Irish Style Lager - Rogue Ales

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jon on 09-28-2002

7 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Pale, Crystal -15, Wheat & Acidulated Malts.
Hops: Sterling.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
9.8º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Irish Style Lager Alström Bros
2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a 2" white head with medium life. The body is a clear straw yellow color which would pass for standard BMC lager. There's almost no smell at all, even after it fully warmed. The taste although consistent with BMC lagers is a little sweeter and yeastier. The body is much creamier than average. And it's capped off with a standard crisp lager finish.

On my last beer run I took a flyer on this brew. Thanks to participating in BA, I seem to be trying styles I haven't had in ages. That said, this is probably the third lager style beer I've had as of late. My score is indicative of my particular taste slant - I prefer a thicker malty lager.

A - golden straw colored. Actually could see my tv through the brew clearly. kinda fun.
S - light on the trademark lager yeast smell. hint of hops and grain.
T - Very lightly lager yeast, background tastes of hops, green apple and grain. Nothing really prominent through the taste experience, rather this brew seems to be intended as a compliment to a pub food experience or dinner.
M - Very light. can't say it enough.
D - easy to drink, low alcohol content so even at a 22oz bomber serving size it doesn't overwhelm.

Light golden pour with a big fluffy white head. Smell is of light malt, tart apple juice like yeast. Very, very light bodied, with a somewhat tart flavor of apples, light breadiness, and pale lager like malt. Easy drinking, smooth with a quick, clean finish with basically no detectable bitterness, but nothing to write home about.
If you have to pay $5.50 a bomber for it where you live too, I'd wait for a day when your girlfriend is being really generous and decides to buy it for you, as I did, because I can think of many better beers for the price. (but thank you honey)

Appearance: light gold, slightly hazy. no real head to speak of with light carbonation
Smell: nothing distinctive
Taste: very light with a slight bitter finish. tasted very mainstream if that is an valid descriptive. I am guilty here of comparing it to Harp which has a bigger flavor.

Overall a very average beer, the best that I can say is that there wasn't anything offensive about it. A little disappointing since I expected more from Rogue, but overall very drinkable.

Poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. What can I say, I guess I think this was just an average beer by the way I scored it. The beer was a noce gold color with a decent head. The beer tasted fresh with a bit of a bite at first taste. Fair lacing also. I guess I would buy again but only if there was not much of a choice of beer.

Irish Style Lager from Rogue Ales