Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

The Juniper Pale Ale was a light, slightly transluscent gold/yellow beer in color with a half inch head. There was some streaky lace. It had a nice floral bouquet that lead into a slightly sharp initial taste that led into elements of fruit and evergreen with some malt sweetness. The evergreen and fruit tastes lasted into and throughout a dryish flavorfull finish. I had this beer paired with the gumbo at the Rogue brewery and it pretty much held its own.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased this for a beer tasting under the title Yellow Snow Ale, which really caused a few bits of laughter with the crowd. Paid only $4.99 for a 500 mL bottle. A bit on the disappointing side for a Rogue brew. Lighter in color and taste, this one never screamed anything too exciting to me. Okay head and carbonation, no real lacing on the glass. Would like to try on tap, however.

Appearance - This beer pours orange-amber with a white, two finger head exhibiting moderate retention and heavy lacing.

Smell – Fresh nutty, fruity esters (maybe actual fruit smell from the juniper berries) mix with a nice malt undernose.

Taste - This beer tastes very fresh – The Golding and Amarillo hops impart a combined spicy-citric hop bitterness combination that is really great. Tastes of honey and slight fruit come in and out of play. Orange-peel-ish. The finish is moderately long and dry; somewhat tannic.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is clean, coarse, and medium-bodied.

Drinkability – Great pale ale. Solid beer.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Light copper in hue and slightly orange. Very small head, but excellent stick and lacing.

First whiff is malty. Second whiff was very floral with some hops, lavender and juniper. Not nearly as hoppy as I imagined it might be, but still some strong hop aromas.

A very smooth beer on the palate. Very good.

Taste has hops in the front, evening out in the back to some floral notes and malt. Nice balance on this one.

I'd buy it again.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Smooth pour with very little head. Deep amber color; inviting. This beer is made using juniper berries and I smell a variety of scents: spicy, piney, citrusy. This beer is smoothly balanced and fits the style well.

This beer is light and goes down easy with a dry finish. This is a relaxing beer to drink. With just a 650 ml bottle, I'm disappointed that this is the only I have at the moment. The price ($3.99) is reasonable for such a quality brew.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Cloudy apricot colored with an orangey white head that dissipates quickly. Faint aroma of ripe apple and vinegar. Flavor is not overly complex, some light malt and piney bitter. Wouldn't know it was juniper if you didn't tell me ahead of time. Mouthfeel is watery, not overly carbonated, but finishes dry and crisp. Some piney citrusy zest, but not overly ambitious. Somewhat bland, but an orange peel bitter lingers in the aftertaste. Seems to be lacking something - juniper.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours solid light coppery color with a finger of head that falls to a nice coat over top. Nose is defintaly APA. Earthy and slightly sweet hop, with a moderate caramel sweetness from the malt. Flavor is a little light. There is a moderate sweet citrusy hop, moderate bitter on the finish with a hint of the juniper flavor right at the end. I'd like a touch more robustness in the flavor. Feel is moderate with a light-moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty nice brew. Nothing really keeps it down, but I would like more flavor boldness.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Smells like a pale ale should, with some slight smell of spices. Pours a golden and slightly cloudy color with a good amount of head. Oddly it tastes a bit watered down to me at times (perhaps because it is extremely smooth?) but I could be crazy. Ends with a very slight bitter taste. I find it hard to taste the spices that I can smell. I do however taste and smell a bit of honey. I have no idea what Juniper tastes like, but apparently it's in this beer.

4.36/5  rDev +21.1%

22oz
Pours a hazy orange color. Medium head of small bubbles. Aroma is of orange peal and pine.
Taste is balanced with a malty sweetness and orange citrus hops. Interesting interplay between the Amarillo hops and Munich malts… The juniper berries show more in the aftertaste, but do make an appearance in the taste as well. Slight pine in the flavor, slight gin like aftertaste.
Very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

This brew pours a cloudy orang-red color with a small white head. The aroma of juniper and pine with some fruit peaking through. The taste is like a pale ale softened by juniper. It reminds me a lot of Fraoch. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and medium bodied. Overall, this brew is a nice change of pace.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a nice cloudy gold with a good head dissipates quickly but remains as a fine partial layer.

Smell is malty with citrus notes.

Taste is malt and more of the citrus. For me, it's a nice taste that I've enjoyed many times before and I'll have again without a whim. Good pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

From an elder bottle prior to the Juniper Ale conversion.

A - Pours a foggy pilsner color, with a touch of orange. A little head that falls with decent lacing.

S - A bit or light fruit, a bit of wheat, not a terribly stong nose, nor would I expect it to be.

T - Very, very light. Only with hints of wheat and apricot and orange, this beer while perhaps not worsened with age, has lost a bit of flavor.

M - Light and a little tingly, has an almost champagne like feel to it.

D - I'd have to rate the drinkability at a later time for sake of a newer beer, but not bad even as such.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

I like most Rogue beers I've tried, especially because they come in unique 22 oz. bottles. But you can barely find them in Philly bars. However, Flat Rock Saloon in Manayunk had this so I poured it into a glass and drank away.

The taste of the juniper was fairly subtle, which I guess is a good thing, because I know gin is flavored this way, which I really don't like much (gin I mean). I rated the taste average, because the hops weren't pronounced enough to call this a pale ale, at least not to me.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

The golden yellow colored pour, out of the 22. oz. bomber labeled Yellow Snow Ale, was attractive due to lots of carbonation and a thin but lasting head. The smell was sweet and perfumey, with a hint of wood. The taste was bready and sweetish, with a mineralized buttery flavor typical of English Pale Ales. Hops were earthy and spicy, and the juniper berry taste was not quite evident until the sediment was poured in. At that point a spruce like bitterness crept in, which I presume was due to the herbs used. Mouthfeel was crisp initially, but became much softer and thicker after the yeast pour. A very sessionable beer far superior in complexity to its other Pale Ale brethren that clock in around 5.2% ABV. For some strange reason, not distributed in Georgia.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

22oz bottle picked up during a June Rogue SFO trip.
Pours a hazy, goldish, orange. Smells of malt and citrusy hops, neither one to excess, creating a nice balance. Tastes of a faint honey sweetness along with a minimal hop bitterness and malt smoothness, with a crisp, tart bite at the finish. Different from other Rogue brews, but good just the same.

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured out a 22 oz. bottle.
A: Orange/amberish, bronze-almost copperish color with a head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thin, sticky, white head throughout. Decent lacing.
S: The smell left some wanting-piny, floral, earthy aroma with a malt back. Not as pungent as I was hoping.
T: Hoppy floral beginning with malt middle and a bitter balanced ending. Ends with a juniper-like bitterness and dryness to offset the malt. Balanced, but I was expecting more.
MF: Medium to full mouthfeel.
Overall: A decent selection from Rogue, but I was expecting more. Not their strongest brew, but worth a try nonetheless.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Of all of the Rogue offerings I have had so far, this is my least favorite. Although I love the Pacman yeast, that alone wouldnt save this beer.
A nice head formed on the top but was quickly evaporated into nothing.
The only thing I know about junipers is that it is a prevalent ingredient in gins; Bombay sapphire being my favorite. I couldnt detect any juniper or gin smell from the beverage. With no juniper aroma, how could it be called a juniper ale?
The taste was that of a typical pale ale. No juniper, but a nice hop flavor and a nice yeast flavor. No matter what I do, I cant help but like the Rogue yeast flavor, and it always stands out to me.
Average mouthfeel and a pleasant drinkability. May try this once more but would most likely go for another Rogue offering.

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours a deep golden color. At first smell a nice floral hop aroma, also a nice white head. Super smooth a great balance of malt and hops. Leaves a small trace of hops between each sip. Lacing is minimal, but who cares when the beer is so tasty. A great selection awsome beer.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%

I used to drink this when it was called Yellow Snow ale, and I seriously had no idea that it had juniper berries in it because I couldn't taste anything fruity- and that's still the case. Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with practically no head. Aroma is balanced, with some citrusy hop flavors and a good amount of malt showing through. Taste is really balanced too, which makes this a good beer to introduce non-BAs into craft beer. The hops I would say are a little more powerful than the malt, with a lemony taste still on my tongue 10 minutes after finishing, but not over powering hop flavor like Hazed and Infused. An above average pale ale.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

07/27/05- Purchased at the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dating. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- 1/2 inch foamy white head. Just the tad bit of cloudyness in the golden pour. Excellent lacing.

Smell- Picked up a noticeable amount of fruity hops as well as a heavy yeast scent.

Taste- Taste reflects smell almost identical. Very hoppy with a very fruity base. Light malt intertwined. Reminescent of the yeast used in Pyramid brews, but better tasting. No juinper berry taste detected. Doesn't taste like the Yellow Snow Ale at all.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation.

Drinkability- Perfectly fine Pale Ale almost towards an IPA. Nice and fruity and refreshing.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a thing white head that lingers for a while. Aroma is spruce and grapefruit hops over a big bready maltiness. Taste is a strong pale malt flavor followed by the piney hops and clean berry aftertaste which I'm assuming is the juniper. Medium bodied, very smooth, and just a slight hop oiliness, this is has a good mouthfeel. Not really familiar with juniper, I was apprehensive about this, but it's really just a solid APA with a slight berry taste--very nice.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

this beer is bangin. its a fine lookin brew, hazy sunset with a big frothy head. smells spicy, citrus up in hurr, a touch herbal, a pinch piney...im hyped. taste? good. very good. big and malty, yes its hopped but not intensly so like some rogues. a bit grainy with an awesome spicy hit. different than your ordinary pale. medium in the mouth, yet fullfilling in all areas. an outstanding beer, beautiful and tastey...my new favourite "pale ale".

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

My first taste under the new label and name. Sure, it was a cute, clever, if crude name for a winter spiced seasonal, but vulgarities only get you so far in the wider world. Who can take a beer seriously, when it's named after something you wouldn't want to eat or drink? So, goodbye Yellow Snow, hello, Juniper Pale Ale...

Very cloudy orange appearance, bedecked with a fresh, full head, softly settling.

Citric aroma, orange, tangerine, lemon, met well with spice, ginger, juniper, and a hint of spruce? Or am I imagining things? It's sweet and pleasant, though, ...bready, malty presence is felt and makes itself known in this mix...sweet and spicy, just like I like it!

Taste: smooth, fruity entrance on the palate, very slick and easily quaffed...great balance here, fruit and spice have melded and are backed up by malt...this is a unique beer, fit for any occasion, but best suited for impressing non-beer-loving friends to jolt them from their preconceptions.
Very tasty, medium-bodied, with a light, fruity finish.
Would go great as with food or as an after-dinner aperitif, or just on it's own as a special treat.
Damn nice beer, no surprise, from Roque.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales