Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Pleasant pale, hoppy, creamy like an icemaker's beverage. Mild, some watery mouthfeel. Cloudy Yellow appearance. Good floral and spice aroma. Good example of APA. Popular import into Ontario. Interesting dry edge from Juniper berries. Easy drink. Another good balanced brew from Rogue.

Sammy, Oct 17, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy dark yellow with big bubble carbonation and medium-small soapy white head.
smell is somewhat malty and lightly oily. Faint sweet citrus.
Taste is soft at first with medium bitter finish. some soft fruit flavors that I can't identify but there are no flavors that really stand out.
mouthfeel is medium/thick and soft for a pale ale. i like this aspect of the beer.
Overall this is a fair pale ale. So far this is my least favorite Rogue Ale. It seems very status quo for a Rogue beer.

jwilli7122, Oct 13, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Am I the only person that thinks the guy on the Rogue labels looks a lot like George Clooney? I digress...the beer poured a deep, yellow amber with a delicate lace. The first nose-blast was soapy dishwater, followed by floral and hop scents.

The taste was indicative of APA's and seems to me to be a very good example of the type. The mouthfeel is standard and I'm sure most APA fans would find it highly drinkable. I'll keep my stouts and porters thankyouverymuch.

Guinness4me, Sep 20, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber topped with a two finger pillowy white head. Leaves webs of lacing.
Great robust aroma, citrus, juniper, wood, herbs and toffee.
Fruity, grapefruit, herbs, very leafy, juniper, some caramel under all the hops, biscuit malt.
Medium to full bodied, just a great and interesting take on the APA.

mschofield, Sep 17, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

From a 22 oz. bomber comes a cloudy copper or bronze beer with a thin white foamy head. The head disappeared a little too quickly for me, however there was a fair amount of lace on the glass. Smells citrusy like lemon zest and oranges, slightly herbal and piney. It says juniper, and juniper can be smelled. Suddenly, I am thinking of Christmas for some reason. Nice malt flavor, which seems to be shallow compared to the hops and spices. The hops seem kind of musty, followed by some slight spicyness, and a hint of what I would again call Christmas Tree flavor. Fair amount of carbonation. Overall, this is an interesting brew. It may be a bit unbalanced if you care about that. Maybe not the most drinkable over a session, but a good beer nevertheless.

Bierguy5, Sep 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

This bomber bottle pours a chill hazed, apricot body with a prominent, ivory head that finally stabilizes at about two cm. Gorgeous, patch lace decorates the imperial pint glass I am enjoying this in. Massive presence of small, carbonation bubbles rising to the surface is duly noted.

Interesting aroma that begins with a Munich maltiness, earthy English hops which evoke a meadow suitable for grazing livestock, and some fresh bales of hay to accompany said livestock. At room temperature, the nose is closer to a British style ESB malt note.

Mouthfeel is rather average, light to medium bodied, with good carbonation.

Taste: Hops dominate the beginning, with earthy hay and bitter grass. The juniper berries are definitely noticed, but not in the sense of gin. They meld into the unique hops profile to produce a citrusy, mandarin orange/tangerine, bitter, tartness that is quite tasty. As this Rogue approaches room temperature, a delicate and complex balance emerges between the hops and malts that makes this seem very English, in style. A hybrid between a British pale ale and bitter comes to mind. The bittersweet, dryness that the juniper berries contribute adds a bonus to the complexities present here.

I like this one a lot. One of the most drinkable Rogue ales that I've sampled. Highly recommended.

merlin48, Jun 26, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured to a very bright gold and yellow color. I can see where the name comes from. The head was fluffy and it left a great fluffy lace to match.

The smell was strong but in a pretty traditional fashion. The taste gave something similar, but with a pretty good kick in the finish. Up front it was full of hops, much like the St Rogue Red.

It's good stuff, but it could probably be toned down a little bit. It's not too far from being great.

watermelonman, Jun 16, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Once again, ROGUE earns BA brownie points for the painted label, and a most informative label that says it all with 34 IBU rating, gravity and listing all 10 ingredients.

Unfiltered wheat appearance, with a solid white head.

Floral hops and grassy nose.

Bright clean hps flavor. Three blended hops, and a lemonade citrus that as per the label is juniper. Prevailing hops are reminiscent of cascade and canibus like notes.

A tad cidery in the feel. Cloudy particles add to a good mouth sizzle.

Too high of an ABV to be a real drinker, but an overall good ROGUE.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Jun 12, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

tavernjef, Jun 04, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured very cloudy and orangey-yellow. Alot of head quickly dissapated into light and fluffy bubbles. Looks similar to natural, unfiltered apple cider. Scents of fruits and perfume. Tastes of hops and pepper, juniper berry -taste of gin... Good flavor. Was kind of worried about trying this one, as it listed styrian hops, and I have noticed that I just plain dislike them -find those beers skunky, but did not notice the styrian in here. I have always enjoyed Rogue, and this one fits right in. Nice drinkability.

shapudding, May 30, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

andyo, May 20, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer gushed out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, but didn't seem overly foamy as I poured it into the glass. Rich, lemony orange-amber with a small amount of haze. The bone white head is medium in size and softly undulating on top as it descends. Not much lace, which is odd for a Rogue beer.

The nose is quite nice. I expected it to smell like juniper berries (what gin is flavored with), but it doesn't. It smells citrusy, though not really like an IPA or an APA. It's more on the order of pineapple and candied lemon peel. The flavor isn't all that wonderful. The aroma translates well to the palate, but there's also an earthy, spicy, intense herbalness that I don't find all that enjoyable. Not bad, but if the flavor followed the nose more closely, this would be a better beer.

There's a dry, crackery malt base with a softly bitter contribution from the hops and the flavors that I just described. The finish is dry, bitter and lemony, leaving the tongue absolutely clean. The body is medium, generally speaking, but there's too much carbonation (hence, Mount Juniper on crown cracking).

Juniper Pale Ale is interesting beer, but isn't one that I'll pick up again. I give Rogue credit for trying something different, but this one doesn't rise to the level of some of their other, better known, offerings.

BuckeyeNation, May 08, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

Deep straw-yellow in color, creamy white head. Very clear and very appealing.

Malty nose. British scents--somewhat faint. Good malt smell, though.

Very delicious. Creamy, malty and smooth. Juniper berries gives the beer a near perfect spice. Nice low-medium bitter on the back of tongue. Really, an exceptional flavor.

Body is a touch too thin. Could be a little thicker to compliment the wonderful malt flavor.

I could drink three 22s without thinking. Easy.

jonnylieberman, Apr 30, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I picked up a 22oz bomber of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. It pours out a slightly murky, transparent golden-amber. A respectable, big bubbly head rolls up a good two fingers breadth. Carbonation bubbles are big, lazy and sparse.

Piney hops are big on the nose, and I swear I think I can smell those Juniper berries. Other than that I detect the sweet underlying scent of the malt.

Taste is lead off richly by sweet, creamy, flat malts. Piney hop flavor takes over and rides it out to the end. The aftertaste is dry and slightly spicy. Mouthfeel is medium light and very crisp on the palate.

I like this one a lot, both the idea of it, and the taste. I nice switch up from a standard pale ale. I really regret not trying this on draft when having the chance. There’s always next time though.

FormatKid, Apr 24, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow brew that is almost electric yellow.

Smell is mild malt and a mild sour scent.

Taste is very hoppy with a load of bitterness up front. The Grapefruit flavor of cascade hops starts to come out. It looks like a pilsner but tastes like an IPA.

Mouthfeel is good.

OK drinkable, but an unbalanced brew. I would pick a Stone Pale Ale or Sam Adams Winter Lager over this.

Zorro, Apr 21, 2004

It pours a slighty hazy sunny gold, fairly carbonated and glinting in the light. Three fingers of dense white head grows and shrinks in a quick cycle. Slick lacing slides a bit, then clings to the glass.

In the aroma, a light malt sweetness twists around a dry perfume of grapefruit and berries. A butterscotch undercurrent surfaces toward the end, and lingers gently.

Upon sipping, a prompt mild malt sweetness is cut short by a stout current of almost pulpy grapefruit. A twist of butterscotch populates the middle. A duet of yeast/grain doughiness and bitter hop fruit notes works toward the end. The finish is carried by more hops bitterness and a vague grassiness. Balanced and basic, it comes across as fresh and fun.

Between light and medium bodied, there's just enough consistency to leave the flavor elements on the palate. The hops linger with a glowing tingle on the tongue.

The lighter malt profile blends rather uniquely with the solid hops character, making it different and quite good. The sweetness is milder than the hops would lead you to expect, in anticipation of balance, and the surprise is worthwhile. The basic elements are cleverly balanced, and refresh rewardingly, making another a virtual certainty. A fresh departure from so many more complex beers, it's proud of its simplicity, as it should be. And so I'll watch out where those huskies go, because I'll likely want to drink more of that Yellow Snow.

Foxman, Apr 20, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

A small sample served from the 750 mL bottle. The color is golden, with a wispy head. The smell is sugary sweet. The taste has a strong spicing, with a strong hoppiness to it. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, could probably have a few.

Ahh...not bad, but not a world-beater. Thank you to my youngest brother for a sample. Rogue makes so many good beers, but this one just doesn't blow my mind the same way the others do.

beergeek279, Apr 13, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A little haze in it's golden color, moderate white head. Smell of juniper berries is very apparent, paired with a nice hops aroma. Taste is spicy and bitter. This is a very unique brew, I split a bomber with a macro drinking buddy of mine, and he didn't have many kind words for it. I thought it was good, and something I would consider getting again.

TastyTaste, Apr 01, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Golden amber hue with an off white cream colored head leaves behind ample lacing fluffy appearance nice. Aroma: Touch of Juniper berries brings about an herbal tea quality to the flavor along with the pale malts and mild citrus tone hops are light here different from most Rogue products. Taste: Slight sweet spicy golden ale with an herbal hop profile not bad just nothing blowing me away I did enjoy. Mouthfeel: Light medium bodied decent carbonation slightly fluffy texture. Drinkability: Strange unique quality added from the juniper berries can't say I would frequent drinking this beer but it was nice for something different.

WVbeergeek, Mar 23, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

Bottle – Poured a yellow brew with a nice large head with standard retention. Aroma is really sweet with nice touché of hops and malts coming out of my glass. Taste is incredible with the usual sweetness and refreshing taste of a pale ale but with added bonus of juniper berries. I love the taste of gin and I think I find here again but without the strong alcohol content. Another truly great beer from Rogue and one underrated beer in my own opinion.

Phyl21ca, Mar 22, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

My impression is that this is some form a standard rogue ale recipe with a different set of spices. For me that was enjoyable enough.
Aroma is a nice mixture of Am. style hops with notes of citrus, but the greater aroma came from the Juniper leaving a strong sense of pine.
Pours slightly cloudy golden with firm off white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing.
In the flavor the pine took a back seat (although still noticeable) to the strong hop presence and pale malt foundation. Nicely balanced overall.
Didn't smooth up as much as I would have liked as warmed, but stayed enoughable throughout. Medium thickness.
Overall, good plus.

garymuchow, Mar 21, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

pheurton, Mar 07, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +15%

It is surprising that for a winter seasonal, this is one of Rogue's lighter and more drinkable offerings. Also I am not sure why this is classified as an herbed/spiced beer, since the only extra ingredient is juniper berries although juniper berries could be considered to have a somewhat spicy flavor. There is no actual spice in the beer though. A fruit beer, perhaps? Well, not really. This is essentially a light-ish pale ale with an accented hop bite, and a bitter tartness from the juniper berries which are not at all sweet berries, they're used to make gin remember? A light, clear gold, with average head and lacing. The malts are the high point of the beer, and are generally light and biscuity but there is a roastier, almost chocolatey undercurrent that really appeals to me. A very crisp, clean, appealing taste in which no yeast intrudes, the end result being refreshing if maybe a little one-dimensional. The hops close things out with a tweak of bitterness. Aftertaste is dry and a bit metallic, not particularly good. It's that malt that keeps me intrigued though.

Thrasher, Feb 16, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8%

The beer is a medium, unassuming amber, a little towards gold, topped with a hugely thick off white froth that juts forth out of the glass. It settles down to about half an inch after about five minutes, leaving the glass completely covered with lace where it once was. Probably the most lace I've ever seen left by a beer, completely obscuring the empty glass with layers of sticky foam, clumping up on itself in some places. Just stunning.
The aroma is only lightly malty, with a strong, assertive hopping dominating. An odd floral aroma, with a pungent piney hoppiness. I don't know what they added to this (juniper, after checking out some other reviews), but it adds a very distinct, dogwood-like floral aroma. Just enough toasty malt creeps through to prevent the beer from becoming one sided.
The flavor starts out a bit thin, with only slight toasty malt, and an immediately present floral, vaguely appley sweetness. It's not an estery flavor, something else entirely. A fairly clean brew, the sip moving directly into a moderate hopping, very powerfully piney, with a bit of citric lemon flavor. The floral flavor takes on some dogwood-like bitterness, like chewing on a flower petal, which I have actually done as a kid. The pine continues with no signs of letting up, some lilac flavor towards the end, finishing with a strange, vegetal astringency, almost like broccoli rob. The hops feel fairly mild, and most of the bittering comes from the added plant life. A lingering piney hop flavor, reminiscent of an actual coniferous tree, contributing an almost overwhelming bitterness. Thankfully it loses some steam in the aftertaste, settling into a moderate piney/floral bitterness. Fairly light bodied, with moderate carbonation. I don't know what to say about the mouthfeel. I was too busy having my tongue stabbed with pine cones to notice. I'd say it was fairly smooth drinking.
This is definitely whacked out stuff. It's so incredibly bitter that it's endearing, and I challenged myself to another pint. I could stand for a bit more malt, but for some reason balance doesn't seem like an issue with this one. I have no clue what juniper tastes like, but it's definitely piney and real damn bitter in a floral, vegetal way. No one else seemed to think this was especially bitter, and I recall being a bit "meh" about the bottle when I had it a couple years ago. The tap version was seriously bitter stuff. Maybe it was dry-berried? If you like punishment that transcends anything a hop can produce, seek this keg out.

UnionMade, Feb 15, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It boasts of pale ale malts and an array of floral hops. The taste is good as well. It is a light, pale beer with an awesome hop flavor and a dry finish. It says it is brewed with juniper berries, but I don't taste them. It is a good beer nonetheless. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks very well. I've never had a bad beer from these guys. It didn't know what to expect with this only because of the name, but I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Quaffer for helping me reel in my "white whale."

WesWes, Feb 13, 2004