Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros

Tastes like a mediocre ale with a shot of mediocre gin tipped into it. Say no more.

diablo14, Sep 09, 2014

hozersr, Sep 06, 2014

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -38.2%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

rickyleepotts, Sep 24, 2012

WoodburyMN, Jan 10, 2013

icehawk, Aug 10, 2013

DarthGuitarHero, Mar 06, 2014

SoupKitchenBeerSnob, Apr 13, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy dark yellow with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a light dusting and collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet honey and bready malts with a little spice (juniper?). Not much to smell as it warms.

The flavor is a little honey sweetness in the background with a medium harsh bitterness that dominates. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very watery texture that washes out the flavor.

Overall, an OK pale. It's pretty bitter, but no real interesting flavors and it's very watery.

Beaver13, Aug 12, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -33%

$5.49 for a bomber. Brewed with Northwest Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, Maier Munich, C15 malts. Hopped with Styrian Goldings and Amarillo. Flavored with Juniper berries.

OG=13 plato. 34 IBU. 77 AA. 3.2 Lovibond.

Pours out to a chill-hazed peach, forming a rocky pale yellow head with very good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is odd...there is a definite soapiness imparted by the juniper, but aside from that, there is a definite ruddiness and very strong cardboard smell. Not impressed at all. The mouthfeel is lively, and thankfully not oxidized with a medium body. The taste starts off with some floral hops, then a brief flash of pale malts, then overpowered by a plain chemical bitterness and finishes with damp musty cardboard and dank forest soil. Bitterness is medium strong and somewhat harsh.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you this was made with juniper, which is a contrast to Rogue's otherwise genuine knack for bringing out the best flavors when using adjunctive ingredients (chocolate, chamomile, chipotle peppers). Ultimately, this beer is a total disappointment, just like the last few Rogue's I've had. Definitely not recommended.

Mitchster, Jul 31, 2006

BubalooBrewMaster, Dec 17, 2013

mdevonshire, Jan 31, 2012

PieOhMy, Mar 05, 2013

BigGold, Feb 26, 2014

brandoman63, Nov 29, 2011

IPAIsaac, Jun 22, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours foggy yellow orange with quite a bit of head that recedes fairly quickly. Citrucy aroma that fades fairly quickly. Taste? Uhhmm... its bitter. A bit grainy and bready in the end before more bitterness puts a stop to all that. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, but not too bad.

Sixpack595, Dec 24, 2003

BeerGod27, Dec 10, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

I was disappointed in this beer. I did not know what to expect from the juniper berries, but what I really did not expect was the disappearance of the hops. This does not taste like a Northwest Pale Ale to me. I am not a person who is stingy on style guidelines.

There is very little balance between the malt and hops. Almost no hop aroma is present. The beer is clean but dull. I guess that I was expecting a more robust beer from Rogue.

barrelman, Mar 26, 2006

Hoolihan, Feb 10, 2012

facundoCNB, Jan 11, 2012

NvMyBeer, Dec 23, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Had on tap at the Rogue event at Novare Res.
The color is pale with a slight golden color. The head forms and dissipates to the glasses edge.

The aroma is pale malts through out. No juniper, where is the juniper.

The taste is a pale ale slight malts up front, biscuit with a slight drying finish. The taste of juniper comes in but it is very light.

bishopdc0, Aug 22, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a two-finger foamy head. A bit of lacing.

S: The bouquet is predominantly of garden vegetables.

T: Surprisingly malty and sweet for a "pale ale". There is very little hop presence in any form, and very slight piney flavor from the juniper, although I find that I have to search for it to find it, and I probabl;y wouldn't even notice if not for the name of the beer. The taste isn't bad, per se, but not what it should be.

M: Just under medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I was looking foward to this one, hoping that the juniper would add a unique complexity to the beer. Nope. Lots of better pale ales, and lots of better beers.

klewis, Jul 05, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Not impressed at all. The initial taste is barely detectable sweetness, followed by a metallic hop burn, ending with a spicy juniper berry burst. Not too enjoyable - almost like this ale started out as a good idea, but ended up loaded with probelms. I'm not going to waste another 5 bucks on this one.

cerveza5150, Nov 28, 2007