Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros

dandmc24, Jan 26, 2012

superdoopersauce, Dec 10, 2013

largemouthdmb, Nov 10, 2012

Paul_Apsley, May 30, 2013

FLBEERGUY25, Jun 12, 2012

gwiedman1, Apr 13, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber topped with a two finger pillowy white head. Leaves webs of lacing.
Great robust aroma, citrus, juniper, wood, herbs and toffee.
Fruity, grapefruit, herbs, very leafy, juniper, some caramel under all the hops, biscuit malt.
Medium to full bodied, just a great and interesting take on the APA.

mschofield, Sep 17, 2004

Nunya, Sep 29, 2013

mysteriousmax, Dec 21, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

tavernjef, Jun 04, 2004

mnminear, Nov 20, 2012

PhineasGage, Jan 27, 2012

IAmHollywood13, Apr 02, 2014

Le_HopHead, Jan 05, 2014

brheuer, Mar 17, 2013
4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

Steff_Wantz, Dec 05, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

On tap at New World Brewery, Ybor City, FL.

This is perhaps my favorite herb/spiced beer with high marks probably because of the IPA underpinnings (rather than a belgian style or some other malt dominant style.)

A nice citrus-tart hop aroma actually gave me pause: how would herbs go with citrus notes? I shouldn't have worried. I never expected such a mild "judicious" addition of spice to a dominating IPA. An addition of character, but not a competing flavor, the juniper falls into the nice blend of flavors. There's a swell dry finish that also contains some citrus and grassy notes. All beers should be this complex and yet so well blended.

Highly recommended.

ecoboy, Dec 03, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

Bottle – Poured a yellow brew with a nice large head with standard retention. Aroma is really sweet with nice touché of hops and malts coming out of my glass. Taste is incredible with the usual sweetness and refreshing taste of a pale ale but with added bonus of juniper berries. I love the taste of gin and I think I find here again but without the strong alcohol content. Another truly great beer from Rogue and one underrated beer in my own opinion.

Phyl21ca, Mar 22, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out a nice light tan color, good head, good lacing. It has a great scent and taste, a nice crisp, hoppy aroma and taste with great hints of juniper. Although it's listed as an herbed/spice beer, it reminds me partially of a fruited wheat beer, except it's a great pale ale in place of the wheat beer. It goes down quite easily, I could drink one or two all on my own quite easily.

JamesS, Nov 06, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy gold a thinnish head that leaves good lace swathes. The aroma is a very pleasant mix of fruit (juniper berries?) perfumey malt and some vibrant aroma hops. I can also detect the dry estery Rogue yeast in the nose.

The taste starts with a blend of flavor and bittering hops. Thick and complex malt character comes through in the middle. Theres a great fruityness, partly like berries and partly like yeast esters. There are some mild green tea flavors as well. The finish is nicely bitter and fruity. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

This is one great Pale Ale with plenty of hop flavor and an incredibly complex malt profile. Excellent stuff.

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 19, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one and walked away, as such I can't rightly comment on the head though it appears to have been bone white in color. Speaking of color this ale is pale golden with a slight orange hue. This is a clear beer with just a slight haze.

Nose is very hoppy, floral and a bit piny or junipery if you will. The grain in this beer is tasty and not hidden behind the hops or juniper. There is a lot of nose there and it is pleasing.

Taste of this beer is like a well hopped Pale or a lighter IPA. There is a tang of citric hop, a bit of bite from the juniper and a overall great balance.

Body pf this beer is full and nearly creamy. Rogue kicks ass and this is another stellar beer. I love how they pull off a full body without having odd aftertaste and the like.

Drinkability is great and I will drink more. I only wish Rogue beers were back at the 8.99 they used to be...ah well.

Slainte

meeekyh, Mar 21, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +22.7%

Bomber into a nonic.

Appearance, pale golden, clear and topped with a just off white head. Not particularly attractive to me, but well within the appearance guidelines for the style, so there you go.

Aroma is cracked black pepper, and a bit of tarragon or fennel coolness, which I can only assume is the juniper. Smells quite nice actually.

Malt forward, crusty bread-like with a good amount of lemon in the foreground also. Hop bitterness is there, but restrained as it should be in a pale ale. Pine and again with the cool slight mintyness of fennel or tarragon. Really, a lot better than I expected. Very balanced and a lot of flavor, which I wasn't expecting after the appearance.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but again this is perfectly in line with pale ales. Refreshing and quaffable.

Overall, I'm super impressed by this beer. I wasn't expecting this to be so good, but it's really a nice balanced beer. I'm thinking of making a beurre blanc or a mussel pan sauce with this to see if the lemon flavor comes out more, and what that minty aspect does also. Great beer! Cheers!

dancinwillie, May 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I place myself squarely in the former category. Crystal clear, and golden in color, this beer sports the typical huge Rogue pillowy head, and leaves a nice lace down the side. The aroma is of floral hops and a bit spicy. Flavor starts off with a smooth malty body which soon develops a pleasant fruitiness from the juniper berries. Slightly acidic with a bit of a hop bite at the end, but a bit of honey sweetness kicks in to make this an incredibly well-balanced beer. Crisp and well-carbonated, but with just enough complexity to make this a great session beer for genuine beer lovers.

mzwolinski, Jan 27, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice golden yellow color,with 1 finger head.

S: Citrus hops. With a light bready hint.

T: A very good malty flavor with hints of citrus.the back end is a little dry and bitter.

M: Slighty dry but nice and light

O: Not like any other pale ale I've ever had. It has a unique taste that is very pleasing.I would for sure drink this again if it comes around.

Bucknutty24, Jul 27, 2011