Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale - Rogue Ales

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek AleChatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Brewed using 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm Dare and Risk Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman and Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
75º Lovibond

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 08-21-2010)

jrdsvtk, Feb 21, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

NvMyBeer, Dec 23, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -54.3%

A: The pour is an amber color with a thin tan head.

S: The nose is not a good start to this beer. Smells like plastic and urinal cake. Mmm port-o-potty. Also some alcohol, puke, and sulfur. Man, what a winner.

T: A slight improvement on the flavor, but really bad, still. A bit of sweet caramel, cough syrup, a touch of sour cherries, and wood give this some redeeming flavors. But, there's still a lot of puke, alcohol, and plastic.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium carbonation.

D: Oh goodness. This was just awful. In no way would I want to drink this beer again.

womencantsail, Dec 12, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -49.9%

Bottle: Poured a deep cloudy reddish color ale with a large foamy head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of cherries with clear cough syrup notes and lightly sweet malt notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet cherries with some definite notes of cough syrup which are not that easily discernable. Body is full with light filtration and good carbonation. I really couldn’t get the cough syrup notes out of my mouth and I finally drain poured the reminder of my glass.

Phyl21ca, Aug 17, 2012

BrianCuoz, Jun 04, 2014

t0rin0, Dec 25, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours a murky creek water brown. Very hazy.

A faint aroma of fruit. Although cherries are not evident in aroma.

Nothing exceptional about the taste. It's reminiscent of a homebrewer's first attempt at making a fruit beer...not overly bad, but lacking in execution.

Mouthfeel is a bit watered down. The level of carbonation should have been increased slightly to compensate for the overall murkiness of the beer.

Although drinkable. You can't help but think 'inexperienced homebrewer'.

If you enjoy fruit infused beer, you should try this one. You'll taste it once, drink it fast, just to get it over with and order a flemish sour.

JBIII, Feb 20, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -33.4%

pours out of the 22oz. bottle a murky and dirty brown colour without much head and no lace. very little supporting carbonation. aroma of belgian yeast and tart cherries with some cocoa and candy like malts. tart flavours of cherries with a belgian flair...as far as being a dubbel, well...i'll take their word for it. some maltiness is present...some chocolate and ripe fruits outside the cherries used. it's sweet and there is hint of alcohol spice but there isn't much else to talk about. no real hop presence to speak of. slick mouthfeel lacking the lively mouthfeel of a respectable belgian. medium body. poor drinkability...not sure what the hell happened to this beer but it's flat and lacks soul.

overall i'd say i'm extremely disappointed. i do have a second bottle of this thanks to my wife who bought this for me as gift, so if the second bottle shows any more life than this one, i'll be sure to reconsider my poor marks.

budgood1, Mar 23, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

mpenning13, Oct 18, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -30.4%

poured an amber reddish color with ruby highlights that had a thin head and almost no lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was not very appealing consisting of plastic notes and very little cherry character. It honeslty semmed like it was fermented in plastic vats and also had no belgian yeast notes. The taste was pretty big on plastic as well with some cherry chracter and slight tart qualities. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, mild fruity, and slight tart finish. It definitely was a disaster for the tasting. Yo bobby...sorry I brought this shit to your tasting.

Gobzilla, Dec 19, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

From a 22 oz bomber into New Belgium Globe
2/2/11

A - Nice white head that quickly dissipated. Purple marroon like brown color that wasn't see through even up to the light - looked like a bordeaux with "foam"

S - Strong overwhelming smell of cherry, with a light grape like scent that reminded of wine, with a slightly sour nose that was from the overwhelming cherry -

T - Lightly tart, sour, definite cherry with a light malty finish

M - light, not as carbonated as I thought it would be with such a sour note from the cherry, and the cherry taste would have you expecting - not much lingering flavor although my mouth felt "soured out" despite this not being a sour style beer

D - Was surprised at the sour taste being so strong from a fresher "ale" - it smelled like wine - and my girlfriend and I both drink beers and wine - neither of us were impressed with this and wouldn't buy it again - had bought thinking the cherry would be a nice impression as we like sours and a variety of ales - this was just all over cherry with light hint of malt - too puckering even with us splitting it...
I like the GYO idea and with Rogue doing this organically, just wasn't expecting this from them on this - really tart overwhelmingly - we finished this but it took a while and we had to "work through it. $5.99 or $6.99 for the bottle at the local bottle shop here...

MrHirschybar, Feb 14, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

A - Redish milk chocolate, creamy bone white head.

S - Touch of sour. Dusty hop notes. Very mild.

T - Malty bread notes and sour grapes. Dry dusty character. Bitter cranberries in the finish.

M - Very dry with a medium-light body.

D - Drinkable, but the mouthfeel and flavor aren't particularly great.

O - I'm a huge fan of Rogue beers but this one just didn't do it for me. The dryness really clawed at me, and there was something I didn't dig about about cranberry bitterness.

vfgccp, Jan 01, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -29%

From 22oz bomber to Jackie's O's tulip on 7/14/11
*From notes

A: Lovely presentation. Unfiltered pinkish-red radish in color, with a touch of warm amber at the edges. Solid 2.75 finger head on a good pour. The head dies quite quickly, leaving just a bit of lacing.

S: Medicinal, processed prune juice. As it warms, it's got a stagnant metallic quality to it that's extremely off-putting.

T: The taste is a touch better then the nose, but it sure isn't gonna win Rogue any awards. Cloyingly acicic, with an odd and salty rotting red fruit flavor. Mild malt hits the mid. The backbone of this beer should be the concentration of fruit, but instead they seem to have bastardized it, as it's flimsy and thin. Dissapointing.

M: Really? We're calling this a Dubbel? EPIC FAIL. It's all soft carbonation up front and awkwardly oily and sinfully thin on the back of the palate.

D: Rogue's Chatoe Rogue First Frowth Creek Ale is yet another dissapointment from the crew at Rogue. To call it a Dubbel is insulting to real, well produced Dubbels like St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Westmalle's Dubbel.

In the future I'll most certainly be avoiding this, and I heartily recommend that you do the same.

Rhettroactive, Aug 07, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -26.9%

I really wanted to like this beer. The beer was served chilled in wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a murky mahogany coloration. The head is a thin white coloration that rapidly resolves.

Smell: I had high hopes based on the aroma. Sweet tart and sour cherries great my nose. A pleasant musty clove aroma lurks in the background.

Taste: Taste is a major let down. Musty tart cherries and little else. In short this beer is bland! No off flavors just nothing really going on.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. Light carbonation really seems to make the beer go a bit more limp. Drinking the beer was a chore and after about 3/4 of a glass I became too bored to finish.

nlmartin, Dec 30, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -26%

A - Rusty brown body with an off-white head.

S - Tart cherries, brown sugar, raisins.

T - Acidic and tart cherries up front. Some burnt brown sugar, raisins, hints of caramel malt. Finishes semi dry. Aftertaste is like cherry NyQuil.

M - Moderate fizzy carbonation, thin body.

The tart cherry flavor is the only thing going for this beer. It just falls flat and halfway through I had no desire to continue.

StaveHooks, Nov 24, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

P: 2/5. Boysenberry purple. Dark. Very cloudy. Nearly opaque. No head.

A: 3/5. Deep stone fruit. Cherries. Fig. Caramel. No hop aroma.

F: 5/10. Initially tart, but quickly goes away. Cherry, caramel. Some bitterness.

M: 2/5. Medium body. Some lingering, but not overwhelming. Pleasant cherry aftertaste.

O: 4/10. Okay. Not great, but fine.

jsled, Aug 20, 2011

ajtorres311, May 10, 2013

JHeskew, Jul 07, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Ha ha, accidentally saw the BA average rating for this ale before reviewing it myself. Too funny. Anyway...Pours a tasty-looking red, with hints of amber. Slightly cloudy, so that's a good sign. A nice, two fingers of soda-like head forms, breaches, and crashes back into the liquid. Some foam remains, but it is just a whisper...No real lacing to speak of. Aromas are very faint in this and a bit hard to pin. Some Belgian funky-funk. Some fruit, like apple and, obviously, cherry. Not much else though. A tad disappointing. Flavor is crisp, tart and vibrant. Right upfront you get a bit of leathery, wine-like tannin. The flavor is kind of a mish-mash, and I can't pick anything cleanly out. I get some grapefruit peel. I'm having a real difficult time with this ale. Like it's not quite finished. Lots of tartness, an off bitterness in the finish (i.e. the grapefuit peel), and not much else. No real malt or hops characteristics at all. Since they are touting their homegrown hops and malt, this is disappointing. At $5.49/bomber, it's near the expensive side of middling, also. I would say avoid this beer, but it is quite unique, although not sure what they are trying to accomplish with it.

What I like most: The nice pour and unique qualities.

What I like least: The lack of identity in the ale as a whole.

Verdict: Try a sip of someone's if you see it, but it's not very good.

SolomonGrundy, Dec 04, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- A vigorous pour only yields a fingers width of head. Poor retention and no lacing. The color is reddish brown.

S- Belgian yeast was the first thing that jumped out at me. It smells of dark fruit, but I'm having a hard time pulling any cherry notes out. Mild spices and a mineral aroma as well.

T- Basically like the nose although there is some tartness. This just doesn't taste like real cherries were used and it doesn't really resemble a dubbel either.

M- Mouthfeel is to thin for the style. Carbonation is low and slightly dry.

D- I'm not one of the Rogue haters in fact I've liked most of the brews to date besides this one. I just don't see where they were headed with this one. A poor effort from a great brewery.

Dawkfan, Oct 30, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue makes some great brews - this is not one of them. Cherries were subtle (which was appropriate), but didn't blend in very well. I expect more from Rogue, this need refining.

Trying to problem solve: The store I purchased it from (today) might have not stored it at ideal temps.

papajcik, Apr 23, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

This isn't good. They managed to capture the essence of bad, rotten cherry flavor. I've tasted belgian lambics and lots of other styles with beautiful use of cherries. This is not one of those. I had looked forward to this one, but, please, this is a joke.

Becomes marginally better as it approaches room temperature, but still I don't get anything good from this one. The appearance and smell might be close to average, but everything else is below average.

a74gent, Oct 31, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Disturbing murky taste at first sip. Flat flavor with a touch of canned plums. Pours a cloudy brownish amber in the wine glass, though it has nice lacing. Maybe they had something in mind when they made this, but it's more of a stew than a style. Reminds me of old, oxidized Cold Duck champagne. Somehow manages to be both insipid and overly acidic. Metallic aftertaste.

Bought this out of the cooler at Rogue taproom in San Francisco.

mactrail, Aug 31, 2011
2.71/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The first thing that I noticed was the head. It had a big bubble rice crispy treat head that quickly vanished (not the "dense creamy head" advertised on the bottle.) leaving behind a funky nose that smelled of grandma's stale cherry potpourri at the bottom of a cardboard box. While some have described it as having a sweet malt taste my bottle was mostly the Montmorency cherries which I believe also contributed the the very cloudy appearance. The one thing that I can say that I enjoyed a little with this beer was the mouthfeel. While I was expecting a heavier mouthfeel the medium weight was okay with me.

Beer should be enjoyable. Maybe to someone this would be but not to me. Generally I am easy to please and it is rare than I come across a craft beer that doesn't have some appeal to me. This however had very little if any.

If I were to revamp this beer the the first thing that I would do is cut back on the cherries. Secondly, I'd go ahead and try to make it darker. With the cloudy appearance you might as well. Thirdly, I'd fix that head somehow. It was most disappointing.

Overall rating on this beer is a 2.5 in my book.

Beer_Seer, Aug 19, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

A:This beer pours a ruby/brown color with two fingers of thick and creamy khaki colored head. Leaves some nice lacing as it fades.

S: Nose has some light tart cherry and apple juice notes. Slighty spicy yeast aroma as well.

T: The taste is strange. It starts off with spices that you would expect in a pumpkin beer. Perhaps nutmeg or cinnamon. A light tart cherry fills the back end. Almost tasting like cherry pie filling.

MF: Light to medium bodied. Great carbonation.

O: I'm not sure what I was really expecting from this beer, but it fell short of what I would have liked. The spice taste just isn't appealing to me in the least. Glad this is a one and done beer.

LOCAL, May 07, 2011