Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,301
4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a beautiful pale golden color with a nice creamy head and a clinging lace. Citrus aromas from th hops blend well with the piney smell from the juniper berries. Slick hoppy flavors with a nice gin like flavor from the juniper berries again. A very slick and refreshing mouthfeel to it that makes this beer extremely drinkable. Yet another great offereing from Rogue. A pale ale with a twist that definitely wouldn't be for everyone but if you like beer and you like gin then you will probably like this. (513 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a hazy dark golden yellow with a white head that fades fast with some good lacing throughout. The smell is a usual rogue, with some malt, hop, and spice notes. The taste starts malty with some nice spicy notes, then stays malty throughout with a nice bitter and dry finish. The aftertaste stays somewhat bitter and a little hoppy. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a nice balance in flavor. This is an easy drinker, full of flavor that isn't overwhelming and has plenty of great attributes that contribute to a great beer. This beer, like all rogues, is worth drinking. Another great beer from Rogue. (610 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

2001 edition. Many bubbles ascend rapidly to form a frothy white head with great staying power. Pale orange/copper in color, definitely pale ale. Sweet floral hop aromas abound in the nose. Hints of toasted malt and what I'm guessing is the product of juniper berries from the bottle's statement (but I've never had juniper berries, so I wouldn't know). Flavors appear that jump between malty and hoppy as it rolls over your palate, and combine in a well-balanced sweetness. Medium body. Hints of what I again assume is the juniper abound. Later on, a small amount of rind-like flavor appears and leaves a bit of bitterness behind on the edges of your tongue. Although I expected more of a spicy brew, this is a great, well-balanced beer that I find very satisfying. (766 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

The first of the Rogues I will try over the coming week or so. I thought I would go with a Pale Ale, something the Americans are known for, and with the addition of Juniper Berries?

Poured out a hazy golden with a thick fluffy sticky 2 inch head. It slowly fell to a 2mm top and thick clingyness along the sides of the glass.

A very floral aroma with some fruity sweetness which I gather is Juniper berry? Never having seen them or tasted or smelt them before, I have no idea what to look for.

A nice sweet malt is pushed away by a big punch of hoppy character. Bloody Americans :P
Very fruit characters, with some grassy overtones, and dry hop finish. The hop astringincy lingers, but I have been enjoying that lately.

Overally, a very good brew to get into the American craft beers. It gives that hoppiness that seems to be what the Americans are all about, but it's not overly harsh. A fantastic Pale Ale that has thus far put most of the Australian efforts to shame from just a glassful of it. (1,001 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

It is surprising that for a winter seasonal, this is one of Rogue's lighter and more drinkable offerings. Also I am not sure why this is classified as an herbed/spiced beer, since the only extra ingredient is juniper berries although juniper berries could be considered to have a somewhat spicy flavor. There is no actual spice in the beer though. A fruit beer, perhaps? Well, not really. This is essentially a light-ish pale ale with an accented hop bite, and a bitter tartness from the juniper berries which are not at all sweet berries, they're used to make gin remember? A light, clear gold, with average head and lacing. The malts are the high point of the beer, and are generally light and biscuity but there is a roastier, almost chocolatey undercurrent that really appeals to me. A very crisp, clean, appealing taste in which no yeast intrudes, the end result being refreshing if maybe a little one-dimensional. The hops close things out with a tweak of bitterness. Aftertaste is dry and a bit metallic, not particularly good. It's that malt that keeps me intrigued though. (1,081 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Kind of golden colored, bubbly. Smells very strongly of berries. Taste begins sweet of a wild berry but finishes with a strong bitter taste that ends in hoppiness. Not a bad beer, I wasn't sure what to expect when I popped the top on this bottle. It would probably go very good with some boneless honey wings. It goes down easy enough to go back for seconds (357 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

I received the Yellow Snow Pale Ale (an alias for the Juniper Pale Ale, as I am informed by beeradvocate) as a secret santa gift from our beer club. This was a good representation of the style, as Rogue continues to not disappoint. A great hoppy aroma, and a really nice IPA taste. This is definitely a beer that I could stay with all night.
One of the measures that our beer club uses is "would you buy a six pack of it?" and my answer would be yes... (453 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

slightly hazy orangish golden color. bright white head. decent lacing and good head retention.

I do smell a bit of the juniper in there, but also some toffee aroma?

well balanced taste, with just a bit of bitter piney flavor. medium body, smooth carbonation. very easy to drink (280 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

It is a golden orange color with a thin white head and minimal lacing. The smell was fruit and hops, with a bit of a doughy smell. The flavor packed some spice, but nothing overwhelming like some other spiced varieties. The hops provided the most flavor in my book- making this beer seem pretty traditional to me. A solid brew. (327 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Going into this I really did not know what a Juniper berry was...but that proved not to be too much of a problem...

The beer poured into a pint glass a golden color from a 22oz bomber(yeast sediment was visible through the bottle, but not so much in the beer), with carbonation that was visible throughout the entire drinking experience. It had a 1/4 inch or less head that was snow white, that disappeared quickly. The head left a bubbly white lace around the glass.
Smell was of strong herbal/citrus hops(but that might also be coming from the juniper berries) and a nice presence of slightly sweet malt.
Taste: this is a pale ale. The juniper part might turn people off thinking what they will, but it really is a nice american pale ale. The hops were present throughout the entire body, but the malt, which was very mellow and present mainly in the beginning and middle of the body, was there just enough to balance(but the hops was still the star quality). The finish was crisp, and almost clean but a herbal/spice flavor lingers for quite a while.
Mouthfeel/drinkability: more than moderate carbonation, medium bodied. I feel that this is more balanced than, but still representative of the american pale. Great american pale ale...I'm really glad I gave it a try...and will probably pick it up again. (1,315 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a decent golden pale color with a thick head that recedes down to a one-finger head, leaving some lacing in the result. Nice and bready upfront, malty and with the juniper berries adding a nice but subtle touch to the aroma. There's almost a minty quality in the aroma as well.

Taste is smooth and malty upfront with a biscuity touch in the mouthfeel and a slight dryness at the back of the throat. The juniper seems hidden though but in its' place is a decent and drinkable pale ale. There is a slight mint feeling in the aftertaste but that's all that I can detect.

Overall, a solid pale ale that when fresh, would no doubt taste much much better. (658 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Poured a golden color, good sized white head, good lace.
S: Juniper berries and good amarillo hop smell, citrusy.
T: Good malt profile up front, biscutty/bready. Followed by good hoppy taste, not too bitter. A little bit of juniper spice to the aftertaste as well
M: Light to medium bodied, good mouthfeel
D: This is one of my favorite rogue beers, very drinkable. (367 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this w/ me. Poured cold and allowed to warm in a goblet.

A - A brilliant amber w/ 2 fingers of white foam that creates sporadic lace on the glass. This ale had a slight chill haze when poured.

S - A light apricot aroma is fragrant w/ a subtle floral note. There is a pleasant aromatic pine/juniper note w/ an herbal aspect. The citrusy amarillo hop aroma is noticeable in the nose.

M - Grainy w/ a moderate amount of bitterness up front. The malt provides a decently balanced feel. A full effervessence contributes to the balance also w/ a nice touch of malty warmth underneath and herbal tinges.

T - A smooth malt flavor w/ a good juicy dose of tangerine flavored citrus hops. Plenty of malt flavor w/ crystal influence is detected in the sweetness of the flavor. A piney note that carries on until the sweetness and subtle warming w/ a hint of spice.

D - Very decent drinkability wise. This is a nice NW pale w/ plenty of hop flavor and the juniper is hinted at also. The balance is very good, I would definitely pick this one up again. (1,082 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Thought this would be a try-once bottle but we've had at least a sixer. Very drinkable and not as much juniper considering the name. The pretty hop aromatics are assertive and complex. Would make a great everyday pale ale if it was local. One of my favorite Rogues. (265 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm drinking this from a bottle labelled "Yellow Snow IPA" which according to the Beer Advocate is an alias for Juniper Pale Ale. It has great head retention. Smells of pine (Juniper i guess) and has a very earthy, grassy hop scent. I'm not a fan of the name but it is good beer. Much better than the stuff i had earlier in a can from Belgium. (343 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle with the usual Rogue screen printing.

A: Very nice initial color, kind of a darker straw color, with a good head. No lacing, only a small ring remains around the edge after the beer sits for a while.

S: Very nice piney (juniper I guess) hop smells, slightly floral, with some light earthy malts in the background.

T: Nice crisp hop blast, very piney but light and not overbearing. Not much malts going on, but some lesser light grassy/earthy malts in the background

M: Good mouthfeel but a not so good oily aftertaste. Well carbonated.

D: Very easy to drink and very smooth, I could drink it all day.

One of my favorite Rogue offerings. Nothing crazy, but a solid, well hopped, easy to drink pale ale. Rogue doesn't really have an IPA they put out regularly but I'd put this as close to an IPA as anything else Rogue offers. A definite buy again. (879 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

I'm not gonna lie to you and pretend I know the first thing about juniper berries (other than the fact they are used in the gin-making process). But since I firmly believe that beer should make a person think, here are a few fun juniper berry tidbits for all y'all:
-it's a remedy to treat tapeworm
-In the Ayurvedic system (don't ask me) juniper is believed to not only purify the body but also the aura.
-contains thujone, which I believe is a hallucinogen (of absinthe fame)
-It has stimulant and analgesic properties.
-it helps clear acid wastes from the body.
-It acts on the urinary, respiratory, nervous and digestive systems
-it's an insect repellant
-It can be used during labor to stimulate contractions.
-And it makes your urine smell like violets (as yet unproven by yours-truly).

Anyway,

This is of the 2002 breed.
Pours a smogged golden under a bleached beige head.
Nose full of ferns and pine needles, and black-light ganja. Notations of dish-washing liquid. The berry sweetness present may or may not be imaginary.
Toasty up front. Progresses towards english muffins, topped with a spit of butter. Not sweet at all, at least right away. Hops are certainly the featured event here. Lightly resinous pine cone Amarillos (oh how I love them), along with the more abrasive and metallic Styrian Goldies. Interesting cross. There's a suggestion of blueberries soaked in gin- adding minor sweetness to the general bitterness- and that is my only entrance to the topic of juniper berries.
Medium bodied and monster drinkable, though that has nothing to do with any sort of berry.
Not as unique as expected, and a bit out-of-place as a winter seasonal, but a dandy pale ale regardless.

Now off to see if that whole violets thing is true. (1,768 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

No idea what a juniper berry tastes like so here goes.

Pours like a very nice pale ale, clear gold pale color, big white head, lots of carbonation. Keeps a nice thin head throughout the whole drink which is impressive. Aroma is very malty with mild hoppyness, floral notes (maybe junipers?) A nice rich pale ale aroma with a hint of spicyness.

Taste is very smooth and malty, creamy mouthfeel with good carbonation. A very nice touch of fruity sweetness and then finishes very dry. (maybe the only detraction)

Not a far stretch from a typical pale ale but with a richer, smoother and maltier flavor. I can detect a bit of fruity bitterness in the finish that could be from the berries (like sucking on a grape skin).

This is a great beer. Definately will put this on my list of favorites. (802 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

The beer pours a golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It boasts of pale ale malts and an array of floral hops. The taste is good as well. It is a light, pale beer with an awesome hop flavor and a dry finish. It says it is brewed with juniper berries, but I don't taste them. It is a good beer nonetheless. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks very well. I've never had a bad beer from these guys. It didn't know what to expect with this only because of the name, but I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Quaffer for helping me reel in my "white whale." (620 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Another 22 fl.oz of Rogue, yippee, I have not had a new Rogue beer in ages, so I was very happy when I saw this untried offering in a local store, and so I jumped at the chance of trying this "newbie" from the Oregon based master brewers.

Labeled as “Yellow Snow Ale 2002”, it pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a light orange hue, that does have a remarkable resemblance to the last urine sample I gave the Doctor. A white frothy head that is comprised of large frothy bubbles, like the bottle, adds character to its presentation, but leaves very little lace. Average carbonation, but the head is soon gone almost completely, only a thin surface covering is left.
Nose is immediately spicy but it has a sweet honey dimension to it. Initial tastes are of restrained bitterness, which lead to a ‘soft’ malty middle. The spiciness then makes it entrance and intermingles incredibly well with the hops. This is the beers single greatest asset and uniqueness in my humble opinion. My guess is that the Styrian Golding and Amarillo Hops, are in a deeply disturbing, but tempestuous, ‘Menage-a-Trois’ with the Juniper Berries.

Overall this beer is different, almost unique, I like the controlled hop-bitterness and the ‘in-situ’ spicy facet, all combined together in an easy drinking, highly refreshing beer.

I remember the first time I created yellow snow when I was 5, and even when I spelled my name in it, well, to be honest I only got to doing the first 3 letters of my long last name, but hey I tried. Yellow Snow – who would have thought that some 28 years later I would enjoy drinking it some 3,000 miles away?

A very well-balanced and intriguing beer. Clean, crisp and highly quaffable. Well worth a try, though some may not understand its restrained complexities. (1,797 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

I picked up a 22oz bomber of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. It pours out a slightly murky, transparent golden-amber. A respectable, big bubbly head rolls up a good two fingers breadth. Carbonation bubbles are big, lazy and sparse.

Piney hops are big on the nose, and I swear I think I can smell those Juniper berries. Other than that I detect the sweet underlying scent of the malt.

Taste is lead off richly by sweet, creamy, flat malts. Piney hop flavor takes over and rides it out to the end. The aftertaste is dry and slightly spicy. Mouthfeel is medium light and very crisp on the palate.

I like this one a lot, both the idea of it, and the taste. I nice switch up from a standard pale ale. I really regret not trying this on draft when having the chance. There’s always next time though. (817 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

8/19/2005 $4.65 22 oz. 5.30% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a crystal clear medium straw with over an inch of creamy white head.

Aroma:

Fragrantly hoppy, with citrus overtones coupled with a nice sweet backbone and a hint of flowers.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Hop profile is very similar to Dead Guy Ale, with a touch of anise as well as a subtle floral quality. Malt presence is quite prevalent, leading to a nice sweet midbody. Finish is a bit bitter, though with a nice aftertaste. (500 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

- Gotta love the big bubba bottle, the name, and the victorious skier dude with mutt print!
- A clear, honey-colored ale with a white, fizzy head that rapidly dissipates.
- Floral and fruity hops invade the nostrils, supported by an underlayer of malt and a touch of spice.
- Smooth, malty body with fairly dynamic carbonation. Hops are ubiquitous, but not overbearing. Dry, spicy, mildly bitter finish.
- A highly drinkable pale ale with a unique twinge imparted by juniper berries. Another round, bartender! (515 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours out an ambercolor with a thin flimsy white head and minimal lace. Has an aroma of oily hops that remind me of melon and sycamore trees. Very good smell. Tastes incredibly well balanced. The sweet foundation of malts stands up very well to the hops that taste exactly like they smell. The beer has a light/medium body that lends well to enjoying this beer through the night. Another solid beer from Rogue. (410 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

I was toying with going out to watch the Pitt/Syracuse basketball game tonight but with the pending weather event and my warm house, I have decided to forgo going out. That means that I will have a prolonged amount of time to spend drinking this beer and I am looking forward to its company.

My initial pour created just over a finger of off-white head with low retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had an earthy characteristic, less "floral" as noted on the bottle and more herbal, if that makes any sense. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a peppery blast of spiciness on the tongue. Finish was as advertised: "dry [and] spicy". Mmmm. Let's see how I feel about it after a bomber's worth all to myself, but I would say that this is certainly worth a try, if not something for an occasional drink. (834 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales