Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

pheurton, Mar 07, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +15%

It is surprising that for a winter seasonal, this is one of Rogue's lighter and more drinkable offerings. Also I am not sure why this is classified as an herbed/spiced beer, since the only extra ingredient is juniper berries although juniper berries could be considered to have a somewhat spicy flavor. There is no actual spice in the beer though. A fruit beer, perhaps? Well, not really. This is essentially a light-ish pale ale with an accented hop bite, and a bitter tartness from the juniper berries which are not at all sweet berries, they're used to make gin remember? A light, clear gold, with average head and lacing. The malts are the high point of the beer, and are generally light and biscuity but there is a roastier, almost chocolatey undercurrent that really appeals to me. A very crisp, clean, appealing taste in which no yeast intrudes, the end result being refreshing if maybe a little one-dimensional. The hops close things out with a tweak of bitterness. Aftertaste is dry and a bit metallic, not particularly good. It's that malt that keeps me intrigued though.

Thrasher, Feb 16, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8%

The beer is a medium, unassuming amber, a little towards gold, topped with a hugely thick off white froth that juts forth out of the glass. It settles down to about half an inch after about five minutes, leaving the glass completely covered with lace where it once was. Probably the most lace I've ever seen left by a beer, completely obscuring the empty glass with layers of sticky foam, clumping up on itself in some places. Just stunning.
The aroma is only lightly malty, with a strong, assertive hopping dominating. An odd floral aroma, with a pungent piney hoppiness. I don't know what they added to this (juniper, after checking out some other reviews), but it adds a very distinct, dogwood-like floral aroma. Just enough toasty malt creeps through to prevent the beer from becoming one sided.
The flavor starts out a bit thin, with only slight toasty malt, and an immediately present floral, vaguely appley sweetness. It's not an estery flavor, something else entirely. A fairly clean brew, the sip moving directly into a moderate hopping, very powerfully piney, with a bit of citric lemon flavor. The floral flavor takes on some dogwood-like bitterness, like chewing on a flower petal, which I have actually done as a kid. The pine continues with no signs of letting up, some lilac flavor towards the end, finishing with a strange, vegetal astringency, almost like broccoli rob. The hops feel fairly mild, and most of the bittering comes from the added plant life. A lingering piney hop flavor, reminiscent of an actual coniferous tree, contributing an almost overwhelming bitterness. Thankfully it loses some steam in the aftertaste, settling into a moderate piney/floral bitterness. Fairly light bodied, with moderate carbonation. I don't know what to say about the mouthfeel. I was too busy having my tongue stabbed with pine cones to notice. I'd say it was fairly smooth drinking.
This is definitely whacked out stuff. It's so incredibly bitter that it's endearing, and I challenged myself to another pint. I could stand for a bit more malt, but for some reason balance doesn't seem like an issue with this one. I have no clue what juniper tastes like, but it's definitely piney and real damn bitter in a floral, vegetal way. No one else seemed to think this was especially bitter, and I recall being a bit "meh" about the bottle when I had it a couple years ago. The tap version was seriously bitter stuff. Maybe it was dry-berried? If you like punishment that transcends anything a hop can produce, seek this keg out.

UnionMade, Feb 15, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It boasts of pale ale malts and an array of floral hops. The taste is good as well. It is a light, pale beer with an awesome hop flavor and a dry finish. It says it is brewed with juniper berries, but I don't taste them. It is a good beer nonetheless. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks very well. I've never had a bad beer from these guys. It didn't know what to expect with this only because of the name, but I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Quaffer for helping me reel in my "white whale."

WesWes, Feb 13, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -3%

One of my favorite Rogue bottles thus far. Pours a medium straw yellow with a puffy off-white head. Smells of light, macro-ish malt, with palpable un-macroish floral and citrusy hop notes. Taste is light, crisp, smooth malts with a touch of fruitiness. Hops are the main event here; very grapefruit-citrusy in flavor, but not too bitter. Finish is a touch oily, bitter, and thirst-quenching. I'd rather drink this in the summer than in the winter. Reminds me a little of New Belgium's Loft (but I like the Loft more).

alexgash, Jan 29, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a hazy orange-yellow with a sizable white head that dissipated over time. The aroma was light, fresh, and sweet. Tasting it caught me by surprise, as the light aroma indicated that it would be a delicate mouthfeel. Not so -- it was firm and almost 'chunky'. The aftertaste was bitter and effervescent, while the flavor was almost sugary. Its a fairly easy drinking brew -- for something called 'Yellow Snow' it really seemed more appropriate for a summers day. Good, but not great, I'd buy it, order it, and drink it -- but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

jtfest, Jan 24, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Small head, amber to red colour, slightly hazy.

Smell: Strong flowery hop aroma, raisins.

Taste: Not quite the intensity of flavour the nose suggested. Nice flowery hops and orange rind flavours. Cannot find the juniper berry flavours.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with faint tartness.

Drinkability/Notes: Kind of your run of the mill pale ale. Nothing to get too excited about, just a good drink. Reminds me of a not quite as powerful Anchor Liberty Ale.

Ardon, Jan 23, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Burnt orange colour with a reasonably-sized head that settles quickly and gives up just a bit of lace. Interesting colour.

Equally interesting aroma. Hops, an earthy pine like quality. Tastes quite unusual, having an almost pungent character, from the juniper berries I would imagine. Slightly hoppy and spicy.

Overall this beer comes off as just interesting, but odd somehow without really finding the right spot to tickle and make it all worth while.

I'll have to revisit it at some time I suppose, see what I think later on.

TerryW, Jan 20, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just above average, I was kind of exspecting more. Nice yellowish amber color with a lacey head. It is kinda "flat" however. Subtle hops, just barely there. Nothing really jumps out at you, except the name. I would drink this again, but I won't go out of my way to find it.

bewareOFpenguin, Jan 19, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8%

Another nice prouct from the folks at Rogue Ales. This brew is dark amber/copper with a nicely developed off-white head of ivory billows. Good retention and decent lace, though not glass-coating.

The nose is good and gives note of the hops and the nice malt base. Flavors tend toward citrus fruit notes though the lighting spicing sharpen the edge and give this brew some nice tight tartness. The feel is smooth but has nice crispness in the ending. Eminently drinkable and refreshing.

AtLagerHeads, Jan 10, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a colour of saffron infused beer. I almost wanted to make risotto milanese with this at first glance. Smelled of hops with a definate piney hoppy smell. Taste was Hoppy with a hint of gin like spice from the juniper berries. Fortunately the jumiper didnt overwhelm as I find Gin disgusting. It was more of the subtle juniper used in german or czech recipes. Mouthfeel was a bit sticky due to the hops but good none the less. I found this beer VERY drinkable and another great offering from Rogue. I wish it were around more of the year.

TinusTime, Jan 10, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a slightly more golden orange than "yellow snow" yellow, with a nice white head that sinks to a pilsner like film (odd).

Aroma...I almost always smell the yeast first when I smell beer, and I can tell right off the bat, even if I didn't have a label to go by, this is a Rogue offering. Love their yeast too, it's just slightly sweet and nutty. Other smells are oily, rind-like hops, and another somewhat hop-like flavor I can't figure out (which I'd assume is the juniper).

Taste is less refined that many other Rogue offerings, with a very tart, acidic rind-like hop attack, and a grainy, thinner, non ale-like malt, again, very pilsner-like. Finish lacks the malt that I think it could benefit from, but the after taste, once the lingering bitterness goes away, is quite pleasant on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is appropriate, but the carbonation seems a bit aggressive.

As with any beers that come in bombers, drinkability is limited -- but with this beer, unlike some others, I don't think I'd want more than one in a session. It was enjoyable for the duration of the bottle though.

A very odd ale, but enjoyable. I'll have to try this again -- but probably not for a while.

ithacabaron, Jan 05, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pours a golden orange color with a thick creamy head. The head lasted through most of the drink, and glass lacing was produced. The aroma is of malt and honey tones. The malt flavor is quite smooth, and some bitterness and spiciness arrived on the tongue after swallowing. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp, and I noticed the bitterness from the hops sticks to the back of your tongue well after swallowing. Enjoyable and drinkable, even though the name of this one gets you thinking...

Gavage, Jan 02, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

NOTE!: I must say I experienced this one after a Victory Hopdevil, which undoubtely affected my perception of the current beer's hoppiness.

This one poured with a medium frothy head and left frothy lacing. It was yellow with a tinge of orange. It tasted mildly hoppy with some subtle spicyness perhaps? Mouthfeel was a little thin and lacked excitement. A decent beer but is missing the oomph and vibrancy I enjoy.

HiroProtagonist, Dec 26, 2003
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat the yellow snow...
A light yellow pour with a good size head. It had a semi floral smell, nothing spectacular. I didn't care much for the taste I was upset with the lack of balance that rogue usually exceeds in. I like hoppy, but this was too much.

CBFanWish, Dec 26, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours foggy yellow orange with quite a bit of head that recedes fairly quickly. Citrucy aroma that fades fairly quickly. Taste? Uhhmm... its bitter. A bit grainy and bready in the end before more bitterness puts a stop to all that. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, but not too bad.

Sixpack595, Dec 24, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Frank Zappa always said "Don't eat the yellow snow." Well he never mentioned anything about drinking it.

Pours a clear light orange with e decent white head, resembling your average american lager in appearance. Aroma is heavy on the grainy side, with a good dose floral hops backing things up. Taste is nothing special here. Mostly bitter from start to finish, there is some grainyness in the background. Not really malty, just a slight taste of cereal grains. This beer could use some balance. Mostly floral bitter hops, not much else besides a funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel is fairly clean but nothing special. Too bitter without enough flavor to be very drinkable. Nothing special here - your average rogue ale, only not as good. Don't drink the yellow snow either.

avylover, Dec 21, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm not gonna lie to you and pretend I know the first thing about juniper berries (other than the fact they are used in the gin-making process). But since I firmly believe that beer should make a person think, here are a few fun juniper berry tidbits for all y'all:
-it's a remedy to treat tapeworm
-In the Ayurvedic system (don't ask me) juniper is believed to not only purify the body but also the aura.
-contains thujone, which I believe is a hallucinogen (of absinthe fame)
-It has stimulant and analgesic properties.
-it helps clear acid wastes from the body.
-It acts on the urinary, respiratory, nervous and digestive systems
-it's an insect repellant
-It can be used during labor to stimulate contractions.
-And it makes your urine smell like violets (as yet unproven by yours-truly).

Anyway,

This is of the 2002 breed.
Pours a smogged golden under a bleached beige head.
Nose full of ferns and pine needles, and black-light ganja. Notations of dish-washing liquid. The berry sweetness present may or may not be imaginary.
Toasty up front. Progresses towards english muffins, topped with a spit of butter. Not sweet at all, at least right away. Hops are certainly the featured event here. Lightly resinous pine cone Amarillos (oh how I love them), along with the more abrasive and metallic Styrian Goldies. Interesting cross. There's a suggestion of blueberries soaked in gin- adding minor sweetness to the general bitterness- and that is my only entrance to the topic of juniper berries.
Medium bodied and monster drinkable, though that has nothing to do with any sort of berry.
Not as unique as expected, and a bit out-of-place as a winter seasonal, but a dandy pale ale regardless.

Now off to see if that whole violets thing is true.

cokes, Dec 16, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a dark clear golden, with a mountainous, foamy, retentive head.

Aroma is mostly citric hops with a lesser sourdough note.

Having never met a juniper berry outside this beer, I'll have to take the bottle's word for their inclusion. Taste is slightly peppery, sourdough again from the malt, mild grapefruit and an evergreen-type flavor I can only assume comes from the juniper berry. Not resinous like wildly hopped brews, more of a pine-needle sensation. Finishes dry and bready.

Slightly thinner bodied than I had hoped, however this would make a good "left-field" session beer just because it's a unique concoction.

shirfan, Dec 08, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Bought at the local grocers after getting a sample taster from a Rogue guy doing a promotion.
22 oz screen printed brown bomber( as always)..some dude with his pet Lab. "Together we can do it"..I hope so!
Very pretty looking beer..dark golden with a nice carbonation..small white head.
Whoa..strong and fresh aroma..load of hops..some malt undertones and a piney aroma..must be the juniper.
mmm nice tasteing ale..not as strong as i thought after the aroma..but nice..mostly malty to begin with..creamy, then a hop bite and right at the end a spicy junpier bitter aftertaste.
Pretty nice on the palate..smooth.
A most drinkable beer..at any time of the year.

Reidrover, Dec 06, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

This hazy amber pint has a small, bubbly, very lightly tanned head. The spicy, hoppy, floral smell is strong even at arm's length.

Like many of the other Rogue brews I've tried, this one impresses me right from the first sip. It's immediately refreshing, and complicated enough to grab my attention. The first stage, focused on the tip of the tongue, has some of the same sweet/sour zip that characterized the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. In this case, though, it's so much more balanced that I enjoy it. The hops in the second stage have the same sharpness that made Sierra Harvest Ale so challenging, but here it's mild enough to be pleasant. The finish carries a floral, grainy bitterness at the back of the tongue.

Drinking this beautifully balanced beer is an intense experience. I can see the hops on the trellis. I can taste the grain. At the end I enjoy the pretty cascade of lacing, and look forward to picking up some more of these.

Weissenheimer, Dec 04, 2003

Well, I was told not to eat yellow snow, but noone said anything about not drinking it. Poured a bright orange color with a decent white head atop - looks sticky and has retained at a film. Aroma is very floral, full of hops much like an IPA. The taste is as delicious as expected. Begins with a bitter hop taste, hints of roastyness, and a sweet 'n' spicy finish, dry like the bottle says it is. As we come into winter, this was a great beer to break up the monotony and also a nice break from many of the dark and heavy seasonals.

nixhecks, Dec 03, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

On tap at New World Brewery, Ybor City, FL.

This is perhaps my favorite herb/spiced beer with high marks probably because of the IPA underpinnings (rather than a belgian style or some other malt dominant style.)

A nice citrus-tart hop aroma actually gave me pause: how would herbs go with citrus notes? I shouldn't have worried. I never expected such a mild "judicious" addition of spice to a dominating IPA. An addition of character, but not a competing flavor, the juniper falls into the nice blend of flavors. There's a swell dry finish that also contains some citrus and grassy notes. All beers should be this complex and yet so well blended.

Highly recommended.

ecoboy, Dec 03, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An orange pour with a medium white head. The smell nicely hoppy and had a mellow fruit sweetness....berries and maybe some apricot as well. The taste had a decent combintaion of hops and fruitiness giving it nice balance. Fruitiness is present up front and then becomes more dry, malty towards the finish. Smooth mouthfeel with a semidry finish. Decent drinkability. Not one of my faves.

Popsinc, Nov 29, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a deep gold with a vigorous fluffy white head.

Aroma: Slightly spicy nose with rich malt presence. Hop citrus makes an appearance.

Taste: Mild malt with lots of hop and spice coming out. Dry, crisp, and slightly spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light on the palate, but nice and flavorful throughout. Good carbonation balance.

Drinkability: A good, easy-drinking offering from Rogue. Juniper berries offer an interesting twist. Try this one if you can.

winomark, Nov 25, 2003