John John Juniper - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Juniper Pale Ale aged in Spruce Gin Barrels.

11 Ingredients:
Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, C-15 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ malts.
Styrian, Golding, Amarillo & Rogue Hopyard Willamette hops.Juniper
Berries Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3.2º Lovibond

(Beer added by: david18 on 07-15-2010)
1.35/5  rDev -62.5%

I love experimentation but sometimes it doesn't work... the ingredients were enticing but the smell and taste was rough! I had to drain it down the sink....yuk...

It smells of pine and juniper in an unappealing way... taste is bitter with the kind of taste not many look for in a brew and are unpleasantly reminded of

Keep trying though Rogue has some amazing beers

1.63/5  rDev -54.7%

not sure what's going on with this one. smells and tastes like a bucket of water with household cleaner thats been laying around for a couple of days. try for yourself, but i guarantee you wont want to try it again. also, ive read about people paying upwards of $9 for a 22 oz. bottle. i paid $6.49. pay no more...

1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

Long day today. Nice long session at Barleys followed by a big tasting back at the house,. What more could anyone ask for? Consumed on 07/05/2010.

What a mistake. Very seldom do I ever start off that way, but what a mistake. This one was going nowhere fast for me. The pour looked like seltzer water. Hazy lime colored with no head and tons of carbonation.

No aroma, nothing, maybe light lime? Hard to tell I let this sit for 15 minutes and still could not pick up anything out of it. Took the first sip and wondered allowed what had happened? It just seems that it was not meant to be here. No flavor. Light lime, and that's stretching it, maybe an air
freshener like quality but what happened here? Very carbonated, very light and very unmemorable.

Overall one of the worst I have had in a long time, will not be looking for this one again anytime soon.

2.17/5  rDev -39.7%

A: Bought a bomber of this beer at Bottleworks in Seattle, pours a golden color into my Rogue XS goblet. Really no head to speak of.
S: This makes me think I've lost my sense of smell overnight....maybe some hint of spruce in there if I think really hard about what scents might be in there but I'm getting hardly anything here.
T: Slight maltiness followed by a little bit of spruce flavor.
M: Medium bodied. Very dry finish, I mean pucker you up dry finish.
D: Let me start by saying that I'm one of Rogue's biggest fans and I would gladly pay a few more $ for Rogue beer than most other beers because I feel that their beer is just better than most others. That being said...this beer is terrible, by far the worst beer that I've ever had from them. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something but I've never had a problem like that from Rogue before...everything has been very consistent in my opinion from them. This was $9 down the drain.

2.2/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottled: unk

A: Golden with a finger of off-white head which falls nearly immediately to a sheet of the same. Rings of lace. Near excellent clarity.
S: wow. gin. weed. gin. really have nothing else to say here. Seriously, the only other beer I've smelled with this much weed was devil dancer.
T: Flavor is much more subtle. Pale malts, some bitter hops, some juniper. Plenty of onion and cucumber flavors. Weird, not really good. Almost has a dill pickle flavor on the finish. Fail.
M: Medium bodied with moderately hi carb.
O: Can't think of a reason to buy this again.

2.23/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks pretty good in terms of color--nice orange hue--and some sudsy (but not frothy) sides. Looks maybe a little thin. Smell is scary. I do get juniper and gin...and spruce pine. I get, though, a solvency. Like thinking of gin days of yore, I tend to grimace upon each whiff.

Astringent. It's crazy, and I like crazy. But it's not too tasty. The feel is the worst--like spiked Sprite. Each smell becomes menacing. Am I gin-biased? If you are, I don't recommend this one. There's a tingle, but then there's potent chemical acidifying with destruction your oro-nasal passage. I feel like I could light it on fire. We ask for this crazy shit, and we got it. This is why there's more of a return to the basics in my near future.

2.35/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.
a - Pours a golden-amber color with one finger of off white head with nice rentention and lacing. Light carbonation evident.
s - Smells lightly of floral hops and citrus hops mostly. Not getting much pine/Juniper.
t - The pine and juniper really comes out in the taste. Not much else here and not a fan of this taste at all.
m - Light to medium body and low carbonation.
d - I was not a fan of this beer at all. I didn't think there was much to the smell, but the gni really came out in the taste, which was unfortunate. Would not buy again.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

2.53/5  rDev -29.7%

I hope this brew is better than their regular Juniper due to the price.

Head presentation is a finger thick of off white color, and the body is cloudy and gold in color.

The aroma is dominated by the juniper, and some apple and floral notes.

Taste wise it's a bit salty, which is a strange trait. There is a bit of citrus character here, but hard to pin down.

There is a lot of carbonation and leaves this brew with a wetting finish.

Overall this brew is a mess. I am a fan of Juniper Pale Ale, but this brew is a huge side step from it. Over priced and under developed.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Pours the color of a wheat beer, very cloudy

S: orange juice

T: cherries, tree bark, juniper, something kinda mossy. There is a definite medicinal quality on the finish. A bit spicy as it warms.

M: fairly crisp, slightly sticky.

D: I can't say I'm excited to finish the whole bottle.

Overall: Not what I was expecting. Gin is my go-to drink when I'm not having beer so I was excited for this combination, but I didn't detect any flavor influence form the gin barrels. Their regular Juniper pale ale is much better.

