1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Juniper Pale AleJuniper Pale Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,117 | Reviews: 662 | Show All Ratings:
MoreThanWine

Poured a 2" head which took awhile but dissipated completely. Hazy straw yellow. Smell of malt. Taste was strong lager with a pretty crisp finish. They say juniper was used in the making and I'd kind of expected hints of gin in it but if the labelled hadn't said juniper I'd have never known.

01-28-2011 09:43:00 | More by MoreThanWine
brewerburgundy

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, thanks Rogue, no freshness dating on the bottle. I have had it for at least a month in the fridge, so it's not super fresh.

Clear, light end of gold beer with a very lovely white, rocky head. Lots of it on the pour, nice retention, lacing, and clumpiness.

I'm definitely thinking this is not too fresh judging by the aroma, or lack thereof. The hops seem to have mostly disappeared. There's a solid pale malt base, nice graininess, and a subtle, cooling herbal note. I'm really digging at the moment, but it's not like a fresh pale ale. Oh, and of course the Pacman yeast.

The taste is essentially as I described the aroma. The evergreen, cool herb is perhaps more distinct and the grainy malt is very hearty.

Nice, medium weight in the mouth. Despite the head, the carbonation is medium-low.

I don't feel like this is an ideally fresh sample, but I know it has been treated well (refrigerated). The Juniper isn't overwhelming at all, in fact, it seems barely there to me, but it's nice.

03-29-2013 23:03:52 | More by brewerburgundy
semihobo

Bomber with no date.

Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a turbulent sticky head that has great staying power.

Smell is piney hops (perhaps that is aided by the juniper?) with dry, crackery amber malt. The beer is cold, but the smell is still pretty subdued, developing a small off-note as it warmed.

Taste is pretty much a plain pale ale. Hops are split between bittering / flavor, malt is crisp. Pretty dry when cold, although it gets a little cloying as it warms. Nothing extreme going on. There is a hint of juniper on the finish but it is very subdued and is somewhat redundant with the piney hops... a little disappointing.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.

As a matter of personal taste I like my herbed / fruit / oddball beers a little over the top. This is a fine pale ale, but grading within the style, it loses points for juniper failure.

01-06-2008 04:34:38 | More by semihobo
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A - warm golden wheat with a slightly copper hue. Pours clear with a centimetre of head that quickly dissipates to a lacy thin rim. Occasional bubbles that aren't over powering. Best part of the beer is the warm glow of the colour.

S - Initial smell of lemon peels and grapefruit followed by a hoppy pine sap and a faint floral scent. Overall the smell is mild compared to other notable pale ales. Considering this is a juniper pale ale neither of us tasters could detect juniper on the nose.

M - Medium bodied, nice balance of carbonation.

T - Nice balance of hoppy bitters, flavours of citrus peels and pine sap. Bitters linger for a short stay on the tongue. Once again considering this is a juniper flavoured beer, the herbacous juniper flavour was hard to detect. As the beer warmed the bitters were more pronounced and the flavours developed. Starting drinking it at around 10 degrees, and warmed to approximately 15 - certainly more complex as the beer warmed.

O - While the flavours improved as the beer warmed, this beer was not memorable for either the flavour or the scent. I was looking forward to a herbaceous complex flavour or smell, but was left trying to finding it all the way through. While I didn't find the juniper anywhere - I find this easy to drink, but not something I'd reach for.

03-11-2012 07:35:50 | More by FondueVoodoo
HoppyHomo

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

12-07-2012 03:12:51 | More by HoppyHomo
dar482

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

I love the juniper in Taqueray, but this doesn’t have that. I went in hoping for strong spicy aroma and flavor, but it was just subdued. I would think it was a pilsner if I wasn’t reading the label.
However, even it has a bit more flavor than that, it really just cuts off the tongue really quickly. This helps the drinkability, but not what you expect from a "Juniper" Pale Ale. Not a great beer for me.

02-09-2013 20:33:22 | More by dar482
vette2006c5r

3.04/5  rDev -16%

Juniper pale ale pours a darker golden color with a small lacing head. There is a dry fruity aroma, with a sharp malt notes. The taste has a sharp and strong malty backbone, with some juniper flavors coming through near the end, finishes dry, which I like. Good flavors, good body, but cheap beer base. Overall its almost a good beer, I like the juniper flavors, but the cheap beer base really hurts this.

11-26-2013 00:55:43 | More by vette2006c5r
GbVDave

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a nice and cloudy, pale, hazy peach color. Lots of sticky lace in the glass.

S: Hard to get much of an aroma out of this one. Very mild toasted malt and a tiny pinch of juniper. Barely noticable. Not at all like a knock you on your ass gin smell.

T: Just slightly more juniper flavor than in the nose. Dry, toasted malt and a teeny amount of citrus-y hops.

M: Dry and crisp. Prickly on the tongue and, to me, just so-so.

D: I expected more from this Rogue beer, and sadly it didn't really deliver. It's a fair beer but it seemed rather bland.

05-23-2007 23:03:53 | More by GbVDave
jbsteiny

Hawaii

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Recently found a bunch of old reviews that I never typed up. This one was from a Rogue night at the Blind Tiger this past spring...

Orange-amber liquid with a nice off-white head. Smelled foresty & earthy with caramel malt. The juniper came out later, as it warmed, and I'm glad it was subtle. I like juniper in general, but there's a reason that gin bombs never caught on.

Unfortunately, I didn't think this beer really worked. The hop and the juniper seem to have created a perfect storm of astringent bitterness that even a Rogue's blend of malts could not overcome, I'm sad to say. I was disappointed by this one and wished I'd spent my money and sobriety on one of the other delectable brews available that night (like the dry-hopped Brutal Bitter... mmm....).

07-31-2007 02:21:51 | More by jbsteiny
mjd83goblue

22 oz bomber for $5.79. Poured into a pint glass

A: Refers to itself as "saffron colored". I'll buy that. Decent head.

S: This smells awful. A mix of sickly sweetness and stale macro crap. Ugh.

T: Decent hop flavor, finishing with a good deal of bitterness. Still too sweet, in my opinion. I don't get any juniper in this at all.

M: Fine

D: Pretty crisp, but a little sweet to have too much

Rogue has better stuff out there.

12-13-2007 03:12:25 | More by mjd83goblue
KiltedCulinarian

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Bartender served with a head that looked more like lacing. Dark olden in colour, and fairly clear. The Juniper flavour seemed to get lost in the excessive hoppinness early on. Not much malts, and it finished off a little disappointing to be honest. It did look and smell nice, if only the flavour had more resembled its appearance. Interesting, but nothing to write home about.

01-08-2008 17:27:42 | More by KiltedCulinarian
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Lightly hazy, pale golden body with a small white head.

Smell: Mild aroma with a vague biscuit character and notes of pine and citrus.

Taste: Slight dry, biscuity maltiness with a touch of caramel sweetness. Piney, citrus hop flavors with a medium amount of bitterness. The meager juniper flavor comes in right when the bitterness hits and is rather obscured by it. Heck, if the beer didn't have "juniper" in the name, you might miss it altogether. Light, lingering bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Maybe I need to lighten the fudge up, but unless the juniper berries ever decide to drop by, I say just skip this one.

01-10-2008 21:09:22 | More by ChainGangGuy
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly, leaving a good lace. Clear pale amber color. Slight juniper nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is juniper and hops, finish is hoppy and bitter. $1.80 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

01-13-2010 23:19:41 | More by jdhilt
9InchNails

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Cloudy gold body with a very smooth creamy white head. Decently carbonated with bubbles rushing upwards. Nice lacing throughout the glass.

Somewhat floral sweet smell with grain. Not really impressed.

Slight bitterness upfront, metallic taste. This is quite bland for a Rogue Brewery offering. This is not horrible but not good. As it sits for a little bit a taste of honey is noticeable.

Body is light feels a little too carbonated.

Drink ability isn't good. I'm really not impressed with the taste or the feel.

This beer is lacking almost everywhere. I don't think I'd bother with it again.

01-13-2011 06:49:42 | More by 9InchNails
tlazaroff

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Hazy honey color topped by a white head made of medium sized bubbles.

S: I can smell the juniper in this beer, which is interesting because I didn't know what to expect. I also get a slightly sweet bread aroma.

T: I can taste the juniper more than I can smell it. It has a slightly spicy flavor to it, along with that bready note I got from the smell. The finish carries the juniper. The bitterness is strange; it's not bitter at all, so the Juniper does balance out the sweet malt. Its a tad different.

M: Surprisingly smooth, but it is somewhat thin. Light bodied, but well carbonated.

D: Its quite drinkable, but would I actually want another? Well, it's better than a lot of other choices.

08-20-2011 17:01:21 | More by tlazaroff
NuclearDolphin

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler Glass

Appearance - Has a moderately hazy slightly dark colden color to it, with a little bit of carbonation bubbles popping up. Head pours at around a 1 finger width with an aggressive pour and has a alot of sticky lacing on the side, more so than I have seen in a while.

Smell - It's got a fairly sweet fruity smell to it along with a bready and malty scent. I'm also picking up some caramel and a slight piney hop smells in here too

Taste - Moderately fruity flavor to it, which I'm assuming is the juniper berries, along with some pretty hefty malty notes. I'm also picking up some slight bitter piney hop flavors in here too, giving it an almost grassy flavor. Overall, it's a pretty earthy tasting beer. Moderately dry aftertaste, consisting of that malty/grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel - Body is fairly light and the beer itself is pretty thin, and it's got a certain crisp & refeshing feel which I contribute to its ingredients and earthy makeup.

Overall - It's a alright beer, but it's really nothing too special even with juniper berries. It's refreshing, but that's all I can say of what is an otherwise average tasting beer

12-13-2011 01:39:14 | More by NuclearDolphin
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

A clean light amber/orange beer. Has a big foamy white head and some lace. There is a very interesting cereal grain aroma with hints of corn in the background. Not what I expected from "juniper". as it warms there is a light floral character in the background. There is a creamy character to the mouthfeel. The flavor is mostly a cereal grain maltiness with a light floral bitterness on the finish.

02-01-2006 00:15:44 | More by ybnorml
hoffman

Nebraska

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber Straw color, I guess you could say saffron. Pours up with a nice distinct head. A decent looking brew. I had expected a vibrant aroma from this one, with the name juniper pale ale and the greenery laden bottle. Instead I get a watery mix of mollases honey and....pennies...metallic in the back with some grains as well. The taste is decent light fruits in the front with some grainy notes and a lot of alchohol in the finish....more than is expected in a sub 6% easy drinking brew. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and not supported with enough body. Overall a drinkable brew...but I can drink better, more affordable bottles from Rouge and other outlets before this one.

08-03-2006 01:20:10 | More by hoffman
tone77

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some berries. Taste is of sour berries with hops, not bad but nothing great. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent but unspectacular beer.

03-04-2010 15:21:23 | More by tone77
SaCkErZ9

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Of all of the Rogue offerings I have had so far, this is my least favorite. Although I love the Pacman yeast, that alone wouldnt save this beer.
A nice head formed on the top but was quickly evaporated into nothing.
The only thing I know about junipers is that it is a prevalent ingredient in gins; Bombay sapphire being my favorite. I couldnt detect any juniper or gin smell from the beverage. With no juniper aroma, how could it be called a juniper ale?
The taste was that of a typical pale ale. No juniper, but a nice hop flavor and a nice yeast flavor. No matter what I do, I cant help but like the Rogue yeast flavor, and it always stands out to me.
Average mouthfeel and a pleasant drinkability. May try this once more but would most likely go for another Rogue offering.

08-24-2005 01:02:25 | More by SaCkErZ9
nvsblman

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Perfectly clear copper with a light white head. Not much aroma really, just some light grassy hops with a hint of sweetness. Lightly sweet flavor with a crisp hop finish. Slightly dry with a medium mouthfeel. Pretty refreshing, just nothing too exciting.

01-25-2006 03:07:27 | More by nvsblman
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a pale golden color with slight haze, modest head, but still some residual lacing. Not all that appetizing. Nose has a mixed citrus aroma, with a faint resemblance of cantaloupe rind. On the palate there's a good dose of malt with mixed tropical fruits, and some edgy bitterness. Nothing much to get excited about.

05-22-2010 02:56:05 | More by yemenmocha
vfgccp

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Light golden honey, think creamy head.

S - Sweet brioche, touch of pine.

T - Super bitter opening. Bring pine resin, lightly waxy mid profile. Oak and juniper finish.

M - Light body with a booze stringency.

D - Great hop character but the bitterness slows you way down.

01-01-2011 20:21:04 | More by vfgccp
GarthDanielson

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. The beer pours a cloudy orange-gold color with a sparse, foamy head about half an inch on pour that disappears as I write this. Not sure if I was expecting a nose full of gin smells, but I am pleasantly surprised by the subtle aromas; flowery and a hint of hops. The juniper absolutely comes through on the taste, and actually overpowers any taste of hops. It has a weird dynamic of being flowery and sour at the same time, and that doesn't necessarily blend all that well together. There is also a note of roasted barley somewhere deep down in the taste. The beer is dry and a bit harsh in mouth, with a sour aftertaste. Rough on the finish, this might be a tough bomber to polish off.

01-11-2011 01:25:48 | More by GarthDanielson
shand

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a mug.

This is a great looking pale. It pours a pale straw color with two fingers of fluffy head that retain and lace very, very well. The smell is a little closer to average, however. Grains, malts, and fruits dominate the nose. There's a distinct lack of hops here for something billing itself as a pale ale. If I really stick my nose into it, I can get a little bit of a hop sharpness. The taste is also basically average. The taste is also below par. It's actually just pretty bland. The biggest taste here is the berry sweetness. I can't really pinpoint it as juniper, though. There's also a bit of a floral aspect to the taste, and some smooth malts on the backend. Hops? Not here. But really, the dominating flavor is the "free range coastal waters". Disappointing.

The mouthfeel is pretty solid though, it's on the lighter side and satisfyingly carbonated. The drinkability is also pretty high, at the very least this still remains somewhat enjoyable and easy to drink. A disappointing beer from Rogue. I can't really call it a bad beer, it just lacks flavors. An amped up formula here would be appreciated.

01-15-2011 02:37:05 | More by shand