Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A-- jet black...no light from my flame passes through...dark creamy sticky lacing and head...almost looks like bubbles in chocolate milk..

S--definet chocolate and coffee on the nose first...hops in the backround...cascade i believe...light oat smell...very inviting..

T--immediate roasted malts and chocolate flavors...gives way to slight hops but that could be due to the bottle sitting to long as the first time i had this the hops were very present..malty and a bit sweet but not at all near cloying..just right..

M+D-- thought it would be thicker than it is but it is still a touch creamy...making it very drinkable and easy going...can finish a whole bomber easily and then some..

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Beautiful khaki head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smell is of chocolate and a nice earthy-ness.

Taste and mouthfeel were extremely rich with a good roasted flavor and plenty of bitter. Very nice.

Drinkability was decent, a little too much roasted flavor for me to want more than one at a time.

OVerall this was a pretty good beer. Not my style of choice, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours almost black out of the bottle, looks black in the glass. Ample amount of light brown, foamy head.
S - Smell is slightly sweet, subtle note of chocolate.
T - Taste is dry and earthy with a bitter chocolate aftertaste.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy and creamy.
D - Very drinkable Nice even flavors, no rough edges. Good for a heavy beer, maybe a little filling though.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Dark black, small brown head dissipates quickly, leaving behind minimal lacing.
S: Very roasty. Smells of freshly ground coffee.
T: Super smooth, nice dark malt character, burnt cookies. Mildly sweet.
M: Very dry, clean feel to it.
D: Good, but I think I'd really have to be in the mood to have this one again.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured opaque black with very small, brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt aroma. A bit of citrus.

The hops kind of smack you in the face. The roast malt and coffee are underneath but are overpowered by the hops. Very flavorful and complex.

Acidic feel. Low carbonation. Heavy body

The hops are a bit too much for my personal taste, but if you like hops, you will love this stout. Nice change of pace, but I will probably not make this one a regular purchase.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

had this a while ago recovering my notes from last summer

pours black with very tan head that is thick smells of chocolate roasted coffees and malts also there tasted of chocolates with roasted coffee and one can detect the presence of some hops this all mixes together to make one great beer

ive had this beer many times and i definitely recommend it to anybody who loves stouts

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%

Black/Dark Brown with a super thick, creamy, and persistent latte head.

Smells malty sweet light coffee and a little hops

Tastes are malty and light coffee as well. Not as full in flavor as I hoped for. The funky acid taste towards the end was also unwelcome.

Very smooth and greasy. Ends dry. the taste of alcohol is faintly present.

Not as good as I was expecting it to be. The full and roundness of a great or even good beer just weren't there. Decent and palatable.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I saved this one for the last beer of the night, which helps to explain why my notes are so hard to read. Aroma was chocolate and hops. Taste was coffee and chocolate. My light-beer-drinking roommate wrote down "soy sauce" for some reason. I didn't find it salty or tasting anything like soy sauce. After drinking Rogue Mocha Porter I was expecting more of a hop presence. Still a very good stout, but the Shakespeare seemed closer to Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout than some of the other Rogue beers I've tried. Perhaps the preceding SN Celebration dulled my taste buds.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Like most Rogues Ive had on tap my only complaint is the lack of carbonation.

The aroma is stunning. It has so many layers. Chocolate, coffee, citrus, melon, a hint of yeasty bready goodness, just to name a few.

The taste is possibly even more complex. I have this one anywhere from one to three times a week at my local taproom and it seems to vary a little with every keg. Most interesting of recent was the aftertaste of honeydew and a bit more roasted dryness in the finish. Lots of green grapefruity hops, cocoa, coffee, and sweet bread.

Obviously it's solid black.

It's nice and heavy in the mouth, on the pleasant side of sweet, not a lot of carbonation, but with a beer this heavy you don't want to many bubbles lest you get prematurly blotted. It has a long finish that you taste well into the night, even if you drink other beers after it.

I tend to get full after about two pints, but I can usually squeeze in a third.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%