Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale - Rogue Ales

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek AleChatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 08-21-2010

Brewed using 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm Dare and Risk Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman and Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
75º Lovibond
4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

Bought a 1 PT. 6 FL.OZ. bottle @ Adam Fine Wine & Liquor in Redondo Beach, CA for $14.99 and shared w/ GeoffTheAleMan. Poured from the what looks like Grape infused bottle but clearly states Cherries on the front of the bottle, into a Samuel Adams Imperial Pint Glass. Does not have a freshness date.

Aroma- Complexed as hell! Has a strong cherry aroma that is prominent but then the high fruitness/malt aroma is strong as well. Very complexed!

Appearance- Pours a 2 finger head that is off-white and last for good time. Dark amber body and looks like the body is full of ingredient. Has nice sudsy, thick lacing.

Flavor- Very pure! Not sure I've ever tasted a higher malted beer like this! Tons of cherries and has the wine attributes. Well balanced too.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Body, Medium-High Carbonation, Has more strength, power, and intensity then anything I've ever had! My mouth cannot even take everything happening! Leaves tons of sweetness in the mouth afterwards. Can't get any better than this!

Overall Impression- I can't believe whats happening in this brew! Starts like a cool, red wine and then hits with the most interesting, rarest mouthfeel that I've ever experience. I'm very happy that I buy brews when I'm in different states that look rare or limited while I don't know if they're rated good or not. I am going to be looking to trade for this beer even! A+ I Recommend for ANYONE! Your next beer to buy in OR/CA.

4.6/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presented in a 22oz brown bottle. Pours a really nice red, great clarity, especially for being bottle conditioned. Nice persistent head lasts till the glass is empty. The aroma is nice and bready with a spicy "Belgian" character and noticable cherry notes. The yeasty Begian character is lovely, followed by a great bready malt, the entire soaked in sweet/tart cherry. The cherry flavor delightfully lingers into oblivion. Both the yeast and cherry open up in the glass after a few minutes as the beer goes from slightly sweet to dry. Over all it's a wonderful departure from all the same old pale/brown/porter/stout/ambers and manages to not taste just like every other Rogue.

4.45/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying this beer right now. Pours amberish like natural color of cherry juice with an off white color. Smells of hopps and cherries. Is sort of tart with a hoppy finish. It is veru smooth and easy to drink. I could easily drink a couple of these over an evening.

4.4/5  rDev +30.6%

More proof that I may be aging at a faster rate than my 46+ calendar years might suggest - I nap in the afternoon and am awake at odd hours, much like my grandfathers. At least I can have a beer at this hour (0411, Local, EDT) without the worry/guilt of going into school later. Frankly, I hate to go in to school in any state other than sober as it is an inter-urban environment and the b.s. just intensifies if I am hung over.

I am setting myself up for a marathon of beer this weekend, drinking some room in my refrigerator and enjoying myself all the while. This will segue into some Sam Smith's fruit beers later.

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Farmers and Fermenters"; "GYO is a Rogue Ales term for Grow Your Own, We made this ale with our own hops and barley."; "Malty aroma, dark mahogany brown in color with a dense creamy head. Medium bodied with a rich, malty sweetness and dry cherry finish." They also include the Lat & Long for their Hopyard and Barley Farm. Har!

My intent was to not stir up any extant lees, so my gentle pour created only deep-tan wisps. Mahogany brown, eh? Good to know! Accompanied by NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose was rich with a dried dark fruit sweetness. Usually, I can recognize Rogue beers by their scent, but not in this case. I was reminded of cherry preserves, frankly. Mouthfeel was medium with a veddy dry tartness on the tongue. When I say dry, I am talking alum or desiccant territory! Man, this was drinking like some of my uncle's better cherry wines from ~ 20 years ago. Finish evinced some banana esters, no doubt the Belgian yeast poking through. Great gooddam, but this was goood! I would have this with Easter ham or on a picnic with ham sammiches. It was not sour, but more tart and dry, aligned with what I would expect from Montmorency cherries.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

Deep dark cherry tinted brown body with a hint of tannish pink tinted head forming thick and dwindling even quicker thin speckled lacing surrounds the sides of my glass. Aroma has a tart cherry deep roasted malt combo going on. The tart cherries rule this brew, but especially in the nose. Strong tart cherry nose this doesn't smell like a typical dubbel, and after tasting it I would call it a weak sour ale. Flavor is full on tart cherries with touch of powdered spicy yeast noted and sliced bread. Malts don't bring out much sweetness that can be detected amongst the earthy sour yet sweet Montmorency cherries added. Finishes bone dry with hints of lactic acid, quite enjoyable even seems like there's a hint of oak barrel aging. I'm not sure if this one has that going for it but with the malts and the cherries I'm getting that vibe. Mouthfeel is medium bodied evenly carbonated nothing cloying on the palate, leaves me feeling good. I like the tart/sour drying finish between each sip, burps send alcohol and a fruit tartness up your nares that just makes me like the beer that much more. Overall drinkability I'm in cruise control, this one satisfies me in a couple ways cherry fruit/tartness/hints of bitter slightly spiced yeast components and gives me the vibe that it's been barrel aged whether or not it has I don't really care. I like the overall experience.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a red wine glass.

A: Pours a reddish dark brown with a very thin layer of rapidly vanishing foam which leaves soap bubbles along the rim and lace in the center. It's a pretty beer.

S: Hay, malt, fruit, alcohol spice, and the faintest whiff of horses.

T: Opens bright with tart cherries and a the mouth-puckering notes of what tastes an awful lot like lacto. Sweet malts arrive mid-palate. The only flaw I can find with this beer is that early on I noticed a dissonant chord of a finish: wheat, pennies, esters, and bittering hops. Half-way through the bottle, and the finish doesn't bother me nearly as much.

M: A bit thinner than I'd like, but not unreasonable for the style.

O: This a delightfully refreshing fairly nuanced beer. I am surprised that it has not got as much love on this site as I would have expected.

Rock on, Rogue.

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%

writing this review from notes thanks to a computer crash yesterday. Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. I didnt really know what to expect from this beer, but give props to the brewery for growing all their own products for the brew.

a-pours a murky, dark brown/orange. looks like the dubbel that it is, perhaps a little on the dark side. very little head at all.

s-immediate cherry smell. some malt, grain and wheat. there is some dark burned sugar as well

t-raisin, brown sugar, some fruity-ness. very dry cherry finish. a nice complex flavor like a dubbel should be.

m-again within the style. lots of carbonation but it helps let the flavors dance around on my tounge. no alcohol noticeable at all. very dry finish, but i find it pleasant.

overall, I enjoyed this beer. I enjoy belgian style dubbels, and the cherry flavor in this one wasnt overpowering. Again, props to the brewer for growing all of their own ingredients. A nice change of pace, and at 3.99 a bomber, a good price.

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from bottle into ridged pint glass.

Pours a murky red brown, with a huge creamy head that dies down to a small head, with minimal lacing. Flavor comes off a little sour cherry. Little to no hop profile, which is a bummer, as the bottle boasts their own hop.

That being said, this is a tasty beer. The tart comes off as refreshing and the beer is quite effervescent. That, combined with a lack of alcohol makes this an easily drinkable beverage, however, I don't see myself having more than one.

Can't wait to see what comes next from Rogue.

4.09/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a small wine glass from a 22 oz bottle. Small 1/2 finger of head, medium brown/amberish color. Head dies with very little lacing. Smells of Belgian yeast, spice, and tart cherry. Flavor borders on a barrel aged sour. A little bit more mellow than some, but quite impressive given the price. Definitely getting that Belgian Dubbel flavor as well as sour cherry. A light sweetness and a good medium length finish. One of the more impressive Rogue beers I've tried. Mouthfeel is quite fluffy, especially given the lack of head. Quite quaffable.

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

A - slightly hazy copper red, solid tan head retained very well, not much lacing
S - cloves and fruity yeast esters, leafy hops, somewhat musty, with a candied fruit overtone
T - up front it has a very hefe like taste of cloves and fruity yeast, then comes the sweet cherry and somewhat phenolic taste, with some leafy hops and caramel malt in the background
M - well carbonated, syrupy moving to a tangy medicinal feel
T - seemingly a mix of a a few different styles, but it defintely works with the cherry flavour being present but in a nice addition to a solid brew instead of an in your face feature, refreshing and sweet at the same time

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Review from old notes, drank fresh. 22 oz bottle pours a reddish, copper color with a fine-bubbled tan head. Decent lacing, average retention.

Signature Pacman yeast pervades the nose along with an equally identifiable smooth maltiness. Light hint of cherries...pretty faint overall but Id like to think I could identify this as a Rogue beer blinded.

Taste has more cherries than the nose would indicate. Base beer seems like a basic brown ale but showcases the cherries pretty well. This is one of the better offerings from Rogue, I rather liked this one.

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale

I like the play on words - "Chatoe" (not a word) vs. chateau, and "Creek" vs. kriek - and I love what they're doing with their hopyard and barley farm. Will I like the beer?

It smells moderately of cherries. Good. I don't like it over-done. There's just enough there. It only hints at cherry, and if you hadn't read the label you might just think that was yeasty fruitiness.

The same is true of the flavor. There's a bit of cherry, but it's not a lot. Unlike the aroma, however, it is clear. It rises up above the soft, lightly caramelish, wheaty maltiness. It's subtly grassy, but I can't tell if that's from the malt or hops. I find fruit at the front, followed by a rising maltiness, and then they both drop out slowly in the short-lingering finish. Interestingly enough, some clove and spice appear. Hmmm. Double hmmmm. It's a touch malty for the limited 25 BU's, and I find it a little bit out of balance. It's a touch full, but certainly not sticky... the slight tartness of the cherry helps cut through that. So I wonder, would I like it better with a little less malt? Would there be enough left for it to be a Rogue beer? I certainly don't think they should bump the bitterness - that would be a move in the wrong direction. And going more Belgian yeast wouldn't help. Hmmm???

So I'm reminded of a conversation with Michael Jackson about hedonistic tasting versus stylistic tasting, and he said something along the lines of "Well really, it's all hedonistic. But when it's hedonistic as opposed to 'does it fit the style', that's the best way to enjoy a beer". So, not that I was on about style anyway, but, did I enjoy it? - yes. Would I have another? - yes. OK then.

A: Poured out a muddy brown color. Mild head from the poor that disappears very quickly. The head was a off white color which was gone within 10/15 seconds.

S: Aromas of bread and biscuit, with some major tones of carame. There is a faint scent of cherry at the end.

T: Flavors of up front citrus and cherries, followed up by some bread and caramel.

M: Fair amount of carbonation, very smooth i thought.

O: I dig this, it is essentially a nice creaminess with some sour cherry aspects.

Bought from Tamura's in Kailua, HI for $6.99. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber-brown color with a thin lace of head. Good carbonation...bubbles up to the top.

Smell: Vinegar and tart cherries.

Taste & Appearance: Some malts upfront. The cherries really come out on this one. Has a bit of a wine feel to it with the tartness of the cherries, the acidity of the vinegar taste and a dryness that tends to linger into the aftertaste. Light to medium in the body.

Drinkability: Although this is a good beer and has some characteristics that i can only attribute to my experiences with wine, I would have to say one bottle is plenty. If your a fan of cherries, then I would recommended this without any hesitation. Really respect the idea behind Rogue's GYO (Grow Your Own) series with their home produced beers.

Had this at the Kickbacks-Jacksonville beer dinner. We were told this was a dubbel style brewed with fresh cherries. This is their 4th Chatoe Series beer. It was not a sour beer but had some sublte sour flavors from the cherries used. It tatse like a dubbel but a little different. Maybe it's the pacman yeast they added. Visual was like the style as well. This was good but not somehting to go crazy about. I did enjoy it thought and I'll buy a bottle when it comes out.

The brew contains 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm DareTM and RiskTM Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman & Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

3.99/5  rDev +18.4%

Not sure why the rip on this beer.

It's a very ripe black cherry flavor rather than sour. Excellent malt backbone. Bread, chocolate notes at the end. Significantly maltier than other fruit cherry beers I.e Sam smith, New glarus, etc.

Very drinkable if you like fruit beers. If you don't then why diss it?

Well made and the quality malt profile makes this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Pours a deep, hazy brown color with some red-orange highlights. The medium sized head has a caramel tint and a dense, frothy texture. Retention is above average, and a modest amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Dark maltiness and spicy yeast notes are most noticeable. Appropriately Belgian here - soft clove and fruitiness mix well with some brown sugary character. Tart cherries aromas are in the background, but add a fresh tanginess to the nose.

T: Primarily a solid dubbel up front. Brown sugar, caramel, and bready malt are joined by some light spicy/phenolic notes and fruity flavors. Cherry flavor is prominent into the finish, but is only momentarily sour before melding back into the rest of the base beer. A faint hop bitterness in the finish adds focus - this is not an overwhelmingly sweet fruit beer.

M: Medium-firm body. Carbonation is fairly assertive. A tart, fairly dry finish.

D: A very enjoyable take on a Belgian standby. The cherries aren't quite perfectly incorporated, but they add a nice touch of tartness and fruit flavor without stealing the spotlight. A worthwhile and interesting offering from Rogue's side project.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

22oz bottle into chalice.

Pours a cloudy deep mahoganny brown with red hues and light tan heads.

The aroma is of sweet malts, with a mixture of Belgian yeast as well. I am really enjoying that Rogue has finally incorporated another yeast strain. I am picking up faint notes of cherry, though I might not have picked it out if I didn't know to look for it.

The cherries come through in the flavor a bit more than in the aroma with a light tartness. There are notes of biscuit and caramel malts as well. Again I am really enjoying the use of Belgian yeast.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with subtle yet enjoyable carbonation.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and am glad to see Rogue mixing up their portfolio a bit. Hope to see some more expansion.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Mahogany pur with an average off-white head. Minimal carbonation leaving a small ring around the edge of my tulip.

Light, semi-sweet malts with a natural, unsweetened cherry on the nose. Lightly sour.

Semi-sweet cherries are definitely the prime flavor in this one. The malts were very muted. Big time natural cherry on the finish. Enjoyable.

I'm becoming a fan of the GYO series from Rogue.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

In a goblet the beer was a garnet color with a thin tan head.
Chocolate aroma, alcohol, and a little bit of cherry.
It tasted like one of those cherry candies, where there's a cherry inside of a chocolate with some kind of sweet liquer, just in a more understated manner.
Despite the sweet taste, I thought this was on the dry side.
Nice beer.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Enjoyed this 22oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Very hazy brown-amber hue with a thin ½-finger head that quickly dissipates leaving only a trace of a trail on the glass and ending in a wispy lace.

S: Sweet malty aroma with hints of cherries and fruits.

T: Starts out very sweet ale with solid malt background. Cherries and dark fruits dominate the palate with every sip, but aren’t overwhelming like a lambic brew.

M: Medium body and minimal carbonation

O: Interesting brew – surprised to find out it was discontinued since my looking beer store had three or four of these left. My wife wanted to try it and we both rather enjoyed it – although I think she was looking for more of a fruity beer. I like the way the cherries were blended in nicely for enjoyable brew.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a slightly turbid brown, doesn't have much for a pleasant smell...nothing really stands out, maybe metallic.

This makes for a very drinkable beer. Didn't realize it was supposed to be a dubbel until I checked here. Sans the cherries, my recently homebrewed dubbel is very similar (mines a little hoppier!). Belgian sweetness and solvent flavor hits first, then a bit of roasted malt and then the cherry. The cherry gives a little bit of sour that really refreshes. The cherry really sticks in the mouth too.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours out a cloudy brown with one finger of very tiny light brown suds. Some lacing.
Smell is like raspberry and malt mixed up together with some pungent yeast that burns the nose.
Taste is a bit sour that stays with the flavor all through the taste. I like this trait. There is malt and sugar here but the star is the sour.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and a little dirty but the sour makes this pleasurable.
Drinkability is pretty good here. This is a better beer than these reviews tend to show.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer pours a hazy red amber color with a slight amount of off white head that doesn't retain or lace well. The aroma has notes of sour cherry and caramel malt. The taste starts malty sweet, could be slightly more pronounced, and finishes with slightly sweet and then sour cherry notes. The mouthfeel is nice and clean and balanced. Overall a good unique beer.

22 oz bottle. No dates.

Weirdly colored body, not quite red, not quite brown. The bottle says mahogany, so we'll go with that. Looks like brackish water. 2 finger tan head that fizzles out to a faint cover.

Black cherry sweetness with a slight medicinal essence. It reminds me of a Luden's cough drop. Not getting much more than the cherries.

Dry and malty. Very grainy. Cooked cherries, more sweet than tart, but just right. Some earthy yeast tones give this a doughy, cherry pie feeling.

Fairly one dimensional, but still a nice beer. Good cherry flavors.

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale from Rogue Ales