John and John need a more flattering photo for their label art.

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Clear yellow amber with white frothy head with great retention and lacing. Very basic pale ale aromas of floral hops and sweetness with hints of juniper if I strained myself. Nicely balanced beer of floral hops and light malt sweetness. There are hints of lemon peel and juniper in the finish but they are rather faint as is a splash of alcohol. A semi dry finish fades to a slightly sour, spicy, and dry finish as the bottle comes to an end and the beer becomes slightly hazy from the yeast and presumably barrel sediment. Gin flavors become slightly more intense with the sediment but are still faint. Perhaps it would this would benefit from being swirled before pouring. A slightly creamy mouthfeel with moderate to low carbonation is present throughout.

I perhaps had slightly elevated expectations being a gin lover. I have yet to try Rogue's gin and it may be a very subtle distillation but knowing Rogue I would think not. Perhaps the gin barrels do not impart flavor as well as others but the juniper and lemon were so faint that this just became a fairly interesting pale ale. As I said, my expectations may have been high but at $9 a bottle and being barrel aged, perhaps they should be.

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

A: Hazy yellow pour, basically like a pale ale that isn't see-through. A huge head builds up and sticks around for a really long time. the lacing is spotty.

S: Big fruit aroma, I'm assuming this is what Juniper Berries smell like. The Gin barrel aging is pretty apparent, which is impressive because this is the first Gin barrel aged beer I've come across.

T: The taste is really just a Pale Ale with hints of Gin, and those are very faint at that. Getting some amount of fruitiness, but not on the level of the aroma. Very weird aftertaste. Just overall, a strange taste that is certainly in the realm of unpleasant.

MF: Light and really carbonated well. The weirdness of the taste and booze on the backend make the drinkability low. Glad I shared this.

Value: This was around $8 for a 22oz bottle. If you're interested to see what a pale ale aged in Gin barrels tastes like, give it a shot, but I'd say you aren't missing anything.

O: Weird. Not a huge fan. Won't be giving this a second chance.

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%

Mostly just dull, really.

The gin character is very noticable on the nose and far less obvious in the taste. It's a low abv beer which I think was a poor choice for this experiment. Honestly just seems neutral, inoffensive, like 4/5 of a sierra nevada with a splash of gin character. Doesn't at all feel like something really complex, like something that spent alot of time on the wood.

The only other juniper spiced beer I've had was the DIPA from Midnight Sun, and the juniper character there was both powerful and satisfying. None of that here.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

22oz bomber into a snifter

A: Pours a golden yellow with a white head that fades quickly to a ring and leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is pretty faint, all I'm getting is a sweet malt smell and a bit of a pine aroma.

T: The taste is sweet bready malt with a spruce/pine taste on the finish. I guess there's a slight berry flavor but it's so small I can barely detect it. This is also not as flavorful as I was expecting.

M: The feel is the best part of this beer. Creamy and nicely carbonated with a light-medium body.

D: This was a bit of a disappointment but it was slightly refreshing and I appreciate the chance to try something different.

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

It is still *$#%ing snowing (!) and I am becoming more and more anxious to leave the house, but more and more reluctant to do so. My only recourse is to hit my bomber stash and hard!

From the bottle: "Rogue Brewmaster and Rogue Master Distiller have joined forces to create John John Ale. They have taken Juniper Pale Ale and aged it in Rogue Spruce Gin Barrels."

I cannot tell you how anxious I am to try this. My former college classmate and current drinking buddy, David Atkinson, and I "discovered" the entire Rogue spirits lineup at Kramerbooks & Afterwords in DC back in August and tippled our way through the night as a result. I am still not a big liquor guy as I know that I will end up in the grave if I switch to hard liquor, but that does not mean that I do not appreciate spirits. And I love beer, as if that needed to be stated.

I got a finger of rocky, off-white head with limited retention from the pour. Color was a very cloudy orangish-amber/yellow. Nose smelled like wintergreen, like a snowy forest with pine trees in abundance. I had a Battle of the Bulge vet in last year and he said that when the heavy artillery began toppling trees in the Ardennes Forest, the scent of pine put him off of Christmas trees for life. I had no such experience and love the scent of pine, but no love for celebrating Christmas, so no trees in my house. It was hard to discern between the wood of the barrels and the minty smell of juniper, but either way, I was beginning to champ at the bit to get some on my tongue. It was initially cool and minty with a medium presence on the tongue, which was enjoyable. The finish, however, gave off an intense dill flavor which one previous reviewer referred to as "pickle-like". I have to agree there, m'man. This was definitely NOT the sum of its parts. It was not an outright fail, but nor was it a repeater, if you catch my (snow) drift.

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Rogue John John Juniper

Pours a pale, light yellow color with a soapy head and some lace. Aroma of barrel, wet wood, vegetation, and spruce. In the taste, mild tannins on a very bland body reminiscent of crystal malts and some herbal elements. Hint of a Gin like bite and then washes to nothing. Light bodied, soft carbonation, and a semi clean finish. Overall, an interesting, delicate ale with some gin flavor and mild barrel notes.

John John Juniper from Rogue Ales