Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 08-21-2010

Brewed using 8 ingredients: Wheat, Rogue Barley Farm Dare and Risk Malts, Rogue Hopyard Revolution Hops, Montmorency Cherries, Pacman and Belgian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
75º Lovibond
2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

From a 22 oz bomber into New Belgium Globe

A - Nice white head that quickly dissipated. Purple marroon like brown color that wasn't see through even up to the light - looked like a bordeaux with "foam"

S - Strong overwhelming smell of cherry, with a light grape like scent that reminded of wine, with a slightly sour nose that was from the overwhelming cherry -

T - Lightly tart, sour, definite cherry with a light malty finish

M - light, not as carbonated as I thought it would be with such a sour note from the cherry, and the cherry taste would have you expecting - not much lingering flavor although my mouth felt "soured out" despite this not being a sour style beer

D - Was surprised at the sour taste being so strong from a fresher "ale" - it smelled like wine - and my girlfriend and I both drink beers and wine - neither of us were impressed with this and wouldn't buy it again - had bought thinking the cherry would be a nice impression as we like sours and a variety of ales - this was just all over cherry with light hint of malt - too puckering even with us splitting it...
I like the GYO idea and with Rogue doing this organically, just wasn't expecting this from them on this - really tart overwhelmingly - we finished this but it took a while and we had to "work through it. $5.99 or $6.99 for the bottle at the local bottle shop here...

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on February 5, 2011. It pours a cloudy amber-brown with a thin head despite an aggressive pour. Where there are supposed to be cherries in the aroma I get more in the way of malts, grains, and bread. The body is about medium with a tart taste that reminds me of fruit but really does not bring it out.

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Shared this bottle with my girlfriend.

The color is a ruddy amber, ruby, and tonacco brown. The head is about one finger after the pour, and only a little foam after a few sips.

The aroma has lots of roasted malts and toasted malt aromas. These caramel and bread crust aromas mix with some cherry tobacco notes.

Tart mouthfeel that almost turn winey from the front of the palate. The cherries afer uyp some tartness from the onset. The middle is a little more mellow thanks to the roasted and toasted malt flavors. The cherries seem to take away from what could've been a good Dubble. The cherries give the beer some tartness that seems to dominate at times as well as a little flavor. Not bad, but not worth buying again in my book.

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

A - slightly hazy copper red, solid tan head retained very well, not much lacing
S - cloves and fruity yeast esters, leafy hops, somewhat musty, with a candied fruit overtone
T - up front it has a very hefe like taste of cloves and fruity yeast, then comes the sweet cherry and somewhat phenolic taste, with some leafy hops and caramel malt in the background
M - well carbonated, syrupy moving to a tangy medicinal feel
T - seemingly a mix of a a few different styles, but it defintely works with the cherry flavour being present but in a nice addition to a solid brew instead of an in your face feature, refreshing and sweet at the same time

Bought from Tamura's in Kailua, HI for $6.99. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber-brown color with a thin lace of head. Good carbonation...bubbles up to the top.

Smell: Vinegar and tart cherries.

Taste & Appearance: Some malts upfront. The cherries really come out on this one. Has a bit of a wine feel to it with the tartness of the cherries, the acidity of the vinegar taste and a dryness that tends to linger into the aftertaste. Light to medium in the body.

Drinkability: Although this is a good beer and has some characteristics that i can only attribute to my experiences with wine, I would have to say one bottle is plenty. If your a fan of cherries, then I would recommended this without any hesitation. Really respect the idea behind Rogue's GYO (Grow Your Own) series with their home produced beers.

3.54/5  rDev +5%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a deep, rich red color with just the thinnest ring of off-white head that had low retention and lacing.

Upon popping the cap I got a huge blast of cherries. As I poured the beer, the cherry scent was even more noticeable. Underneath the fruit was a basically solid, malt and grain scent typical of the style. The flavors were also earthy and full, with a bit of yeast adding a hint of tang to the sweetness of the cherries.

The body was pretty typical for the style, full and smooth. Drinkability was good, but I wouldn't want more than a 22 at a sitting.

Overall, a solidly pleasant beer that's worth a shot when you see it.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a St. Bernardus chalice, the beer pours a hazy reddish/brown color with about a half inch off-white head which goes away quickly. Lacing is decent. Aroma is sweet malt and sweet and tart cherries, nothing else that I can tell. The aroma is a bit weak. Taste is the same as the aroma for the most part, but there's also a slight medicinal taste so this brew isn't as appealing as I thought it would be. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, seems a little thin at times. Drinkability is average. It's not a bad beer, but this just doesn't do anything for me at all.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A clear, dark reddish-brown body capped by two fingers of dense, cream-colored head that fade slowly and leave patchy lacing.

Aroma: A mix of vinous fruit, clove-like spice, wheat, and burnt sugar malt. All in all, this smells exactly what it is: unique.

Flavor: This starts off essentially as a typical American Dubbel with a wheat twist. There are the same clove, wheat and burnt sugar notes as in the nose. Towards the middle though, there's a mildly tart cherry kick that really separates this beer from other Dubbels and lasts through the finish

Mouthfeel: A creamy medium body with smooth medium carbonation and a slightly drying finish.

Drinkability: If you aren't put off by the berry finish, this is as easy drinking as the mild alcohol content would suggest.

Verdict: Overall, this is an interesting little experiment. Not only is it cool to drink one of the "Chateau" type beers, but when it bends the style and throws in some cherries to boot, the novelty factor goes off the charts. That said, I'm not sure how often I would re-buy this beer if it was available year-round.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Pours a slighly cloudy dark reddish brown color with a very small 1/8" head of light tan bubbles even after a rather aggressive pour. Not what I expected from a Dubbel. There is some sparse lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I initially got a healthy dose of the Belgian aromatics from the yeast along with a reserved astringency that I assume is the cherries. I am definitely getting lots of fruitiness from the yeast, but it isn't nearly as much from the cherries as I would have hoped.

Taste: The flavor is MUCH nicer than I expected from the aroma. The cherries are there, but they are adding a super subtle note when compared to the syrupy gooyness of some other Belgian Krieks. The overall body is medium with ample carbonation for what the beer is. There is some bitterness, but it is a good thing that it is reserved as there is a good bit of bitterness contributed from the cherries as well. The alcohol is contributing a subtle warming on the back of the throat that appears long after the sip, but overall it is the other flavors that prevail in the finish.

Opinion: This is an alright beer. I am hard-pressed to say that it is obviously a Kriek beer...in fact, if I hadn't read it, I probably would have interpreted it as esters and astringency. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but don't expect the "WOW!" that you might expect after you read the bottle description.

3.97/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Pours a deep, hazy brown color with some red-orange highlights. The medium sized head has a caramel tint and a dense, frothy texture. Retention is above average, and a modest amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Dark maltiness and spicy yeast notes are most noticeable. Appropriately Belgian here - soft clove and fruitiness mix well with some brown sugary character. Tart cherries aromas are in the background, but add a fresh tanginess to the nose.

T: Primarily a solid dubbel up front. Brown sugar, caramel, and bready malt are joined by some light spicy/phenolic notes and fruity flavors. Cherry flavor is prominent into the finish, but is only momentarily sour before melding back into the rest of the base beer. A faint hop bitterness in the finish adds focus - this is not an overwhelmingly sweet fruit beer.

M: Medium-firm body. Carbonation is fairly assertive. A tart, fairly dry finish.

D: A very enjoyable take on a Belgian standby. The cherries aren't quite perfectly incorporated, but they add a nice touch of tartness and fruit flavor without stealing the spotlight. A worthwhile and interesting offering from Rogue's side project.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Mahogany pur with an average off-white head. Minimal carbonation leaving a small ring around the edge of my tulip.

Light, semi-sweet malts with a natural, unsweetened cherry on the nose. Lightly sour.

Semi-sweet cherries are definitely the prime flavor in this one. The malts were very muted. Big time natural cherry on the finish. Enjoyable.

I'm becoming a fan of the GYO series from Rogue.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Read about this somewhere and knew it was something I wanted to try seeing it on shelves so late after its release

Dark, mahogany brown with a rich creamy head just as the bottle described. The head dissipated quickly but left nice lacing down the glass. There is a classic haze to this beer as well.

Fruity/malty sweetness followed by rich Belgian yeast funk. I am not certain as to how heavily this beer will be hopped, but I do not sense any strong bitter notes.

I am certain that it is a Belgian, but also not getting the hops I had hoped for. I realize that it would be uncharacteristic for it's class to have super industrial strength hops, but it's a west coast brewery so I need something...The cherries leave a tart and dry finish that has me going back for more.

I am pleased with this beer's mouthfeel, sweet and alive tasting followed by tartness and dryness. There is a slightly sweet aftertaste as well, but it's not overpowering. I chose to drink this beer colder, but it become more tart as I let it warm.

This beer is highly drinkable and I am not sure why it received such low ratings. I would drink this beer on tap and likely try a second time. It's easy and complex, good ingredients went into its production...so what's not to like?

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours an effervescent & somewhat opaque orange tinged chestnut with a finger of tan head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Orchard fruit, phenols & a touch of barnyard

T: Earthy with slight raspberry notes, plus black & tart cherries up front, slight iron flavor as well. The cherry flavor really settles as this warms, along with more iron notes (a slight detractor) & a slight tartness. Finishes somewhat tart, with a slight cherry sweetness & a touch of pear

MF: Medium bodied, pretty assertive carbonation that falls off a bit over time

Pretty drinkable, not as complex as I hoped, but still a pretty nice offering, I am liking many of these newer offerings from Rogue...

2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Redish milk chocolate, creamy bone white head.

S - Touch of sour. Dusty hop notes. Very mild.

T - Malty bread notes and sour grapes. Dry dusty character. Bitter cranberries in the finish.

M - Very dry with a medium-light body.

D - Drinkable, but the mouthfeel and flavor aren't particularly great.

O - I'm a huge fan of Rogue beers but this one just didn't do it for me. The dryness really clawed at me, and there was something I didn't dig about about cranberry bitterness.

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Bomber pours a dark chestnut body with a medium offwhite head that lasts quite a while. Creamy lace sticks to the glass.

Aroma is very subdued. Malty caramel and a hint of tart cherries, nothing else.

Medium body and carbonation.

Taste is dominated by malty caramel that borders on chewy, imparting a lasting sweetness. No significant hop presence but for an earthy bittering balance. Cherry tartness is very subtle, not lending enough character for this to be called a fruit beer. Yeast presence is more Pacman than Belgian, making it hard for me to think of this as a dubbel. A hint of cocoa adds some interest midway through but quickly fades. No hint of alcohol.

Not bad, but not one I would revisit. Not sure what Rogue was aiming for with this one.

2.54/5  rDev -24.6%

I really wanted to like this beer. The beer was served chilled in wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a murky mahogany coloration. The head is a thin white coloration that rapidly resolves.

Smell: I had high hopes based on the aroma. Sweet tart and sour cherries great my nose. A pleasant musty clove aroma lurks in the background.

Taste: Taste is a major let down. Musty tart cherries and little else. In short this beer is bland! No off flavors just nothing really going on.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. Light carbonation really seems to make the beer go a bit more limp. Drinking the beer was a chore and after about 3/4 of a glass I became too bored to finish.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a red toned amber with a small white head that quickly fades into a small cap. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is caramel, tart cherries, freshly baked bread, and a dash of cocoa powder.
Taste is of the aromas with a pronunced cherry flavor that takes over with a sweet tart candy flavor in there.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet, mildly tart in the finish, semi-dry.

4.6/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presented in a 22oz brown bottle. Pours a really nice red, great clarity, especially for being bottle conditioned. Nice persistent head lasts till the glass is empty. The aroma is nice and bready with a spicy "Belgian" character and noticable cherry notes. The yeasty Begian character is lovely, followed by a great bready malt, the entire soaked in sweet/tart cherry. The cherry flavor delightfully lingers into oblivion. Both the yeast and cherry open up in the glass after a few minutes as the beer goes from slightly sweet to dry. Over all it's a wonderful departure from all the same old pale/brown/porter/stout/ambers and manages to not taste just like every other Rogue.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%

Received this one as a Christmas gift, which is the only reason I am trying it, as I would not have bought it for myself. Pours a hazy reddish brown color with a finger of medium tan head. Aromas of tart cherries, brown sugar and yeast. On the palate, lightly tart and thin, with some decent cherry flavor. Not bad, but nothing special.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

Deep dark cherry tinted brown body with a hint of tannish pink tinted head forming thick and dwindling even quicker thin speckled lacing surrounds the sides of my glass. Aroma has a tart cherry deep roasted malt combo going on. The tart cherries rule this brew, but especially in the nose. Strong tart cherry nose this doesn't smell like a typical dubbel, and after tasting it I would call it a weak sour ale. Flavor is full on tart cherries with touch of powdered spicy yeast noted and sliced bread. Malts don't bring out much sweetness that can be detected amongst the earthy sour yet sweet Montmorency cherries added. Finishes bone dry with hints of lactic acid, quite enjoyable even seems like there's a hint of oak barrel aging. I'm not sure if this one has that going for it but with the malts and the cherries I'm getting that vibe. Mouthfeel is medium bodied evenly carbonated nothing cloying on the palate, leaves me feeling good. I like the tart/sour drying finish between each sip, burps send alcohol and a fruit tartness up your nares that just makes me like the beer that much more. Overall drinkability I'm in cruise control, this one satisfies me in a couple ways cherry fruit/tartness/hints of bitter slightly spiced yeast components and gives me the vibe that it's been barrel aged whether or not it has I don't really care. I like the overall experience.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks to barzigkin for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the toffee and cherries, but other than that, I don't get anything.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of cherries, roasted malt and chocolate. Fairly straightforward, but still drinkable and enjoyable.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Glad I got to try this one.

2.37/5  rDev -29.7%

poured an amber reddish color with ruby highlights that had a thin head and almost no lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was not very appealing consisting of plastic notes and very little cherry character. It honeslty semmed like it was fermented in plastic vats and also had no belgian yeast notes. The taste was pretty big on plastic as well with some cherry chracter and slight tart qualities. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, mild fruity, and slight tart finish. It definitely was a disaster for the tasting. Yo bobby...sorry I brought this shit to your tasting.

1.52/5  rDev -54.9%

A: The pour is an amber color with a thin tan head.

S: The nose is not a good start to this beer. Smells like plastic and urinal cake. Mmm port-o-potty. Also some alcohol, puke, and sulfur. Man, what a winner.

T: A slight improvement on the flavor, but really bad, still. A bit of sweet caramel, cough syrup, a touch of sour cherries, and wood give this some redeeming flavors. But, there's still a lot of puke, alcohol, and plastic.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium carbonation.

D: Oh goodness. This was just awful. In no way would I want to drink this beer again.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Brown in color with some red and orange highlighting. Head is soft, but tight and leaves spotted lace. I've seen much better decoration, but no need to quibble with a solid burnished body like this. Nose is a bit too faint, with brown rice and a hint of phenolic clove. The yeast notes and a hint of cherry emerge as the glass heats up.

Decent mixing of the cherry notes into the dubbel maltiness. Not really sweet enough for the style, but that's mostly fine by me. However, the abrupt finish of the flavor isn't fine, and what is a fairly well-brewed beer is otherwise marred by such a faint output of taste sensation. The sour cherry notes are present, and liven up the fairly mundane and musty brown malts.

Solid appearance, mouthfeel, and really drinkability. However, part of drinkability for me is whether I want another one, and that is a resounding no thanks.

2.56/5  rDev -24%

Ha ha, accidentally saw the BA average rating for this ale before reviewing it myself. Too funny. Anyway...Pours a tasty-looking red, with hints of amber. Slightly cloudy, so that's a good sign. A nice, two fingers of soda-like head forms, breaches, and crashes back into the liquid. Some foam remains, but it is just a whisper...No real lacing to speak of. Aromas are very faint in this and a bit hard to pin. Some Belgian funky-funk. Some fruit, like apple and, obviously, cherry. Not much else though. A tad disappointing. Flavor is crisp, tart and vibrant. Right upfront you get a bit of leathery, wine-like tannin. The flavor is kind of a mish-mash, and I can't pick anything cleanly out. I get some grapefruit peel. I'm having a real difficult time with this ale. Like it's not quite finished. Lots of tartness, an off bitterness in the finish (i.e. the grapefuit peel), and not much else. No real malt or hops characteristics at all. Since they are touting their homegrown hops and malt, this is disappointing. At $5.49/bomber, it's near the expensive side of middling, also. I would say avoid this beer, but it is quite unique, although not sure what they are trying to accomplish with it.

What I like most: The nice pour and unique qualities.

What I like least: The lack of identity in the ale as a whole.

Verdict: Try a sip of someone's if you see it, but it's not very good.

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Creek Ale from Rogue Ales