Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Well not much I can say, that hasn't already been stated. I thought this was great. Jet black color, very thick, is it going to make it out of the bottle ? Nice thick tan head, little oily drops dancing on top. Smell was sweet and bitter at the same time. I really noticed the roasted fruit and malt. Tasted better than it smelled.Very even taste, sweet, the fruit, malt, and touch of hops as well. Very good, mesermerizing beer, I just looked at it and wondered how it could taste so good. This also at the top of my list. I have only 1 left of 6. Bummer.

StevieW, May 22, 2002
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Deep opaque color; dark as night. Deep tan head with loose carbonation. Big chocolate nose. Flavor is part creamy, part bitter, but with an incredible lightness for such a flavorful beer.

Andy, May 12, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Heard a lot of good things about this sucka, and I wasn't disappointed. Black color, a huge, tan, creamy head, and excellent lacing. Very nice nose: a mix of roasty, malty and chocolate notes. Presented itself well in the body/smoothness departments. Superb flavor! Roasted malt and bitter chocolate in a rich mix, along with some hops at the dry finish. Good stuff!

overall: 4.3
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

Bierman9, May 12, 2002
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

I can add little to the consecrating that's been done over this beauty by the reviewers who drank the bottles I wish I now had in front of me.

Rather than the charcoal that Drew noted, I picked up a "cleanness," a difficult to define taste/mouthfeel thing that I've noted most usually in beers from Maine (I know, this one's from the other side of the country) - maybe the water/yeast has something to do with it? "Cleanness" is a quality that allows all of the beers complexities to come through - think about the mouthfeel you get from water from an ice-cold mountain spring. The beer equivalent of a full-range electrostatic speaker.

Whatever. Please, sir, may I have another?

sponberg, May 11, 2002
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

One of, if not THE most gorgeous beers I have ever had the pleasure of beholding. Pours ink black (not even anything peeking out around the edges) with a massive, mousse-like brown head.

Smells of mocha with hints of carmel and hops.

Taste hits you with some milk chocolate, smooth sweet oats (earthy as well), with a subtle coffee backdrop. Finish blasts you with a big acidic roastedness (like raw coffee bean...or huge expresso) mixed with the cascades. Very bitter on the finish. Balances out the early sweetness well.

Only qualm: the hops seem to pierce through the body at the finish..makes it seem less full-bodied than it really is. Dare I say, tone the trademark hoppiness down and this would be perfect. Just a minor complaint, still, damn fine. BTW: I like this baby warmed up to mellow the hops and bring out the most in the body.
This is a beer to drink and drink and drink and drink.....

The Bard would be proud of this.
Get thee to the brewery

cokes, May 06, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Man, this is an awesome stout. Pours out motor oil black, darkest beer I've seen in a long time. The head was light brown, not massive, but ample and smells of roasted malt. Then comes a complete flavor explosion upon entering the mouth. We got sweet chocolate, coffee, a sort of charcoal, and earthy flavors all combining for make one of the most complex stouts I've had. It went down smooth easy, like the good stuff it is. I was going to have dinner with this but ended up being dinner itself. It finished off with a almost undecernable bitterness. This is one of the best and I highly recommend it.

DrewS, May 02, 2002
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Very nice dark cannot see light through it...Good sign.Nice malty and slight mint on the nose.Deep mocha malt in your mouth,with a medium dry finish.

sprinkle, Apr 25, 2002
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

It's black and beautiful. Many flavors are bouncing off each other: chocolate, coffee, and others I haven't yet been able to put my finger on. However, it wasn't quite as chunky as I expected. I would like to try it on draught.

mickeymac, Apr 24, 2002
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A bomber for breakfast...

This may well be the best stout I've ever tasted. It was as black as a starless midnight with a thick creamy brown head. Interesting, and damn fine, aroma of roasted barley and a bit of citrusy hops. Nice thick, rich stout with an incredible flavor!

Viking, Apr 20, 2002
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Midnight black with one of the darkest heads ever, deep auburn with those even darker last drips from the pour. Really great lace as well, intricate crown-of-thorns patterns. Sweet smell, some whiffs of dehydrated, concentrated strawberry. Darn-near perfect mouthfeel, heavy and rich but not at all syrupy. Chocolate flavors with a hint of vanilla and berry in a very consistent statement. Solid roast and an impressive and distinguishing hop bite to the back flavor. This is a dang OUTSTANDING Stout, just first rate in all categories. Man, it is good.

