Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a nice cloudy gold with a good head dissipates quickly but remains as a fine partial layer.

Smell is malty with citrus notes.

Taste is malt and more of the citrus. For me, it's a nice taste that I've enjoyed many times before and I'll have again without a whim. Good pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

From an elder bottle prior to the Juniper Ale conversion.

A - Pours a foggy pilsner color, with a touch of orange. A little head that falls with decent lacing.

S - A bit or light fruit, a bit of wheat, not a terribly stong nose, nor would I expect it to be.

T - Very, very light. Only with hints of wheat and apricot and orange, this beer while perhaps not worsened with age, has lost a bit of flavor.

M - Light and a little tingly, has an almost champagne like feel to it.

D - I'd have to rate the drinkability at a later time for sake of a newer beer, but not bad even as such.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

I like most Rogue beers I've tried, especially because they come in unique 22 oz. bottles. But you can barely find them in Philly bars. However, Flat Rock Saloon in Manayunk had this so I poured it into a glass and drank away.

The taste of the juniper was fairly subtle, which I guess is a good thing, because I know gin is flavored this way, which I really don't like much (gin I mean). I rated the taste average, because the hops weren't pronounced enough to call this a pale ale, at least not to me.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

The golden yellow colored pour, out of the 22. oz. bomber labeled Yellow Snow Ale, was attractive due to lots of carbonation and a thin but lasting head. The smell was sweet and perfumey, with a hint of wood. The taste was bready and sweetish, with a mineralized buttery flavor typical of English Pale Ales. Hops were earthy and spicy, and the juniper berry taste was not quite evident until the sediment was poured in. At that point a spruce like bitterness crept in, which I presume was due to the herbs used. Mouthfeel was crisp initially, but became much softer and thicker after the yeast pour. A very sessionable beer far superior in complexity to its other Pale Ale brethren that clock in around 5.2% ABV. For some strange reason, not distributed in Georgia.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

22oz bottle picked up during a June Rogue SFO trip.
Pours a hazy, goldish, orange. Smells of malt and citrusy hops, neither one to excess, creating a nice balance. Tastes of a faint honey sweetness along with a minimal hop bitterness and malt smoothness, with a crisp, tart bite at the finish. Different from other Rogue brews, but good just the same.

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured out a 22 oz. bottle.
A: Orange/amberish, bronze-almost copperish color with a head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thin, sticky, white head throughout. Decent lacing.
S: The smell left some wanting-piny, floral, earthy aroma with a malt back. Not as pungent as I was hoping.
T: Hoppy floral beginning with malt middle and a bitter balanced ending. Ends with a juniper-like bitterness and dryness to offset the malt. Balanced, but I was expecting more.
MF: Medium to full mouthfeel.
Overall: A decent selection from Rogue, but I was expecting more. Not their strongest brew, but worth a try nonetheless.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Of all of the Rogue offerings I have had so far, this is my least favorite. Although I love the Pacman yeast, that alone wouldnt save this beer.
A nice head formed on the top but was quickly evaporated into nothing.
The only thing I know about junipers is that it is a prevalent ingredient in gins; Bombay sapphire being my favorite. I couldnt detect any juniper or gin smell from the beverage. With no juniper aroma, how could it be called a juniper ale?
The taste was that of a typical pale ale. No juniper, but a nice hop flavor and a nice yeast flavor. No matter what I do, I cant help but like the Rogue yeast flavor, and it always stands out to me.
Average mouthfeel and a pleasant drinkability. May try this once more but would most likely go for another Rogue offering.

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours a deep golden color. At first smell a nice floral hop aroma, also a nice white head. Super smooth a great balance of malt and hops. Leaves a small trace of hops between each sip. Lacing is minimal, but who cares when the beer is so tasty. A great selection awsome beer.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%

I used to drink this when it was called Yellow Snow ale, and I seriously had no idea that it had juniper berries in it because I couldn't taste anything fruity- and that's still the case. Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with practically no head. Aroma is balanced, with some citrusy hop flavors and a good amount of malt showing through. Taste is really balanced too, which makes this a good beer to introduce non-BAs into craft beer. The hops I would say are a little more powerful than the malt, with a lemony taste still on my tongue 10 minutes after finishing, but not over powering hop flavor like Hazed and Infused. An above average pale ale.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

07/27/05- Purchased at the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dating. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- 1/2 inch foamy white head. Just the tad bit of cloudyness in the golden pour. Excellent lacing.

Smell- Picked up a noticeable amount of fruity hops as well as a heavy yeast scent.

Taste- Taste reflects smell almost identical. Very hoppy with a very fruity base. Light malt intertwined. Reminescent of the yeast used in Pyramid brews, but better tasting. No juinper berry taste detected. Doesn't taste like the Yellow Snow Ale at all.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation.

Drinkability- Perfectly fine Pale Ale almost towards an IPA. Nice and fruity and refreshing.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a thing white head that lingers for a while. Aroma is spruce and grapefruit hops over a big bready maltiness. Taste is a strong pale malt flavor followed by the piney hops and clean berry aftertaste which I'm assuming is the juniper. Medium bodied, very smooth, and just a slight hop oiliness, this is has a good mouthfeel. Not really familiar with juniper, I was apprehensive about this, but it's really just a solid APA with a slight berry taste--very nice.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

this beer is bangin. its a fine lookin brew, hazy sunset with a big frothy head. smells spicy, citrus up in hurr, a touch herbal, a pinch piney...im hyped. taste? good. very good. big and malty, yes its hopped but not intensly so like some rogues. a bit grainy with an awesome spicy hit. different than your ordinary pale. medium in the mouth, yet fullfilling in all areas. an outstanding beer, beautiful and tastey...my new favourite "pale ale".

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

My first taste under the new label and name. Sure, it was a cute, clever, if crude name for a winter spiced seasonal, but vulgarities only get you so far in the wider world. Who can take a beer seriously, when it's named after something you wouldn't want to eat or drink? So, goodbye Yellow Snow, hello, Juniper Pale Ale...

Very cloudy orange appearance, bedecked with a fresh, full head, softly settling.

Citric aroma, orange, tangerine, lemon, met well with spice, ginger, juniper, and a hint of spruce? Or am I imagining things? It's sweet and pleasant, though, ...bready, malty presence is felt and makes itself known in this mix...sweet and spicy, just like I like it!

Taste: smooth, fruity entrance on the palate, very slick and easily quaffed...great balance here, fruit and spice have melded and are backed up by malt...this is a unique beer, fit for any occasion, but best suited for impressing non-beer-loving friends to jolt them from their preconceptions.
Very tasty, medium-bodied, with a light, fruity finish.
Would go great as with food or as an after-dinner aperitif, or just on it's own as a special treat.
Damn nice beer, no surprise, from Roque.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer after its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a translucent golden amber color with a monsterous creamy light tan head that lingers long, leaving a thick and sticky sheet of lace to obscure the glass. Nose has a nice malt sweetness, spicy, grass like, with a slight hint of Juniper, fresh and clean to the senses, start is sweet with a moderate grain profile and the top thin to medium in feel. Finish has a brisk acidity with the hops spicy and pleasing to the palate, quite dry and somewhat bitter aftertaste, a drinkable beer, but not one of Rogue’s better offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours from the 22 ounce bottle a nice faintly hazy, yellow amber color with a breifly dense off white head. Head quickly falls, leaving a veil and scattered lace.

The nose is average, certainly not very Roguey, with aromas of grapefruit, pine, honey malts, and buttered bread. Malt is the dominant aroma here.

The flavor is somewhat better. There's a golden malty entrance that is quickly taken over by floral at first, then light grapefruit and pine hops. Only in the aftertaste (especially the burps) do I detect any solid juniper flavors. There's just enough there to remind you it's in there. Tastes hoppier than 35 ibu's.

The body is crisply medium, with small dancing bubbles resulting in a fluffy mouthfeel. The finish is very hoppy and bitter with grapefruit peels and juniper. A decent beer, worth trying. But just a notch below what I am accustomed to from these guys.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Deep golden in color with faint haze, a half-inch white head, which retains well, and lots of patchy lacing. An occasional fat bubble rises lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Pronounced aroma of pine hops, herbal notes, a hint of grapefruit, and a mild evergreen note, with sweet light malt beneath.

Taste: Opens with a sweet malt note, this forms an undercurrent for the taste. Soon after there are toasted malt and caramel flavors. Notes of pine, herbs, and grapefruit soon assert themselves, although mildly. Towards the finish, there is a slightly earthy, woody note. Finishes with a mild, lingering medicinal bitterness.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, rich and full, quite soft, excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A surprisingly good beer, remarkable for its subtlety and complexity, it greatly exceeded my expectations.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce brown glass bomber with a pop off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Orange-amber color and has a big white head. Head retention is good. Smells big and malty with some hop bitterness. I do not really detect and berries of any kind. Taste balanced. Has a big maltiness followed buy a oily hoppy aftertaste. Great drinkability!

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%

Golden with a tight white head. Kind of cloudy. Reminds me of a homebrewed pale ale.

Floral with shortbread malt scents. Smells very nice and clean, but not very "roguey."

Sweet, sweet malt! Low hopping, I think for a rogue. Pehaps just low hopping for me. There is just a touch of juniper in the finish. To honest, I wouldn't have picked it out except that I know its there. It rounds out the flavor very nicely and lifts this beer from a nice, standard pale ale into a better class.

Fairly low carbonation with a nice medium full body. Very nice and satisfying after a night at work.

I could drink this all night. Low ABV with low hops equals a great session beer.

A really well crafted brew! Buy it. Too bad its not called yellow snow anymore.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours with a fluffy tan head which settles pretty quickly. The color is a murky deep yellow-orange haze. The nose is nice, a touch of honey, malt.. but the spices, juniper..? very faint. I think if this is going to be a spiced ale it could be alot more forward in that aspect of the profile. Right away the taste reminds me of caramel and citrus fruits, followed by raw honey into a medium bitter finish. The balance, honeyish and citrusy without being overly sweet, goes to its credit in my book. The mouthfeel is interesting. Full, seems almost heavy, coating the mouth, yet it feels alot like soft spring water too. Smooth, soft, somewhat sweet. This is a fairly drinkable pale ale, and the price is also very reasonable.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark gold, almost amber color. Not much head but good lace. The first whiff I got upon opening the bottle was a nice hop floralness. Once in the glass I also got the rich malt aromas and some slight citrus. Flavor is what I consider a standard craft pale ale, slightly carmelized malt followed by a slightly spicy hop flavor. Nothing special, but not macroized (if thats a word) either. A bit watery but that makes it more drinkable to me as I am not a huge hop head. All in all a decent beer but nothing special.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%

I appreciate the concept inherent in this herbal beer; however, this ale is less charismatic than most of Rogue’s other efforts. Juniper Pale Ale (also known as Yellow Snow) is clouded chamomile color with a relaxed sudsy head and broad draping lace. It tastes like a clean and handsome pale ale in a curious juniper dress. An agreeable curiosity and a welcome diversion, but not a standout on Rogue’s roster.

22 oz brown bomber, capped. "Rogue Yellow Snow Ale"

This pale ale poured a clear, golden color with off--white foam that settled. The smell was very malty with a very good mix of bitter and floral hops and faint juniper spiciness. The taste was first and foremost a pale ale: pale malt with a nice mild hop bitterness and some fruity hops and floral hops. The juniper was barely noticeable, but was there if you concentrated. There was the faintest taste of alcohol as well. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium body and low to moderate carbonation feel. This ale was relatively clean overall. This was a rather nice pale ale with a little something extra. Yellow Snow Ale is an odd name for a beer, however, but I see from Rogue's web site that they changed the name to Juniper Pale Ale in Jan. 2005.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales