Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,294 | Reviews: 679
3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm gonna make this one quick... hopefully...

pours a nice clear gold with a touch of opacity... but overall pretty clear. nice 2 finger head subsides very quickly. looks extremely refreshing, though I'd like to see a bit more lacing.

smells super refreshing as well... a touch estery with some faint hops. I don't pick up on the juniper very much at all... but it's sweet for sure.

wow!... green apple right at first and then some light bitter hops and the juniper come through... surprising how much juniper presents itself considering I didn't really pick it up on the nose. finishes a touch bready... it's nice.

a touch light, but overall pretty nice... a bit astringent.

I could drink a lot of this... for a really long time. Thanks for another solid showing, rogue!

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Less than 1 finger head quickly dissipates but leaves a good eggshell-color layer throughout. Lacing is all but nonexistent. Color is extremely clear, burnt honey color with lighter yellow around the edges. Great effervescent carbonation.

S - Juniper and hops hit immediately, sweet malts, some caramel. All pretty faint, not much to smell.

T - Malt body is fairly earthy, leaning towards sweet. Juniper berries and spicy hops predominate, finish is very reminiscent of gin. Overall is fairly balanced and very refreshingly crisp.

M - On the lighter side with a good amount of carbonation, but serves well to keep the hops and juniper berries lively.

D - Very refreshing and smooth, a unique and successful spin on the pale ale style.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Visual: Poured into a funky mason jar but still looks good. Dark copper-orange in color. Solid one-finger head with topo character that takes a a good 10 minutes to dip. leaves patchy lacing around glass.

Smell: Lemon grass, grains.

Taste: Grain and clementines complemented with a leafy, floral hop presence. grainy hop bitterness lingers.

Mouth: light feel in your mouth. low carbonation.

Drunkability: Lingering hop bitterness continually demands another drink so this brew could easily be a repetitive order.

Sidenote: what the hell is free range coastal water? is that worthy of advertisement?

2.88/5  rDev -20%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber poured into pint glass.

Pours golden with plenty of foam. Nose is of vanilla (or something to do with baking besides yeast), hops, and spice...seems pretty balanced. Just a touch of alcohol. Very crisp, spicy and actually quite light. Understated malt and hop flavor. Juniper is somewhat difficult to detect, although it's in there somewhere. Pretty good, definitely worth a try, but maybe not again any time soon. Not quite as much as I had hoped for especially for someone who likes gin as much as I do.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Bright gold with a nice frothy head. Head settled to just a sliver leaving plenty of lace.

S: Light hops with a hint of citrus and malt.

T: Pale malt, light hoppiness. Not much juniper, which was a bit of a disappointment.

M: Clean, crisp and smooth.

D: Easy to drink. I just wish that there was more juniper. Rogue brews some big flavors and I was surprised to find this was a bit ordinary.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy gold with a small white head and no lacing.

S: Biscuity malts and... corn? A little spicy hop character.

T: Unexpectly light on the malt flavor. More slightly biscuity and corn flavor. Quite a nice substantial spicy hoppiness. When it's cold, I'm getting very little juniper flavor. It's just there behind the hops. Remarkably close to a cream ale in my opinion--a little bit like a spicier version of Spotted Cow.

M: Very light and clean.

I'm really disappointed in the lack of juniper flavor in this beer, but moreover it's not really that great a pale ale.

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I liked it! Almost no head on the golden-amber colored ale. Nose had bread-like maltiness with a background of spiciness and piney juniper berries. Taste was the best part, a wonderful balance of malt, hop and spice. A honey, bread malt invites you in, followed by the spice, very piney-notes that come from the conifer juniper berries. The berries are completed with some gentle, but noticeable hops, floral and citrusy in nature like a weak IPA which really wrap it up to a crisp and slightly bitter end to balance out the malt and sweetness present throughout.

I disagree with all the average reviews, this juniper ale was a well-balanced, juniper pine spices were quite noticeable, which went great with the honey malt flavors and the hops at the finish. Worth getting again.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

A: Pale ale? Maybe a little haze, but this one is too golden and translucent to be called a pale ale in my book, so I got to take it down a notch. But I'd be lying to say this doesn't look crispy and delicious. Slight &
S: The slight gin flavor seems to broaden and deepen the hops while keeping everything somewhat muted.
T: You would expect a more interesting taste, but even so it's a nice, mellow flavor, even keeled and balanced.
M: Crispy, bubbly. Well-developed, but easily distinguished as an evolving flavor.
D: I drink a six pack of Sierra Nevada, and I'm feeling like I've eaten a big meal. These pale ales go down easy but leave your tongue wanting it bit more. Just to say it's not too heavy but has a somewhat satisfying taste.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into pilsner. Nice vanilla head with minimal lacing. nice and simple golden color. Smells good and malty with good hops. The taste is nice and buttery, maybe caramel. Lots of carbonation and very drinkable. regular mouthfeel. Overall nice beer, its a rogue what can I say. I recommend it to anyone.

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Small head, amber to red colour, slightly hazy.

Smell: Strong flowery hop aroma, raisins.

Taste: Not quite the intensity of flavour the nose suggested. Nice flowery hops and orange rind flavours. Cannot find the juniper berry flavours.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with faint tartness.

Drinkability/Notes: Kind of your run of the mill pale ale. Nothing to get too excited about, just a good drink. Reminds me of a not quite as powerful Anchor Liberty Ale.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Let's start with the good news. This is a really drinkable beer. Bitter without much hop aroma to balance. Light bodied and little aftertaste. Here's the bad news - not much taste. Really lacked in flavor. I didn't detect the slightest hint of juniper. Just a crisp beer with a slightly bitter finish.

Nothing exceptional or offensive about the appearance: pours a pale orange color with a 2 finger head that slowly dissipated.

Nice session beer actually, but I wouldn't go out of my way to sample this one.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Had a deeper orange color than previous pales, apricoty? Pretty much straight dry and hops. Something interesting about the hop notes. Managed to be light on the taste and mouthfeel like a lager but still having a nice kick of hops.

Refreshing and easy drinking but definitely stood out from the normal pale ale options.

If it were only available in six packs I'd start reaching for it instead of the other stand by pales.

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%

3/4/10, poured from 22-oz bomber into tall lager glass.

Mostly clear yellow-orange color with a big full foamy head that stuck around and had decent lacing. Smell is interesting, some citrus hops and a little sour fruit from the berries. Balanced taste, but lacked a little something vs what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is a little watery. Not bad, but lots of other Rogues I like better.

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

Rouge, is that kind of brewery that provides the kind of beers that make drinking fun and exciting. Sitting down with the bros? don't do just any beer, grab something that actually sparks conversation - like this one!

Honnestly, its not the best in all the world; or even in all the world of rouge's beer bible! BUT, this is a solid and intriguing brew.

Color - GOLD! Bright gold at that! With a very white head that sits for a few minutes, and then dissipates.

Smell - Nothing too out of the ordinary or off of what you would expect. Juniper, hops, nothing else matters.

Taste - Brilliantly blended flavors!Slight sweetness at first (especially in the head) decent hit of hops and spice. No trace of hard alcohol notes hardly - really well done blend.

feel - nothing crazy. Like any other Pale Ale really.

Overall - It's a hot day in NY; and this beer satisfies! Drinkable enough to enjoy when needing a cool refresher and interesting enough to keep me drinking. I think the brothers said it best: a good conversation beer! However, lets be real here, I cannot write it off as the best of anything.

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours a deep golden color. At first smell a nice floral hop aroma, also a nice white head. Super smooth a great balance of malt and hops. Leaves a small trace of hops between each sip. Lacing is minimal, but who cares when the beer is so tasty. A great selection awsome beer.

2.7/5  rDev -25%

I would not recommend this beer. The feel was assaulting and there was barely a hint of Juniper in it. I love Rogue and most of the beers I've had from them have been superb. That being said, you can't win them all and this beer is proof that even Rogue produces duds every once in a while.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Clear yellow-gold with a pillowy off-white head.

S: Surprisingly lacking in nose for a juniper beer. Hard to get much at all, not more than a bit of grain and a tinge of malt.

T: Very light biscuity malt and grainy backbone blending with hop counterbalance. Absolutely no hop bit, though. Really hard to taste any juniper berries and only a vague essence of herbality in the hop flavor that is present. Very smooth, though, I suppose.

M: Quaffable.

O: Drinkable and refreshing, but really not super exciting on the flavor front, especially for something as promising-sounding as a juniper pale. By no means bad, but far off the mark of either my favorite pale ale or herbed/spiced beer.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden color. Pale head with very little retention and very little lacing. Almost no visible carbonation.

Smell: Fruity and floral. Apple-like aroma.

Taste: Fruity and light with a slight apple flavor. No discernible pine flavor despite the juniper. Very dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, but highly carbonated.

Overall: Fruity and light. Not what I was expecting at all out of a winter seasonal brewed with juniper. Reminds me slightly of a witbier.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy dark-copper, decent whitish tan head. I didn't pick up much of a smell at all.

Taste is light and malty, and cascade hops are noticeably absent. It's a pleasant dry taste which adds a little more drinkability but at the expense of complexity. Fine beer even if you miss the hint of juniper berries like me, because I really don't know what they taste like.

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

poured from a bottle into a pint glass

hazy apple juice yellow with a thin large bubble head. smells pretty good, a little bit of crunchy fruit and a bit of grass - that might be the juniper - I'm not sure I would be able to pick out the juniper smell without knowing it was there already. likewise with the taste. i think i got some juniper flavor - but i was looking for it. tastes like a pilsner with a little bit of lawn clipping. i like it and would not turn one down, but as this isn't one of rogue's most common beers there will probably be something I'd prefer if I'm in a place that has it.

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

Served in pint glass.

Pours a clean, light amber. Eggshell head is dense and retains well. Noticeable carbonation throughout.

Aroma is very faint. Floral, oily hops and very mild juniper. Not much going on.

Taste is smooth and clean, with a tight malt sweetness and herbal and floral hop notes. Juniper is noticeable and quite pleasant. Finish was dry and a little harsh, seemingly due to both the juniper and an overbalance of hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Very crisp on the palate. Spiciness from the berries and the carbonation make for a nice combination.

I suppose it is drinkable. A tasty beer, for sure, but too unbalanced to be thoroughly enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- It pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head that leaves some lacing.

S- I get a lot of hops on the nose with a very faint hint of juniper.

T- For me it started out with a slight sweetness and I picked up a slight hint of the juniper berries before I got a crisp bitterness from the hops.

M- It had a light to medium mouthfeel with quite a bit of carbonation.

O- This is a pretty solid pale ale with a nice refreshing hop bitterness. Unlike some spiced beers the juniper berries are subtle, but play a nice role.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Harpoon pint glass

Appearance: pours a rich, hazy golden color with a thick white head and nice lacing

Aroma: fruity and estery for sure, definite juniper berry smell with small amount of citrus in the background

Flavor: sweetness, a little bit of piney hop flavor, nice medium bitterness for the style, definite fruity complexity in juniper flavor

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body, medium-high carbonation

Drinkability: nice, balanced ale with plenty of complexity but very refreshing and definitely drinkable

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

. It is a somewhat clear apple juice colored ale. The smell was very piney. I couldn’t get anything else out of it than pine. Taste wise, it is not as piney as it smells. It is a little malty and is pretty smooth. im not going to say this is a great beer, but it is pretty good.

www.yeastloveandhoppiness.com