2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Juniper Pale AleJuniper Pale Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Ratings: 1,120 | Reviews: 662 | Show All Ratings:
Suds

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%

From a bomber, this beer is a clear, pale golden color. Not much of a head. Medium carbonation. The juniper and a little spice is very dominant in the smell...malt, pa,e, with some flowery and resiny scents. Yeast and a little musty earthiness. Semi-sweet and malty...spice follows to the taste, with a bit of to tongue-numbingness. Medium body. Overall quite good.

01-27-2013 20:32:01 | More by Suds
NilocRellim

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ale was poured out from the bottle into a pint glass. Appeared cloudy and golden yellow in colour. Aroma was reminiscent of green olives; earthy and salty. Hints of citrus hop, juniper, and floral notes detected. Ale tasted similar to a nut brown ale in smoothness and nutty flavour. Light in body. Sweet malts and spices were present with a lingering roasty aftertaste. Interesting flavour phases.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably.

01-25-2013 20:00:16 | More by NilocRellim
HoppyHomo

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

12-07-2012 03:12:51 | More by HoppyHomo
Danno48

West Virginia

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Ill keep this one simple...
Light yellow with a little haze...
Smells like flowers pine and sugar....
Tastes like an IPA and I spice cabinet, not to mention when you eat it with turkey you want more and Visa Versa...
Great Pale ale and makes thanks giving a blast.

12-03-2012 02:17:02 | More by Danno48
LeRose

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured coppery, clear, obviously fizzy. Thick soapy head that persisted for some time. ARoma - didn't get much there. Very light citrus, no juniper, maybe a little malty. VERY bitter on the taste - not citrus, and no juniper initially. A little sweetness, some malty notes but extremely bitter. Very dry at the finish, and then get some juniper/gin flavor. It was an OK beer to try, but not one I would go out of the way to find.

12-02-2012 00:06:36 | More by LeRose
AmitC

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours with one finger thick head of white color that withers off. Decent lacing. Copperish amber color. Good number of bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of malt, some weird weed (may be juniper berries as they say) and some hops which are way suppressed.

Taste: Very much the same as nose. Good balance with flavor moving towards that unknown taste. I personally have not taste juniper or no what it is. Good dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Just a tad perceived bitterness.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Typical bitterness and astringency but not so dominant.

Good beer. Not to my liking.

Style Rate: Herb/spiced beer he he :) 3.5 Not correct as i don't know what juniper is, just that it is some kind of berry.

Personal rate: 3.5

I wish it were more intoxicating.

11-25-2012 04:32:18 | More by AmitC
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The beer pours out slightly hazy, orange gold in color with a finger of white frothy head that quickly dissipates. Nose has some sweet jammy notes, some fruit, hops, and a faint touch of lemon.

The beer has a medium body and fairly firm mouthfeel, helped by a decent level of carbonation which opens the palate nicely. The flavor is nicely balanced, but a little grassy at mid-palate. Nice hop bitterness lingers a bit on the finish. Quite refreshing, though the flavor is not very complex or intense. I'm not sure exactly what the juniper berries contribute to this. There is, however, a slight metallic sweetness at the front of the tongue that I assume is of their doing.

Overall, this is basically an average American Pale Ale. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me, but I don't think I will seek it out again in the future. Been there, done that, time to move on.

10-20-2012 17:08:01 | More by deadonhisfeet
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

09-24-2012 04:45:24 | More by rickyleepotts
tdm168

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A - tranparent copper-amber with a huge, soft, white head that has good retention

S - bready and sweet, some faint caramel

T - caramel, bready, bitter, subtle juniper berries

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a pretty decent beer. It's a bit malt forward and the juniper berries are faint, but it's easy to drink and enjoyable. I'm not sure I'll buy it again, but I'd never turn it down.

09-18-2012 08:35:34 | More by tdm168
Josiah2729

Tennessee

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow with 3 finger head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Faint malt, some light hops.

Taste: Sweet and slightly bitter, not really tasting much from the juniper.

Mouthfeel: Light body, decent carbonation.

Overall: A decent beer, but not quite what I was expecting.

08-28-2012 06:52:15 | More by Josiah2729
SolipsismalCat

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear golden yellow with two-finger, white, creamy head that lasted a few minutes. Nice lacing.

S: Faint toasted malt, not much else.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Nice toasted malt flavor with some bitter hops.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

O: Nothing special about this beer.

08-22-2012 04:14:14 | More by SolipsismalCat
smakawhat

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint glass at Jackie's restaurant Silver Spring. From notes.

A pale amber body, slightly cloudy and hazy, is presented with not much rising carbonation, but a real big fluffy white head and thick clumpy lacing is given with good retention also. Iniviting, and looks big.

Nose is very faint, hints of spruce tips, faint herbal quality, but I am not getting a big juniper sense off of this at all.

Taste is fairly pedestrian. Chalky body and malt, dry finish with not much of a lasting aftertaste. A bit of a wet body, with not much flavor going on, but a passable maltiness, and slightly herbal finish.

Overall, not the worst, but not very memorable either.

08-18-2012 13:22:21 | More by smakawhat
Kiwano

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

A - yellow gold with a head at first that dissipated into nothing

S - some hops even malt slight bit of fruit

T - a slight tang with a slight sweetness with hops following with a slight and subtle bitter note some fruit and then hops again toward the end

M - very light carbonation that stays through

O - nice balance of tartness with bitterness of hops and other flavors keeping it interesting - not too bitter

Bottle poured into a glass

08-17-2012 01:57:38 | More by Kiwano
fezmeister

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Clear yellow-gold with a pillowy off-white head.

S: Surprisingly lacking in nose for a juniper beer. Hard to get much at all, not more than a bit of grain and a tinge of malt.

T: Very light biscuity malt and grainy backbone blending with hop counterbalance. Absolutely no hop bit, though. Really hard to taste any juniper berries and only a vague essence of herbality in the hop flavor that is present. Very smooth, though, I suppose.

M: Quaffable.

O: Drinkable and refreshing, but really not super exciting on the flavor front, especially for something as promising-sounding as a juniper pale. By no means bad, but far off the mark of either my favorite pale ale or herbed/spiced beer.

08-08-2012 02:13:50 | More by fezmeister
Samp01

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow gold with a medium slowly dissipating white head. Aroma and Taste is biscuit malt, sweet light berries notes, and some yeast, Some light bitterness in the taste. Palate is a medium body, slightly crisp with moderate carbonation. Finish is a combination of sweet light fruity notes, some yeast, biscuit malt and some hops bitterness for balance, a bit of nutty notes. Overall an average brew, nothing special about this brew.

07-30-2012 18:28:42 | More by Samp01
metter98

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is slightly hazy light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that gradually died down, consistently leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel and pale malts in the nose along with some hints of juniper.
T: Flavors of pale malts are present in the taste, along with notes of juniper berries—these particularly stand out and linger in the finish. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a solid and drinkable pale ale; the addition of juniper berries definitely makes the taste more interesting.

06-10-2012 03:06:11 | More by metter98
t420o

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

A- pour produces a 2-1/2 finger off white head that rests on a slightly hazy straw colored body. Good retention 4

S- cereal grain, alcohol, metallic twang, slightly herbal, slightly bitter smelling. Not a very appealing smell 2

T- bland. Not bad, but very bland. Grain, slight yeast taste, malt profile is ok, slight floral hop, slightly herbal. I like juniper berries and love them in the only other beer I've had with them which is Mammoth 395 IPA (one of my favorites specifially because of the juniper), but this beer has none that I can really taste. Pretty disappointing but my expectations keep going lower and lower for Rogue beers. 3

M- good mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the light side of feel and good body.  4

O- at $5.99 for a 22 it wasn't too expensive but I still feel ripped off. This is such an average beer it should be like $2.99. Oh wait but they have those cool labels on the bottles that they spend all that money for! 3

C

05-17-2012 03:46:21 | More by t420o
cwoods

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

S- out of bottle into glass

A- golden haze with nice head

S- hops, berry, hint of pine?

T- This beer is clean and crisp throughout with a little hoppy bite. Starts off berry, then the hops hit you, not hard, just enuff to leave you wanting a little more then a piney tast with a sweet somewhat tart finish.

O- Rogue sometimes dosent get enuff credit IMO b/c they have been making good beer for a long time. There are not the latest and greatest but everytime I pick one up Im pleased. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this brew and will continue to pick it up as the spring seasons come and go. Its an enjoyable citrus pale ale thats not going to knock your socks off but will satisfy most pale ale lovers taste bubs year in and out.

04-15-2012 16:39:52 | More by cwoods
lespaulrocker

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Copper body with a large, 2 and a half finger white head. Head stuck around for about a minute and a half, very light lacing.

S: Citrus, hops, floral notes, juniper.

T: Bitter up front, biscuit and flour notes, little bit of juniper but mostly just like a typical pale. The juniper is surprisingly underwhelming.

M: Light body, light carbonation.

Okay beer. I probably wouldn't seek it out again though.

04-03-2012 02:23:02 | More by lespaulrocker
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A - warm golden wheat with a slightly copper hue. Pours clear with a centimetre of head that quickly dissipates to a lacy thin rim. Occasional bubbles that aren't over powering. Best part of the beer is the warm glow of the colour.

S - Initial smell of lemon peels and grapefruit followed by a hoppy pine sap and a faint floral scent. Overall the smell is mild compared to other notable pale ales. Considering this is a juniper pale ale neither of us tasters could detect juniper on the nose.

M - Medium bodied, nice balance of carbonation.

T - Nice balance of hoppy bitters, flavours of citrus peels and pine sap. Bitters linger for a short stay on the tongue. Once again considering this is a juniper flavoured beer, the herbacous juniper flavour was hard to detect. As the beer warmed the bitters were more pronounced and the flavours developed. Starting drinking it at around 10 degrees, and warmed to approximately 15 - certainly more complex as the beer warmed.

O - While the flavours improved as the beer warmed, this beer was not memorable for either the flavour or the scent. I was looking forward to a herbaceous complex flavour or smell, but was left trying to finding it all the way through. While I didn't find the juniper anywhere - I find this easy to drink, but not something I'd reach for.

03-11-2012 07:35:50 | More by FondueVoodoo
Josh

1.8/5  rDev -50.3%

A - I poured the beer more heavy handed than I should have and it had about 3 1/2 fingers of head. The color was a dirty yellow, not quite opaque. It resembled dehydrated urine. The head died down pretty quickly and left blotches of foam on the top.

S - It smells like an average American lager but with an oily twinge.

T - The taste is slightly pungent and has an oily bitter flavor. It reminds me of the taste of leaves, grass, or an unripened berry you may have accidentally tried as a kid. I actually don't like the taste, and I do not think it would grow on me. For some it might be a pleasurable change, but this beer is simply not for me.

M - Mouthfeel was average carbonation and slightly oily.

O - Terrible beer on my palette. It wasn't the quality, just the taste does not suit my liking.

03-10-2012 02:45:09 | More by Josh
seagullbeer

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Had a deeper orange color than previous pales, apricoty? Pretty much straight dry and hops. Something interesting about the hop notes. Managed to be light on the taste and mouthfeel like a lager but still having a nice kick of hops.

Refreshing and easy drinking but definitely stood out from the normal pale ale options.

If it were only available in six packs I'd start reaching for it instead of the other stand by pales.

03-09-2012 02:45:52 | More by seagullbeer
daledeee

Iowa

A 22 oz bomber.

Poured a clear gold with white head. Not much head retention.

Nose is juniper and pond water. Not the best.

Taste. Not real strongly hopped. Slight touch of grain and sweetness. The finish is rather dry without much flavor except some sweetness.

02-25-2012 01:05:48 | More by daledeee
jtierney89

1.3/5  rDev -64.1%

Straw pale bright golden color. about 2 finger head that dissipates quickly. straw and dry biscuit on the nose. the flavor follows up with the same flavors up front. decent carbonation light to medium in body. slight juniper berry after taste on the finish but it's barely perceivable.

completely disappointing, tastes like a very standard pale ale just a touch different. rogue needs to add some variety between styles besides just adding a dash of something.

dry piney finish. drinkable but not worth the exclusivity of being a separate beer on the rogue roster.

02-15-2012 02:31:48 | More by jtierney89
evlu1441

Alberta (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

I was quite intrigued by this beer, and decided to bite the bullet (expensive bullet) and give it a try. 650ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

It pours a slighty hazy medium apricot colour. the head is sparse, but there is a good amount of carbonation coming up to the top. It's a fairly standard looking pale.

The aroma is faint and dominated by a sweet, smooth malty-ness. There are some faint aromatic hops too, but nothing overpowering. The juniper isn't noticeable at all, which is a bit of let down.

It is slightly bitter to start, and then some light toasty malt rolls across the tongue. The hops come through nicely towards the middle and blend into some interesting and complimentary juniper aspects. It finishes with a kind of cooling effect, no doubt from the juniper. There is a nice malty finish.

Overall, this beer is subtle and balanced. It could have gone wrong in many ways, but it manages to stay on track. At the same time, I wish the Juniper was a bit more pronounced.

01-26-2012 21:00:24 | More by evlu1441