John John Juniper - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Parrotbeak on 04-24-2010

Juniper Pale Ale aged in Spruce Gin Barrels.

11 Ingredients:
Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, C-15 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ malts.
Styrian, Golding, Amarillo & Rogue Hopyard Willamette hops.Juniper
Berries Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
3.2º Lovibond
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
2.14/5  rDev -40.7%

A: Bought a bomber of this beer at Bottleworks in Seattle, pours a golden color into my Rogue XS goblet. Really no head to speak of.
S: This makes me think I've lost my sense of smell overnight....maybe some hint of spruce in there if I think really hard about what scents might be in there but I'm getting hardly anything here.
T: Slight maltiness followed by a little bit of spruce flavor.
M: Medium bodied. Very dry finish, I mean pucker you up dry finish.
D: Let me start by saying that I'm one of Rogue's biggest fans and I would gladly pay a few more $ for Rogue beer than most other beers because I feel that their beer is just better than most others. That being said...this beer is terrible, by far the worst beer that I've ever had from them. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something but I've never had a problem like that from Rogue before...everything has been very consistent in my opinion from them. This was $9 down the drain.

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz. brown bomber served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a slightly hazy gold with a finger of white head. Bottle conditioned. Malty aroma with some biscuity malt. Didn't get much Juniper in the aroma. Lighter side of medium bodied. Base beer is a malty pale ale/ESB type of thing. More biscuity malt. A little wood in the finish. Juniper is very subtle and comes out a bit more as it warms. Easy drinking.

I was worried this beer would be over the top with the Juniper, but the opposite was true. It was too understated.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

I'm finding ABV #'s at 5.2% on other sites. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tasting snifter glass. Pours a hazy/pale colored amber...filling the glass basically the same in appearance. A finger or 2 of frothy white head rises, dissipates pretty quick, and leaves patchy and fizzy lacing.

Aroma is good but not strong. It's not crazy or resembling any "spruce gin barrels" to me. Maybe somethings wrong with me, but all I smell is a slight zest of citrus, berry, and a very slight spice. The yeast notes are actually strong too.

Flavor is, again...good...but nothing special. I was really hoping for more. Has a nice crisp and light mouthfeel. Initial flavor is a mixture of yeast, light berry, and again...a mild spice zest. Carbonation is high, which is right on for the style of beer. The warmer the beer gets, the more the flavor comes out...but overall, still slightly let down. I was really hoping for more of a booze flavor from the spruce gin barrels.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A new Rogue bomber 'round these parts - don't mind if I do...what the hell? 3 bucks more than the typical offering? Ah, spirit barrel aged, I see now, sort of...

This beer pours a hazy pale straw hue, with two fingers of thin puffy white head, which leaves some sparse webbed lace around the glass as it recedes. Its smells of biscuity barley grain, lightly resinous, earthy botanicals, and green forest aromas. The taste is bready, biscuity malt, astringent spruce needles, some buttery, whiskey-like oakiness, and leafy, weedy hops. The carbonation is on the low side, the body a bit light, but smooth, and it finishes dry, earthy, mossy, and root-like, with some mild warming alcohol.

Not being a huge fan of gin, it was nice to see that the gin barrel didn't have an overpowering effect on the base pale ale. The result is an approachable herb-influenced beer, interesting in its conception, but overall, still a bit too much like consuming forest undergrowth for me to want another.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Hazy golden hue with a thick white head that retains nicely for about ten minutes. Some lacing, but less than expected.

S: Malty notes of biscuit and caramel, along with some honeyed character. The spruce and gin are undetectable on the nose, but floral hop aromas pair nicely with the malt.

T: Malt gives this beer some bready hints, as well as what reminds me of Bit-O-Honey candy. Hops lend some citrus and grassy notes, while the barrel aging gives this brew a kick of pine, some gin, and a nice warming booziness.

M: Once again, this beer has the trademark Rogue creaminess and full-bodied flavor. Very smooth, and has a long finish.

D: Despite being a barrel aged beer, this one is very easy to drink at a steady pace. It's quite tasty, and well worth trying. A bit high-priced for what it is, however.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours into a nonic a rich gold color with a thick fluffy off-white head that clings to the glass.

Smells like a pale ale. Biscuity, mildly hoppy and the faintest of juniper and gin.

All the makings of a pale ale with a little extra. Little is the key. Some lighter malt that adds some honey sweetness and biscuit flavor. Lightly bitter hops. Hard to distinguish between the hops and the gin flavor. The gin is really pretty subtle, but does add some dry juniper, pine and oak flavors. Some astringent alcohol is noticeable as well.

I love the mouthfeel in this and most of Rogue's brews. Smooth and creamy as can be. There is a warming feeling from the alcohol.

This drinks pretty well. This isn't much more than a regular pale ale to me. The barrel aging isn't that noticeable and if I wasn't told, I would think this was a pale ale with some juniper berries added in. It's a good brew, but probably not worth the price tag.

3.47/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To note: I hate gin. Bad experiences of yesteryear. So, when I saw this I immediately said, 'no way I'm trying this.' But, I'm a forgiving soul. So....

Pours a pale yellow, almost looking watered down. Still deeper color than the 'fizzy yellow stuff'. Not much head. Little lacing.

A spicy nose. Spruce is calm, so too the gin. Tastes 'green'. Like garden salad. Cucumber and viny.
Taste is much the same as the nose, but through in a bit of spice and carbonation to give a refeshing 'ahhh' quality. The malt keeps it from runing away to a "Sprite-like" drink. A bit thicker than it looks.
Overall, this isnt' bad. The gin isn't overwhelming, nor the spruce, but both give it a clean quality. Not my thing, but good nonetheless

3.97/5  rDev +10%

Pours a mild golden color with a decent head that leaves a bit of lacing. Seems full of life.

Aroma is full of buttery malt, grassy hops and just a small hint of juniper.

Taste is full of buttery/bready malt, grassy hops and it's a bit sour as well (but not like you would think) as in the spruce seems to show up a bit. Interesting dynamic at play here but I'm not sure if it works.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grassy hops and spruce. Again, it doesn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped.

A decent stab at something different from Rogue. However, I can't get past the kink in the mouthfeel. Certainly worth a try either way.

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Attractive cloudy yellow-orange shade like a yeasty hefeweizen. Accompanied by a full white head that is well retained.

S: Heavy pale malt and some light hops. Not much in the way of wood or spirit. Maybe a hint of juniper. Opens up with a little fruityness as the beer warms.

T: No doubt here that the base beer is a pale ale. Biscuit flavors balanced with pilsner-like hops. The spice and bitterness from the juniper and spruce are subtle, yet more noticeable when the beer is cold, reminiscent of certain winter warmers (esp Alaskan). As things warm, the gin botanicals become more apparent (citrus peel and corriander). While oak is listed as the barrel wood used, I'm not able to pick it out. Finish is abrupt, fairly clean and accented by the juniper bitterness.

M: Slightly thicker than most APAs and well-carbonated with a light alcohol burn.

I'd describe this as a decent pale ale with a little added complexity. Warning to fellow gin lovers: the effect of the barrel aging is not huge, like you'd expect from most bourbon barrel aged beers, but you get plenty of the gin character if it's warm enough. Good beer for a change of pace and one would buy again.

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%

Hazy pale yellow with an orange hue. Very thin, white head that fades almost immediately.
Smell is weak malts clouded by the gin and spruce presence. Peculiar, salty dill cracker aroma, as well as some woody notes. Different, but appealing nonetheless.
Taste is malts with a sharp, vinegary bite that shifts to the gin and spruce. The spirits are much more present in this one than in John John Dead Guy. Some more woody notes. Bitter finish, with the gin flavor swelling a bit.
Mouthfeel is crisp yet smooth, with a dry finish. Medium-light body.
Drinkability is very good, but being fond of gin, I may be biased. I could see how this one might rub some people the wrong way. I was happy to find that the gin is more noticeable than the whiskey was with JJ Dead Guy.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last