Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep gold with not a very large head (although I might have chilled it too much).

Aroma is malty, earthy hops, and some tobacco. The bottle claims that this brew is made with juniper berries, but I did not detect any in the nose or in the taste.

Taste has a nice malt characteristic, very earthy hops take over, and leave a somewhat oily aftertaste. Again, I could not detect any junipers. It's a shame, that's what initially drew me to this beer. Prickly and somewhat (surprising) full mouthfeel.

Somewhat disappointing. This had all the makings of an interesting beer, but all in all is rather pedestrian.

Admiraldinty, Dec 06, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Saffron colour with no head. A ring of lace settles where the beer sets for a little while. Despite that, no lace at all. Smells of malt, gin, dry hops and cigar leafs. Is tobacco brewed in this beer? Tastes okay. Earthy, tobacco and gin taste mellowed out by a sweet malt character. Mouthfeel is a little too astringent. This was my first beer from Rogue. I was disappointed. It's actually a bit of a bland beer. Personally, I find very little to write about it. Yeah, it was drinkable. But this is one beer I won't be purchasing. Hopefully, my next Rogue experience will be a much more pleasing one.

slitherySOB, Dec 02, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a cloudy dark-copper, decent whitish tan head. I didn't pick up much of a smell at all.

Taste is light and malty, and cascade hops are noticeably absent. It's a pleasant dry taste which adds a little more drinkability but at the expense of complexity. Fine beer even if you miss the hint of juniper berries like me, because I really don't know what they taste like.

heinekenike, Nov 28, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Hazy yellow/orange colour topped by an off-white, fizzy head. The aroma is a combination of light bready maltiness and floral/citrusy hops, with just a hint of what I believe are the juniper berries. Starts with some fruity sweetness that quickly leads into hop bitterness. The finish leaves the palate dry and has a resinous piney quality that lasts for quite some time. Medium/light body that stars strong but ends up a little thin towards the finish. Medium carbonation that's a little coarse with a slick mouthfeel. A metallic character at the finish builds over the course of the bottle. Juniper berries do give it a distinctive flavour.

Brown 650 mL bottle with freshness date printed on the side of the bottle.

DrJay, Nov 21, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

A bit of a gimmicky name, so I didn't expect much from this beer. Pours a dark yellow with a light thin head that disappears quickly. Limited lacing on the glass is from the initial head.

Smell is pretty light. A very little bit of hops and spice is all I detected.

Taste is a great moderately spicy combination of hops and juniper berries (although I never would have guessed this) with a good malt center. The spicy juniper lasts well after the beer is gone, but while it is still in the glass it contributes to an enjoyable taste that complement the hops bite. I really enjoyed this one.

Mouthfeel is quenching and drying with nice dry aftertaste.

I could drink this one all the time and never tire of it. It disappeared quicker than I would have liked.

silenius, Nov 20, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

22oz. bomber with the signature painted label. The pour revealed an interesting clouded golden-orange ale with a nice 1 finger tight fluffy cap and tiny spiraling bubbled carbonation. The nose is a pleasant fragrant hop bouquet..floral, grassy, fruity, with a sweet undertone.( I’m reminded of anchor liberty here) Front side is a mellow blast of sweet malts and fruity/floral hops in almost perfect balance...peaches and pine, apricots and sweet dough...wonderful layered tastes...medium bodied, silky with some substantial malts...moderate finish where the creamy-peach-doughy impression gives way to a slow metallic drying with a fruity very drinkable character. I like this better than Anchor Liberty.It would be my standard session ale if it were available here...recommened for those who like a fruit character in an aromatic ale.

pootz, Nov 20, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Eye Candy: Hazy translucent copper with thick fluffy white head. Individual rising lines of slow rising carbonation. Superb hop clumping and lacing throughout.

The Nose Knows: Sweet malt (kindof similar to Saranac IPA) with crisp piney finish. As it warmed, initial honey-like finished with fruity notes.

Tongueland: Initial piney hops with sweet malts buried underneath. Again, similar to Saranac IPA ininitial taste, Rogue m/f is fuller and more complex in flavor. Smooth and full, danced around mouth and tongue. Honey-like sweet middle that finished peppery. Aftertaste is of a good gin. Interesting transition of flavors.

Bender Factor: Solid to style intrepretation. It isn't an IPA, keep that in mind. Solid session brew, almost to drinkable. However, with Saranac readily available (and cheaper), this won't be a regular in my cart. Still, the compexity of the flavor range netted it a 4.5.

wailingwench, Nov 20, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours gold, not really yellow, with spicy and toasty hop aroma. Fairly light bodied with some great zesty hop flavors, spread on top of a toasty malt backdrop. The finish is crisp, almost sweet, with residual light spiciness of hops. This is a good lighter pale ale, but I fail to detect the presence of the juniper berries listed as an ingredient on the bottle. This beer should be a little more complex given all the ingredients silk-screened on the side of the bottle. Still a good beer, though.

marcobrau, Nov 08, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Light amber with a white head not much lacing. Aroma is malt with hops citrus dominates but also some earthy floral also nice west coast aroma little subdued though. Flavor is malt with a nice hop flavor citrus flavors coming thru but not overpowering nice earthy lightly bitter finish. Not as hoppy as some pale ales which I like but little sweet with a good hop flavor would be a good cross over beer. I enjoyed it mediumish mouthfeel a nice little ale very drinkable.

mntlover, Nov 01, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Pleasant pale, hoppy, creamy like an icemaker's beverage. Mild, some watery mouthfeel. Cloudy Yellow appearance. Good floral and spice aroma. Good example of APA. Popular import into Ontario. Interesting dry edge from Juniper berries. Easy drink. Another good balanced brew from Rogue.

Sammy, Oct 17, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy dark yellow with big bubble carbonation and medium-small soapy white head.
smell is somewhat malty and lightly oily. Faint sweet citrus.
Taste is soft at first with medium bitter finish. some soft fruit flavors that I can't identify but there are no flavors that really stand out.
mouthfeel is medium/thick and soft for a pale ale. i like this aspect of the beer.
Overall this is a fair pale ale. So far this is my least favorite Rogue Ale. It seems very status quo for a Rogue beer.

jwilli7122, Oct 13, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Am I the only person that thinks the guy on the Rogue labels looks a lot like George Clooney? I digress...the beer poured a deep, yellow amber with a delicate lace. The first nose-blast was soapy dishwater, followed by floral and hop scents.

The taste was indicative of APA's and seems to me to be a very good example of the type. The mouthfeel is standard and I'm sure most APA fans would find it highly drinkable. I'll keep my stouts and porters thankyouverymuch.

Guinness4me, Sep 20, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber topped with a two finger pillowy white head. Leaves webs of lacing.
Great robust aroma, citrus, juniper, wood, herbs and toffee.
Fruity, grapefruit, herbs, very leafy, juniper, some caramel under all the hops, biscuit malt.
Medium to full bodied, just a great and interesting take on the APA.

mschofield, Sep 17, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

From a 22 oz. bomber comes a cloudy copper or bronze beer with a thin white foamy head. The head disappeared a little too quickly for me, however there was a fair amount of lace on the glass. Smells citrusy like lemon zest and oranges, slightly herbal and piney. It says juniper, and juniper can be smelled. Suddenly, I am thinking of Christmas for some reason. Nice malt flavor, which seems to be shallow compared to the hops and spices. The hops seem kind of musty, followed by some slight spicyness, and a hint of what I would again call Christmas Tree flavor. Fair amount of carbonation. Overall, this is an interesting brew. It may be a bit unbalanced if you care about that. Maybe not the most drinkable over a session, but a good beer nevertheless.

Bierguy5, Sep 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

This bomber bottle pours a chill hazed, apricot body with a prominent, ivory head that finally stabilizes at about two cm. Gorgeous, patch lace decorates the imperial pint glass I am enjoying this in. Massive presence of small, carbonation bubbles rising to the surface is duly noted.

Interesting aroma that begins with a Munich maltiness, earthy English hops which evoke a meadow suitable for grazing livestock, and some fresh bales of hay to accompany said livestock. At room temperature, the nose is closer to a British style ESB malt note.

Mouthfeel is rather average, light to medium bodied, with good carbonation.

Taste: Hops dominate the beginning, with earthy hay and bitter grass. The juniper berries are definitely noticed, but not in the sense of gin. They meld into the unique hops profile to produce a citrusy, mandarin orange/tangerine, bitter, tartness that is quite tasty. As this Rogue approaches room temperature, a delicate and complex balance emerges between the hops and malts that makes this seem very English, in style. A hybrid between a British pale ale and bitter comes to mind. The bittersweet, dryness that the juniper berries contribute adds a bonus to the complexities present here.

I like this one a lot. One of the most drinkable Rogue ales that I've sampled. Highly recommended.

merlin48, Jun 26, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured to a very bright gold and yellow color. I can see where the name comes from. The head was fluffy and it left a great fluffy lace to match.

The smell was strong but in a pretty traditional fashion. The taste gave something similar, but with a pretty good kick in the finish. Up front it was full of hops, much like the St Rogue Red.

It's good stuff, but it could probably be toned down a little bit. It's not too far from being great.

watermelonman, Jun 16, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Once again, ROGUE earns BA brownie points for the painted label, and a most informative label that says it all with 34 IBU rating, gravity and listing all 10 ingredients.

Unfiltered wheat appearance, with a solid white head.

Floral hops and grassy nose.

Bright clean hps flavor. Three blended hops, and a lemonade citrus that as per the label is juniper. Prevailing hops are reminiscent of cascade and canibus like notes.

