Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 08-21-2010

Brewed using 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm Dare and Risk Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman and Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
75º Lovibond
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.52/5  rDev -55%

A: The pour is an amber color with a thin tan head.

S: The nose is not a good start to this beer. Smells like plastic and urinal cake. Mmm port-o-potty. Also some alcohol, puke, and sulfur. Man, what a winner.

T: A slight improvement on the flavor, but really bad, still. A bit of sweet caramel, cough syrup, a touch of sour cherries, and wood give this some redeeming flavors. But, there's still a lot of puke, alcohol, and plastic.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium carbonation.

D: Oh goodness. This was just awful. In no way would I want to drink this beer again. (579 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -49.1%

Bottle: Poured a deep cloudy reddish color ale with a large foamy head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of cherries with clear cough syrup notes and lightly sweet malt notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet cherries with some definite notes of cough syrup which are not that easily discernable. Body is full with light filtration and good carbonation. I really couldn’t get the cough syrup notes out of my mouth and I finally drain poured the reminder of my glass. (492 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a murky creek water brown. Very hazy.

A faint aroma of fruit. Although cherries are not evident in aroma.

Nothing exceptional about the taste. It's reminiscent of a homebrewer's first attempt at making a fruit beer...not overly bad, but lacking in execution.

Mouthfeel is a bit watered down. The level of carbonation should have been increased slightly to compensate for the overall murkiness of the beer.

Although drinkable. You can't help but think 'inexperienced homebrewer'.

If you enjoy fruit infused beer, you should try this one. You'll taste it once, drink it fast, just to get it over with and order a flemish sour. (635 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

pours out of the 22oz. bottle a murky and dirty brown colour without much head and no lace. very little supporting carbonation. aroma of belgian yeast and tart cherries with some cocoa and candy like malts. tart flavours of cherries with a belgian flair...as far as being a dubbel, well...i'll take their word for it. some maltiness is present...some chocolate and ripe fruits outside the cherries used. it's sweet and there is hint of alcohol spice but there isn't much else to talk about. no real hop presence to speak of. slick mouthfeel lacking the lively mouthfeel of a respectable belgian. medium body. poor drinkability...not sure what the hell happened to this beer but it's flat and lacks soul.

overall i'd say i'm extremely disappointed. i do have a second bottle of this thanks to my wife who bought this for me as gift, so if the second bottle shows any more life than this one, i'll be sure to reconsider my poor marks. (933 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -29.9%

From 22oz bomber to Jackie's O's tulip on 7/14/11
*From notes

A: Lovely presentation. Unfiltered pinkish-red radish in color, with a touch of warm amber at the edges. Solid 2.75 finger head on a good pour. The head dies quite quickly, leaving just a bit of lacing.

S: Medicinal, processed prune juice. As it warms, it's got a stagnant metallic quality to it that's extremely off-putting.

T: The taste is a touch better then the nose, but it sure isn't gonna win Rogue any awards. Cloyingly acicic, with an odd and salty rotting red fruit flavor. Mild malt hits the mid. The backbone of this beer should be the concentration of fruit, but instead they seem to have bastardized it, as it's flimsy and thin. Dissapointing.

M: Really? We're calling this a Dubbel? EPIC FAIL. It's all soft carbonation up front and awkwardly oily and sinfully thin on the back of the palate.

D: Rogue's Chatoe Rogue First Frowth Creek Ale is yet another dissapointment from the crew at Rogue. To call it a Dubbel is insulting to real, well produced Dubbels like St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Westmalle's Dubbel.

In the future I'll most certainly be avoiding this, and I heartily recommend that you do the same. (1,190 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -29.9%

poured an amber reddish color with ruby highlights that had a thin head and almost no lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was not very appealing consisting of plastic notes and very little cherry character. It honeslty semmed like it was fermented in plastic vats and also had no belgian yeast notes. The taste was pretty big on plastic as well with some cherry chracter and slight tart qualities. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, mild fruity, and slight tart finish. It definitely was a disaster for the tasting. Yo bobby...sorry I brought this shit to your tasting. (619 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -29%

From a 22 oz bomber into New Belgium Globe
2/2/11

A - Nice white head that quickly dissipated. Purple marroon like brown color that wasn't see through even up to the light - looked like a bordeaux with "foam"

S - Strong overwhelming smell of cherry, with a light grape like scent that reminded of wine, with a slightly sour nose that was from the overwhelming cherry -

T - Lightly tart, sour, definite cherry with a light malty finish

M - light, not as carbonated as I thought it would be with such a sour note from the cherry, and the cherry taste would have you expecting - not much lingering flavor although my mouth felt "soured out" despite this not being a sour style beer

D - Was surprised at the sour taste being so strong from a fresher "ale" - it smelled like wine - and my girlfriend and I both drink beers and wine - neither of us were impressed with this and wouldn't buy it again - had bought thinking the cherry would be a nice impression as we like sours and a variety of ales - this was just all over cherry with light hint of malt - too puckering even with us splitting it...
I like the GYO idea and with Rogue doing this organically, just wasn't expecting this from them on this - really tart overwhelmingly - we finished this but it took a while and we had to "work through it. $5.99 or $6.99 for the bottle at the local bottle shop here... (1,366 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -29%

A - Redish milk chocolate, creamy bone white head.

S - Touch of sour. Dusty hop notes. Very mild.

T - Malty bread notes and sour grapes. Dry dusty character. Bitter cranberries in the finish.

M - Very dry with a medium-light body.

D - Drinkable, but the mouthfeel and flavor aren't particularly great.

O - I'm a huge fan of Rogue beers but this one just didn't do it for me. The dryness really clawed at me, and there was something I didn't dig about about cranberry bitterness. (483 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

A - Rusty brown body with an off-white head.

S - Tart cherries, brown sugar, raisins.

T - Acidic and tart cherries up front. Some burnt brown sugar, raisins, hints of caramel malt. Finishes semi dry. Aftertaste is like cherry NyQuil.

M - Moderate fizzy carbonation, thin body.

The tart cherry flavor is the only thing going for this beer. It just falls flat and halfway through I had no desire to continue. (410 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

P: 2/5. Boysenberry purple. Dark. Very cloudy. Nearly opaque. No head.

A: 3/5. Deep stone fruit. Cherries. Fig. Caramel. No hop aroma.

F: 5/10. Initially tart, but quickly goes away. Cherry, caramel. Some bitterness.

M: 2/5. Medium body. Some lingering, but not overwhelming. Pleasant cherry aftertaste.

O: 4/10. Okay. Not great, but fine. (343 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -24.9%

I really wanted to like this beer. The beer was served chilled in wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a murky mahogany coloration. The head is a thin white coloration that rapidly resolves.

Smell: I had high hopes based on the aroma. Sweet tart and sour cherries great my nose. A pleasant musty clove aroma lurks in the background.

Taste: Taste is a major let down. Musty tart cherries and little else. In short this beer is bland! No off flavors just nothing really going on.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. Light carbonation really seems to make the beer go a bit more limp. Drinking the beer was a chore and after about 3/4 of a glass I became too bored to finish. (718 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%

Ha ha, accidentally saw the BA average rating for this ale before reviewing it myself. Too funny. Anyway...Pours a tasty-looking red, with hints of amber. Slightly cloudy, so that's a good sign. A nice, two fingers of soda-like head forms, breaches, and crashes back into the liquid. Some foam remains, but it is just a whisper...No real lacing to speak of. Aromas are very faint in this and a bit hard to pin. Some Belgian funky-funk. Some fruit, like apple and, obviously, cherry. Not much else though. A tad disappointing. Flavor is crisp, tart and vibrant. Right upfront you get a bit of leathery, wine-like tannin. The flavor is kind of a mish-mash, and I can't pick anything cleanly out. I get some grapefruit peel. I'm having a real difficult time with this ale. Like it's not quite finished. Lots of tartness, an off bitterness in the finish (i.e. the grapefuit peel), and not much else. No real malt or hops characteristics at all. Since they are touting their homegrown hops and malt, this is disappointing. At $5.49/bomber, it's near the expensive side of middling, also. I would say avoid this beer, but it is quite unique, although not sure what they are trying to accomplish with it.

What I like most: The nice pour and unique qualities.

What I like least: The lack of identity in the ale as a whole.

Verdict: Try a sip of someone's if you see it, but it's not very good. (1,388 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- A vigorous pour only yields a fingers width of head. Poor retention and no lacing. The color is reddish brown.

S- Belgian yeast was the first thing that jumped out at me. It smells of dark fruit, but I'm having a hard time pulling any cherry notes out. Mild spices and a mineral aroma as well.

T- Basically like the nose although there is some tartness. This just doesn't taste like real cherries were used and it doesn't really resemble a dubbel either.

M- Mouthfeel is to thin for the style. Carbonation is low and slightly dry.

D- I'm not one of the Rogue haters in fact I've liked most of the brews to date besides this one. I just don't see where they were headed with this one. A poor effort from a great brewery. (726 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue makes some great brews - this is not one of them. Cherries were subtle (which was appropriate), but didn't blend in very well. I expect more from Rogue, this need refining.

Trying to problem solve: The store I purchased it from (today) might have not stored it at ideal temps. (284 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -21.6%

This isn't good. They managed to capture the essence of bad, rotten cherry flavor. I've tasted belgian lambics and lots of other styles with beautiful use of cherries. This is not one of those. I had looked forward to this one, but, please, this is a joke.

Becomes marginally better as it approaches room temperature, but still I don't get anything good from this one. The appearance and smell might be close to average, but everything else is below average. (459 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

Disturbing murky taste at first sip. Flat flavor with a touch of canned plums. Pours a cloudy brownish amber in the wine glass, though it has nice lacing. Maybe they had something in mind when they made this, but it's more of a stew than a style. Reminds me of old, oxidized Cold Duck champagne. Somehow manages to be both insipid and overly acidic. Metallic aftertaste.

Bought this out of the cooler at Rogue taproom in San Francisco. (436 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The first thing that I noticed was the head. It had a big bubble rice crispy treat head that quickly vanished (not the "dense creamy head" advertised on the bottle.) leaving behind a funky nose that smelled of grandma's stale cherry potpourri at the bottom of a cardboard box. While some have described it as having a sweet malt taste my bottle was mostly the Montmorency cherries which I believe also contributed the the very cloudy appearance. The one thing that I can say that I enjoyed a little with this beer was the mouthfeel. While I was expecting a heavier mouthfeel the medium weight was okay with me.

Beer should be enjoyable. Maybe to someone this would be but not to me. Generally I am easy to please and it is rare than I come across a craft beer that doesn't have some appeal to me. This however had very little if any.

If I were to revamp this beer the the first thing that I would do is cut back on the cherries. Secondly, I'd go ahead and try to make it darker. With the cloudy appearance you might as well. Thirdly, I'd fix that head somehow. It was most disappointing.

Overall rating on this beer is a 2.5 in my book. (1,141 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

A:This beer pours a ruby/brown color with two fingers of thick and creamy khaki colored head. Leaves some nice lacing as it fades.

S: Nose has some light tart cherry and apple juice notes. Slighty spicy yeast aroma as well.

T: The taste is strange. It starts off with spices that you would expect in a pumpkin beer. Perhaps nutmeg or cinnamon. A light tart cherry fills the back end. Almost tasting like cherry pie filling.

MF: Light to medium bodied. Great carbonation.

O: I'm not sure what I was really expecting from this beer, but it fell short of what I would have liked. The spice taste just isn't appealing to me in the least. Glad this is a one and done beer. (674 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Jim at Sherbrooke for the sample. Comes in a 650 ml brown bottle. Pours out a murky cloudy brown colour, creamy beige head with good retention.

Yeasty, spicy notes are most apparent at first on the nose, dry nutty malt, just a hint of cherry in the background.

Well then, things come to a kind of standstill with the flavour. Tart, some sour cherry, then a flat soda-like black cherry on the finish, some tangy yeast on the aftertaste. It just doesnt seem to come together, it's difficult to tell what they're actually aiming for.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied on the light side, very low carbonation.

I know Rogue is capable of pulling off some remarkable stuff, but this offering comes across as a bit amateur-ish. Perhaps it needed to sit and age more before bottling. I do like the concept, however this just not follow through. (843 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a dark fuchsia with a creamy beige head. The color is definitely eye-catching. Very interesting.

S: Faint aromas of bread, yeast, tart cherries, and nutty malt. The nose is a bit underwhelming. I was hoping for a bit more cohesion.

T: Opens tart and fruity with notes of tart cherry skin, heavy cream, almonds, nougat, yeast, and grassy, herbal hops. The finish is slight with fleeting notes of tart cherries and herbal hops.

M: Oily in the mouth and it never seems to dry out. Much lighter in body than I would have liked it to be.

O: This one simply does not do a thing for me. I don't know where Rogue was going with this one. (642 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

poured from 22oz bottle into imperial pint glass

A-cloudy mahogany with about 2 finger head that fades to a small cap leaving a little lacing behind

S-a little carmel malt and some dark fruit

T-dark fruit is all cherry in the taste and some sweet brown sugar

M-highly carbonationed and fizzy

O-more of a cherry soda than beer because it is so fizzy and cherry flavored (373 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

ST: 22oz bomber poured into a chalice. The bottle does not have a fresh by date or the alcohol percentage listed.

A: Dense and cloudy mahogany with a thin head that lacks retention: it settles in to a slight mist in the center of the glass.

S: Sweet malt, caramel, lots of dark cherry, mild alcohol, and cake.

T: Lots of sweet cherry, watered down malt, and some caramel. Very little hops for balance. Not very sour as the creek implies (but there is slight sour).

M: Medium and watery.

O: This beer is disappointing in many ways. It lacks the dense head the bottle promises and does not have the carbonation the style requires. The flavors and mouthfeel are watery and the hops are not very present for balance. Further is does not totally deliver on the sour nature of a creek (kriek). I have never had a Rogue beer I thought was bad, but this beer comes close to that thought. To be honest, I am afraid that I might have bought a beer that was simply past its prime (too old) or might have been damaged by elements somehow. The beer seems too off. Still, I have no idea if it is past its prime since Rogue does not have a fresh date on the bottle. Since I am unsure I am going to give this an overall 3.0. If I ever get my hands on another bottle I'll make sure to update this. (1,287 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -14.5%

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale--Ale brewed with cherries--Dare & Risk Malts--Grow The Revolution--GYO--2010 22 oz. Bottle. 5.78% ABV. 25 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Fruit Ale--Cherry. Foamy lacy dense light tan head. Tight sediment dust. Cloudy dirty amber brown color. Mild sour cherry Farmhouse ester light hop malt front. Mild sweet cloying chalky subtle cocoa brown ale sour cherry body. Dry mild sour citrus clean wild end. Belgianesque Rogue Kriek. Sampled & Purchased 11/5/2010 for $6.49 at Seattle QFC in Ballard. Another overpriced Rogue!! (544 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Pours out a murky brown color with an almost-white head. Not all that much to look at.

S: A lot of sweetness coming off on the nose on this beer: caramel, and maraschino cherries. I get no hops on the nose at all.

T: I get some puckering effect from the tartness of the cherries which tells me, though, that this beer isn't sweet. There is nothing wrong with this beer, I just don't care for it. Rogue lists it on their website as a Pale Ale, BA lists it as a Dubbel - it is neither. It's identity is lost somewhere.

M: Big carbonation and a medium body.

D: It's quite drinkable, however, put everything together and it's just not a good beer for me. (657 characters)

A - ruddy brown color. small offwhite head limps to the top and fades quickly leaving no lacing.

S - cherry is present in the nose but the rest in muddled. Nose real distiguishable hop, malt, or yeast notes.

T - sour notes through and though. Finishes with a bit of cherry. Slightly syrupy with little to no aftertaste.

O - while the GYO is a noble attempt it falls short. (375 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last