Double Chocolate Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

10 Ingredients:
C120, Chocolate and Rogue Micro Barley Farm Risk™, Cascade and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Rolled Oats, Honey, Natural Chocolate Flavoring, Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

22º PLATO
74 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 08-03-2010)

kew, Nov 24, 2012

anteater, Nov 15, 2012

JeffreyJDavis, Nov 14, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a snifter on 7/7/12

Moderately dark brown for the style, at least until I came across the 9% abv noted on the label. Certainly a nice change of page; dark in the glass, but you can tell it's brown. 1/3rd inch head does not last long. There a bit o' ring retention. The second pour has a 2 inch head and leaves some drippy lace.

I really enjoy the aroma. Roast is prominent, but clean. Mostly chocolate with some faint coffee. Milk chocolate sweetness. Seems quite grainy (I reckon the rolled oats mentioned on the label explain that). Sweet, roasty and clean - good combination as far as aromatics go.

This tastes good, too. Roasted chocolate with undercurrents of dark chocolate sweetness and cocoa bitterness. Semi-burnt coffee finish. My fiance doesn't care for it because it tastes like molasses. Oats add a touch of smoothness to a medium, sugar-plump body. Carbonation is fussy; thankfully it mellows some over time.

Overall, this is a heck of a lot better than I was anticipating, especially the aroma. For Rogue, consider me impressed.

Ryan011235, Nov 14, 2012

dorkinajeep, Nov 14, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A: This beer pours a dark black body with a thick dark tan head that slowly fades and leaves a nice amount of lacing on the glass.

S: A lot of sweet milk chocolate, a tiny bit of roasted malt and again with some more chocolate.

T: Wow this is delicious. It starts with a strong milk chocolate flavor that quickly turns into a nice tiny bit of roasted malt and a strong sweetness.

M: Smooth and creamy like peanut butter! The beer has a nice full body and doesnt have much crispness at all.

O: This is probably my favorite beer by Rogue. The beer doesnt miss a beat while I drink it. The mouthfeel, appearance, smell and taste are homeruns with me. They need to make this year round!

gtermi, Nov 12, 2012

hypoboxer, Nov 11, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

Because of the hefty price tag, I split the bottle with one of my best buds, but I'll admit that I nearly ran off with this jewel.

A: Poured jet-black into my tulip glass, the brew created a head not unlike chocolate meringue or puffed frosting, a finger-and-a-half.

S: Yes sir may I have another! A divine mixture of sweet cocoa, cherries, vanilla extract all with a slight medicinal tinge, this aroma was a symphony of the senses. Whatever Tiki god you've been sacrificing to, Rogue, keep it up.

T: And the taste follows in grand fashion. Sweet chocolate, malt, and caramel notes sing on your palate, inviting you to savor every drop. My buddy and I couldn't stop raving about it all night. It is by far the best chocolate beer I've had yet.

M: Intensely creamy and with a medium carbonation, the beer feels more like a cooled chocolate fountain in your mouth.

O: How do I love thee? Let me count the ways, Rogue. Bravo, good sirs. This is one for which I'll always keep an eye out.

Ranz, Nov 10, 2012

c_patton, Nov 08, 2012

rm9679, Nov 08, 2012

Googs, Nov 07, 2012

maynard713, Nov 06, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

@ Growlers Pour House

Pours pitch black with some bubbly cream floating on the surface. Smells like pure chocolate...that's pretty much it. Dark, syrupy, straight-up chocolate sweetness. As expected, the flavor is more of the same: a big mouth full of semisweet chocolate morsels. Heavy, almost syrupy body. Wow. One was enough for me (I honestly don't think I was in the mood for such a pure dessert-like beer). Chocolate to the max. I prefer the regular Chocolate Stout just because at least there is some indication of a stout underneath. Tasty in a novelty sort of way.

wedge, Nov 05, 2012