A tad cidery in the feel. Cloudy particles add to a good mouth sizzle.

Too high of an ABV to be a real drinker, but an overall good ROGUE.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Jun 12, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

tavernjef, Jun 04, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured very cloudy and orangey-yellow. Alot of head quickly dissapated into light and fluffy bubbles. Looks similar to natural, unfiltered apple cider. Scents of fruits and perfume. Tastes of hops and pepper, juniper berry -taste of gin... Good flavor. Was kind of worried about trying this one, as it listed styrian hops, and I have noticed that I just plain dislike them -find those beers skunky, but did not notice the styrian in here. I have always enjoyed Rogue, and this one fits right in. Nice drinkability.

shapudding, May 30, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

andyo, May 20, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer gushed out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, but didn't seem overly foamy as I poured it into the glass. Rich, lemony orange-amber with a small amount of haze. The bone white head is medium in size and softly undulating on top as it descends. Not much lace, which is odd for a Rogue beer.

The nose is quite nice. I expected it to smell like juniper berries (what gin is flavored with), but it doesn't. It smells citrusy, though not really like an IPA or an APA. It's more on the order of pineapple and candied lemon peel. The flavor isn't all that wonderful. The aroma translates well to the palate, but there's also an earthy, spicy, intense herbalness that I don't find all that enjoyable. Not bad, but if the flavor followed the nose more closely, this would be a better beer.

There's a dry, crackery malt base with a softly bitter contribution from the hops and the flavors that I just described. The finish is dry, bitter and lemony, leaving the tongue absolutely clean. The body is medium, generally speaking, but there's too much carbonation (hence, Mount Juniper on crown cracking).

Juniper Pale Ale is interesting beer, but isn't one that I'll pick up again. I give Rogue credit for trying something different, but this one doesn't rise to the level of some of their other, better known, offerings.

BuckeyeNation, May 08, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

Deep straw-yellow in color, creamy white head. Very clear and very appealing.

Malty nose. British scents--somewhat faint. Good malt smell, though.

Very delicious. Creamy, malty and smooth. Juniper berries gives the beer a near perfect spice. Nice low-medium bitter on the back of tongue. Really, an exceptional flavor.

Body is a touch too thin. Could be a little thicker to compliment the wonderful malt flavor.

I could drink three 22s without thinking. Easy.

jonnylieberman, Apr 30, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I picked up a 22oz bomber of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. It pours out a slightly murky, transparent golden-amber. A respectable, big bubbly head rolls up a good two fingers breadth. Carbonation bubbles are big, lazy and sparse.

Piney hops are big on the nose, and I swear I think I can smell those Juniper berries. Other than that I detect the sweet underlying scent of the malt.

Taste is lead off richly by sweet, creamy, flat malts. Piney hop flavor takes over and rides it out to the end. The aftertaste is dry and slightly spicy. Mouthfeel is medium light and very crisp on the palate.

I like this one a lot, both the idea of it, and the taste. I nice switch up from a standard pale ale. I really regret not trying this on draft when having the chance. There’s always next time though.

FormatKid, Apr 24, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow brew that is almost electric yellow.

Smell is mild malt and a mild sour scent.

Taste is very hoppy with a load of bitterness up front. The Grapefruit flavor of cascade hops starts to come out. It looks like a pilsner but tastes like an IPA.

Mouthfeel is good.

OK drinkable, but an unbalanced brew. I would pick a Stone Pale Ale or Sam Adams Winter Lager over this.

Zorro, Apr 21, 2004

It pours a slighty hazy sunny gold, fairly carbonated and glinting in the light. Three fingers of dense white head grows and shrinks in a quick cycle. Slick lacing slides a bit, then clings to the glass.

In the aroma, a light malt sweetness twists around a dry perfume of grapefruit and berries. A butterscotch undercurrent surfaces toward the end, and lingers gently.

Upon sipping, a prompt mild malt sweetness is cut short by a stout current of almost pulpy grapefruit. A twist of butterscotch populates the middle. A duet of yeast/grain doughiness and bitter hop fruit notes works toward the end. The finish is carried by more hops bitterness and a vague grassiness. Balanced and basic, it comes across as fresh and fun.

Between light and medium bodied, there's just enough consistency to leave the flavor elements on the palate. The hops linger with a glowing tingle on the tongue.

The lighter malt profile blends rather uniquely with the solid hops character, making it different and quite good. The sweetness is milder than the hops would lead you to expect, in anticipation of balance, and the surprise is worthwhile. The basic elements are cleverly balanced, and refresh rewardingly, making another a virtual certainty. A fresh departure from so many more complex beers, it's proud of its simplicity, as it should be. And so I'll watch out where those huskies go, because I'll likely want to drink more of that Yellow Snow.

Foxman, Apr 20, 2004