Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Appreance- Looks absolutely scrumptious with choclately tones and smooth stout medium head

Smell- Aromas just do not match the look, there is a faint nutty choclate mix, hazelnut maybe, but overall the smell is not punctual or alluring

Taste- Smooth, easiest to drink stout I have ever experienced; however, it does not pop at all and finishes kinda boring

Mouthfeel- Goes down soooo smooth, gentle and light

Overall- Good solid beer, but not Rogue worthy and defiantly not 90+...great winter drinking beer

Jdouble777, Aug 11, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

CanadianHobbit, Sep 21, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

a: very dark with a creamy brown head

s: coffee, hints of chocolate

t: strong roasted coffee taste, as well as hints of chocolate, malty, ends with a pleasant hoppy bite, reminds me of an imperial stout

m: thick, nice level of carbonation, coats the mouth

d: have another!

one of the best stouts i've ever had, its something to legit look forward to relaxing with after a hard day.

JakeSuperior, Sep 17, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Presentation: A pint bottle poured into a tulip glass. It was accompanied with light brie cheese.

Appearance: Poured a deep brown and settled to black rendering the glass opaque. The head was quite generous, at least an inch, and bubbly and a light brownish-tan color. After subsiding the head retained throughout drinking and left a light lacing on the tulip glass.

Smell: Perhaps the most inviting part of this oatmeal stout. I was at once presented with a smoky and coffee scent. There was also some chocolate and even some caramel present. The aroma was very clean and inviting. I really did look forward to the smell upon each sip.

Taste: Consistent with the smell. Prominent notes of smoky coffee tempered with a lightly-earthy and bittersweet chocolate. It really was well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated. Felt rather light for its style yet there was even some subtle chewiness to it.

Overall: This really was a fantastic beer. A complex smell & taste, while maintaining a humble balance. I'm looking forward to the next one. How did I feel upon finishing?

"Parting is such sweet sorrow."
-William Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet II.ii)

infinitejester, May 16, 2011

woodsyy, Feb 17, 2012

CraftyCleric, Apr 20, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

SDSOUZA, Jun 28, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This is one of my favorite stouts. Long lasting aroma, long lasting creamy head, and it also comes in a cool 650ml bottle.

WORT, Feb 27, 2002
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

The pour is very dark. It reminds me of coffee.

The head is creamy and brownish beige and smells a bit nutty. The head left almost no lace on the glass as it receded.

The taste is of chocolate and roasted malt flavor. There is a bit of bitterness. Some of the bitterness and roasted flavors stay with you until you take the next sip.

The mouthfeel was super smooth with a medium body. This is definately an easy drinker and a good candidate for a sesion beer.

Thinking about it makes my mouth water. I think I'll have another.

TackleDummy, Feb 05, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

I am a fan of the works of William Shakespeare. So when I sit down to read one of his plays, I like to pop open a bottle and sit and read.

I like this stout it's very robust and understated. It has a nice bitterness that I enjoy in a stout. It also has a good after taste.

I enjoy drinking this stout along with some fish and chips.

I would definitely recomend this stout to everyone. You will enjoy it immensely.

Morningstar, Feb 01, 2007

I'm not sure what to say. This is (and the chocolate stout) are the only stouts I have liked. Very dark color, good head, smooth, tasted like I think a stout should taste. I must make the comment length longer, so I am adding this sentence to make my comment longer. I really have no other thoughts on this beer. I will be buying again though.

andyf847, May 06, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

What a wonderful beer. Comes in 22 oz. size only, as far as I can tell. Pours black, with a big head for a stout. Smells great: coffee, chocolate, smoke, and a sweetness your nose can detect. And it tastes like it smells and is quite sweet, though it's thinner than I expected, thinner than Guiness. If it was thick, it'd be a perfect, if expensive, every day beer. $5 at Armanetti on Lincoln just south of Addison. Say hi to Dave.

beernightscout, Nov 19, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Pours black, with some slight amount of light getting through around the edges. Tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving some lacing.

S - Earthy, with some slight toasted notes. Pleasing, but a little weak.

T - Absolutely delicious from start to finish. Starts off with charcoal and toasted bread flavors, and finishes with hints of dark chocolate, more charcoal, and some coffee as well. Malty throughout, with a little hop bitterness coming through at the end. Very well crafted.

M - Not too much carbonation, and nicely creamy.

D - One of the most drinkable stouts I've had. Despite the great concentration of flavor and opaque appearance, I found myself going on to the second glass without much thought.

Overall, this is one of the best stouts I've tried. Great balance and drinkability, and terrific flavor.

LiquidLord, May 28, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Very good pour from a bomber, dark with a nice light amber head. Good smell not too strong like some stouts. Some earthy and coffee tones. Tastes good at first drink, and is smooth with not a lot of alcohol taste. Lacks the creaminess of a great stout. Also like the Rogue Chocolate stout, it almost has an over carbonated feel to it. Probably would not buy again.

HopHeadJimmy34, Jan 08, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. From the fridge, let it warm for approx. 15 min.

A - Dark, dark brown. About a 1/2 inch of sand-colored head. Medium lacing.
S - Slightly toasty.
T - Seemed a bit on the hoppy side for what I'd expect from a stout. Got some of the toastiness too, but the hops were a little overwhelming.
M - Light carbonation, neither thin not thick.
O - Nothing to get either really excited about or complain about. Very average, I might feel better about it if it wasn't so pricey. Would have preferred to taste the malt more.

maltmelon, May 12, 2011

Mtntrout, Dec 30, 2011

LifeOfLeisure, Oct 29, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Without being as weak as Guiness, the scores I gave for taste and drinkability are about the highest I will ever give a stout. I am not much of a stout drinker, but I definitely gained new respect for the name "stout". After drinking too many creamy, almost fluffy, stouts, I had forgotten how deep a beer's flavor can go. The bouquet was perfect and, even though it didn't fit my tastes, the flavor was very diverse, hitting the normal chocolate and coffee a stout brings, but also hiding a hint of honey. Definitely the highlight of my night.

ddellarocca, Nov 02, 2005

Come on, it is a stout that makes all others bow to it. One of the best beers, no matter what style , ever brewed and drank in my opinion. Oh yeah....
22 once bottle bought in a 12 pack at a distributor in Pittsburgh, PA (we can not buy beer in supermarkets, gas stations, ect., there are dedicated distributors for beer).

taste - slight chocolate with a overtone of mussels (maybe it is just me)?

appearance - black beauty with fine carbonation that lingers around with an agresive pour into a 20 ounce Guinness glass.

mouthfeel - wants more, smooth and delicious with the carbonation lacing nicely on the glass and the teeth, I suppose.

smell - chocolate, cofffee-ish (a made a new word) excellence that dissapates slowly and enhances the subtle tones of seafood (again, maybe it is me).

drinkability- at $66.00 a case this is a bargain in my mind....Chimay brand can have it's $150.00 a case nose into the air but must look at the kid kicking it in the shins...enjoy

fascistfaction, Aug 31, 2008
4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured a beautiful Ebony Color out of a growler into my mason jar.

The smell is dark roasted grains with coffee undertones

The taste is still magnificent, Oatmeal, dark chocolate with hops in the background. I turned 21 and bought a bottle when the brewery was still in Ashland.

Yummy

BobMagruder, May 23, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

What an awesome experience.
A Esspresso brown with a carmel colored head, great lacing.

S Reminded me of mollasses, sweet, pungent and enticing

T Hoppy for a stout, not excessivly bitter, nice chocolate/coffee mix with a little citrus rind mixed in.

M Can I say heaven in my mouth?

D I would have to say Yes, draft, bottle or from someone elses glass

mikegodat, Oct 15, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - Dark Brown, light head
Smell - Chocolaty
Taste - Nice Chocolaty after taste
Mouth Feel - Nice full taste, not too heavy
Drinkability - I'll definitely be buying this again
This is a great beer, The way it should be. Buy It. Drink It. Enjoy It. Best I've had yet.

augusta, Nov 22, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Norsk, Jan 19, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

A: excellent caramel colored head, deep dark brown (ebony) appearance, subtle carbonation. The head speaks to me and says "drink me".

S: sweet, roasty, chocolate smells

T: A first deep sip initially makes me aware of its roasty, chocolate taste. Aftertaste displays its true roast flavor as the initial chocolate taste fades away.

Mouthfeel: heavy but yet very smooth. Feels like velvet on my toungue

D: The smoothness of the beer makes it very easy to drink. Don't even dare to chug this beer or drink it fast because this beer is too superior to be mistreated like a busch light during a drinking game at a frat party.

pb342, Dec 18, 2008