Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

pheurton, Mar 07, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

A - A nice golden yellow. Crystal clear and a nice 1 finger head that stayed with the whole glass.

S - Getting the earthy tones, some malt, but mostly earthy hops.

T - I am quite intrigued with this beer. First off on the tounge is spice. It is somewhat tart, yet not sour, but packs a punch. After swallowing a earthy tastes is left in my mouth. It is resiny. Not bad, but just there.

M - It is mod. to high carb. Nothing wrong here.

D - I got a 6 pack and I have had 2. I will probably have another but I am not craving it. It is good, but nothing that I'd make a night of drinking. I am glad I tried it though.

avaccani, Mar 05, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Bright gold with a nice frothy head. Head settled to just a sliver leaving plenty of lace.

S: Light hops with a hint of citrus and malt.

T: Pale malt, light hoppiness. Not much juniper, which was a bit of a disappointment.

M: Clean, crisp and smooth.

D: Easy to drink. I just wish that there was more juniper. Rogue brews some big flavors and I was surprised to find this was a bit ordinary.

mfhlucky13, May 22, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep gold with not a very large head (although I might have chilled it too much).

Aroma is malty, earthy hops, and some tobacco. The bottle claims that this brew is made with juniper berries, but I did not detect any in the nose or in the taste.

Taste has a nice malt characteristic, very earthy hops take over, and leave a somewhat oily aftertaste. Again, I could not detect any junipers. It's a shame, that's what initially drew me to this beer. Prickly and somewhat (surprising) full mouthfeel.

Somewhat disappointing. This had all the makings of an interesting beer, but all in all is rather pedestrian.

Admiraldinty, Dec 06, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

A - This beer poured a slightly orange, pale yellow color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer were citrus fruit hops, no berry smell whatsoever (I've never eaten a juniper berry, but I expect something)

T - The taste of this beer I wasn't too fond of, compared to other great APA's, this one was a little harsh. The overwhelming taste is an herbal bitterness is off putting, but there was enough of a citrus hoppiness to make it an ok beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was not a beer I would seek out again, to many other great APA's in the market

cvfish, Oct 07, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

Sampled as "Yellow Snow Ale", so I don't know how old this bottle may be. Color is a hazy pale shade of copper. Carbonation is fairly high. Head is average-sized and barely off-white. Aroma is of that sweet earthy malt that I've noticed in quite a few Rogue beers. Not bad, but not too interesting. Taste is similar to the aroma, that "Rogue" malt is joined by a zesty hop. Bitterness is relatively high. A hint of something sweet near the finish may be juniper berries. This isn't one of my favorite Rogue beers, it seems plain by their standards, still it's a good drinker that offers a somewhat unique taste.

Gagnonsux, Jul 23, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

blitz134, Jul 12, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

22 ouncer, pours semi cloudy light amber, lifts a nice looking, loose, light oatmeal head, that then goes to a tiny bubble film and leaves better then average plentiful and fine lace. Leafy hop nose, with a hint of mint. Tasty bready malts up front, then dove tailing with resiny and more minty hop notes. Nice balance and better then moderate interest here. One of the huge line of BA worthy Rogue offerings. I dont get much in the way of the advertised juniper, which would have been nice. Worth a try, but nothing too special.

Billolick, Sep 24, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Presentation: 22oz bottle with man & dog stating "Together we can do it." What "it" is I'm not sure, though I will admit to having made yellow snow in my lifetime (haven't we all?).

Appearance: I was surprised by the cloudy and rich orange color of the pour. Generous rocky-looking head persists and coats the glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops are detected, along with unidentifiable spices.

Taste: I felt like this beer didn't know what it wanted to do. No distinct flavor really dominated the scene. It was a mixture of spicy, grassy hops, fruit, and even some caramel sweetness fighting each other.

Mouthfeel: Solid body to this beer. Not creamy smooth or anything like that, but not particularly harsh either.

Drinkability: Crisp and almost "dry" aftertaste make for above average drinkability.

My first sample from Rogue. I expected more but I'm not a big fan of herb/spice beers. I'll try a stout or pale ale and see how that goes.

OldFrothingSlosh, Feb 05, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 25, 2011. The pour is an above average golden yellow with long simmering fizzy white head and delicate carbonation bubbles. On the nose there are a few malts, a few hops, and a little grass with a stronger berry element. The body was in the medium range and very comfortable for the style. The taste does embellish the bittersweet berries and they mix with your basic pale ale malt-hop character. Decent enough.

puboflyons, Aug 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Reviewing from memory - from previous night. On Tap into pint glass.

A: Amber / dark honey color -- it may have been lighter but the lighting was dim at the bar. Noticeable carbonation and one finger head.

S: Some sweet malts, and light pine hop bitterness.

T: Sweet maltiness, some citrus hop bitterness. Maybe some peppery/spiciness in there too.

M: Medium/lighter body. Light carbonation. Crisp and a little dry.

D: Nice aroma and flavors. You can slug this one back. I had a several of these at the bar.

WildTurkey, Nov 14, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy, yellowish-gold color. Tons of carbonation buttles rising throughout the glass. A 3 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly leaving decent lacing.

Initially, the aroma is redolent of hops, but the smell of honey-like malt soon arises and eventually predominates.

The first taste impression is of honey. soon balanced nicely by a hoppy bitterness and a hint of juniper.

Medium mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy, again reminiscent of honey. Very peppery carbonation. Smooth and silky.

A good drinker. Very pleasant.

obywan59, Apr 20, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Look: Golden with a thick creamy head

Aroma: Soft floral aroma with light hops

Taste: Creamy palate with fresh almost astringent green hops

Found this ale to be full of promise on the aroma but somewhat disappointing in the taste with the astringency of the hops removing any hope of a rewarding complex and floral taste. Overall an ok beer but for sessionability it is best to followe it with something slightly more balanced.

exlex, Nov 06, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a big bottle into a huge frozen crystal stein. Good way to drink this one, I think.

A: Pale orangish-yellow with murky look, like unfiltered tea.

S: Floral hops with plenty of berry notes although I cannot distinguish; maybe raspberry? Honey too. Also a touch of nutmeg.

T: Spicy with hints of cinnamon and cloves going on. Pine needle presence that thankfully only lasts a second. Not sweet at all; dry and slighly bitter but ultra refreshing. Recommended on a hot day exactly the way I drank it.

D: Big time on a hot summer day.

WeezyBoPeep, May 05, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

This west coast pale poured a hazy orangish-yellow color with a one finger white head that settled to a thin lace after 10 minutes or so. Decent head retention.

Very mild aroma. Some hops are detectable, and maybe some grains too.

The taste is not offensive in any way, but honestly, I was expecting more. A mild yet pleasant hop bitterness up front which fades rather quickly for a smooth and somewhat unexciting finish.

Thin to medium body with an appropriate pale ale carbonation level.

I could easily do a sixer, but I wouldn't be the one buying it.

Morey's Bottom Line: Rogue overcharges for their beer, and for that reason alone, I won't be buying this again anytime soon. It's a decent pale, but I'd rather have Stoudts Pale, Troegs Pale, or Southern Tier Pale and they're all available in my area (and cheaper too)!

Morey, Dec 09, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Picked up a bottle of Puffin Pale Ale (new alias!) at Rogue's Public House in San Francisco ('free range coastal waters' in the ingredients)

a- cloudy, light copper/orange hue with small, white, creamy head that is mostly diminishing, moderate lacing
s- nose has subdued tones of dry maltiness, with underlying hops and very slight berry aroma
t- dominated by maltiness in the front and middle followed up by a bitter hoppy finish, and yes i catch a little berry in the middle that is probably of the Juniper variety
m- medium bodied, adequate carbonation, dry prolonged finish
d- well-balanced pale ale with nice blending of 4 malts and 2 hops, alcohol is well-hidden, not the most outstanding choice in the pale ale category, I doubt I would have an urge for a repeat tasting

Stoneman78, Aug 19, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

A - A bright, yet hazy golden body with lots of active carbonation...a two finger, white, and fizzy head forms and falls into a chunky one finger cap...good lacing

S - It comes across a little lager-esque at first...once you get by that you can pick up hops, berries, and some grains

T - The taste doesn't come across as a lager...this is an ale...there is a hop presence up front that's pretty earthy...actually the entire beer is earthy throughout...a touch of honey is added for extra sweetness...I'm getting a berry taste but I don't think it's the juniper berries...it's a sweet, fruity berry...there's a touch of grain towards the middle-end of the beer...a spicy ending to this beer pairs the hops and the juniper together

M - Lighter side of medium...the carbonation level is ample, slightly creamy and smooth

D - This was an odd beer for me...you have to give it up to Rogue for using juniper berries in a beer...there is definitely a spicy, hop-like presence in this beer that makes it likable...but there is something there that makes it unusual for me

thain709, Dec 05, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Copper colored brew, mostly clear, with a head of white foam that jumps up a couple of inches.

Earthy hop with a dextrin depth, fruity aroma which I'll assume to be the juniper berries.

Flavor is crisp and fairly clean. Hops are a decent presence, grassy and herbal but fairly prominent for those characteristics. Malt is pale, but the depth of the flavor, especially in the finish, comes from the dry juniper taste. Dextrin, sea side, oyster cracker finish.

Strange brew, not unlike other coastal brews except this one showcases Northwest hops that stand up to any lightly heated malt. Interesting ale, may come back to it in a pinch.

BretSikkink, Jun 23, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Visual: Poured into a funky mason jar but still looks good. Dark copper-orange in color. Solid one-finger head with topo character that takes a a good 10 minutes to dip. leaves patchy lacing around glass.

Smell: Lemon grass, grains.

Taste: Grain and clementines complemented with a leafy, floral hop presence. grainy hop bitterness lingers.

Mouth: light feel in your mouth. low carbonation.

Drunkability: Lingering hop bitterness continually demands another drink so this brew could easily be a repetitive order.

Sidenote: what the hell is free range coastal water? is that worthy of advertisement?

cocogan, Feb 24, 2011

Found a bomber of this in Saltillo MS

Pours a golden color, had a very nice head that lasted a good while. I tried to smell juniper but I mainly got hops and citrus, there's something else there but I am not sure if I'd call it juniper.

The initial taste is a sweet citrus, only briefly though, then the hops come in and right in the back, you got your bitter juniper. None of these flavors are really strong, I think it's what it makes it so refreshing. Kind of bitter aftertaste.

This beer is ok, but at $6 a bomber I expected more.

EDIT: New and fresher bottle, way better!

Bought a bomber of this at Papa V's, Tupelo MS, $6 incl taxes

Poured into my Raise your Pints pint glass, beautiful brew, very nice head that sticks to the glas, almost golden in color.

Not much going on smell wise, very mild,like malty citrus

Taste is nice, none of the flavors are overwhelming but I get some very faint sweetness up front then the hops and juniper hit.

The mouthfeel is what really gets me, for lack of better words I'd say it feels like drinking milk. Smooth and soft while still nicely carbonated.

I like this a lot, glad I didn't review it the first time I had this, I think that bottle was old. This is a perfect beer for a tornado loaded MS day. I'll have one any other day too though :)

yesferro, Sep 18, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours with a thin half-finger white head that is somewhat creamy and very quickly dissipates to a patchy layer of thin lace on top of the beer. Leaves slight lacing as you drink. The color is a hazy honey/orange. Looks like my first homebrew!

Smell - Slightly sweet and mainly bitter/crisp hops up front. Some lighter-colored fresh fruit aromas behind this, with a bready malt aroma all the way in the back. There is little alcohol detectable on the nose.

Taste - Very bready and maybe even toasted malt character up front, with bittering, crisp, and somewhat sweet hops up next. I'm trying to pick up on the juniper, and maybe it's slightly there, but nothing definite. It finishes mainly with bready malt and some fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is earth and hops. Little alcohol throughout.

Mouthfeel - Some carbonation bite right away, but it mellows out toward the finish and becomes quite refreshing and complimenting to the overall character of the beer. It has a heavy medium-body (poured thickly) and is pretty smooth.

Drinkability - Easy! The flavors are of average pale ale strength, something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I could take down a six pack in a night easily.

A decent pale ale, although I'm a little dissapointed that a beer having the word "juniper" in its title is, at least to my taste buds, pretty much completely absent of juniper flavors or aromas. Worth a try, and probably a good sessioning beer.

dblinkhorn, Oct 29, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Bomber poured into pint glass.

Pours golden with plenty of foam. Nose is of vanilla (or something to do with baking besides yeast), hops, and spice...seems pretty balanced. Just a touch of alcohol. Very crisp, spicy and actually quite light. Understated malt and hop flavor. Juniper is somewhat difficult to detect, although it's in there somewhere. Pretty good, definitely worth a try, but maybe not again any time soon. Not quite as much as I had hoped for especially for someone who likes gin as much as I do.

cdpike, Jul 07, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours with one finger thick head of white color that withers off. Decent lacing. Copperish amber color. Good number of bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of malt, some weird weed (may be juniper berries as they say) and some hops which are way suppressed.

Taste: Very much the same as nose. Good balance with flavor moving towards that unknown taste. I personally have not taste juniper or no what it is. Good dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Just a tad perceived bitterness.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Typical bitterness and astringency but not so dominant.

Good beer. Not to my liking.

Style Rate: Herb/spiced beer he he :) 3.5 Not correct as i don't know what juniper is, just that it is some kind of berry.

Personal rate: 3.5

I wish it were more intoxicating.

AmitC, Nov 25, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I'm a big fan of Rogue Beers. Great product, great packaging, great marketing. I also love juniper in gin and the smell of pine trees, so this beer should be a match made in heaven.

This Rogue pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a big, bubbly head. Lots of nice lacing.

Surprisingly there isn't a ton of juniper on the nose. It's like if you took a handful of spicy grapefruit, melted one caramel on it and then ground up a couple of those spiky things from a pine cone.

This beer tastes a lot like it smells. Maybe a touch more pine on the palate than the nose. Not blowing me away.

Mouthfeel is good. Thicker than I expected and a long lasting finish that's satisfying.

NStLincoln, Dec 08, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a light straw color with a thin white head, nothing special here. Smells of lots of hops and berries, a little bit of leafy earthliness as well.

Taste is very hoppy, the juniper berries come through a little on the back end although is seems like the hops slightly overpower everything else. Mouthfeel is pretty good, well balanced. Overall a pretty good brew, but nothing more.

Treyliff, Sep 17, 2011