John John Juniper - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Juniper Pale Ale aged in Spruce Gin Barrels.

11 Ingredients:
Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, C-15 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ malts.
Styrian, Golding, Amarillo & Rogue Hopyard Willamette hops.Juniper
Berries Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3.2º Lovibond

(Beer added by: david18 on 07-15-2010)
Reviews by Patrick999:
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

I'll preface this by admitting that I have no idea what a beer aged in gin barrels might taste like. Yet, being a fan of both gin and the regular Juniper Pale Ale, I'm happy to give this a go.

Poured it into a Stella goblet, it seemed like an appropriate vessel shape for this beer. Attractive sunny pour and bone-white foam that takes a little while to recede.

I poured this too cold, because I really got nothing in the aroma. Thankfully, it does open up considerably with just a little warming. I like this aroma very much - it has a lemon-flowery hop character, almost Sorachi Ace-like. And plenty of sweetly-floral botanicals and berries. Lot of botanicals, and I swear I get hints of chocolate and mesquite too. To me this aroma is excellent.

Taste is very Rogue, with the affectations of the Pac-Man yeast - clean and very dry. You get a good thick graininess, bitter flowers and bitter berries. Not overly bitter at first, but the bitterness does build on you. The barrels are mostly well-behaved here, but you do get some nice gin flavor at the back end as well as a little coconut, ostensibly from the gin barrels. The barrels may well be too timid for some reviewers, but I think the concept mostly works. I'd wager gin barrels throw off more subtle flavors than say, bourbon barrels. I like it.

Mouthfeel is lively, spiky. High coarse carbonation.

I'm kind of enthralled with the idea of throwing lower-ABV beers into barrels, especially those that once held gin. While John John isn't necessarily a masterwork, it's still plenty enjoyable. Worth a try, especially for the BAs who also enjoy a nice gin from time to time. I think I'm going to pour a little measure of Bombay Sapphire into my last glass here and see how it goes...

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Pale and golden, pretty typical pale ale look. The aroma and flavor is lacking big time. There is very little going on in this beer period There might be a slight hint of juniper/hop bitterness on the back palate. Drinkability depends on if you want to spend a lot of money on an essentially bland beer. Other than that, I can't smell much and I don't taste much. What a sad, overpriced, waste of time. It is pretty clean though.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Juniper ale aged in juniper barrels. Really?
In a pint glass the beer was a golden color with a thick white head that resembled whipped cream. Nicely carbonated. So far so good.
Not much aroma, some sweet malt.
Not much taste, malt and, if I really convince myself, some juniper.
A bit sharp in the mouth.
Not a beer I'd want a lot of.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Well, I love Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale and hate gin in general, so here goes!

Cloudy light copper pour, nice creamy foam that faded quickly.

Smells woody. Piney even. hint of berry.

First impression of the taste: I like it. Tastes much like it smells. Feels like you're drinking something herbal.

Full bodied, but fairly easy to drink. faint hint of the gin on the finish. I like it though. just the right amount.

This would be great with Thanksgiving dinner. I think I'll try to stow a few away...

2.23/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks pretty good in terms of color--nice orange hue--and some sudsy (but not frothy) sides. Looks maybe a little thin. Smell is scary. I do get juniper and gin...and spruce pine. I get, though, a solvency. Like thinking of gin days of yore, I tend to grimace upon each whiff.

Astringent. It's crazy, and I like crazy. But it's not too tasty. The feel is the worst--like spiked Sprite. Each smell becomes menacing. Am I gin-biased? If you are, I don't recommend this one. There's a tingle, but then there's potent chemical acidifying with destruction your oro-nasal passage. I feel like I could light it on fire. We ask for this crazy shit, and we got it. This is why there's more of a return to the basics in my near future.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a tulip glass a pale translucent yellow/gold with a one finger white head. Great lacing.

The scent is strong of Spruce. Which brings me to a point I need to make. When you get right down to it, I have no idea what Juniper berries smell or taste like. My problem is that Rogue doesn't sell Juniper Pale Ale in Texas. So I can't go grab one of those to compare it to this John John.

That being said, there is a slight sourness to the flavor of this brew. It's odd because it's a rather "green" tasting flavor which makes me want to lean to a Spruce flavor. It's a taste much like the scent of spruce, which I know well. But for a beer that has been aging in Gin Barrels, regardless of the wood, I can't find any Gin in the taste.

The mouthfeel is a little dry, but overall very solid. Making this an interestingly drinkable odd brew.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

John John Ale 22oz bomber shared with Jim last night. Very nice appearance, cloudy orange/copper color with bubbly white head. Interesting floral aroma that must be the juniper berries. Taste is pleasant, spicy with some hops and pine. I was worried when I saw that it was aged in gin barrels but the gin flavor is a mild under taste that didn't bother me. Wasn't bad but nothing I would have again.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this on claseout after it had gone sour in the bottle, which ended up being pretty good and interested me in checking out the beer that was intended.

It's orange but on the paler side of it, with a pale orange-tinted head acheiving just more than half a finger. Retention is moderate to good and lacing remains more spottily than anything, but with some patches.
There's lots of malts, and it offers a solid complexity of caramel and bread, but not lacking in hops. It's got a fruity element before pine and spruice tips (no kidding) some out, with the gin very evenly tempered. The boozy heat is kept at a lower level; that seems like a good thing, because I can imagine the gin getting pretty hard and being way over the top.
The flavor is sweeter than expected, both from caramel and from fruits. Pine is still strong in here. Something lemony adds a sort of tartness and a mintiness I assume is from juniper makes itself known underneath.
The body is a solid medium but thins a little at the end of every sip as the booze sneaks in. It's got a moderate crispness and is pretty smooth overall. A woody note hovering in the finish is good until a little whisper of astrincency sneaks in.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Served from a 22oz cage and cork bottle to a tasting glass. It poured a golden color with slight white lacing, bubbles rising to the top all the while. Got to taste this brew over a friends house during a beer tasting. This jumped out as one of the most original brews served. I was told that it was brewered in juniper berry barrels that once housed gin. You can definitely taste this in the beverage.

Found it very similiar to belgian golden ales, but also had the bitterness of hops added to it. Refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A new Rogue bomber 'round these parts - don't mind if I do...what the hell? 3 bucks more than the typical offering? Ah, spirit barrel aged, I see now, sort of...

This beer pours a hazy pale straw hue, with two fingers of thin puffy white head, which leaves some sparse webbed lace around the glass as it recedes. Its smells of biscuity barley grain, lightly resinous, earthy botanicals, and green forest aromas. The taste is bready, biscuity malt, astringent spruce needles, some buttery, whiskey-like oakiness, and leafy, weedy hops. The carbonation is on the low side, the body a bit light, but smooth, and it finishes dry, earthy, mossy, and root-like, with some mild warming alcohol.

Not being a huge fan of gin, it was nice to see that the gin barrel didn't have an overpowering effect on the base pale ale. The result is an approachable herb-influenced beer, interesting in its conception, but overall, still a bit too much like consuming forest undergrowth for me to want another.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden orange, with a remarkable white 4-finger froth for a head. It takes a few minutes for the head to settle into a thick, sticky lacing.

Smell - Sour berry is the dominant aroma, and I also detect a little straw. That's about it.

Taste - Wow! An almost overwhelming berry sourness bites at the tongue then mellows out to a sweet note. Also a touch touch of spiciness. A bit of citrus bitterness comes in at the end and rides out into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Nice dry, medium body, and the carbonation is almost champagne-like. Really pops in the mouth.

Overall - This is a unique beer, and I dig that. The barrel aging takes the Juniper Pale Ale to another level, more so than the whiskey does for Dead Guy in the other John John varietal.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz bottle, served in a standard pint glass

A - pours with an inch of loose, fluffy bright white foam. the beer is just a touch hazy (assuming chill) pale gold in color with a good amount of active bubbling. leaves behind a fair amount of chalky, sticky foam spotted around the glass.

S - herbal, with mint, thyme, basil, pine and juniper coming through very clear. also picking up some bright grassy hops and a Brett-like scent...actually reminds me a bit of Orval.

T - some lightly toasted grains, spicy herbs: mint, juniper, hints of basil and thyme, and again a Bretty like yeast bite. very pleasant, bright grassy and piney hops add an assertive bitterness which works nicely with the herbs.

M - thinnish yet slick body, but lacks carbonation preventing the flavors from really settling. lightly astringent, yet still mostly drinkable. finishes a touch dry, with lingering herbal notes and a light grassy bitterness.

D - not bad, considering the potential to go awry (aging an APA in Gin barrels? - kudos to Rogue for the cajones). actually a bit more refreshing and drinkable the deeper down the glass I go. going solo here, might go well with some sharp cheese or even slightly spicy Thai food.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Note: You have to like gin to like this beer.

App: Amber with a beefy head that is thick and stickyyy

Smell: Fruity hops back by the spiciness of gin and spruce.

Taste: A unique flavor. Slight toasty malt, but the focus is in the finish: Slightly sweet hops with firm bitterness. Strong, spicy presence of the gin and wood that give the beer a dry finish.

Medium body with light carbonation.

Not something to have all the time, but certainly a wonderful treat.

John John Juniper from Rogue Ales