ADR, Apr 17, 2002
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This is as high as I think I've ever rated a beer. Wonderful, outstanding, refreshing, flavorful....I could go on and on. This pours to a beautiful dark color with amber hints in the lace and foam. A wonderful mouthfeel is followed by a near-perfect taste all the way through. There is something magical that happens to stouts when oats are added. It becomes a food, an event, a happening and not just a drink. Yum.

proc, Apr 08, 2002
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Oh my gosh, this was a good beer. I'm a huge stout fan to start with, but this is a great stout. The appearance was great. It was like a big black mass topped by a lightly colored chocolate milkshake. The head was very creamy, especially considering it wasn't nitrous dispensed. Allergy season is kicking in right now so I couldn't get much out of the smell, but what I did get was nice. The taste is great, a little more roasted/burned bitterness than most of the other stouts I've tried, but it was backed up by a full, rich flavor. Combined with the mouthfeel it tasted like a drinking a glass of thin chocolate milk with a good bit less lactic sweetness (although I may have picked up some of that) and a healthy shot of dark chocolate espresso. This beer would be frightening if nitrous dispensed.

aracauna, Mar 27, 2002
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Starts by pouring a nice coffee black with a dark tan / copper head that is very creamy. Notes of roasted malts among other things in the aroma. Roasted malts come upfront on the palate then finishes with nice notes of chocolate in the aftertaste. Very smooth mouth feel.
Every beer that I had from Rogue was great! They have so many great beers!

WilliamPhilaPa, Mar 26, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Seriously hopped up stout. A strong pour will give you a beautiful chocolate milk head that leaves a spidery lace. Roast malt body finishes clinging dry grapefruit. More hop flavor than your typical stout makes this beer a treat. Well worth a taste if you've only tried Irish stouts.

inebrius, Mar 20, 2002
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This is one of my favorite stouts. Long lasting aroma, long lasting creamy head, and it also comes in a cool 650ml bottle.

WORT, Feb 27, 2002
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

if only my morning coffee was this good.....pours out black with a vigorous brown head which unfortunately died too quickly. hints of burnt caramel and chocolate malts with a subdued cascade hops aroma....the taste is exceptional with bitter malts and hops balancing out the profile...a burnt coffee finish with the hops lingering on....but the hops aren't overwhelming which of course is desired in a stout...but the hops (of course...it's a rogue) dance on the tounge enough to break up any creamy slickness that is usual for stouts. a "hophead" stout for sure, but balanced enough to appeal traditional stout drinkers. yummy!

budgood1, Feb 22, 2002
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark tan head that is both creamy and lacy, sticks to the side of your glass as you drink it. Massive roasted smell compared to other stouts, with a hint of astringency. BIG Roasted barley assault upfront on the palate with a strong hop bitterness and no hop aroma, slight aftertaste of licorice and bitter chocolate. Thick mouthfeel that also seems to "fizz" on your tounge slightly. This is a big, bold, black and beautiful stout, and why I love the style... very heavy, which is what I drink a stout for...

hooligan, Feb 17, 2002
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

My first Rogue. This is a great looking beer, pitch black with a light brown, foamy head. Oddly, the aroma is almost nonexistent. What strikes me is the carbonation, both the look of it as you swirl it in your glass, and the feel of it on your tongue. I couldn't detect much chocolate in the taste, but rather a very dark (almost burnt) espresso. Overall, a nice beer, and an impressive introduction to Rogue.

mophie, Feb 16, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pitch black, dark tan head. Full bodied, rich, malty, yet bitter-sweet. Cocoa and smoked notes. Like an oatmeal stout and a porter in one. Very filling. Unfortunately my 22oz bottle cost $4.

Jordan, Feb 08, 2002
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Opaque, black appearance. Faint aroma. Coffee malt taste with pleasant bitter aftertaste. Reasonably full bodied with a creamy texture. Pretty good stout, very smooth and mellow.

John1985, Dec 20, 2001
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Deep black with a frothy creamy tan lace.

Smell: Hints of burnt caramel, roasted barley and citric hop make for a very appealing aroma.

Taste: Very very smooth with a creamy malty mouthfeel and some malt crispness. A rich balanced blend of roasted barley, malt sweetness and hop bitterness. In the finish is a chocolaty and coffee after taste with a touch of citric hop and residual sweetness.

Notes: This is a cult classic American stout, drink and learn. Balanced to perfection and a sheer delite to drink.

Jason, Nov 19, 2001
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I opened a twelve ounce bottle that I had been keeping for a cold day. Having had this before, I knew what I was in for. I love the bitterness combined with sweetness. A slight burnt flavor gives keeps you on your toes. It did not have much of a head, so I was a little dissapointed. But hey,what a beer.

AaronRed, Nov 18, 2001

Exceptional pretty much sums up this fave stout of mine.Reminds me of a Sierra Nevada stout kicked up a couple o' notches. Roasty, chocolaty & chewy...I think you could stand a spoon on end in this one! Can Rogue do no wrong I ask?

beerluvr, Nov 04, 2001
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Awww yeeah; this is the good, good stuff.

nklatt, Oct 31, 2001
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Full bodied stout that starts out with intense roasted malt and barley and finishes with subtle hop bitterness. One of the better stouts I've quaffed.

QXSTER1, Oct 19, 2001