Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

I used to drink this when it was called Yellow Snow ale, and I seriously had no idea that it had juniper berries in it because I couldn't taste anything fruity- and that's still the case. Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with practically no head. Aroma is balanced, with some citrusy hop flavors and a good amount of malt showing through. Taste is really balanced too, which makes this a good beer to introduce non-BAs into craft beer. The hops I would say are a little more powerful than the malt, with a lemony taste still on my tongue 10 minutes after finishing, but not over powering hop flavor like Hazed and Infused. An above average pale ale.

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

07/27/05- Purchased at the Rogue Alehouse in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dating. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- 1/2 inch foamy white head. Just the tad bit of cloudyness in the golden pour. Excellent lacing.

Smell- Picked up a noticeable amount of fruity hops as well as a heavy yeast scent.

Taste- Taste reflects smell almost identical. Very hoppy with a very fruity base. Light malt intertwined. Reminescent of the yeast used in Pyramid brews, but better tasting. No juinper berry taste detected. Doesn't taste like the Yellow Snow Ale at all.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation.

Drinkability- Perfectly fine Pale Ale almost towards an IPA. Nice and fruity and refreshing.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a thing white head that lingers for a while. Aroma is spruce and grapefruit hops over a big bready maltiness. Taste is a strong pale malt flavor followed by the piney hops and clean berry aftertaste which I'm assuming is the juniper. Medium bodied, very smooth, and just a slight hop oiliness, this is has a good mouthfeel. Not really familiar with juniper, I was apprehensive about this, but it's really just a solid APA with a slight berry taste--very nice.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

this beer is bangin. its a fine lookin brew, hazy sunset with a big frothy head. smells spicy, citrus up in hurr, a touch herbal, a pinch piney...im hyped. taste? good. very good. big and malty, yes its hopped but not intensly so like some rogues. a bit grainy with an awesome spicy hit. different than your ordinary pale. medium in the mouth, yet fullfilling in all areas. an outstanding beer, beautiful and tastey...my new favourite "pale ale".

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

My first taste under the new label and name. Sure, it was a cute, clever, if crude name for a winter spiced seasonal, but vulgarities only get you so far in the wider world. Who can take a beer seriously, when it's named after something you wouldn't want to eat or drink? So, goodbye Yellow Snow, hello, Juniper Pale Ale...

Very cloudy orange appearance, bedecked with a fresh, full head, softly settling.

Citric aroma, orange, tangerine, lemon, met well with spice, ginger, juniper, and a hint of spruce? Or am I imagining things? It's sweet and pleasant, though, ...bready, malty presence is felt and makes itself known in this mix...sweet and spicy, just like I like it!

Taste: smooth, fruity entrance on the palate, very slick and easily quaffed...great balance here, fruit and spice have melded and are backed up by malt...this is a unique beer, fit for any occasion, but best suited for impressing non-beer-loving friends to jolt them from their preconceptions.
Very tasty, medium-bodied, with a light, fruity finish.
Would go great as with food or as an after-dinner aperitif, or just on it's own as a special treat.
Damn nice beer, no surprise, from Roque.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer after its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a translucent golden amber color with a monsterous creamy light tan head that lingers long, leaving a thick and sticky sheet of lace to obscure the glass. Nose has a nice malt sweetness, spicy, grass like, with a slight hint of Juniper, fresh and clean to the senses, start is sweet with a moderate grain profile and the top thin to medium in feel. Finish has a brisk acidity with the hops spicy and pleasing to the palate, quite dry and somewhat bitter aftertaste, a drinkable beer, but not one of Rogue’s better offerings.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours from the 22 ounce bottle a nice faintly hazy, yellow amber color with a breifly dense off white head. Head quickly falls, leaving a veil and scattered lace.

The nose is average, certainly not very Roguey, with aromas of grapefruit, pine, honey malts, and buttered bread. Malt is the dominant aroma here.

The flavor is somewhat better. There's a golden malty entrance that is quickly taken over by floral at first, then light grapefruit and pine hops. Only in the aftertaste (especially the burps) do I detect any solid juniper flavors. There's just enough there to remind you it's in there. Tastes hoppier than 35 ibu's.

The body is crisply medium, with small dancing bubbles resulting in a fluffy mouthfeel. The finish is very hoppy and bitter with grapefruit peels and juniper. A decent beer, worth trying. But just a notch below what I am accustomed to from these guys.

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Deep golden in color with faint haze, a half-inch white head, which retains well, and lots of patchy lacing. An occasional fat bubble rises lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Pronounced aroma of pine hops, herbal notes, a hint of grapefruit, and a mild evergreen note, with sweet light malt beneath.

Taste: Opens with a sweet malt note, this forms an undercurrent for the taste. Soon after there are toasted malt and caramel flavors. Notes of pine, herbs, and grapefruit soon assert themselves, although mildly. Towards the finish, there is a slightly earthy, woody note. Finishes with a mild, lingering medicinal bitterness.

Mouth feel: Very smooth, rich and full, quite soft, excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A surprisingly good beer, remarkable for its subtlety and complexity, it greatly exceeded my expectations.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce brown glass bomber with a pop off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Orange-amber color and has a big white head. Head retention is good. Smells big and malty with some hop bitterness. I do not really detect and berries of any kind. Taste balanced. Has a big maltiness followed buy a oily hoppy aftertaste. Great drinkability!

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Golden with a tight white head. Kind of cloudy. Reminds me of a homebrewed pale ale.

Floral with shortbread malt scents. Smells very nice and clean, but not very "roguey."

Sweet, sweet malt! Low hopping, I think for a rogue. Pehaps just low hopping for me. There is just a touch of juniper in the finish. To honest, I wouldn't have picked it out except that I know its there. It rounds out the flavor very nicely and lifts this beer from a nice, standard pale ale into a better class.

Fairly low carbonation with a nice medium full body. Very nice and satisfying after a night at work.

I could drink this all night. Low ABV with low hops equals a great session beer.

A really well crafted brew! Buy it. Too bad its not called yellow snow anymore.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pours with a fluffy tan head which settles pretty quickly. The color is a murky deep yellow-orange haze. The nose is nice, a touch of honey, malt.. but the spices, juniper..? very faint. I think if this is going to be a spiced ale it could be alot more forward in that aspect of the profile. Right away the taste reminds me of caramel and citrus fruits, followed by raw honey into a medium bitter finish. The balance, honeyish and citrusy without being overly sweet, goes to its credit in my book. The mouthfeel is interesting. Full, seems almost heavy, coating the mouth, yet it feels alot like soft spring water too. Smooth, soft, somewhat sweet. This is a fairly drinkable pale ale, and the price is also very reasonable.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark gold, almost amber color. Not much head but good lace. The first whiff I got upon opening the bottle was a nice hop floralness. Once in the glass I also got the rich malt aromas and some slight citrus. Flavor is what I consider a standard craft pale ale, slightly carmelized malt followed by a slightly spicy hop flavor. Nothing special, but not macroized (if thats a word) either. A bit watery but that makes it more drinkable to me as I am not a huge hop head. All in all a decent beer but nothing special.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

I appreciate the concept inherent in this herbal beer; however, this ale is less charismatic than most of Rogue’s other efforts. Juniper Pale Ale (also known as Yellow Snow) is clouded chamomile color with a relaxed sudsy head and broad draping lace. It tastes like a clean and handsome pale ale in a curious juniper dress. An agreeable curiosity and a welcome diversion, but not a standout on Rogue’s roster.

22 oz brown bomber, capped. "Rogue Yellow Snow Ale"

This pale ale poured a clear, golden color with off--white foam that settled. The smell was very malty with a very good mix of bitter and floral hops and faint juniper spiciness. The taste was first and foremost a pale ale: pale malt with a nice mild hop bitterness and some fruity hops and floral hops. The juniper was barely noticeable, but was there if you concentrated. There was the faintest taste of alcohol as well. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium body and low to moderate carbonation feel. This ale was relatively clean overall. This was a rather nice pale ale with a little something extra. Yellow Snow Ale is an odd name for a beer, however, but I see from Rogue's web site that they changed the name to Juniper Pale Ale in Jan. 2005.

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a bomber of Yellow Snow somewhere along the way. I am anticipating another fine offering from Rogue.

This beer pours a yellowish orange color, decent head, leaving a nice lacing behind. Smell is wonderful, a heavy dose of bread and floral hops. The taste is even better, a nice malty start, followed by a generous amount of spicy hops. In the end there is a slight taste of bread left behind. Mouthfeel is a nice combination of a nicely weighted Pale and is nicely carbonated and lively on the palate. This is a very enjoyable beer, a nice change of pace with the spicy hops and the bready finish. Nice job brewing this one!

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden color and a very small, whispy white head. Hoppy, yeasty aroma holds notes of fruit and bread, with a vague spiciness in the background. Palate begins with fruity hops, accented by the juniper berries up front, and becomes a tad bitter towards the back of the mouth. The significant alcohol is evident in the nice and warming finish. Very nice, substantial body makes this a winner. Would rate higher for drinkability if not for the kick. Probably should limit myself to one of these in a session.

I had this on tap at Logan's alley yesterday, review from notes

Pours a hazy amber, golden color. I can see that there's good carbonation in this beer. Smell is citrusy and fruity but also bready. I didn't know what style this beer was but I could tell there was some kind of spice put in, later I see it's juniper berries. Taste has a straightforward caramel malt flavor and it's assertive. The middle brings a citrusy flavor along with some yeast notes. Earthyness comes in then a crisp bitter attack hits the palate. This is noticeably a Rogue offering and a good one at that. Well balanced yet each flavor shows itself. Easy drinking with just enough but not too much going on which makes me want more. I could drink a few of these easily. A nice beer to have.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Well, this is supposed to be a pale ale flavored with juniper berries. I don't know what the hell juniper berries are nor have I tasted them before. But I know very well what Rogue beers taste like, and this is definately one of them.

I had a pint of this on tap at Loco's Deli and Pub where I work as a delivery driver. It was poured with no head, but I assume it has decent head as do other Rogue beers. Smell is of usual pacman yeast and malt. There's a huge caramally maltyness up front in the taste. Spicy, herbal hop finish. Overall flavor leans ever-so-slightly in favor of the malt character. This is a tasty beer. I could have a few of these on tap. Wish there were more Rogue bottles to be had in Alabama.

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: From a 22 ounce bomber, this beer has a deep golden body with ample carbonation and a inital head of 1" that fades to lace the surface in whispy clumps. Nice.

Smell: The nose is of clean crystal and munich malts, and the light breath of the en vogue Amarillo hop shines through. I can't quite put my finger on the smell, but it's nice and certainly not too strong.

Taste: In the taste department, nothing jumps out initally. Just a nicely balanced pale ale. The ingredients list Sytrian golding and Amarillo, and these do a nice job imparting a spicy bitterness in the finish without the piney-leafy hop flavor that beers like SNPA pour on thick. It's really quite nice in its restraint. Then, the most unique quality hits you. The taste of juniper berries lingers on the tounge indefinitely. Faintly floral and tangy, this adds a very satisfying note to an already neat finish. I wouldn't have been able to identify it as juniper without looking, but its prescence is quite remarkable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This is nice and light, smooth across the tongue and well carbonated to carry its carefree stature. It strikes me as odd that this is released as a winter seasonal, but then again, something this nice and drinkable might be the perfect choice to liven a cold gray day. Excellent.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Thin head. Scant lacing. Color is a clear light amber.
S: Big floral hoppy nose. Nuff said.
T: Way too hoppy to be an APA, I honestly thought that this one was an IPA. Overall taste is a nice mellow citrusy hop flavor with some faint malts in the background. This brewery knows how to hop a beer without overkill.
M: Sharp bite at first. Carbonation is high, but plays well with the taste. Alcohol feel is a bit punchy.
D&N: This would make a great IPA, as an APA, this beer rocks hard. Well done, and I was sad to see the keg die.

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a vibrant yellow orange with a fluffy rocky two finger white head. A nice floral citric hop nose with hints of grapefruit and a slight spiciness as well. Quite nice.

First sip brings flowery hops upfront with a nice pale malt background. Notes of juniper spiciness come through on the back of the palate and work nicely in the overall flavor. Just a damn good APA accentuated by a nice juniper berry spice. Nice bitterness in there as well.

Mouthfeel has a creamy aspect throughout along with good carbonation and body. It's a shame this is only a winter seasonal because I could drink this stuff year round. A couple bottles would make a nice session. Check this one out if you're a pale ale fan!

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Served in a pint glass at 13 celcius.

At last my first Rogue. These are hard to come by in Canada (I had to get it at Rideau street Ottawa LCBO).

Tastes very good. Hops, malt and juniper berries predomiant. Good head and nice lacing as well. Alcohol is well cloaked. Nice bitter aftertaste. I hope to get my hands on more of Rogue's brews.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales