensity so they blend together better I would probably love it.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Beautiful, think, rich brown head. Long lasting. Black as night. Man this beer has my mouth watering. It really looks great.

I'm not really getting anything special in the nose. Some roasty toasty ness.

Tastes like dark roast coffee, chocolate, burnt toast.

I think it might be a touch thin, but not watery. Maybe too much carbonation.

Not what I'd call and easy drinker, but I could see having 2 or 3 in a session.

All in all, another good offering from the guys at Rouge.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

This was one of the blackest beers I have ever poured out, with a huge creamy tan head.

The aroma that I got was mainly of the roasted malts and alcohol... I would have preferred less of a pronounced alcohol aroma. It may have been an older bottle though.

The taste was of strong roasted barley. There were hints of bitter chocolate and some good hoppy bitterness as well.

The mouthfeel was not as big to me as the flavor was. I thought it could have had a little more body.

Would I drink another, Yes, but not right away. Too many other beers to try before I revisit this one... build more of a palette before going back.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

From a 22 oz bottle.

Appearance: A beautiful black beer with a nice dark brown head. And it was a lot of head at that. This beer had great head retention with excellent lacing.

Smell: Great roasted smell, kind of like coffee.

Taste: Here's where the beer goes downhill. To me this was not that exceptional of a stout. It was a decent stout whith a good roasted flavor, but I did not get any of the citrusy hops that other reviewers described. There was also a sort of ash like flavor. I also did not perceive the chocolate flavor that I keep hearing that this beer has. Above average, but not great.

Mouthfeel: Very good and full bodied, just the way I like my stout.

Drinkability: Similar to the flavor, this was average average, but not great.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Maybe something happend on the long trip from Oregon to West Virginia. I don't know, but this beer did not live up to my expectations. I may try it again, but at almost five bucks for a 22 oz bottle, I am quite hesitant. I have had better West Coast Stouts and would rather spend seven bucks on a six pack of Sierra Nevada Stout than Five on one bottle of this. Your mileage may vary.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

I've been holding on for this bottle for awhile. Pours a crude oil black with a phenomenal caramel tan mocha head that is incredible, the cake laced froth will coat the glass throughout the session. The smell is the normal mocha espresso/chocolate roast that is pleasing, this stout however didn't have much else to add, the smells weren't heavy either. The taste was lighter than expected, more roasted or bbq wood/grain, hints of coffee, misses that sweet caramel/chocolate I've come accustomed to, good but not great, medium bodied and cleanses the palate to invite you back for more, a good solid stout, I thought would be great though.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

This already has a lot of reviews from many better reviewers than myself, so I will be short.

Basics:

This beer is dark dark dark with a great copper head that lingers. The aroma is crisp, malty, so refreshing somehow. Mouthfeel is fairly light for a stout, but just fine in my opinion. Great taste. (Boring)

What I really like about this Stout is that it has all the great charactoristics of a traditional stout, with a GREAT hoppy bitterness that stays with you the rest of the night. There are lots of roasted malts, chocolate malts, etc, but this brew is (from my experience thus) incomparably smooth, flavorful, and clean...with just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess to make it great, but not overly cloy-ish or like milk. I will be drinking this the rest of my life and I recommend you do as well.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer arrived pitch black with a brown tall head which lasted to lace...no coat...the glass.

The aroma was chocolate and coffee, fruity, with a nice hop presence.

The flavor was chocolate with coffee with a very well accomplished hop bitterness and American hop presence.

The finish was dry with chocolate and coffee and hop bitterness lasting well into the aftertaste. The body was full.

Pint at Barley's in Knoxville.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Once upon a time Rogue brewed its masterful ales in Ashland, OR, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Ashland is a small town with about six Shakespeare theaters and it seems as though every waitress and bartender is an actor of some stripe. The flood of ’96 washed out Rogue’s Ashland operation and the brewery expanded into its present location in Newport. But the Shakespeare theme has endured and Shakespeare Stout is a Rogue milestone.

Everything good you’ve ever heard about this beer is true. It is black as night, full-bodied and opaque, and has a luxurious chewy mouthfeel. The aroma is dry – faint though fragrant. The lace is flawless, and the taste is creamy and dry with a delicate brush of mocha. The finish lingers like a church bell in the mist.

I drank this at the Rogue Public House in Newport and found it to be a world class stout, mellow enough for sessions. A true champion.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

i grabbed a big-ass bottle of this stout at gooski's in polish hill(pittsburgh). cool painted bottle with good ole bill shakespeare on it. pours a pitch black with an earth colored, billowing head. smell is chocolate coffee with a little hops in the back. taste was a delicious match of hops and chocolate malts that go down smooth. mouthfeel was heavy and a little syrupy, little carbonation. very drinkable, very good stout

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales