Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Going into this I really did not know what a Juniper berry was...but that proved not to be too much of a problem...

The beer poured into a pint glass a golden color from a 22oz bomber(yeast sediment was visible through the bottle, but not so much in the beer), with carbonation that was visible throughout the entire drinking experience. It had a 1/4 inch or less head that was snow white, that disappeared quickly. The head left a bubbly white lace around the glass.
Smell was of strong herbal/citrus hops(but that might also be coming from the juniper berries) and a nice presence of slightly sweet malt.
Taste: this is a pale ale. The juniper part might turn people off thinking what they will, but it really is a nice american pale ale. The hops were present throughout the entire body, but the malt, which was very mellow and present mainly in the beginning and middle of the body, was there just enough to balance(but the hops was still the star quality). The finish was crisp, and almost clean but a herbal/spice flavor lingers for quite a while.
Mouthfeel/drinkability: more than moderate carbonation, medium bodied. I feel that this is more balanced than, but still representative of the american pale. Great american pale ale...I'm really glad I gave it a try...and will probably pick it up again.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer caught my attention just by the name. I never tasted juniper berries, so my curiosity got the best of me. Actually, it's Rogue. And I never had this before, so I bought it when I came across it.

Anyways, poured a dark golden body with a white head about three fingers wide. Leaving lacing around the glass as it was slowly consumed. A faint hopiness and a little sweetness to the nose. Hop bitterness is mellow and doesn't linger too long. I can't quite tell where the juniper is at, but this has a sweet flavor to it. Something I don't associate with Pale Ales. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and a little fuller than most beers of this style. This would make a good session beer. A very easy drinking beer.

4.32/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

** I am reveiwing this as Yellow Snow Ale

This beer is a clear amber color. There was a small white head. The smell is citrus like. There is a sweetness to the smell as well. The taste is is fairly bitter with a fair amount of lingering bitterness. The moouthfeel is incredibly smooth for the style. Pale ales are kind of hit or miss with me but this seems to be a pretty good one. The drinkability is good. I could easily session this beer. A easy drinking brew.

*Note: This beer was very good for a beer brewed roughly 4 years ago. One of the best I have had of the style.

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%

I was disappointed in this beer. I did not know what to expect from the juniper berries, but what I really did not expect was the disappearance of the hops. This does not taste like a Northwest Pale Ale to me. I am not a person who is stingy on style guidelines.

There is very little balance between the malt and hops. Almost no hop aroma is present. The beer is clean but dull. I guess that I was expecting a more robust beer from Rogue.

This beer doesn't get the props it deserves. It is a very interesting beer, listed as an Herb/Spice, but comes across like a badass Pale. Nice earthy florals on the nose, big hay-straw hoppy tongue.

No dates to indicate what, when, where, but I have a feeling it was pretty fresh. All its characteristics were very lively and very jumpy. I am not a huge fan of this style, but I did very much like this beer.

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Just so everyone knows, this was Yellow Snow, not Juniper Pale ale. Thats what the bottle told me. The old Rogue patriach in yellow garb with is black lab under his arm.

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance- A pour as hard as my pee yielded only a finger and a half head into my mug. After about halfway through drinking it, there was no foam to be seen as well as lacing. Color was a slightly hazy middle amber, copper wire color.

Smell- Amedium strength flora hop aroma. But I could tell a lot of these hops are from the northwest. Very punchy. Hop smell balanced very well with the bready malts.

Taste- Starts out like your average English pale ale, but with a more distinct hop character. This pale ale lets you know its there. It wants your attention. A watered down bread flavor quickly meets with the potent hop flavor. Not overdone with the hops though. Pretty good balance between the citric hop flavor of biting into a grapefruit and the rye bread flavor of the malt.

