Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 08-21-2010

Brewed using 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm Dare and Risk Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman and Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
75º Lovibond
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

The home grown beers of Rogue continue with an oddly appealing Belgian style Dubbel Ale with cherries added, that in combination seem as much like prunes as it does cherries.

Pouring a rusty amber color, the beer forms a lightly tanned head, stained from barley malts and while building a creamy head of foam and lace. A medium haze gives a good amount of visual weight. A fairly standard Dubbel look except for the texture of the foam.

Malty and tart aromas seem of brown sugar, sorghum, and with cherries and maybe green apples- a non-descript tartness, really. Farily simplistic, the beer only carries a mild corriander and earthy spice that accompany the fruity tartness in balance.

The odd flavors of Dare and Risk malts provide a base that seems partly of caramelized, plump varieties, void of the grainy confectioner's sugar taste of authentic Belgian varieties. A counterpart of the brown sugar and sorghum brings a lot of heaft in taste, but only moderate in sweetness, seemingly somewhat of Gluten Free sorghum based beers. Cherry flavored tartness helps in balance, but seems to substitute the yeasty spice and estery fruitiness that's exhibited in traditional Dubbels. A very simple flavor spread, except for the distraction of cherry flavor.

Medium-full in body, the early carbonation is tossed aside for the full tartness of cherries, causing acidic bite and astringency on the corners of the mouth in the same vein of grape skins. Light in finish, the beer actually looses its structure and weakens considerable, never allowing for the malty-dry or warming finish that Belgian Ales deserve.

Tasty enough, this Dubbel acheives satisfactory status with a cleaner, less earthy Belgian character while the fruit additions distract from the base beer while adding complexity. (1,790 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%

ST: 22oz bomber poured into a chalice. The bottle does not have a fresh by date or the alcohol percentage listed.

A: Dense and cloudy mahogany with a thin head that lacks retention: it settles in to a slight mist in the center of the glass.

S: Sweet malt, caramel, lots of dark cherry, mild alcohol, and cake.

T: Lots of sweet cherry, watered down malt, and some caramel. Very little hops for balance. Not very sour as the creek implies (but there is slight sour).

M: Medium and watery.

O: This beer is disappointing in many ways. It lacks the dense head the bottle promises and does not have the carbonation the style requires. The flavors and mouthfeel are watery and the hops are not very present for balance. Further is does not totally deliver on the sour nature of a creek (kriek). I have never had a Rogue beer I thought was bad, but this beer comes close to that thought. To be honest, I am afraid that I might have bought a beer that was simply past its prime (too old) or might have been damaged by elements somehow. The beer seems too off. Still, I have no idea if it is past its prime since Rogue does not have a fresh date on the bottle. Since I am unsure I am going to give this an overall 3.0. If I ever get my hands on another bottle I'll make sure to update this. (1,287 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Cloudy mahogany colour with a creamy, foamy light tan head. Good head retention.

Rich, spicy coriander and clove aroma with a hint of cherry. Slightly malty. Good. I even get a touch of chocolate.

Quite malty with a good amount of sweetness. There is also a tart cherry note which adds depth. I'm not sure that it is the best beer out there but it isn't bad and the overall picture is worth trying.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A solid beer with a nice flavour and the cherry being truly distinguishable. It isn't really the sour ale that I expected with a name like Creek (Kriek) but the overall dark Belgian with cherries thing works well. (667 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

writing this review from notes thanks to a computer crash yesterday. Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. I didnt really know what to expect from this beer, but give props to the brewery for growing all their own products for the brew.

a-pours a murky, dark brown/orange. looks like the dubbel that it is, perhaps a little on the dark side. very little head at all.

s-immediate cherry smell. some malt, grain and wheat. there is some dark burned sugar as well

t-raisin, brown sugar, some fruity-ness. very dry cherry finish. a nice complex flavor like a dubbel should be.

m-again within the style. lots of carbonation but it helps let the flavors dance around on my tounge. no alcohol noticeable at all. very dry finish, but i find it pleasant.

overall, I enjoyed this beer. I enjoy belgian style dubbels, and the cherry flavor in this one wasnt overpowering. Again, props to the brewer for growing all of their own ingredients. A nice change of pace, and at 3.99 a bomber, a good price. (996 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a red wine glass.

A: Pours a reddish dark brown with a very thin layer of rapidly vanishing foam which leaves soap bubbles along the rim and lace in the center. It's a pretty beer.

S: Hay, malt, fruit, alcohol spice, and the faintest whiff of horses.

T: Opens bright with tart cherries and a the mouth-puckering notes of what tastes an awful lot like lacto. Sweet malts arrive mid-palate. The only flaw I can find with this beer is that early on I noticed a dissonant chord of a finish: wheat, pennies, esters, and bittering hops. Half-way through the bottle, and the finish doesn't bother me nearly as much.

M: A bit thinner than I'd like, but not unreasonable for the style.

O: This a delightfully refreshing fairly nuanced beer. I am surprised that it has not got as much love on this site as I would have expected.

Rock on, Rogue. (874 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer pours a hazy red amber color with a slight amount of off white head that doesn't retain or lace well. The aroma has notes of sour cherry and caramel malt. The taste starts malty sweet, could be slightly more pronounced, and finishes with slightly sweet and then sour cherry notes. The mouthfeel is nice and clean and balanced. Overall a good unique beer. (364 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Bought the bottle at Westmere Beverage - primarily because it was only $2.99 and because I'd never had it. . . .

A: Poured from the bomber into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body is ruddy brown with a small tan head that settles fast. When backlit, the body turns nearly-ruby red. No lace.

S: Cherries and berries. Nothing more is really noted.

T: First impression: like cherry soda, both because of the taste (cherries, berries and a generic fruitiness) and the carbonation, which is active. Slight tartness at the finish, but other than that basic cherry/berry fruitiness, I'm having a hard time getting much else. Finishes fairly clean, with a slight lingering fruitiness.

M: As noted above, very fizzy. Perhaps all that sugar from the cherries gave the yeast plenty of fuel.

O: Interesting, but in a lot of ways, it's not really beer-like. Made me wonder if this is what those alco-pops taste like. I only drank about 2/3 of the bottle before drain-pouring it. Just wasn't in the mood for this type of beverage at that moment. (1,040 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is a brown, ruby-tinged color, and appears slightly hazy. The head is undersized, and leaves sparse lacing on the glass.

The aroma is earthy with sweet cherries, and a subtle yeast / bread character.

The flavor is decent. The cherries are there, but play more of a secondary role. Nice malt flavor. Everything seems pretty well balanced. The flavor is mostly sweet, but finishes with a subtle tartness.

The body is thin to medium, with fairly light carbonation.

Overall, this was drinkable, though unexciting. (523 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +3%

Shared by the other Matt recently in his pad. Thanks! Beer is brownish reddish hazy with a lazy head and moderate carbonation.

Beer smells sweet with a mild cherry fruit flavor, mild yeast character, bready.

Beer is sweet and minor fruit; wet beer on the finish. The overall beer is fine but plain and drinkable. We dank the whole thing but I doubt I'd have it again. (369 characters)

A - ruddy brown color. small offwhite head limps to the top and fades quickly leaving no lacing.

S - cherry is present in the nose but the rest in muddled. Nose real distiguishable hop, malt, or yeast notes.

T - sour notes through and though. Finishes with a bit of cherry. Slightly syrupy with little to no aftertaste.

O - while the GYO is a noble attempt it falls short. (375 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

A:This beer pours a ruby/brown color with two fingers of thick and creamy khaki colored head. Leaves some nice lacing as it fades.

S: Nose has some light tart cherry and apple juice notes. Slighty spicy yeast aroma as well.

T: The taste is strange. It starts off with spices that you would expect in a pumpkin beer. Perhaps nutmeg or cinnamon. A light tart cherry fills the back end. Almost tasting like cherry pie filling.

MF: Light to medium bodied. Great carbonation.

O: I'm not sure what I was really expecting from this beer, but it fell short of what I would have liked. The spice taste just isn't appealing to me in the least. Glad this is a one and done beer. (674 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy dark reddish brown with not much of a head and little lacing.

Smells of malt, and some fruit, but nothing jumps out as being cherry.

Tastes a bit better than it smells. Malty, and tastes of apple juice--but in a good way I guess. There are also some sour cherry notes as well.

Pretty good mouthfeel, dry tart and sour with good carbonation.

An overall good beer, but not as much cherry taste as I expected. (423 characters)

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale

I like the play on words - "Chatoe" (not a word) vs. chateau, and "Creek" vs. kriek - and I love what they're doing with their hopyard and barley farm. Will I like the beer?

It smells moderately of cherries. Good. I don't like it over-done. There's just enough there. It only hints at cherry, and if you hadn't read the label you might just think that was yeasty fruitiness.

The same is true of the flavor. There's a bit of cherry, but it's not a lot. Unlike the aroma, however, it is clear. It rises up above the soft, lightly caramelish, wheaty maltiness. It's subtly grassy, but I can't tell if that's from the malt or hops. I find fruit at the front, followed by a rising maltiness, and then they both drop out slowly in the short-lingering finish. Interestingly enough, some clove and spice appear. Hmmm. Double hmmmm. It's a touch malty for the limited 25 BU's, and I find it a little bit out of balance. It's a touch full, but certainly not sticky... the slight tartness of the cherry helps cut through that. So I wonder, would I like it better with a little less malt? Would there be enough left for it to be a Rogue beer? I certainly don't think they should bump the bitterness - that would be a move in the wrong direction. And going more Belgian yeast wouldn't help. Hmmm???

So I'm reminded of a conversation with Michael Jackson about hedonistic tasting versus stylistic tasting, and he said something along the lines of "Well really, it's all hedonistic. But when it's hedonistic as opposed to 'does it fit the style', that's the best way to enjoy a beer". So, not that I was on about style anyway, but, did I enjoy it? - yes. Would I have another? - yes. OK then. (1,718 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +30.2%

More proof that I may be aging at a faster rate than my 46+ calendar years might suggest - I nap in the afternoon and am awake at odd hours, much like my grandfathers. At least I can have a beer at this hour (0411, Local, EDT) without the worry/guilt of going into school later. Frankly, I hate to go in to school in any state other than sober as it is an inter-urban environment and the b.s. just intensifies if I am hung over.

I am setting myself up for a marathon of beer this weekend, drinking some room in my refrigerator and enjoying myself all the while. This will segue into some Sam Smith's fruit beers later.

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Farmers and Fermenters"; "GYO is a Rogue Ales term for Grow Your Own, We made this ale with our own hops and barley."; "Malty aroma, dark mahogany brown in color with a dense creamy head. Medium bodied with a rich, malty sweetness and dry cherry finish." They also include the Lat & Long for their Hopyard and Barley Farm. Har!

My intent was to not stir up any extant lees, so my gentle pour created only deep-tan wisps. Mahogany brown, eh? Good to know! Accompanied by NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose was rich with a dried dark fruit sweetness. Usually, I can recognize Rogue beers by their scent, but not in this case. I was reminded of cherry preserves, frankly. Mouthfeel was medium with a veddy dry tartness on the tongue. When I say dry, I am talking alum or desiccant territory! Man, this was drinking like some of my uncle's better cherry wines from ~ 20 years ago. Finish evinced some banana esters, no doubt the Belgian yeast poking through. Great gooddam, but this was goood! I would have this with Easter ham or on a picnic with ham sammiches. It was not sour, but more tart and dry, aligned with what I would expect from Montmorency cherries. (1,823 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Rogue makes some great brews - this is not one of them. Cherries were subtle (which was appropriate), but didn't blend in very well. I expect more from Rogue, this need refining.

Trying to problem solve: The store I purchased it from (today) might have not stored it at ideal temps. (284 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Chestnut color, light creamy head, looks like it has some dark roast malt.

S: Big fruity aroma. cherry and orange.

T: Good characteristics for the style. Not quite what I think of for a Belgium ale. This could probably rival some of the weaker lambics. Starts out malty, then has a nice sour cherry bite at the finish, which brings you back for the next sip.

M: Leaves the mouth with a nice bitter sourness.

O: If your thinking about getting into lambics try it. For the price, its a nice change of pace beer. Definitely not Rouge's best work, but I imagine they will refine this one a little more in a few years and bring it where it needs to be. I will return to it after a few wrinkles get ironed out. (715 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from bottle into ridged pint glass.

Pours a murky red brown, with a huge creamy head that dies down to a small head, with minimal lacing. Flavor comes off a little sour cherry. Little to no hop profile, which is a bummer, as the bottle boasts their own hop.

That being said, this is a tasty beer. The tart comes off as refreshing and the beer is quite effervescent. That, combined with a lack of alcohol makes this an easily drinkable beverage, however, I don't see myself having more than one.

Can't wait to see what comes next from Rogue. (552 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -2.7%

The DIY ethic runs deep in brewers. I think it would be safe to say that most folks that get into the craft beer business arrive there through their own home brewing experience. What else could be the logical extension of wanting to brew your own beer than growing all your own ingredients?

Sierra Nevada's Estate Homegrown Ale could be seen as a forerunner to this "revolution." Whether this becomes a trend probably will depend on the continued ability for hops and grains to be transported affordably and reliably. With pundits predicting gas shooting up past five bucks a gallon next year, it might just be time to start jack hammering that parking lot. But I digress.

This Creek, or more succinctly, "Kriek" Ale pours murky reddish brown and throws a healthy whipped cream-thick eggshell-colored head with excellent retention and very little lacing. The first sip delivers sour Montmorency cherries and a sweet malt profile based on two homegrown malts, Dare and Risk, in the mash. Rogue is pitching their proprietary Pacman yeast strain, which is pretty neutral, along with a Belgian, which contributes some mild clove, banana, and spice notes.

This brew has almost no hop profile, which is a shame, as they went to the trouble of growing their own Revolution hops. The few distributors that offer a description of this strain, seem to place Revolution in the mild, "where a refined and 'noble' hop character is desired," category.

Personally, I would have liked to see Rogue use a little more aggressive hop, but that's just me, I'm sick that way. As it stands, Rogue's baby isn't bad, just ill defined. Not sour enough to be a sour, not yeasty enough for a Belgian; the mouthfeel is watery and non-descript, lacking the strident carbonation usually associated with the Belgian styles.

The trouble with blazing a trail is that you get to do all the heavy lifting: slogging through the swamps and stumbling into the sinkholes that followers will take for granted. I don't mean to imply that Rogue's Creek Ale tastes in anyway like, well ... creek, it just that pioneer cookin' isn't going to make Zagat's list anytime soon. (2,136 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

pours out of the 22oz. bottle a murky and dirty brown colour without much head and no lace. very little supporting carbonation. aroma of belgian yeast and tart cherries with some cocoa and candy like malts. tart flavours of cherries with a belgian flair...as far as being a dubbel, well...i'll take their word for it. some maltiness is present...some chocolate and ripe fruits outside the cherries used. it's sweet and there is hint of alcohol spice but there isn't much else to talk about. no real hop presence to speak of. slick mouthfeel lacking the lively mouthfeel of a respectable belgian. medium body. poor drinkability...not sure what the hell happened to this beer but it's flat and lacks soul.

overall i'd say i'm extremely disappointed. i do have a second bottle of this thanks to my wife who bought this for me as gift, so if the second bottle shows any more life than this one, i'll be sure to reconsider my poor marks. (933 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from the bottle into a chalice.

Appearance is a dark brown with ruby highlights. Small head, lacing lasts throughout.

Aroma is of tart cherries, I don't pick up any sourness at all, no hops, touch of malt.

Taste is dry, tart cherries. Not approaching a sour beer, it's missing that final level of tart dryness. If you were easing someone into sours, this is a good choice as it has some of the characters, but dialed back. No hop character, sweetness up front is overwhelmed by the dry tartness of the cherries.

Mouthfeel is solid.

Drinkability is hurt by the tartness, would be tough to drink a bunch, but the twenty two ounce bottle is not hard to get through. (674 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Bomber bottle into a pint glass

A: Deep auburn. I can't see 1" into it. Not much of a head.

S: A little light malt and sweetness.

T: Big sour maltiness up front. Ends like a dried sour cherry. Nice, in the style of a sour/bock? Heavy dark malt and tart cherry. Definitely.

M: Big carbonation with slight tang of cherry as a finish.

D: Really another neat brew from Rogue. Interesting... (391 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a murky creek water brown. Very hazy.

A faint aroma of fruit. Although cherries are not evident in aroma.

Nothing exceptional about the taste. It's reminiscent of a homebrewer's first attempt at making a fruit beer...not overly bad, but lacking in execution.

Mouthfeel is a bit watered down. The level of carbonation should have been increased slightly to compensate for the overall murkiness of the beer.

Although drinkable. You can't help but think 'inexperienced homebrewer'.

If you enjoy fruit infused beer, you should try this one. You'll taste it once, drink it fast, just to get it over with and order a flemish sour. (635 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle poured into a Rodenbach flute

A - Pours a muddy dark brownish-red with just the thinnest of a off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze. Kinda ugly, like dishwater.
S - Subdued aromas of cherries, grapes, and apples with some sweet malt and just a faint hint of funk.
T - Very close to the nose, apple juice, white grapes, and cherries dominate, again with some slightly sweet malt and slight tartness. Not very sour, tastes like fruit juice.
M - Slick, with a medium body and medium-low carbonation. Dry finish, very red wine-like.
D - Nice drinkablity, but I really wish this was a bit more sour. (617 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a murky mahogany red with a weak slightly pinkish head with medium lacing.

S: There is a sour lambic smell up front that has that typical kriek like essence to it. Not much more to the aroma, maby a slight yeastyness.

T: Nice sour tart lambic kriek flavor, with that slightly sweet cherry background and a faint light maltiness.

M: Light body with good carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Decent beer, I was expecting a little more out of it, but still very enjoyable. (479 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a cloudy dark amber/red color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light and fruity scent that boasts of crystal malts and cherries along with a mild Belgian yeast character. The taste is decent as well. It has a smooth, crystal malt sweetness that goes down easy with a moderate Belgian yeast fruitiness. The addition of cherries elevates the taste and compliments the yeast esters. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer, although it falls short for the Dubbel style. (589 characters)

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale from Rogue Ales