Double Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

10 Ingredients:
C120, Chocolate and Rogue Micro Barley Farm Risk™, Cascade and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Rolled Oats, Honey, Natural Chocolate Flavoring, Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

22º PLATO
74 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-03-2010)

swooshjtb, Jan 02, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured a bomber into a Duvel tulip at 48 degrees. This seems to be the 2010 release, but it's not dated so I can't be sure-in either case the flavors seem to have faded, which might be why I found this beer lacking

Appearance: 1.5 inch head with a mocha colored foam containing some large bubbles, good retention but very little lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, and burnt malt

Taste: Chocolate, marshmallow, roasted maybe even burnt grains (give it a decent body) followed by some honey, and a coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Good feel, this has a good body to it and a light carbonation. It's smooth and flowing on the tongue

Overall: A fair stout, very mediocre in my opinion, as I previously stated, this seems to be a year old, and I think thats why the chocolate has faded along with some of the other flavors. The body is good, but could be heavier for a double.

2378GCGTG, Jan 02, 2012

metalgdog, Dec 31, 2011

BrewtalAlement, Dec 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Dark brown, chocolate looking pour with plenty of dark beige head to it, easily commensurate with 2" depth in a pint glass, in a snifter, it was around 1". Luscious dark chocolate aroma, hardly sweet, no alcohol was noticeable in the aroma, big points for being able to do that with a 10% beer, but given that they probably melted about 10 lbs of chocolate per 22oz (joking) it was prolly easy to cover the smell of alcohol!

Taste, decadent, now I know immediately this is going to be a polarizing beer along the lines of Southern Tier's creme brulee. This is nowhere near as sweet, but is still damn good just like ST's just as polarizing offering. Maybe ST's Choklat is a better example I guess, but not as polarizing. If you've ever had the regular Rogue Chocolate Stout offering, well, this is almost the exact double recipe version I would surmise, double chocolate, double malt, double almost the resulting alcohol. That's really all this beer is about, delivering a massive dose of chocolate smoothly and covering 10% abv up in the process. Frankly, if you want a cheap, non barrel aged version of Chocolate Rain, this is the closest thing.

$13 for this is something I would (and have done) over and over again, and I'm kinda cheap. This was the fresh bottle, I'll revisit after I drink the one that has been aging for about 2 years as of now.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 28, 2011

benbou17, Dec 27, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

I just drank a milkshake... It was a beer that tasted like a milkshake. Similar to southern tier but not so hersheys. Wow. Not terrible but not wonderful. Sorry for the short review...

Characters require... I'll cone back to this later and edit.... Ooooh it is not the best

dlello2, Dec 27, 2011

jamiekimble, Dec 26, 2011

Yep I finially did it gave a perfect rating. My first beer ever.

I have had this beer in my cellar for two years. I have been a little scared of it from time to time. But what the he'll it's Christmas and a big wonderful steak to drink it with.

Let's do this-

Look. One of the darkestest I have ever seen. It seems like it lumped out of the bottle. It looked amazing. The head was the darkest I have ever seen. It looked like a normal stout head that got burnt a little. Head lasted 2 finger high for at least 4-5 min.

Smell- Carmel at first which moved towards chocolate and cocco. It smelled just like a Hersey syrupe mixed chocolate milk. You know the type you made after school groaning up.

Taste- milk chocolate with a smooth Carmel. Starts with a alcohol bite at first that rolls into honey and milk. Pure joy. The taste is of a strong stout with a pleasant sweetness. Butter.

Feel- yep a full meal in a glass. Thick heavy and smooth.

Overall. Top5 beer of all-time todate. Yes first 5 across...best stout I have ever had.

Damn you rogue. I want to hate you after the way yourcrewtreated me and my family in Newport this summer on our family vacation. Serious I try to find ways to hate them but2 of 5 favorite beers come from them.

Great beer

isualum12, Dec 26, 2011

pumptrick, Dec 24, 2011

MrHirschybar, Dec 23, 2011

NvMyBeer, Dec 23, 2011

Bomber poured into a Large Duvel Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with a finger brown head that quickly resides leaving little to no lacing.

S: Tons of chocolate and more chocolate. Actually does smell like a chocolate milk shake.

T: Tastes like it smells. It's almost like drinking an alcoholic chocolate milk shake. Has bitter aftertaste which is somewhat surprising given the chocolate this beer has in it.

M: Medium bodied with no hint of alcohol.

O: Not something I would seek out again, but I'm glad to have tried it.

Finatic, Dec 23, 2011

996th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
750 ML

Not sure year
Not sure who brought this....Thanks!!

*Shared by those at MrHirschybars*

App- Poured very dark and wasn’t really expecting that from a Rogue beer. Normally has a certain level of clarity or see throughness usually. A small one finger mini bubble head with just a little bit of spotted cling.

Smell- The only way to describe this is to say it smells like a fuller cake batter with some booze in it. It's very chocolatey and rich on the nose. Not overwhelming or complex but still all in all.

Taste- It's a chocolatey bomb and I am okay with that. My rule. If you label something as Vanilla or Double Chocolate, then you better bring it. They did with this one, but didn’t really balance it to the best they could. Still better than 90% of the chocolate stouts out there.

Mouth- Medium bodied and Medium carbonation. All chocolate all the time on this one. Maybe a touch of bitter on the finish with some roast but that was about it.

Drink- I really enjoyed this as we winded down the night. Allowed some other taste buds to be used and allowed palate to reset a little bit. I would probably come back to this one in the future. I think this would be probably the best beer ever put on Nitro.

FosterJM, Dec 20, 2011

mjaggers, Dec 19, 2011

jmvecchio1, Dec 18, 2011

sukwonee, Dec 17, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

I paid $11.99 for a 750ml bottle at Total Wine. A bit expensive for this bottle. I wish BeerAdvocate would add a "Value" rating to it's system. This would score low on the value side.

This Imperial poured a classic black into my Guinness pint glass and left a crowning 3 finger head that was foamy and dark beige. As it receded to a blanket it was very sticky.

The fragrance was tootsie roll and chocolate milkshake. No great complexity in the nose but then again one shouldn't be expecting a lot of complexity from something billed as 'double chocolate'.

Can you guess what the flavors were? Right - chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Toward the backside of the finish the roasted and burnt malt flavors appeared along with some of the IBUs from the hops.

My only gripe on this one is that the mouthfeel could have been a bit more silky. Still good, just below my expectation.

Overall, very good. Don't go into this looking for some complex masterpiece. Know that you are getting a chocolate bomb and enjoy your dessert.

BelgiumBill, Dec 17, 2011

jkane101, Dec 17, 2011

crobinso, Dec 17, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

I find that many chocolate stouts just load their brew up with the tastes of cheap chocolate and this one is no different.

To me, Rogue is one of those companies that always almost makes it there to great beer but never quite hits the mark.
Unfortunately their price points clearly states that they think they have achieved the likes of companies like Great Divide, Stone, Founders, Bells, Goose Island and a few others when in reality they are not nearly as good as these companies which offer much better beers at the same or even lower prices.

Advice to rogue is to stop relying on your advertising and bottling to sell your beer and step up your brewing.

On average your bottles = A+ but your beers are a C+
If you insist on this price point, please give me a cheap paper wrapped bottle with a good B+ to A+ beer.

kjlued, Dec 17, 2011