Mouthfeel- A little sharp on the bitterness and a slight hint of acidty. The malt makes a cameo on the palate. Mostly bitter and citice. A little one sided.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Good dark yellow color with a solid head with nice lacing left. Smell is much that of a usual pale ale nice crisp sweet malt with pleny of hop tones these being more of a piney and floral variety. The taste doesn't really hold any of the juniper berry qualities too strongly, if I wasn't really looking for it I might have missed it and dismissed it as hops. I would have liked it a little stronger to really display the juniper flavor. It has a good body and it is a very drinkable pale ale, I just wish they would take the bolder step and really go with the juniper.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

This was one I had heard about and never had the opportunity to buy, so when I saw a 1pt.9.6oz. bottle of the Yellow Snow, I had ot go for it. It poured copper-orange with a large white foamy head, which stuck around. It had the aroma of honey and malts, mild hoppiness, virtually nothing else.The taste was the same, lots of sweetness, malts and mild floral hops and yeasts. It was smooth and crisp, but a bomber of this was almost too much to drink by onesself. At the very least it was very interesting, and I once again applaud Rogue for branching out and trying something I hadn't seen before, and haven't seen yet.

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

The bottle blurb describes the beer as “saffron” color and I think that is pretty accurate. Good size head that never completely disappears – leaves some lacing. Sweet bouquet with some honey and a touch of pine underneath. The flavor has a lot of round malt tastes, not as piney as I was expecting (hoping) given the juniper berries, really no gin character. Perhaps slightly underhoped. Still, quite tasty. Mouthfeel is round and soft, with a delicate finish.

I bought this as Yellow Snow Ale not the Juniper as listed. This beer pours a very cloudy orange with a nice foamy 2 finger head that disappears quickly. The smell is a very strong malt scent,not alot of spices but the malt is huge.Taste wise, malt is the king.This whole beer is about malt.The m/f is light and the flavors are well balanced. This is an unsual beer,but very tasty.I've only seen this once,so if you see it,buy it.

4.34/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 650 ML bomber into a standard pint. I'm not sure which name came before the other, but the bottle I sampled was called Yellow Snow Ale (not Juniper Pale Ale as the database lists it), and featured the Rogue guy in red ski gear with a black labrador retriever.

Color is pale orange gold like apple cider. No head or lace to speak of.

The scent is sweet and floral. You get no hops in the nose of this ale which is surprising after tasting it.

Smooth malts and strong Earth hops make up the flavor profile, with a light juniper element accent. The hops finish strong and spicy.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a very cloudy golden/orange color. No visible particles like some cloudy beers, just cloudy. Small head dissipated quickly. No lacing.

Smells a little piney and orangey. I just realized that I have no idea what juniper smells like, so this could reak of juniper for all I know, but I wouldn't know. I've drank plenty of gin, but don't know if gin is supposed to smell like junipers and nothing else or what.

A little piney and flowery (I think that's the juniper) tasting, but not in an overwhelmingly hoppy way. There is sweet malt at first too, which is taken over by the flowery aspect that does actually remind me of gin. It comes on really strong in the finish for a moment and then quickly fades, leaving very little aftertaste. Crisp.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, slightly oily.

I like this. Fairly unique for a pale ale. This is an easy drinking and tasty beer. I'd like to pair one of these with a gourmet sandwich or salad.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

A clean light amber/orange beer. Has a big foamy white head and some lace. There is a very interesting cereal grain aroma with hints of corn in the background. Not what I expected from "juniper". as it warms there is a light floral character in the background. There is a creamy character to the mouthfeel. The flavor is mostly a cereal grain maltiness with a light floral bitterness on the finish.

3.09/5  rDev -14.2%

Perfectly clear copper with a light white head. Not much aroma really, just some light grassy hops with a hint of sweetness. Lightly sweet flavor with a crisp hop finish. Slightly dry with a medium mouthfeel. Pretty refreshing, just nothing too exciting.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a golden color with a 1 inch head. The juniper berries are evident in the smell. Juniper again dominates the taste but is not overpowering. The mouthfeel is good. There is a slight hint of hops but not overpowering like most of Rogue's brews. All in all this is not a spectacular beer but has very good drinkabilty and I'll buy it again.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Hazy light brass color with a good head to go with it. Nose consisted of various items. Orange, lemon, ginger, junipers in the background. Citrus hops and pine hops come out of the woodwork as well. Taste is rather herbal and earthy with orange and spices coming together that work well together. Junipers come out in the finish and last into the aftertaste. I like how the flavors go together in this brew. Mouthfeel was mediumish with good carbonation. Almost seems to be a full bodied beer, but the carbonation sets is straight. Solid beer and perhaps one of Rogue's underrated beers.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

a: Pale golden in color. Head is not thick but lasted through my whole beer.
s: decent amount of hops but nothing overpowering...seemed to be well balanced
t: smooth and delightful...not over hopped with altitle hint of sweetness from the malt and juniper...
m: as i said it was smoooth
d:a very drinkable...its a nice and easy to drink pale ale...not for the hopped up american drinker i'd say but its def worht a try...right on!!!

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A decent flavored pale ale, but nothing to write home about.

Pours a medium gold/copper in color, slightly hazy with notable carbonation. Has a thick fizzy white head that receded into a thin cap halfway through the pint. Nose is quite hoppy, lots of floral aromatics. Taste is also hoppy with a thick oily malt body. The juniper isnt very noticable, slightly spicy in the aftertaste but I'm thinking the hops really overtook the flavor overall.

Slàinte!

Pours cloudy amber with a short off-white head. Looks like a pale ale should. Smell: Bright, fresh hops upfront backed up by a mellow malt sweetness. Taste: Nice crackery yeasts upfront, followed by a narrow hop bitterness that rapidly turns citrusy, even juicy; the finish lasts long as and pulls out some piney accents and an even more pronounced malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is clean with enough weight to hold itself down.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into pilsner. Nice vanilla head with minimal lacing. nice and simple golden color. Smells good and malty with good hops. The taste is nice and buttery, maybe caramel. Lots of carbonation and very drinkable. regular mouthfeel. Overall nice beer, its a rogue what can I say. I recommend it to anyone.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

This is an alright beer. Looks nothing special when poured. Very light golden and quite clear. Has a good carbonation, but a really weak fizzy white head that doesn't last long.

The aroma is distinctly Rogue. Has the caramel-and-buttery-as-all-hell Rogue smell, which I've been lead to assume is a trademark of the Pac-Man yeast. I was hoping for more of a Juniper hint to it, but alas it smells like caramel popcorn and nothing more.

The taste is better. Starts off with some grainy, malty notes and quickly fades into the caramel and butter with a light juniper finish. Still, I could have asked for a more definitive juniper flavor, but at least it shows up in this case. The hops are very difficult to taste, but they can be sensed through a nice bitter in the back.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin and prickly. Despite its flaws, it is actually quite a drinkable beer. I probably will not buy more, but I didn't have a problem sucking this down.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bomber. "Yellow Snow Ale" printed on the bottle.

Somewhat hazy gold color, lots of carbonation clearly seen streaming from the bottom. Head is off-white and holds decently enough, leaving bits of lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is somewhat musty malts with some light spices thrown in as well. Taste is actually floral hops up-front with some piney & spicy notes..all resting on a dusty malt profile typical of many Rogue beers. The juniper doesn't do anything for me other than try and be a purposeful off-flavor. Very clean finish and smooth all the way down. Not a bad offering from them, and an interesting pale ale, but I've had much better from Rogue.

650 ml bottle. Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale, aka Yellow Snow Ale, Pours out a hazy amber color with little head. The aroma is sugar, malt, west coast hops, honey, and ginger. Malty flavor, but not as strong as I expected from the aroma. Strong hop flavor, but it doesn't completely overwhelm the malty sweetness. In fact, this beer has good balance. A little bit of a fruity flavor. Perhaps some juniper flavor, but it could be my imagination. Very much a Rogue beer in flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability. This is a nice pale ale, as I have come to expect from Rogue.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

The Juniper Pale Ale was a light, slightly transluscent gold/yellow beer in color with a half inch head. There was some streaky lace. It had a nice floral bouquet that lead into a slightly sharp initial taste that led into elements of fruit and evergreen with some malt sweetness. The evergreen and fruit tastes lasted into and throughout a dryish flavorfull finish. I had this beer paired with the gumbo at the Rogue brewery and it pretty much held its own.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased this for a beer tasting under the title Yellow Snow Ale, which really caused a few bits of laughter with the crowd. Paid only $4.99 for a 500 mL bottle. A bit on the disappointing side for a Rogue brew. Lighter in color and taste, this one never screamed anything too exciting to me. Okay head and carbonation, no real lacing on the glass. Would like to try on tap, however.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales