Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Juniper Pale AleJuniper Pale Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,304
4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

The beer pours a dark yellow color, almost copper, with a white head. The aroma reminds me of grains, and a hint of pine. The taste is sweet, and has a hint of pine to it. Overall it is more sweet and malty. The taste is very interesting, I want to say a biscuit malt flavor to it with some hops, and a hint of pine. Overall its interesting and impressive. The mouthfeel is light, and the carbonation is slightly fizzy. This one is very drinkable!

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it beer. I place myself squarely in the former category. Crystal clear, and golden in color, this beer sports the typical huge Rogue pillowy head, and leaves a nice lace down the side. The aroma is of floral hops and a bit spicy. Flavor starts off with a smooth malty body which soon develops a pleasant fruitiness from the juniper berries. Slightly acidic with a bit of a hop bite at the end, but a bit of honey sweetness kicks in to make this an incredibly well-balanced beer. Crisp and well-carbonated, but with just enough complexity to make this a great session beer for genuine beer lovers.

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a hazy orange color. Medium head of small bubbles. Aroma is of orange peal and pine.
Taste is balanced with a malty sweetness and orange citrus hops. Interesting interplay between the Amarillo hops and Munich malts… The juniper berries show more in the aftertaste, but do make an appearance in the taste as well. Slight pine in the flavor, slight gin like aftertaste.
Very drinkable and enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice golden yellow color,with 1 finger head.

S: Citrus hops. With a light bready hint.

T: A very good malty flavor with hints of citrus.the back end is a little dry and bitter.

M: Slighty dry but nice and light

O: Not like any other pale ale I've ever had. It has a unique taste that is very pleasing.I would for sure drink this again if it comes around.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Bomber into a nonic.

Appearance, pale golden, clear and topped with a just off white head. Not particularly attractive to me, but well within the appearance guidelines for the style, so there you go.

Aroma is cracked black pepper, and a bit of tarragon or fennel coolness, which I can only assume is the juniper. Smells quite nice actually.

Malt forward, crusty bread-like with a good amount of lemon in the foreground also. Hop bitterness is there, but restrained as it should be in a pale ale. Pine and again with the cool slight mintyness of fennel or tarragon. Really, a lot better than I expected. Very balanced and a lot of flavor, which I wasn't expecting after the appearance.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but again this is perfectly in line with pale ales. Refreshing and quaffable.

Overall, I'm super impressed by this beer. I wasn't expecting this to be so good, but it's really a nice balanced beer. I'm thinking of making a beurre blanc or a mussel pan sauce with this to see if the lemon flavor comes out more, and what that minty aspect does also. Great beer! Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Bottle – Poured a yellow brew with a nice large head with standard retention. Aroma is really sweet with nice touché of hops and malts coming out of my glass. Taste is incredible with the usual sweetness and refreshing taste of a pale ale but with added bonus of juniper berries. I love the taste of gin and I think I find here again but without the strong alcohol content. Another truly great beer from Rogue and one underrated beer in my own opinion.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out a nice light tan color, good head, good lacing. It has a great scent and taste, a nice crisp, hoppy aroma and taste with great hints of juniper. Although it's listed as an herbed/spice beer, it reminds me partially of a fruited wheat beer, except it's a great pale ale in place of the wheat beer. It goes down quite easily, I could drink one or two all on my own quite easily.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy gold a thinnish head that leaves good lace swathes. The aroma is a very pleasant mix of fruit (juniper berries?) perfumey malt and some vibrant aroma hops. I can also detect the dry estery Rogue yeast in the nose.

The taste starts with a blend of flavor and bittering hops. Thick and complex malt character comes through in the middle. Theres a great fruityness, partly like berries and partly like yeast esters. There are some mild green tea flavors as well. The finish is nicely bitter and fruity. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

This is one great Pale Ale with plenty of hop flavor and an incredibly complex malt profile. Excellent stuff.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one and walked away, as such I can't rightly comment on the head though it appears to have been bone white in color. Speaking of color this ale is pale golden with a slight orange hue. This is a clear beer with just a slight haze.

Nose is very hoppy, floral and a bit piny or junipery if you will. The grain in this beer is tasty and not hidden behind the hops or juniper. There is a lot of nose there and it is pleasing.

Taste of this beer is like a well hopped Pale or a lighter IPA. There is a tang of citric hop, a bit of bite from the juniper and a overall great balance.

Body pf this beer is full and nearly creamy. Rogue kicks ass and this is another stellar beer. I love how they pull off a full body without having odd aftertaste and the like.

Drinkability is great and I will drink more. I only wish Rogue beers were back at the 8.99 they used to be...ah well.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Quick review. This is an amazing pale, the juniper mostly gets lost (at least to me), but it's no problem. Everything else is right up my alley: dry, great carb, perfect amount of body & malt, just enough hop. I could drink this all day.

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

On tap at New World Brewery, Ybor City, FL.

This is perhaps my favorite herb/spiced beer with high marks probably because of the IPA underpinnings (rather than a belgian style or some other malt dominant style.)

A nice citrus-tart hop aroma actually gave me pause: how would herbs go with citrus notes? I shouldn't have worried. I never expected such a mild "judicious" addition of spice to a dominating IPA. An addition of character, but not a competing flavor, the juniper falls into the nice blend of flavors. There's a swell dry finish that also contains some citrus and grassy notes. All beers should be this complex and yet so well blended.

Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Big head, clearish orange-amber. Fresh and deep malt aroma, touch of evergreen. Malty flavor but a nice, light body without a lot of syrupy qualities. Very nice subtle bittering aided by the slight pine taste, non-assertive but gradual. Again Rogue shows an uncanny ability to balance its brew's flavor profiles. Malts are wonderfully combined, this Ale is inherently drinkable. I could drink this on tap all night on a cool evening. After the pour tasting, I took a pull right out of the bottle. This method concentrates the juniper flavors more.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a tightly-packed white head that has good retention and some lace. Smell was a piney malt with a lot of hops, more than most Rogue Ales. Taste was a very refreshing hops up front, with the piney-ness of juniper berries. Very long finish, with some maltiness finally arriving. Very crisp, yet full-bodied. I love this, I could drink this all winter, I had better stock up.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber topped with a two finger pillowy white head. Leaves webs of lacing.
Great robust aroma, citrus, juniper, wood, herbs and toffee.
Fruity, grapefruit, herbs, very leafy, juniper, some caramel under all the hops, biscuit malt.
Medium to full bodied, just a great and interesting take on the APA.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%

Wow, I love this beer!

I'm watching the final between Spain and Germany and want a GOOD session beer to drink away while getting futbol'd.

This beer is CREAMY! I love IPA's but they can be a bit much one after the other IMO, this one is milder in flavor than say a DFA 90 minute, but what makes it get such high marks the the creamy texture and aftertaste.

Nice balance of bite, smooth, and aftertaste. One of my favorite everyday beers.

Photo of
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

From a 22 oz bottle. Pours a rather cloudy golden color with an orange tinge. Aroma is floral. Strong unmistakable flavor of juniper berries stopping just short of too much. The juniper adds a bitterness much sharper than the 34 IBUs would suggest but this actually makes the beer taste very clean ...almost refrshing. Strong malt presence balances this out nicely.

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a deep golden color. At first smell a nice floral hop aroma, also a nice white head. Super smooth a great balance of malt and hops. Leaves a small trace of hops between each sip. Lacing is minimal, but who cares when the beer is so tasty. A great selection awsome beer.

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%

Hey, that's not a Huskey on the bottle!

That said, I have to admit, I might be a little biased when it comes to this beer. You see, I've got a passionate love for all things brewed, which includes tea. Juniper being one of my favorites.

The Juniper which is in this brew, however, is far from overwhelming. Indeed, like almost everything brewed by Rogue, the beer is dominated by a blast of overwhelming, up front, spicy hop bite. It's not only what I like, it's what I expect from just about anything Rogue puts out. Call it a signiture feature. I'm very surprised on the occasions when I get something different.

Even so, the Juniper backing gives this particular beer a bit of a subtle spicy edge which other beers might do well to emulate. A great example of how one or two unusual ingredients can add considerably to a beer!

4.66/5  rDev +28%

The appearance is what you'd expect from the source of yellow snow - a pale straw color. A very nice unassuming hop boquet on the nose. This beer tastes great. The one word that comes to mind is Delicious. I think the blend of hops and Juniper berries give this beer a very unique and wonderful taste. I was surprised to finally find this beer in MN. I'm glad it's here and will be getting more.

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

What impressed me about this ale was how sharp the spicy/floral hops were at the middle, but then became quite dry at the finish with relatively little hops residual.

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

Rogue always delivers. This brew is fantastic. From the bottle it pours a thick and fairly well lasting head. The bubbles seem to find permanent residence on the sides of the glass. The smell is unusually sweet and malty for a pale ale. Once on the pallet there is a distinct but by no means overwhelming bite. The taste of the brew has coolly strolled into my personal top five. Casually sweet, with remarkably well balanced malts and hops, this beer delivers an easygoing flavor that is just too good to treat with any insouciance. With a mildly dry and equally mildly bitter aftertaste, one can easily relax and enjoy this beer. Pick it up and enjoy with no regrets.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

Slightly hazy butterscotch-orange color. Yellow highlights like a Veuve-Clicquot NV Brut label.

A nose of tangerine juice...& Rain...Moist...Mossy.

Big, broad bitterness that becomes almost cocoa-like. Perfectly (and thoroughly) extracted hops...Bright, black currant flavors breathe gently across the butter, cream, butterscotch and hop resins.

A charming, sunny, Hollywood starlet on the outside. Blonde. Happy-go-lucky.

Trenchant, cured herb herb character on the inside.

4.88/5  rDev +34.1%

My dream in life is to hook up with my friend Fred Savage and hitchhike to Meth Mountain in Oregon because not only is it a beautiful state, but the beer is divine. My only goal besides shooting meth would be to take the Rogue brewery tour. The Juniper Pale Ale is exquisite reminding me of how much I used to love sipping Hi-C after a hard day of water polo.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales