Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
jophish17

Georgia

12-24-2011 08:08:46 | More by jophish17
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

09-24-2012 04:45:24 | More by rickyleepotts

04-13-2014 19:32:03 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
Beaver13

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -34.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy dark yellow with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a light dusting and collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet honey and bready malts with a little spice (juniper?). Not much to smell as it warms.

The flavor is a little honey sweetness in the background with a medium harsh bitterness that dominates. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very watery texture that washes out the flavor.

Overall, an OK pale. It's pretty bitter, but no real interesting flavors and it's very watery.

08-12-2010 02:48:47 | More by Beaver13
Mitchster

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

$5.49 for a bomber. Brewed with Northwest Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, Maier Munich, C15 malts. Hopped with Styrian Goldings and Amarillo. Flavored with Juniper berries.

OG=13 plato. 34 IBU. 77 AA. 3.2 Lovibond.

Pours out to a chill-hazed peach, forming a rocky pale yellow head with very good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is odd...there is a definite soapiness imparted by the juniper, but aside from that, there is a definite ruddiness and very strong cardboard smell. Not impressed at all. The mouthfeel is lively, and thankfully not oxidized with a medium body. The taste starts off with some floral hops, then a brief flash of pale malts, then overpowered by a plain chemical bitterness and finishes with damp musty cardboard and dank forest soil. Bitterness is medium strong and somewhat harsh.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you this was made with juniper, which is a contrast to Rogue's otherwise genuine knack for bringing out the best flavors when using adjunctive ingredients (chocolate, chamomile, chipotle peppers). Ultimately, this beer is a total disappointment, just like the last few Rogue's I've had. Definitely not recommended.

07-31-2006 18:25:53 | More by Mitchster

IPAIsaac

06-22-2013 00:31:00 | More by IPAIsaac
Sixpack595

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours foggy yellow orange with quite a bit of head that recedes fairly quickly. Citrucy aroma that fades fairly quickly. Taste? Uhhmm... its bitter. A bit grainy and bready in the end before more bitterness puts a stop to all that. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, but not too bad.

12-24-2003 06:39:49 | More by Sixpack595
BeerGod27

South Carolina

12-10-2013 21:39:58 | More by BeerGod27
barrelman

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

I was disappointed in this beer. I did not know what to expect from the juniper berries, but what I really did not expect was the disappearance of the hops. This does not taste like a Northwest Pale Ale to me. I am not a person who is stingy on style guidelines.

There is very little balance between the malt and hops. Almost no hop aroma is present. The beer is clean but dull. I guess that I was expecting a more robust beer from Rogue.

03-26-2006 01:06:09 | More by barrelman

12-23-2011 00:43:10 | More by NvMyBeer
bishopdc0

Maine

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Had on tap at the Rogue event at Novare Res.
The color is pale with a slight golden color. The head forms and dissipates to the glasses edge.

The aroma is pale malts through out. No juniper, where is the juniper.

The taste is a pale ale slight malts up front, biscuit with a slight drying finish. The taste of juniper comes in but it is very light.

08-22-2011 00:02:18 | More by bishopdc0
klewis

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a two-finger foamy head. A bit of lacing.

S: The bouquet is predominantly of garden vegetables.

T: Surprisingly malty and sweet for a "pale ale". There is very little hop presence in any form, and very slight piney flavor from the juniper, although I find that I have to search for it to find it, and I probabl;y wouldn't even notice if not for the name of the beer. The taste isn't bad, per se, but not what it should be.

M: Just under medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I was looking foward to this one, hoping that the juniper would add a unique complexity to the beer. Nope. Lots of better pale ales, and lots of better beers.

07-05-2006 01:33:28 | More by klewis
cerveza5150

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Not impressed at all. The initial taste is barely detectable sweetness, followed by a metallic hop burn, ending with a spicy juniper berry burst. Not too enjoyable - almost like this ale started out as a good idea, but ended up loaded with probelms. I'm not going to waste another 5 bucks on this one.

11-28-2007 03:01:19 | More by cerveza5150
LeRose

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured coppery, clear, obviously fizzy. Thick soapy head that persisted for some time. ARoma - didn't get much there. Very light citrus, no juniper, maybe a little malty. VERY bitter on the taste - not citrus, and no juniper initially. A little sweetness, some malty notes but extremely bitter. Very dry at the finish, and then get some juniper/gin flavor. It was an OK beer to try, but not one I would go out of the way to find.

12-02-2012 00:06:36 | More by LeRose
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cool orange glow to the beer, looks like a nice ipa, not unlike their brutal bitter ipa. Smell wasn't really all that persuasive as juniper. More pine-esque, which might be my confusion of trees, or more likely, the hop profile standing out a bit.

Taste, like an English pale ale with some funky adjuncts (and not horse blanket funky). Other than the Amarillo hops, I think the hopping is kind of less than helpful or 'good'. The bitterness on this one is just weird. Like a combination of copper and plastic, definitely not juniper.

What is most disappointing about the mouthfeel is that the beer neither tastes like juniper, nor a pale ale. Its just some weird amalgamation of a beer that doesn't know where it is going, where its been or what is inside of it. Ultimately, it is less than average for a pale ale, a Rogue beer, or an herb/spice beer. Pass. I think I like Rogue generally more than the average beeradvocate, but definitely not this one. Hand me a chocolate stout instead please.

10-25-2012 23:56:28 | More by Beerandraiderfan