Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros

Served in pint glass.

Pours a clean, light amber. Eggshell head is dense and retains well. Noticeable carbonation throughout.

Aroma is very faint. Floral, oily hops and very mild juniper. Not much going on.

Taste is smooth and clean, with a tight malt sweetness and herbal and floral hop notes. Juniper is noticeable and quite pleasant. Finish was dry and a little harsh, seemingly due to both the juniper and an overbalance of hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Very crisp on the palate. Spiciness from the berries and the carbonation make for a nice combination.

I suppose it is drinkable. A tasty beer, for sure, but too unbalanced to be thoroughly enjoyable.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer poured a slightly orange, pale yellow color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer were citrus fruit hops, no berry smell whatsoever (I've never eaten a juniper berry, but I expect something)

T - The taste of this beer I wasn't too fond of, compared to other great APA's, this one was a little harsh. The overwhelming taste is an herbal bitterness is off putting, but there was enough of a citrus hoppiness to make it an ok beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was not a beer I would seek out again, to many other great APA's in the market

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

OKAY BIG EDIT: best if you really stir up the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The last half was MUCH better. Smoother and tastier.

Presentation: Poured from a 22oz bomber as pictured into a tulip glass. Descriptive list of the 10 ingredients.

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow with minimal head and lacing.

S: Nice mild hop scent with undertones of spice and juniper. Some pale malt sweetness.

T&M: Smooth with a crisp malt and mild bitter hop taste. Light juniper berry flavor. Mild fruitiness with malty sweet light carbonation.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

-pretty yellow and clear, looks like a good lager. good lacing though and lasting head

-flowery, hoppy, some malt

-mild bitterness throughout. good and clean and pretty balanced

-solid...small carb, not harsh though

-easy, could go through a lot of those.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

I'm gonna make this one quick... hopefully...

pours a nice clear gold with a touch of opacity... but overall pretty clear. nice 2 finger head subsides very quickly. looks extremely refreshing, though I'd like to see a bit more lacing.

smells super refreshing as well... a touch estery with some faint hops. I don't pick up on the juniper very much at all... but it's sweet for sure.

wow!... green apple right at first and then some light bitter hops and the juniper come through... surprising how much juniper presents itself considering I didn't really pick it up on the nose. finishes a touch bready... it's nice.

a touch light, but overall pretty nice... a bit astringent.

I could drink a lot of this... for a really long time. Thanks for another solid showing, rogue!

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

I enjoyed this beer. The pour, appearance, etc were all standard pale ale offerings, while solid, not outstanding. The incorporation of juniper to this beer is tasty and unique. The flavors work well (if you dig juniper, that is). As I drank this beer I found it to be crisp, refreshing, and full-flavored for a pale ale. I really enjoyed how well Rogue was able to work the juniper into this equation. I was searching for this beer for a while and am glad I found a bomber; I will be buying more of this. Highly recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Found a bomber of this in Saltillo MS

Pours a golden color, had a very nice head that lasted a good while. I tried to smell juniper but I mainly got hops and citrus, there's something else there but I am not sure if I'd call it juniper.

The initial taste is a sweet citrus, only briefly though, then the hops come in and right in the back, you got your bitter juniper. None of these flavors are really strong, I think it's what it makes it so refreshing. Kind of bitter aftertaste.

This beer is ok, but at $6 a bomber I expected more.

EDIT: New and fresher bottle, way better!

Bought a bomber of this at Papa V's, Tupelo MS, $6 incl taxes

Poured into my Raise your Pints pint glass, beautiful brew, very nice head that sticks to the glas, almost golden in color.

Not much going on smell wise, very mild,like malty citrus

Taste is nice, none of the flavors are overwhelming but I get some very faint sweetness up front then the hops and juniper hit.

The mouthfeel is what really gets me, for lack of better words I'd say it feels like drinking milk. Smooth and soft while still nicely carbonated.

I like this a lot, glad I didn't review it the first time I had this, I think that bottle was old. This is a perfect beer for a tornado loaded MS day. I'll have one any other day too though :)

3.25/5  rDev -10%

split a bomber with my father into two sam adams "special" glasses.
A: pours golden, 2 finger head, no lacing
S: light hops, very very faint juniper
T: noticeable juniper, not as much as i was expecting, nice hop bitterness
M: crisp, clean
D: good for a hot day.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I was intrigued by the possibilities here. I like gin so why not?

It's a nice golden color with a white head. I'm looking for the juniper in the aroma but I'm getting lemon and citrus hops instead. The soft, dry and clean mouthfeel makes this a good summer beer. The hops and citrus flavor are right up front and there it i, the juniper berries finally make their appearance lurking in the back and imparting a pleasant dry tang to the flavor. It's interesting and very good.

This is a unique offering from a brewer not afraid to experiment. This one is a success.

4.08/5  rDev +13%

Whenever I see a Rogue and have the $8 required to buy a bottle I'm more than happy to buy. Review from notes:

Pours a very light, hazy amber with a one finger bone white head that displays some decent retention and nice sticky, patchy lacing. Carbonation is visible and quite active.

Smell of citrus. spice, malt and a slightly sour astringency; possibly juniper? Unfortunately I've never had the chance to try the berry.

Citrus, grapefruit rhine, clean dry malt and like the label states "a dry, spicy finish" accompanied by a faint sour bite.

Medium bodied, smooth and the dryness is quite snappy. Very refreshing and easily sessionable. Great balance makes it quite quaffable.

Overall, another solid offering from Rogue. I think next time I fall upon some, I might go with their stronger, fuller bodied offerings for a chnage but wouldn't mind having this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Tulip glass.

The beer poured a very clean amber that reflects wonderfully in the light; one of those beers you could see a super villain swivel in his hand before revealing his master plan. The head was present but I found it to quickly subside and leave a few rings along the edge of my glass as I continued to drink. It probably could lace the glass more effectively in a different glass, but I found the tulip to be satisfactory. The smell of the beer itself is very sweet and sort of flowery, given off by the juniper berries. Following the sweet smell is an appropriately sweet taste. The taste is moderately sour, which makes this a sipper. The yeast and berries work very well together, despite the sourness. It begins with a sour note as you drink but finishes with the yeast and hops which effectively balances the sour. I've said the word, "sour," several times now, which I do mean to stretch. If you're drinking in this style, you should be used to it, however a fair warning is in order.
If you like spiced beers and Rogue, or you want to check out the style more, try this beer. It's not the best in the genre but it's a great sipper or introduction into the style. And if you're a fan of Rogue, why not try it?

3.25/5  rDev -10%

A: A hazy golden color with a fluffy white foam.

S: Very subtle citrus and pine, the Juniper is very muted, not at all what I was expecting.

T: A bit of pine on the front and then pretty bland after that. Fades into some malt flavor and not much else. I was expecting to really taste the juniper, but was disappointed.

M: Crisp and dry, good carbonation.

D: As a gin drinker, I was hoping to experience a lot of the juniper herbalness, but it was absent. The beer still tasted okay, but I don't think it highlighted the juniper at all. Could have just been any pale ale.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into 7/6/09

A - Deep, hazy gold color. Head settles to about ¼ in. Patchy lacing.

S - Subtle nose. Juniper with faint malt notes. Juicy smell.

T - Juniper is noticeable, but not overpowering. Slight hop twinge mingles with a restrained malt character. Mild bitterness lingers.

M - Not particularly carbonated. The beer moves smoothly & is easy on the palate. It has a bit of bite when cold, but mellows as it warms. Dry finish.

D - I liked this one. As the juniper berries don't overpower the beer, it is pretty balanced brew throughout. It wasn't particularly fascinating, but by no means offensive. I found myself swilling it quite hastily.

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Drank from the 650ml bottle. Poured a nice hazy orange with a slow rising yet certainly substantial off-white webby head which lingered like it should. It left a dome atop and moderate lacing as it slowly receded. After i topped off my glass, it left clumpy thick spots of foam which clung on the glass like the third guy in your party riding on the back of the golf cart after the driver has had 17 holes worth of PBR.

Nose was very crisp and balanced well. The smooth citrus and pine hops were backed by cracker-like malt. For those expecting juniper berries or a gin-esque nose may be left dissapointed, however it is in there.

Flavor is along the lines of the nose, as it should be. The hops don't completely take the show, as the toasty cracker-like malt is right up there with the resiny hop profile. All the goodness fades to a clean citrus and almost sweet finish, leaving the mouth waiting for more.

Feel is smooth with a good crisp bite. It surprisingly easy to drink quickly (even after a large meal). The finish is neither dry nor bitter. I may have liked a bit more body, but it's crisp refreshing and flavorful.

The juniper does not stand out much at all, and being a gin-lover I was rather looking forward to a flavor explosion. However, it's a great pale ale I will return to when I feel like dropping the dough for a bottle.

Pours cloudy orange with a big foamy off-white head that falls slow.

Spicy hop aroma.

Has a nice sweet taste followed by a herbal and spicy hop taste with a rather clean finish. Did not really detect the juniper though.

Medium mouthfeel.

Nice drinking beer. I enjoyed it.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Bomber poured into pint glass.

Pours golden with plenty of foam. Nose is of vanilla (or something to do with baking besides yeast), hops, and spice...seems pretty balanced. Just a touch of alcohol. Very crisp, spicy and actually quite light. Understated malt and hop flavor. Juniper is somewhat difficult to detect, although it's in there somewhere. Pretty good, definitely worth a try, but maybe not again any time soon. Not quite as much as I had hoped for especially for someone who likes gin as much as I do.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into the Sam Adams glass.

From a 22oz. bomber.

A - Pours a hazy strong golden color with an orange hue. Almost looks like a Belgian Trippel. It has a nice white head that was about .5 in and recedes down to a film with some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Citrus and oranges com through immediately with some grainy malt at the back end. Some grassy tones as well.

T - Very delicious grainy and malty sweetness at the beginning is offset slowly by some citrus and mildly piney hops that finish off with a dry and crisp bitterness. The finish is also very spicy, hints of black pepper some and some coriander. The juniper isn't as detectable to me. The sweetness I mild and takes a back seat to the more prevalent hops. Not as balanced as other Pal Ales but I seem to enjoy the over active hop character.

M - Good carbonation and nice clean and crisp feel. Light bodied.

D - Very drinkable, refreshing good for 95 degree days like right now.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

rogue juniper pale ale
4 hazy golden, looks nearly like a wit but a shade darker. short head drops to a ring and leaves sliding lace.
4-4.5 hops and bready, crackery malt. the hops are citric but not very bold, some juniper in there as well
4 the hop/berry flavor spectrum not as deep and wide as anticipated, but nice. juniper sneaks into the finish, which has a sullen but calms demeanor.
3.5-4 not overly carbonated, but what there is prickles within the soft medium body.
4.5 on the soft and muted side, moreso than would expect given the relative dryness. the hops hang back to try and let the juniper take a leading role, but the berry might not be quite up to the challenge. perhaps a little dull at times and i thought now and then could use a touch more carb, but still enjoyed this one. an easy drinker with a slight twist. a certain german character (from the malt), and for some reason i imagine drinking this from a stein at an ancestral family reunion. definitely evoking the old world, an aspect of the brew i am appreciating more and more as i near the end of the bomber. just read that it's 5.3 abv, which leaves me even more impressed.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Rich golden color with lots of robust white head with great staying power. Looks great, IMO. I was expecting it to be a little lighter since this is the renamed Yellow Snow, but it's good.

S- Malty and citrusy. The malt is a bit biscuity, grainy, light. Citrusy hops with another aroma I can't quite pin (I'm guessing juniper).

T- Surprised that the alcohol comes through a little in this one. A bit earthy and piney from the hops. Not as much juniper here, although it does contribute to some of the earthy/bitter notes. I tend to like piney beers, and this is a nice one. Not overpowering, but pretty enjoyable. The depth of flavor here is somewhat lacking, however. Kind of reminds me of a nice Pils.

M- Sticky, medium bodied, nice balance with carbonation and body. A bit dry on the finish.

D- A pretty good brew here. Not fantastically deep or my favorite from Rogue, but definitely a good session.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

A: A lager-like appearance, showing a yellowish gold with a fluffy off-white head that laces itself down the side of the glass.

S: There wasn't a lot to smell here, some faint malts and an ester-y alcohol tinge.

T: A nice bitter start, which quickly lead to some reserved but roasty malts, and then little aftertaste.

M: The mouth feel seems to be where the hops come through, very immediate in the initial bitterness and carbonation, but leaving little behind.

D: Not at all unpleasant, but not enough here to make me crave more.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Bought this bottle in New York. Tasted March 1st, 2009 in Quebec.

Appearance: Golden color.
Smell: I get malt mainly with maybe some herbal note which comes from the Juniper I would guess. Never smelled a Juniper so... I can't say :)
Taste: Bitter, I like. Spice in the taste. More so than the smell. Light body.
Drinkability: easy to drink, however I wouldn't think I would drink more than one 22oz bottle per session.

Not a bad beer and I'm glad I tried it. If you want some bitterness, it is one beer to go. Not the most bitterness beer but it is bitter!

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale is a slightly hazy pale golden ale with a thin white film of a head that has good retention and lacing. It has a bright, fresh, spicy aroma that carries notes of hay, pine, orange peel, dough and, well, juniper. It is medium-light bodied and very smooth. The finish is so clean it seems like it vanishes from the mouth. The juniper isn't carried away at all. It provides a piny flavor that blends with the citrusy hops. This is a well balanced American Pale Ale here.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Pale amber pour with significant head that leaves great lacing.
Spicy and floral hop aroma hits first. I'm guessing the spiciness is actually from the juniper. Big sweet toffee malt follows. Well balanced, if perhaps a bit too heavy on the malt.
Flavour is first of all some sweet bready malt, followed by a dry spicy note from the juniper. Good hoppy bitterness makes for a long-lasting finish. Great complexity for what is often a simple style.
Creamy mouthfeel, but more carbonation than necessary.
Quite impressed with my first Rogue.

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Nice golden color with a creamy white lace of thin bubbles around the glass.
Herbal aroma. Some grassy notes, with hints of pine.
Crisp dry, and refreshing beer. Clean taste, very neutral yeast profile.
Taste has a very slight bitterness up front, but seems to hit you at the end. well balanced malt and hops make this easy to drink.
Medium bodied and very easy drinking beer. The finish is mostly dry with a subtle malt undertone, along with a distinct bite reminiscent of some Bavarian lagers I have enjoyed.

Highly drinkable offering from Rogue. This beer has character to it. While it's not my favorite Rogue, I certainly would drink this one again

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. Label is typical Rogue, this one with blue/green colors and a juniper plant behind the seated individual. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of white head. This settles to a thin coating, leaving decent lacing. The beer itself is yellow and cloudy.

Smell: Very little smell, just a mild sweetness.

Taste: Creamy malt upfront with a mild to medium bitterness in the finish. Maybe a slight sweetness or herbal note in the finish.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation. Very creamy body.

Drinkability: Good, but not sure about the juniper. If I didn't know I was drinking a juniper pale ale, I probably wouldn't have picked up the sweet/herbal notes. Still not entirely sure I wasn't reaching for it. I won't be revisiting this one, it is simply a decent cream ale, nothing more.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales