Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,276 | Reviews: 674
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Copper colored brew, mostly clear, with a head of white foam that jumps up a couple of inches.

Earthy hop with a dextrin depth, fruity aroma which I'll assume to be the juniper berries.

Flavor is crisp and fairly clean. Hops are a decent presence, grassy and herbal but fairly prominent for those characteristics. Malt is pale, but the depth of the flavor, especially in the finish, comes from the dry juniper taste. Dextrin, sea side, oyster cracker finish.

Strange brew, not unlike other coastal brews except this one showcases Northwest hops that stand up to any lightly heated malt. Interesting ale, may come back to it in a pinch.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours with one finger thick head of white color that withers off. Decent lacing. Copperish amber color. Good number of bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of malt, some weird weed (may be juniper berries as they say) and some hops which are way suppressed.

Taste: Very much the same as nose. Good balance with flavor moving towards that unknown taste. I personally have not taste juniper or no what it is. Good dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Just a tad perceived bitterness.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Typical bitterness and astringency but not so dominant.

Good beer. Not to my liking.

Style Rate: Herb/spiced beer he he :) 3.5 Not correct as i don't know what juniper is, just that it is some kind of berry.

Personal rate: 3.5

I wish it were more intoxicating.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm a big fan of Rogue Beers. Great product, great packaging, great marketing. I also love juniper in gin and the smell of pine trees, so this beer should be a match made in heaven.

This Rogue pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a big, bubbly head. Lots of nice lacing.

Surprisingly there isn't a ton of juniper on the nose. It's like if you took a handful of spicy grapefruit, melted one caramel on it and then ground up a couple of those spiky things from a pine cone.

This beer tastes a lot like it smells. Maybe a touch more pine on the palate than the nose. Not blowing me away.

Mouthfeel is good. Thicker than I expected and a long lasting finish that's satisfying.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega inRiverside, CA., December 2008. Price not recorded.

Pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a nice fluffy head that has pretty good (but not great) retention. Lots of stickage.

Aroma is vaguely sweet, perfumy, and gentle. Citrus, wildflowers, and a bit of pine forest. The flavor, however, is much sharper, richer, and powerful- pine trees and juniper galore cancel out anything else that may be going on. Don't get me wrong- still tasty, but definitely a one-note beer.

Drinkability suffers- its tastes good, but I wouldn't want a lot of this at one sitting.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy, yellowish-gold color. Tons of carbonation buttles rising throughout the glass. A 3 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly leaving decent lacing.

Initially, the aroma is redolent of hops, but the smell of honey-like malt soon arises and eventually predominates.

The first taste impression is of honey. soon balanced nicely by a hoppy bitterness and a hint of juniper.

Medium mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy, again reminiscent of honey. Very peppery carbonation. Smooth and silky.

A good drinker. Very pleasant.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a straw color with a 2-finger yellowish head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is made up of yeast, amarillo and crystal hops--piney and floral. The taste is piney and flowery hops with juniper berries. Quite bitter. Medicinal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, light to medium-bodied.

This is fair in the drinkability area. The aftertaste is a little medicinal and if you don't like juniper berries, it's not for you. The hops make it worthwhile.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

not one of rogue's best, yet still a relatively good brew. pours a light amber/orange colour that is slighly hazy, but has a nice frothy/chunky head to it. i was quite surprised to see this from this type of beer. the smell is hoppy and a bit citrusy, with a sweet berry-ness dominating. the taste echoes the smell, the the hops are more balanced with the sweetness than in the smell. an easy drinking brew that i'd certainly try again, but would rather just about any other rogue beverage that i've tried thusfar over this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is slightly hazy light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that gradually died down, consistently leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel and pale malts in the nose along with some hints of juniper.
T: Flavors of pale malts are present in the taste, along with notes of juniper berries—these particularly stand out and linger in the finish. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a solid and drinkable pale ale; the addition of juniper berries definitely makes the taste more interesting.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 650 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pale golden with a hint of orange. Very thin white head quickly dissipates.
S: Lots of hop and spice. Hint of juniper...not overpowering...if anything was expecting more.
T: Nice spice and hops...again, hint of juniper, but more in the background. Fairly representative of aroma.
M: Very crisp and clean. Nice smooth mouthfeel.
D: A nice twist on a pale ale. I prefer darker brews, but for a pale ale, this was a pleasant surprise. The juniper played nicely in the background...well balanced. And I'm not sure you can get much more drinkable...excellent sessionability.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Look: Golden with a thick creamy head

Aroma: Soft floral aroma with light hops

Taste: Creamy palate with fresh almost astringent green hops

Found this ale to be full of promise on the aroma but somewhat disappointing in the taste with the astringency of the hops removing any hope of a rewarding complex and floral taste. Overall an ok beer but for sessionability it is best to followe it with something slightly more balanced.

Poured into 7/6/09

A - Deep, hazy gold color. Head settles to about ¼ in. Patchy lacing.

S - Subtle nose. Juniper with faint malt notes. Juicy smell.

T - Juniper is noticeable, but not overpowering. Slight hop twinge mingles with a restrained malt character. Mild bitterness lingers.

M - Not particularly carbonated. The beer moves smoothly & is easy on the palate. It has a bit of bite when cold, but mellows as it warms. Dry finish.

D - I liked this one. As the juniper berries don't overpower the beer, it is pretty balanced brew throughout. It wasn't particularly fascinating, but by no means offensive. I found myself swilling it quite hastily.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a golden yellow color with meidum thick white head that lingered well and left okay lacing. Had this on tap at Taco Mac while eating spicy foods, so it was difficult to pick out any outstanding nose or taste. Mouthfeel was a bit tnagy, yet offset slightly by malty sweetness.

This is a smooth drinking, full-bodied beer that goes rounds to a nice finish, and would make an excellent session beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: light orange hue with a thin finger of rapidly-dissipating ivory foam head. Just a touch of haze; overall, not too bad.

Smell: slightly sweet caramel malt aroma with an earthy herbiness. I suppose this is the juniper, although I can't readily identify it as such. It reminds me a little bit of heather-seasoned beers. Not bad if you like earthy stuff.

Taste: slightly sweet, slightly dry caramel malt flavors with citrusy hops and an evergreen flavor. I think the juniper is rather nice here, but again, it's more of a general herbiness. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation. There's a good creaminess here.

Drinkability: quite a refreshing and quaffable beverage. The overall impression is greater than the sum of its parts.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Bright gold with a nice frothy head. Head settled to just a sliver leaving plenty of lace.

S: Light hops with a hint of citrus and malt.

T: Pale malt, light hoppiness. Not much juniper, which was a bit of a disappointment.

M: Clean, crisp and smooth.

D: Easy to drink. I just wish that there was more juniper. Rogue brews some big flavors and I was surprised to find this was a bit ordinary.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clean, clear pale golden with some amber and orange highlights and a sudsy, stark white head. Great looking light beer, and leaves spotted rocky lacing in spots on the glass. Has a clean herbal bread and yeast smell with some floral notes, maybe some vinous hints. Very smooth beer that has a very light malt base followed by more herbal quality that cuts through the bitterness as it shows. The juniper is revealed mostly as the grain dissipates. The herbs and hops mix to create a light crisp finish with green grassy flavors lingering. The beer has a light to medium mouthfeel. The herbal and green qualities of this beer creates a very refreshing and delicately flavored pale ale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep gold with not a very large head (although I might have chilled it too much).

Aroma is malty, earthy hops, and some tobacco. The bottle claims that this brew is made with juniper berries, but I did not detect any in the nose or in the taste.

Taste has a nice malt characteristic, very earthy hops take over, and leave a somewhat oily aftertaste. Again, I could not detect any junipers. It's a shame, that's what initially drew me to this beer. Prickly and somewhat (surprising) full mouthfeel.

Somewhat disappointing. This had all the makings of an interesting beer, but all in all is rather pedestrian.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled as "Yellow Snow Ale", so I don't know how old this bottle may be. Color is a hazy pale shade of copper. Carbonation is fairly high. Head is average-sized and barely off-white. Aroma is of that sweet earthy malt that I've noticed in quite a few Rogue beers. Not bad, but not too interesting. Taste is similar to the aroma, that "Rogue" malt is joined by a zesty hop. Bitterness is relatively high. A hint of something sweet near the finish may be juniper berries. This isn't one of my favorite Rogue beers, it seems plain by their standards, still it's a good drinker that offers a somewhat unique taste.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%

I was really looking forward to this beer. I have had my eye on it for a couple of weeks and although I do like it, its not for the reasons I thought.

It pours great with a nice one finger head that starts to dissapate quickly but then stops at about a quarter inch and just sits there. I have been siting here for a half an hour now and its still there. It has a remarkably rich looking head. It looks like merangiue on top of a pie. Really shiny with very tightly laced bubbles.

The aroma is nice although not as strong as I would have anticipated. Definately pine and I am sure juniper but its pretty hard to distinguish as juniper smells like well, pine.

Flavor is nice and hoppy, but smooth from the malt, or maybe its the juniper. The one thing is that the juniper is not as prevalent as I was hoping for. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy as you would expect from looking at the head.

This is a beer that I have really enjoyed and would buy again although it is a little on the pricey side. Also I think this is a nice idea for a flavored beer that is subtley flavored and not overpowering and gimmickey. I might throw some juniper berries in my next batch of pale ale I am making and see if I can make something similar to this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A nice golden yellow. Crystal clear and a nice 1 finger head that stayed with the whole glass.

S - Getting the earthy tones, some malt, but mostly earthy hops.

T - I am quite intrigued with this beer. First off on the tounge is spice. It is somewhat tart, yet not sour, but packs a punch. After swallowing a earthy tastes is left in my mouth. It is resiny. Not bad, but just there.

M - It is mod. to high carb. Nothing wrong here.

D - I got a 6 pack and I have had 2. I will probably have another but I am not craving it. It is good, but nothing that I'd make a night of drinking. I am glad I tried it though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An orange pour with a medium white head. The smell nicely hoppy and had a mellow fruit sweetness....berries and maybe some apricot as well. The taste had a decent combintaion of hops and fruitiness giving it nice balance. Fruitiness is present up front and then becomes more dry, malty towards the finish. Smooth mouthfeel with a semidry finish. Decent drinkability. Not one of my faves.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong spice (juniper), slight wheat, slight hop, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of a Herbed/Spiced ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong spice (juniper), slight sweet malt, slight hop, and a hint of yeast. Overall, very strongly spiced, as far as Juniper beer goes, it's the best I've had ... and only.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12oz into my arrogant bastard pint glass, pretty lively looking, nice finger and half of white foamy head which levels out to a thing layer kept going by the constant co2 rising up. Good lacing so far, looks like it's going to stick around. Hazy yellow golden color, reminds me of the inside of a mango.

Smells of herbs and fresh pine needles, not really too sure what a juniper berry is exactly, but there's something in here that gives off a nice spicey scent which invigorates the nostrils.

Taste is very well balanced although I must say I am much more in love with the smell. I do get the fresh pine forest feel from the hops, but really not much bittering to speak of as the malt really hits me more prominently in the flavor. Pale malt, and I'm thinking crystal malt as well because of the smooth semi-sweet flavor present here. It's more balancing between spices/pine and sweetness.

Mouthfeel ain't half bad, as pales go I'm quite happy with it. Smooth, refreshing, carbonation lightens it up and brings the flavoring home in this category.

Very drinkable, doesn't really draw me into it too much, the flavors are all there and everything but not blended too well to impart a great kind of drinkability I find in some other pale ales.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales