Kells Irish Style Lager - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

7 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Pale, Crystal -15, Wheat & Acidulated Malts.
Hops: Sterling.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
9.8º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Jon on 09-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kells Irish Style Lager Alström Bros

GRG1313, Mar 01, 2014

Bottle: Poured a clear bright golden color lager with large foamy head with average retention and some lacing. Aroma of light malt with no discernable hops. Taste is also dominated by some lightly sweet hops with no easily detectable adjunct. Body is quite lively with some good carbonation. Easily drinkable but not very complex or enjoyable for that matter.

Phyl21ca, Mar 13, 2009

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

A-Murky golden color,no head and no retention also had a little bit of sediment in the beer.Didnt mind that though.

T-Typical lager taste,malty and sweet.Little burning in the taste.

S-Sweet and fruity

M-Not harsh or strong tasting what so ever.I dont know if you would put this in the same catagory as a Yuengling Lager but I think Yuengling is way better.This is one of the Rogues I didnt care for.

D-Not bad I would reccomend this to a lager drinker, but I wouldnt go out of my way to drink it again.Ive had better lagers.

MmmIPA, Aug 23, 2006

bismarksays, Jan 15, 2013

Tyrawlings, Feb 11, 2012

On my last beer run I took a flyer on this brew. Thanks to participating in BA, I seem to be trying styles I haven't had in ages. That said, this is probably the third lager style beer I've had as of late. My score is indicative of my particular taste slant - I prefer a thicker malty lager.

A - golden straw colored. Actually could see my tv through the brew clearly. kinda fun.
S - light on the trademark lager yeast smell. hint of hops and grain.
T - Very lightly lager yeast, background tastes of hops, green apple and grain. Nothing really prominent through the taste experience, rather this brew seems to be intended as a compliment to a pub food experience or dinner.
M - Very light. can't say it enough.
D - easy to drink, low alcohol content so even at a 22oz bomber serving size it doesn't overwhelm.

barleywinebrewer, Mar 16, 2006

crowbar540, Jan 05, 2014

zbkai189, Dec 27, 2013

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012

malfunxion, Aug 28, 2014

Light golden pour with a big fluffy white head. Smell is of light malt, tart apple juice like yeast. Very, very light bodied, with a somewhat tart flavor of apples, light breadiness, and pale lager like malt. Easy drinking, smooth with a quick, clean finish with basically no detectable bitterness, but nothing to write home about.
If you have to pay $5.50 a bomber for it where you live too, I'd wait for a day when your girlfriend is being really generous and decides to buy it for you, as I did, because I can think of many better beers for the price. (but thank you honey)

JDV, Feb 24, 2008

KevChiTown, Aug 13, 2014

Appearance: light gold, slightly hazy. no real head to speak of with light carbonation
Smell: nothing distinctive
Taste: very light with a slight bitter finish. tasted very mainstream if that is an valid descriptive. I am guilty here of comparing it to Harp which has a bigger flavor.

Overall a very average beer, the best that I can say is that there wasn't anything offensive about it. A little disappointing since I expected more from Rogue, but overall very drinkable.

ScarletLady, May 25, 2006

jharkins07, Feb 17, 2012

CaptainPancakes, Jan 31, 2013

rob99er, Jan 08, 2012

tizride, Jun 30, 2012

Poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. What can I say, I guess I think this was just an average beer by the way I scored it. The beer was a noce gold color with a decent head. The beer tasted fresh with a bit of a bite at first taste. Fair lacing also. I guess I would buy again but only if there was not much of a choice of beer.

Minkybut, Apr 07, 2007