Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,297
3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

A 22 oz bomber.

Poured a clear gold with white head. Not much head retention.

Nose is juniper and pond water. Not the best.

Taste. Not real strongly hopped. Slight touch of grain and sweetness. The finish is rather dry without much flavor except some sweetness. (264 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just above average, I was kind of exspecting more. Nice yellowish amber color with a lacey head. It is kinda "flat" however. Subtle hops, just barely there. Nothing really jumps out at you, except the name. I would drink this again, but I won't go out of my way to find it. (273 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Bomber. Pours a hazy orange color with a small fizzy, off-white head. Aroma is mainly hops, pine, and a hint of juniper. Flavor is buttery, but bitter. A light malty, but again mainly hop flavor. Finishes easy, decent beer. Rogue just makes good beer. (251 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i like gin. will this be like a gin beer?

it's pale—in the gold range—and has an assertive head. good lacing helps remind one of the once vainglorious foam

i'm not gonna lie, the juniper character is minimal. in fact, i would never have identified a juniper influence. it sure would be nicer if it were more noticeable, as that would make the novelty of the whole thing a little more palatable. i would say there is something i don't recognize, but it's not enough to make the beer great (or particularly good, even) (520 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

As today was Hopslam day (the day to spend a crazy amount of money at the beer store and not drink the expensive stuff because it needs to age), I needed some interesting beers to try. I had not seen this Rogue before and some of their other things were good. My first though was, "Are juniper berries edible?" Apparently, but not tasty.

This ale is flat looking and tasting. The odd flavor may grow on me (I hope so) but I will never seek it out again. There just doesn't seem to be much to distinguish this. It beats things that don't try very hard, but it's just an off taste. Maybe it will be better very cold. That is how I intend to drink the rest. (655 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

NOTE!: I must say I experienced this one after a Victory Hopdevil, which undoubtely affected my perception of the current beer's hoppiness.

This one poured with a medium frothy head and left frothy lacing. It was yellow with a tinge of orange. It tasted mildly hoppy with some subtle spicyness perhaps? Mouthfeel was a little thin and lacked excitement. A decent beer but is missing the oomph and vibrancy I enjoy. (417 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Bomber.Hazy honey color with standard Rogue fluffly head. Good lacing. Aroma is of hops, juniper and pacman yeast.(gotta love that pacman). Medium bodied and smooth. A tad bitter and a slight watery taste. Maybe the least favorite I've had from Rogue. Nothing like any APA's I've had yet every Rogue is a new adventure. (325 characters)

22oz bomber
I picked this up the other day as it sounded interresting.
Pours an amber with a bubbly white head one inch head that quickly faded to the sides of the glass. Aroma comes through with some caramel maltiness, some citrus fruit, and an slight almost medicinal smell. The taste is typical north american pale ale. Medium body with good carbonation.
A decent pale ale, I only wish the juniper was more pronounced. I felt that it was barely noticable. (460 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I like most Rogue beers I've tried, especially because they come in unique 22 oz. bottles. But you can barely find them in Philly bars. However, Flat Rock Saloon in Manayunk had this so I poured it into a glass and drank away.

The taste of the juniper was fairly subtle, which I guess is a good thing, because I know gin is flavored this way, which I really don't like much (gin I mean). I rated the taste average, because the hops weren't pronounced enough to call this a pale ale, at least not to me. (504 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Thick, frothy head perched atop a deep, golden liquid when poured into a pint glass. Notable head retention through the first few minutes after pouring with a good deal of it left clinging to the glass. Nice.

Surprisingly malty in scent with only faint hint of juniper berries which, as a gin drinker, kind of disappoints me.

Well, OK, the juniper is there after all & it works better than I’d have thought. There are a ton of things going on with this beer & not all of them are good. A buttery/oily texture which, although technically a note on mouthfeel, is so closely-associated with the aforementioned foodstuff that they can’t possibly be ignored in the taste department. A sweet malt presence is welcome with a good mild hop bitterness to end.

The texture is really what gets me. As previously mentioned, there’s a slickness to this beverage which really can’t be welcome in this type of ale. Almost slimy on the tongue.

Although the taste is not at all bad (actually, almost restrained for being a Rogue product) the mouthfeel really makes this the type of beer than you’re happy to have once & be done with it. (1,137 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

A: There is nothing wrong with the way this looks in a glass: Hazy light golden with a great looking head. Lacing is apparent and plentiful.

S: Mostly pale malts and spicy juniper with a slight amount of floral hops.

T: Orange blossoms and light caramel sweetness that transitions into juniper berry, cantaloupe rind, hop bitterness and green tea earthiness. There is a decent amount of bready malt and citrus notes as well.

M: Crisp and clean, medium bodied.

D: It's a decent beer. It didn't live up to what I anticipated it to taste like, but it's still a well-crafted beer. (581 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

When I first tried this beer, I thought that I had made a terrible mistake in buying it. The initial taste was hard to place, but reminded me of mint and medicine. After I let it set for a few minutes I did warm up to the flavor. Not too heavy, but the juniper taste seems to linger for a while (at least I'll guess it's juniper as I'm not sure when or where I last had anything with juniper in it). Light body, had a huge head when I poured it that stuck around for a pretty respectable amount of time. Was an interesting drink, glad I tried it, but no interest in having another. (581 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Deep straw color with a lot of billowy white head. Maybe 2 1/2 fingers, not much retention, but a fair amount of lacing.

S: Strong flavor of hops, and some slight juniper smell. Slightly floral, really great smell.

T: Wow, what a letdown. Tastes watery, some slight hops on the finish, but not a whole lot else. I'm not tasting any juniper, almost no malt. Terribly out of balance and weak.

M: Mouthfeel is fine: Light, nice amount of carbonation. Very refreshing.

D: Very drinkable, just not good. I would never pay money for this again. I had high hopes since I love gin so much, but this is an enormous disappointment. More proof that Rogue is a mediocre, overpriced brewery. (686 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Copper body with a large, 2 and a half finger white head. Head stuck around for about a minute and a half, very light lacing.

S: Citrus, hops, floral notes, juniper.

T: Bitter up front, biscuit and flour notes, little bit of juniper but mostly just like a typical pale. The juniper is surprisingly underwhelming.

M: Light body, light carbonation.

Okay beer. I probably wouldn't seek it out again though. (452 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy light gold with a smallish creamy head that dissipates in what I'd call an average period of time and leaves a bit of lacing. Smell is disappointing, with some slight hoppiness and a bit of earthiness all that seperates it from a very bland lager. Taste is better though, with a sharp floral bite from the hops at first, followed by a unique bitterness which accompanies the sweet malts, but the two don't quite blend for me. Mouthfeel is crisp at first, but gets muddy as it warms, and drinkability is reasonably good. I sometimes think that Rogue should put a few of their beers in smaller bottles, and this is one of them. Not bad, but not my cup of tea....er, beer. (691 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

22-oz bottle poured into pint glasses.

A = Hazy amber, large off white head with big bubbles, recedes quickly leaves lots of lacing on glass.

S = Smells like a typical APA, pine from hops, light malt scents of bread dough, light hints of white pepper and grapefruit rinds.

T = Sweet malt tastes, with honey, maple syrup, half-baked white bread, on the sides and back of the mouth there is some slight amount of pine bitterness together with a slight oily bitterness of the juniper berries. Finish is medium long.

M = Medium-light bodied, fair mouthcoating, frothy mouthfeel.

D = Only fair drinkability on this one. It is basically a pretty standard APA but with a slightly unpleasant aftertaste of juniper berries. Too bad, I had wanted to like this one. (759 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

A: A hazy golden color with a fluffy white foam.

S: Very subtle citrus and pine, the Juniper is very muted, not at all what I was expecting.

T: A bit of pine on the front and then pretty bland after that. Fades into some malt flavor and not much else. I was expecting to really taste the juniper, but was disappointed.

M: Crisp and dry, good carbonation.

D: As a gin drinker, I was hoping to experience a lot of the juniper herbalness, but it was absent. The beer still tasted okay, but I don't think it highlighted the juniper at all. Could have just been any pale ale. (574 characters)

Served in pint glass.

Pours a clean, light amber. Eggshell head is dense and retains well. Noticeable carbonation throughout.

Aroma is very faint. Floral, oily hops and very mild juniper. Not much going on.

Taste is smooth and clean, with a tight malt sweetness and herbal and floral hop notes. Juniper is noticeable and quite pleasant. Finish was dry and a little harsh, seemingly due to both the juniper and an overbalance of hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Very crisp on the palate. Spiciness from the berries and the carbonation make for a nice combination.

I suppose it is drinkable. A tasty beer, for sure, but too unbalanced to be thoroughly enjoyable. (676 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

I almost passed this beer over after reading that the Juniper Ale and Yellow Snow Ale were the same...then I realized I had had the Yellow Snow IPA. Damn blonde moments!!!

Seriously, this ale pours golden and hazy. An extremely fluffy white head forms and leaves a substantial amount of lacing behind. Although my description is short, it was a pretty impressive looking ale.

It has a pretty hoppy nose, but nothing overwhelming. A little yeasty with some caramel notes.

There is a hoppy bitterness that I was't expecting by smell alone. A little woodsy, piney I would say. I guess I should say juniper like. The piney flavors dominate the aftertaste.

This ale has a smooth and creamy delivery. Light to medium bodied pale ale with nice carbonation. A good bit of bittering but nothing close to being a hop bomb. Interesting to say the least. Somewhat of a drying finish.

Easy drinking and pretty enjoyable. Not one of my favorite beers but I can appreciate its character. (977 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a darker golden. Not quite red. Lots of bubbles and a two finger head. Nice lacing marking ewach sip. The smell definately carries more juniper than the taste, lending a sweeter smell. Taste is expected plae ale flavors, strong hops, grains, and malt. Very light in the mouth feel due to the high carbonation. Easy drinking for a pale ale. (345 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Slightly hazy gold. Big rocky head.

S - Metallic, floral and with a touch of tangerine. Sweet, light malt backing.

T/M - Some pininess I guess... I could be imagining it... and some citrus. Nice slick malt body and a solidly bitter finish. Could be a menthol afterfeel...

D - Kind of underwhelming. Juniper isn't leaving much of an impression. FWIW a nice drinkable beer though. (385 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep gold with an adequate head and minimal retention. Some minimal lacing as you drink.

Smell: Hoppy and piney and a little floral.

Taste: Dominant pine and hops upfront, then ends more on the malty side with a mild sweetness. It leans on the dry side. There’s a very slight taste to this that reminds me of the hint of a pilsner somewhere in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied but feels right for the taste of the beer, crisp and carbonated. Sticks to the tongue a bit at the end.

Overall: I’m classifying this in the “it’s a good craft beer to try for craft beer newbies weaning themselves off of Bud Light” category. It’s nothing extraordinary to a seasoned craft palette – it’s got some flavor, but it’s got a slight underlying taste that falls in line with something that tastes similar to a domestic. It’s got better flavor and hoppiness to it though, which shouldn’t come off too strong for a newbie palette. Would definitely be a good lawn-mowing beer on a hot summer day when you need something crisp and refreshing. Good session beer. (1,099 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12%

A: A lager-like appearance, showing a yellowish gold with a fluffy off-white head that laces itself down the side of the glass.

S: There wasn't a lot to smell here, some faint malts and an ester-y alcohol tinge.

T: A nice bitter start, which quickly lead to some reserved but roasty malts, and then little aftertaste.

M: The mouth feel seems to be where the hops come through, very immediate in the initial bitterness and carbonation, but leaving little behind.

D: Not at all unpleasant, but not enough here to make me crave more. (534 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12%

split a bomber with my father into two sam adams "special" glasses.
A: pours golden, 2 finger head, no lacing
S: light hops, very very faint juniper
T: noticeable juniper, not as much as i was expecting, nice hop bitterness
M: crisp, clean
D: good for a hot day. (263 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy gold with a small white head and no lacing.

S: Biscuity malts and... corn? A little spicy hop character.

T: Unexpectly light on the malt flavor. More slightly biscuity and corn flavor. Quite a nice substantial spicy hoppiness. When it's cold, I'm getting very little juniper flavor. It's just there behind the hops. Remarkably close to a cream ale in my opinion--a little bit like a spicier version of Spotted Cow.

M: Very light and clean.

I'm really disappointed in the lack of juniper flavor in this beer, but moreover it's not really that great a pale ale. (572 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales