Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a beautiful pale golden color with a nice creamy head and a clinging lace. Citrus aromas from th hops blend well with the piney smell from the juniper berries. Slick hoppy flavors with a nice gin like flavor from the juniper berries again. A very slick and refreshing mouthfeel to it that makes this beer extremely drinkable. Yet another great offereing from Rogue. A pale ale with a twist that definitely wouldn't be for everyone but if you like beer and you like gin then you will probably like this.

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale, golden color. Has a large, frothy head that dissipates slowly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells of citrusy hops backed by a juniper smell that reminds me of gin (my favorite liquor). Smells delightful...

Taste: The juniper and bitter hops hit you strong up front. As it develops, bready malts join the mix making for a well-balanced and interesting pale ale. Certainly unique...

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a nice carbonation bite to it.

Drinkability: A unique and fun-to-drink pale ale. The addition of the juniper gives this beer a nice kick to it that really sets it apart from your typical pale ale. I'd procrastinated in having this beer and am disappointed that I did. Say what you will about Rogue as a whole but this is a solid beer in my book.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

One finger white froth over transparent golden. Smells of grains and herbs. "Pale ale" doesn't much come to mind once I take a sip. There's a melding of spice, hay, grains, earth, and herbs. A little watery in the mouthfeel. Allowing the beer to sit for a while really brings out the junipers.

This is an interesting beer, but it's not something I really see myself buying again.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer poured a slightly orange, pale yellow color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer were citrus fruit hops, no berry smell whatsoever (I've never eaten a juniper berry, but I expect something)

T - The taste of this beer I wasn't too fond of, compared to other great APA's, this one was a little harsh. The overwhelming taste is an herbal bitterness is off putting, but there was enough of a citrus hoppiness to make it an ok beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was not a beer I would seek out again, to many other great APA's in the market

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Bomber.Hazy honey color with standard Rogue fluffly head. Good lacing. Aroma is of hops, juniper and pacman yeast.(gotta love that pacman). Medium bodied and smooth. A tad bitter and a slight watery taste. Maybe the least favorite I've had from Rogue. Nothing like any APA's I've had yet every Rogue is a new adventure.

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

A nice treat from Rogue, a little bit of variety. This nice pale ale has a good amber color, with a nice off white head. The smell is citrusy and piney, with some fruity notes that I imagine are the juniper berries. The malt also lends a creaminess and some caramel aromas. The taste offers the same notes as the smell, with more complexity, fruitiness, maltiness, creaminess, caramel, etc. The mouthfeel is medium and fairly full, and the drinkability is very good. This is easily sessionable. Recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Golden yellow color with minimal head, but what is there is bright white. Totally transparent. Lacing is somewhat present on the sides of the glass.

S- Sour hops. Also, some floral and citurs smells there, but not alot like most pale ales. Caramel is very light, but is also present.

T- Semi bitter hops. Citrus and florals are there as specified in the nose.

M- Low carbonation (possibly from the tap) and is oily.

D- Does not go one way or another. Just average to me.

Overall- Just Ok. Decent ale, but is somewhat watery to me. It may be because this was from the tap, but I will definitely give another try to distinguish if this is indeed true.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

G: Affligem Chalice

A: Clear gold without the yeast, cloudy with. 1.5 inch head with good retention leaving thick lacing.

S: Hops, citrus fruits, faint sweet malts and junipers.

T: Citrus fruits, junipers, fainty spices and sweet malts

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Dry bitter finish.

D: Interesting brew with the addition of the junipers, but not enough top wow me. Good, but I wouldn't spend the high price to try this again.

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

Hazy light brass color with a good head to go with it. Nose consisted of various items. Orange, lemon, ginger, junipers in the background. Citrus hops and pine hops come out of the woodwork as well. Taste is rather herbal and earthy with orange and spices coming together that work well together. Junipers come out in the finish and last into the aftertaste. I like how the flavors go together in this brew. Mouthfeel was mediumish with good carbonation. Almost seems to be a full bodied beer, but the carbonation sets is straight. Solid beer and perhaps one of Rogue's underrated beers.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales