Double Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-03-2010

10 Ingredients:
C120, Chocolate and Rogue Micro Barley Farm Risk™, Cascade and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Rolled Oats, Honey, Natural Chocolate Flavoring, Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

74 AA
135º Lovibond
Reviews: 359 | Hads: 1,619

Yep I finially did it gave a perfect rating. My first beer ever.

I have had this beer in my cellar for two years. I have been a little scared of it from time to time. But what the he'll it's Christmas and a big wonderful steak to drink it with.

Let's do this-

Look. One of the darkestest I have ever seen. It seems like it lumped out of the bottle. It looked amazing. The head was the darkest I have ever seen. It looked like a normal stout head that got burnt a little. Head lasted 2 finger high for at least 4-5 min.

Smell- Carmel at first which moved towards chocolate and cocco. It smelled just like a Hersey syrupe mixed chocolate milk. You know the type you made after school groaning up.

Taste- milk chocolate with a smooth Carmel. Starts with a alcohol bite at first that rolls into honey and milk. Pure joy. The taste is of a strong stout with a pleasant sweetness. Butter.

Feel- yep a full meal in a glass. Thick heavy and smooth.

Overall. Top5 beer of all-time todate. Yes first 5 across...best stout I have ever had.

Damn you rogue. I want to hate you after the way yourcrewtreated me and my family in Newport this summer on our family vacation. Serious I try to find ways to hate them but2 of 5 favorite beers come from them.

Great beer

OH. MY. G-D.

This may well be one of the most insanely great things I've ever tasted.

Appearance : dark & lovely
Smell : rich, heavenly chocolate
Taste : rich, heavenly chocolate
Mouthfeel : creamy, luscious chocolate

Long story short: I'd your like beer and chocolate, you NEED to try this. Now. Get up, find a place that has it on tap, and buy it. You won't regret it. The only thing you'll regret is that you'll eventually finish the glass.

Pours motor oil black and keeps a nice brown head the entire time. When cold it has a chocolate toffee taste and as it warms up the cocoa is more prominent. Lightly carbonated, creamy finish with a chocolate smell. No hops to its taste or aroma. Has a bit of a bitter finish, but is one of the finer stouts.

Pours pitch black color with half inch very dark head fading to a think lace. If you could create 100% pure chocolate alcohol. That is what this smells like. Tastes like liquid chocolate swishing in your mouth. Goes down very smooth and then a few seconds later you're hit with a mouth full of hops.

I forgot what I paid for this, but I know it was pricy. But with that said this was totally worth it. Rogue has nailed this beer to it's style perfectly.

Pours like rich, expensive ink that swallows all available light. Chocolate head reduces to chocolate lacing that clings to the glass in tiny chocolate truffles.

In my DFH snifter, I smell alcohol, chocolate, and molasses.

Taste is chocolate truffle, espresso, honey, and molasses.

Easily slides down the tongue; however, something refuses to yield and nicely clings to my mouth providing a dark (bitter) chocolate finish.

This double chocolate stout has my attention and I have vowed to never look at another chocolate stout again. For better or for worse, this brew is mine and I am hers until death. Unique, special, and exceptional. A+ I snagged a bottle for $13 at Half-Time in Poughkeepsie.

Had this several times. NOTES FROM PRVIOUS TASTINGS:

A: Rich and black with a thick, tan head that lasted throughout.

The aroma is tantalizing, similar to that of freshly baked dark chocolate brownies. The flavor is robust, with plenty of bittersweet chocolate, roasty caramel-toffee malts and a hint of espresso. It's full-bodied and creamy. Great at room temperature. Made the mistake of serving it cold. Don't do it. The taste exploded as it got warmer to room temp

Serving type: Bottle into a tulip.

Look, I love chocolate, and I love chocolate beers. So when this bright red bottle jumped out at me on the shelves, I grabbed it. The name does not disappoint. The pour is luxuriously dark and rich with a tan head and intricate lacing. The coffee-cocoa aroma entices the taste buds. And then the taste. As Sulu says, "Ohhh Myyy." Double-chocolate indeed! But it isn't just any chocolate. It's the rich and bitter taste of a dark chocolate that dominates. A rich taste indeed. I loved this effort from Rogue.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

This is everything it should be dark rich and delicious smell of cocoa nibs and oatmeal taste like cocoa nibs leaves a bit of aftertaste of cocoa nibs if u have never had cocoa nibs you should try dark bitter sweet chocolate add peanut butter this would be the ultimate buckeye go (O-H-I-O) I hear repeat 3 qb woops different thread this is a must try chocolate stout im going to cellar next one to compare drank in a sniffer at 48' and raising

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

I've dealt with a lot of Rogue beer with my job as a beer sales rep. Rogue can make some pretty good beers....and some marketed to consumers that have those taste buds that others just can't understand.
But this beer, this beer really takes the cake if you are a fan of Porters and Stouts. Not only does the bottle have the appeal of a moth to a bug zapper, but once you pop the cap the smell of chocolate...is chocolate!
A treat that you can enjoy at every temperature range through all 750ml.
Highly suggest using this stout for a chocolate stout float! Yep....that's what I said. Give it a shot folks.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Expectations are everything and this stout does not disappoint but understanding that this beer is a Dark chocolate flavor helps...People think double chocolate and expect Hershey kisses well think special dark and you'll get the most out of this beer..to also be noted The rebel hop really changes the pace from the previous cascaded version.. This stout is second to none for dark chocolate flavor it tastes like a 80% cocoa bar there are complexities that one can find especially as it warms as is with every stout but why focus on anything else other than the dark chocolate... Cheers my friends

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a thick frothy khaki colored head with minimal lacing. A decadent sweet chocolate aroma rises from the glass and is to die for! Wonderful flavor of dark chocolate, light char, and a hint of espresso. Slightly less than full bodied but coats the palate well and the abv is masked well. Overall, this was by far the best and my favorite brew from Rogue to date. Glad I finally got around to savor this stout and will again!

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a very opaque dark brown, almost black. Has a creamy tan head, leaving a nice lacing.

S - Deep roasted malts, heavy on the chocolate.

T - Chocolate is heavy throughout, but not too sweet or overbaring. Has a bitter kick at the end. Everything working together nicely and hides the alcohol too well.

M - Silky and creamy, medium body with perfect carbonation.

Overall I love this stout. It's been my go to the past couple weeks. I feel the chocolate on this is just right, not too sweet. Definitely worthy of it's rating.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

This brew pours rich and black with a thick, tan head that probably would have lasted longer and resulted in lacing if I hadn’t been so eager to drink it! The aroma is tantalizing, similar to that of freshly baked brownies. The flavor is robust, with plenty of bittersweet chocolate, roasty caramel-toffee malts and a hint of espresso. It's full-bodied and creamy. Great cold or room temperature.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

On tap at Kickbacks Gastropub in Jax. Poured into a Unibroue tulip. Totally black body with dark beige head. Sticky, sticky, resinous lacing fixates itself to the glass. Aroma is one of the most beautiful chocolate smells of all time....beer or not. I should mention that I believe Rogue's chocolate stout is the best chocolate stout ever made so I'm kinda excited for this one. Taste is very similar to its little brother with maybe a touch more heat. If I had to pick which one was better, I'd have to say it depends on one's mood and maybe the weather. At any rate, the beer is spectacular across the board.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Got this for my birthday. Super excited to try it!

A - super dark brown, almost black. Looks smooth as hell, with a a thick head.

S- Very malty and chocolatey. Most chocolate smelling beer I've had, to date.

T- Delicious. The hops stand out more than expected, but Double Chocolate is definitely a chocolate lovers kind of beer.

M- Very smooth. Not as heavy as most flavorful stouts tend to be. Mouthfeel is a lot like Guinness.

O- Wonderful. Enjoyed it with a piece of red velvet cake, and it was a perfect pairing. I suppose this could be enjoyed with a nice steak as well, but I'm quite sure this was meant to be drank with desert. Cheers, gents! Time to pour another glass.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Double Chocolate Stout by Rogue is currently my favorite beer. The flavor is dark chocolate without being too sweet. The creaminess and bold flavor combined with high alcohol content make this the perfect beer any time of day or night. This beer made me fall in love with the versatility of the stout. Thanks Rogue!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

Looks like it should. Black with a beige head that sticks around.

Smells like a fudge brownie with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is great. Super chocolate with a subtle hop finish. Great chocolate flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium to full with perfect carbonation.

Overall a great chocolate stout. The alcohol seeks up on you. Winter, a fire, and this beer - makes for a great evening.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

First off, let me just say that I'm a fan of Rogue brews. I had the chance to visit Oregon last year and the majority of the stores carry more Rogue brews the Budweiser and Coors. For the most part it's hit and miss with their brews (more of a hit then a miss). But this creation... it's not to be passed up. If you see it in the store, BUY IT!

A- It Pours out of the bottle with a thick viscosity. When done pouring, it leaves a dense, thin head. The color is... well... BLACK! Probably one of the darkest brews I've encountered. Even the head of the beer is of the darkest brown.

S- A definite chocolate aroma rises from a glass of this brew. Instant dark chocolate and roasted coffee. A hint of toffee.

T- Well, I had to do a double take on the taste because of the enjoyment from the first sip. Dark chocolate fills the taste buds and a light bitterness gives the aftertaste life. Toffee and Fresh roasted coffee trail behind the intense chocolate.

M- Such a heavy brew, this one. You can feel the chocolate in the brew. the only thing that cuts through the thickness of it all it the perfectly measured hops they marry with the creation of this chocolate beast.

D- It's very easy to get carried away drinking this bottle of greatness. It's like a liquefied box of See's chocolates. Before you know it, your left with nothing but an empty bottle... and a bit of a buzz. Alcohol presence is not a factor in this brew. There is just too much flavor hiding it. But believe me... it's there... 8.7% is nothing to laugh at.

This reminded me... You can take a Russian imperial stout and pour it into a glass with vanilla ice cream for a great dessert. This would be a PERFECT brew for that.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Look: Pours nice, very dark, nice tan head on it. Seems just rightly carbonated

Smell: Very sweet milk chocolate

Taste: Sweetness of the smell does not shine through as strong. There is malt sweetness, but it is strongly counteracted by the bitter chocolate taste. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it was good.

Body: Thicker than your average beer, but to be expected for a 9.0% abv. Lingering finish, yum.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip on 05.15.14.

A: Motor oil. No red at all. 1 finger tan head that retains well.

S: Milk chocolate, cocoa powder, latte.

T: Chocolate is dominant. Slight cocoa roastiness and fig are subtle.

M: Creamy smooth.

O: This has some alcohol warming, but it doesn't burn the nostrils. When it is warm, this beer shines. I like to see the changes that temperature creates. With this, the chocolate and fig really come out when it is warm. This is a great stout, although it is pricey. I wouldn't buy it again because of what I've heard about Rogue, though.

Rating: A

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An excellent example of the chocolate stout category, it just displays chocolate in every aspect. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is one can never have enough chocolate in a brew that represents such a amazing food. Definitely recommend this whether your a fist time tester or weathered veteran in the micro brew field

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A- absolutely opaque black with a caramel colored semi-persistent head.

S- Almost overwhelming chocolate aroma. Lots of malt goodness. Rich and dark.

T- Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Malty chocolate goodness. Viscous and sweet. Like alcoholic chocolate mill.

M- Thick and creamy. Slight alcohol
ester but very viscous and sticky.

O- I'm a huge fan of their Chocolate Stout
and the double is just more of the good stuff. Well done!

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a new favorite of mine. Perfect beer to enjoy in the winter--I'm saving two for the first big snow storm of the year. If you don't like chocolate, stay away, but if you do, you're in for a treat. Pours extremely dark and heavy with little head. Smell is almost all chocolate. Very chocolatey, more so than any beer I can remember, and yet delicately balanced. A nice hint of hop bitterness tames the richness of this beer. Hides the alcohol amazingly, but very heavy, so definitely not sessionable. Still, this one is a treat, and should be enjoyed over an hour or so, all by itself.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Drank straight from the bottle so I was unable to see how this beer looks and behaves in a glass.

S - Wonderful chocolate smell that was very inviting.

T - I fell in love at first drink. The creaminess of the stout was paired with the taste of chocolate very well. I typically drink with a lot of not craft beer drinkers and everyone was in love with the taste as well.

M - Thick and creamy that was just as good to swallow as it was to taste.

O - Overall I was blown away by the deliciousness of this beer. I would recommend it to anyone even if you don't prefer stouts. This beer is a game winner.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Knocked off my previous favorite beer from the top spot (Rogue Chocolate Stout).

Poured black with a dark brown head, smelled like good chocolate, and tasted like Smarties (the English Smarties - similar too, but better tasting than M&Ms), which is a good thing.

Had a couple of these in 12oz snifters @ Fatheads Pittsburgh.

Double Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales