Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Vanz

Australia

01-28-2014 00:01:46 | More by Vanz
Dcunicelli

07-28-2013 20:43:19 | More by Dcunicelli
blitz134

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

07-12-2005 01:40:31 | More by blitz134
necoadam

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

Hazy light brass color with a good head to go with it. Nose consisted of various items. Orange, lemon, ginger, junipers in the background. Citrus hops and pine hops come out of the woodwork as well. Taste is rather herbal and earthy with orange and spices coming together that work well together. Junipers come out in the finish and last into the aftertaste. I like how the flavors go together in this brew. Mouthfeel was mediumish with good carbonation. Almost seems to be a full bodied beer, but the carbonation sets is straight. Solid beer and perhaps one of Rogue's underrated beers.

01-11-2006 20:59:25 | More by necoadam

08-12-2014 03:24:42 | More by LukeGude
Quaffer

Nevada

22 oz. Bottle

Appearance: This beer poured a hazey, deep golden color. The light tan head rose up big and chunky. A thin layer stuck around and helped to deposit a decent amount of lace on the glass.

Smell: There was a sweet malt smell combined with a very floral hops aroma.

Mouthfeel: A medium-bodied brew that was smooth. After I swallowed the beer, there was an oily, slick feeling left in my mouth.

Taste: There were some mild malt flavors up front that gave way to a hoppy bitterness. The hops was not a clean bitterness; it tasted like it felt in the mouth: oily. There was a sharp, almost fruity flavor on the finish with the hops. It might have been due to the juniper berries, but I can't say for sure since I have no idea what a juniper berry tastes like.

Overall, this was a decent brew. I wish it was a little more balanced and had a cleaner, drier finish to it, though.

03-02-2003 14:30:16 | More by Quaffer
BeerZack

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Golden orange color with creamy one-finger eggshell colored head. Nice lace.

Sweet orangey citrus hops, hint of pine, with spicy perfume scent on top; hint of caramel.

Pale malts, mildly sweet with hints of orange. Good amount of hops to balance throughout that builds to a bitter and slightly spiced finish.

Smooth, almost creamy, full-bodied Pale Ale. Good hearty Pale that is pretty sessionable.

05-15-2008 07:16:40 | More by BeerZack
sneth019

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -3%

03-29-2012 22:48:57 | More by sneth019
Yoonisaykul

Quebec (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

My second taste of Rogue after Dead guy ale.
A- A flat looking dirty gold. There's lacing but almost no head.
S- A bit of sweet beet or tomato juice. Some hops and iron.
T- Same as the smell. Not too good but I like it. A bit oh honey hop. Black tea.
M- Weak carbonation, pretty thin. Feels like an unfinished homebrew.
D- Good. I could drink a few of these but they'd have to be colder to make up for the rest.

Won't buy it again but would drink it again.

EDIT: Read the other reviews and I'm seeing discrepancies, especially in regards to the mouthfeel. So I'm guessing I may have gotten a subpar bottle.

05-06-2010 03:06:43 | More by Yoonisaykul
BeerAngel

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color that is hazed a bit and produced a modest white head that dissipates to a light layer covering the beer like a blanket. It has a very, very faint aroma with nearly no discernable aromas. This is a very unique characteristic, or lack there of from an awesome brewery. The taste reveals lightly sweet malt with a well-pronounced hop. It is light bodied and finishes with a slightly dry bitter. Not a great representation of the style, but it could be a great crossover beer to get a macro drinker familiar with hops without shocking their taste buds. Cheers!

02-14-2003 19:48:27 | More by BeerAngel
theghost3

Louisiana

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a straw color with a 2-finger yellowish head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is made up of yeast, amarillo and crystal hops--piney and floral. The taste is piney and flowery hops with juniper berries. Quite bitter. Medicinal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, light to medium-bodied.

This is fair in the drinkability area. The aftertaste is a little medicinal and if you don't like juniper berries, it's not for you. The hops make it worthwhile.

04-04-2010 03:28:12 | More by theghost3

07-30-2013 05:17:13 | More by Hardcore
cubedbee

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a thing white head that lingers for a while. Aroma is spruce and grapefruit hops over a big bready maltiness. Taste is a strong pale malt flavor followed by the piney hops and clean berry aftertaste which I'm assuming is the juniper. Medium bodied, very smooth, and just a slight hop oiliness, this is has a good mouthfeel. Not really familiar with juniper, I was apprehensive about this, but it's really just a solid APA with a slight berry taste--very nice.

07-08-2005 00:07:44 | More by cubedbee
Schmoog

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

12-29-2013 13:42:43 | More by Schmoog
sabrills70

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark gold, almost amber color. Not much head but good lace. The first whiff I got upon opening the bottle was a nice hop floralness. Once in the glass I also got the rich malt aromas and some slight citrus. Flavor is what I consider a standard craft pale ale, slightly carmelized malt followed by a slightly spicy hop flavor. Nothing special, but not macroized (if thats a word) either. A bit watery but that makes it more drinkable to me as I am not a huge hop head. All in all a decent beer but nothing special.

04-11-2005 01:14:06 | More by sabrills70
Kornoms

3.5/5  rDev -3%

09-01-2012 23:35:35 | More by Kornoms
ngandhi

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Rogue Yellow Snow Ale, despite its humble name, is immensely complex. The nose is light hops and rye. The ultimate flavor of the amarillos -- notes of citrus, pear, and mango -- shines through on every sip.

So, fine -- amarillo pale ales have been done and they're delicious, but who cares? Rogue uses this glorious hop as more than a flavoring agent. It's used to bring out the unique fruit of the juniper berry. And who would have ever thought, after having had handles upon fifths of Beefeater and, even, Bombay, that juniper had such rich flavor. It is, indeed, a berry that's found its long-lost soul mate in the amarillo hop. This pairing is more than commendable, it's downright holy. Sure, the initial taste is this weird leafy citrus and the finish (I seriously encourage you to burp) is fruity gin, but between these two extremes I taste saison, wheat, and crisp, oaky chardonnay. The beer begs for fish.

The flavor isn't as menacing as Old Crustacean, as precise as I2PA, or as rich as Morimoto Hazelnut. Yellow Snow is a dictum of creativity and subtle craft that challenges the drinker, the brewer, and beer en masse.

Relax, relax.
ng

11-20-2003 23:25:13 | More by ngandhi
UDbeernut

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

On tap poured into pint glass

a: hazy straw yellow color, minimal head that does reduce into lacing

s: citrus aroma and hops dominate

t: slight malt sweetness quicly overpowered by hop bitterness. Slight citrus bite. Very nice, definatlty for hop heads though

m&d: medium bodied, with decent carbonation. Can be a session beer if not imtimidated by hop bitterness

Cheers!!!

12-13-2008 21:06:21 | More by UDbeernut
inebrius

4.15/5  rDev +15%

First taste of Amarillo hops that I'm aware of, and I like 'em. Creamy full mouthfeel. Floral nose with a definite malt presence. A draught takes you through a wide range of flavor, but this beer's unique characteristic is the bitter juniper finish that sits on the back of your tongue for hours. I wanted to drink it out of a martini glass with a fat garlic stuffed olive rolling about.

05-10-2002 09:37:36 | More by inebrius
brewerburgundy

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, thanks Rogue, no freshness dating on the bottle. I have had it for at least a month in the fridge, so it's not super fresh.

Clear, light end of gold beer with a very lovely white, rocky head. Lots of it on the pour, nice retention, lacing, and clumpiness.

I'm definitely thinking this is not too fresh judging by the aroma, or lack thereof. The hops seem to have mostly disappeared. There's a solid pale malt base, nice graininess, and a subtle, cooling herbal note. I'm really digging at the moment, but it's not like a fresh pale ale. Oh, and of course the Pacman yeast.

The taste is essentially as I described the aroma. The evergreen, cool herb is perhaps more distinct and the grainy malt is very hearty.

Nice, medium weight in the mouth. Despite the head, the carbonation is medium-low.

I don't feel like this is an ideally fresh sample, but I know it has been treated well (refrigerated). The Juniper isn't overwhelming at all, in fact, it seems barely there to me, but it's nice.

03-29-2013 23:03:52 | More by brewerburgundy
BoitSansSoif

France

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

A-Poured a nice gold-bronze honey w/thick head that quickly dropped and left ok lacing.

S-Hop character w/hint citrus and floral notes, touch of fresh dirt and vegetation, and malt with overtones of a grain I can't identify.

T-Slightly sweet malt at attack, and palate opens up citrus flavors and I get the first trace of juniper berries which I probably wouldn't have identified if it wasn't written on the bottle, clean, dry finish with lingering bitterness. I think I'm also getting a bit of salt.

M-I really enjoyed the way this stuff went down...smooth and clean. It's an easy drink. Body is just right, carbonation is just right.

D-Not my favorite stuff, but this beer is still delightful. A double deuce goes down smoother than most twelvers, and it's enjoyable.

02-19-2008 14:12:48 | More by BoitSansSoif
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

06-22-2005 21:35:18 | More by fisherman34