Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer gushed out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap, but didn't seem overly foamy as I poured it into the glass. Rich, lemony orange-amber with a small amount of haze. The bone white head is medium in size and softly undulating on top as it descends. Not much lace, which is odd for a Rogue beer.

The nose is quite nice. I expected it to smell like juniper berries (what gin is flavored with), but it doesn't. It smells citrusy, though not really like an IPA or an APA. It's more on the order of pineapple and candied lemon peel. The flavor isn't all that wonderful. The aroma translates well to the palate, but there's also an earthy, spicy, intense herbalness that I don't find all that enjoyable. Not bad, but if the flavor followed the nose more closely, this would be a better beer.

There's a dry, crackery malt base with a softly bitter contribution from the hops and the flavors that I just described. The finish is dry, bitter and lemony, leaving the tongue absolutely clean. The body is medium, generally speaking, but there's too much carbonation (hence, Mount Juniper on crown cracking).

Juniper Pale Ale is interesting beer, but isn't one that I'll pick up again. I give Rogue credit for trying something different, but this one doesn't rise to the level of some of their other, better known, offerings.

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

Deep straw-yellow in color, creamy white head. Very clear and very appealing.

Malty nose. British scents--somewhat faint. Good malt smell, though.

Very delicious. Creamy, malty and smooth. Juniper berries gives the beer a near perfect spice. Nice low-medium bitter on the back of tongue. Really, an exceptional flavor.

Body is a touch too thin. Could be a little thicker to compliment the wonderful malt flavor.

I could drink three 22s without thinking. Easy.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I picked up a 22oz bomber of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. It pours out a slightly murky, transparent golden-amber. A respectable, big bubbly head rolls up a good two fingers breadth. Carbonation bubbles are big, lazy and sparse.

Piney hops are big on the nose, and I swear I think I can smell those Juniper berries. Other than that I detect the sweet underlying scent of the malt.

Taste is lead off richly by sweet, creamy, flat malts. Piney hop flavor takes over and rides it out to the end. The aftertaste is dry and slightly spicy. Mouthfeel is medium light and very crisp on the palate.

I like this one a lot, both the idea of it, and the taste. I nice switch up from a standard pale ale. I really regret not trying this on draft when having the chance. There’s always next time though.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow brew that is almost electric yellow.

Smell is mild malt and a mild sour scent.

Taste is very hoppy with a load of bitterness up front. The Grapefruit flavor of cascade hops starts to come out. It looks like a pilsner but tastes like an IPA.

Mouthfeel is good.

OK drinkable, but an unbalanced brew. I would pick a Stone Pale Ale or Sam Adams Winter Lager over this.

It pours a slighty hazy sunny gold, fairly carbonated and glinting in the light. Three fingers of dense white head grows and shrinks in a quick cycle. Slick lacing slides a bit, then clings to the glass.

In the aroma, a light malt sweetness twists around a dry perfume of grapefruit and berries. A butterscotch undercurrent surfaces toward the end, and lingers gently.

Upon sipping, a prompt mild malt sweetness is cut short by a stout current of almost pulpy grapefruit. A twist of butterscotch populates the middle. A duet of yeast/grain doughiness and bitter hop fruit notes works toward the end. The finish is carried by more hops bitterness and a vague grassiness. Balanced and basic, it comes across as fresh and fun.

Between light and medium bodied, there's just enough consistency to leave the flavor elements on the palate. The hops linger with a glowing tingle on the tongue.

The lighter malt profile blends rather uniquely with the solid hops character, making it different and quite good. The sweetness is milder than the hops would lead you to expect, in anticipation of balance, and the surprise is worthwhile. The basic elements are cleverly balanced, and refresh rewardingly, making another a virtual certainty. A fresh departure from so many more complex beers, it's proud of its simplicity, as it should be. And so I'll watch out where those huskies go, because I'll likely want to drink more of that Yellow Snow.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

A small sample served from the 750 mL bottle. The color is golden, with a wispy head. The smell is sugary sweet. The taste has a strong spicing, with a strong hoppiness to it. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, could probably have a few.

Ahh...not bad, but not a world-beater. Thank you to my youngest brother for a sample. Rogue makes so many good beers, but this one just doesn't blow my mind the same way the others do.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A little haze in it's golden color, moderate white head. Smell of juniper berries is very apparent, paired with a nice hops aroma. Taste is spicy and bitter. This is a very unique brew, I split a bomber with a macro drinking buddy of mine, and he didn't have many kind words for it. I thought it was good, and something I would consider getting again.

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Golden amber hue with an off white cream colored head leaves behind ample lacing fluffy appearance nice. Aroma: Touch of Juniper berries brings about an herbal tea quality to the flavor along with the pale malts and mild citrus tone hops are light here different from most Rogue products. Taste: Slight sweet spicy golden ale with an herbal hop profile not bad just nothing blowing me away I did enjoy. Mouthfeel: Light medium bodied decent carbonation slightly fluffy texture. Drinkability: Strange unique quality added from the juniper berries can't say I would frequent drinking this beer but it was nice for something different.

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

Bottle – Poured a yellow brew with a nice large head with standard retention. Aroma is really sweet with nice touché of hops and malts coming out of my glass. Taste is incredible with the usual sweetness and refreshing taste of a pale ale but with added bonus of juniper berries. I love the taste of gin and I think I find here again but without the strong alcohol content. Another truly great beer from Rogue and one underrated beer in my own opinion.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

My impression is that this is some form a standard rogue ale recipe with a different set of spices. For me that was enjoyable enough.
Aroma is a nice mixture of Am. style hops with notes of citrus, but the greater aroma came from the Juniper leaving a strong sense of pine.
Pours slightly cloudy golden with firm off white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing.
In the flavor the pine took a back seat (although still noticeable) to the strong hop presence and pale malt foundation. Nicely balanced overall.
Didn't smooth up as much as I would have liked as warmed, but stayed enoughable throughout. Medium thickness.
Overall, good plus.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

It is surprising that for a winter seasonal, this is one of Rogue's lighter and more drinkable offerings. Also I am not sure why this is classified as an herbed/spiced beer, since the only extra ingredient is juniper berries although juniper berries could be considered to have a somewhat spicy flavor. There is no actual spice in the beer though. A fruit beer, perhaps? Well, not really. This is essentially a light-ish pale ale with an accented hop bite, and a bitter tartness from the juniper berries which are not at all sweet berries, they're used to make gin remember? A light, clear gold, with average head and lacing. The malts are the high point of the beer, and are generally light and biscuity but there is a roastier, almost chocolatey undercurrent that really appeals to me. A very crisp, clean, appealing taste in which no yeast intrudes, the end result being refreshing if maybe a little one-dimensional. The hops close things out with a tweak of bitterness. Aftertaste is dry and a bit metallic, not particularly good. It's that malt that keeps me intrigued though.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

The beer is a medium, unassuming amber, a little towards gold, topped with a hugely thick off white froth that juts forth out of the glass. It settles down to about half an inch after about five minutes, leaving the glass completely covered with lace where it once was. Probably the most lace I've ever seen left by a beer, completely obscuring the empty glass with layers of sticky foam, clumping up on itself in some places. Just stunning.
The aroma is only lightly malty, with a strong, assertive hopping dominating. An odd floral aroma, with a pungent piney hoppiness. I don't know what they added to this (juniper, after checking out some other reviews), but it adds a very distinct, dogwood-like floral aroma. Just enough toasty malt creeps through to prevent the beer from becoming one sided.
The flavor starts out a bit thin, with only slight toasty malt, and an immediately present floral, vaguely appley sweetness. It's not an estery flavor, something else entirely. A fairly clean brew, the sip moving directly into a moderate hopping, very powerfully piney, with a bit of citric lemon flavor. The floral flavor takes on some dogwood-like bitterness, like chewing on a flower petal, which I have actually done as a kid. The pine continues with no signs of letting up, some lilac flavor towards the end, finishing with a strange, vegetal astringency, almost like broccoli rob. The hops feel fairly mild, and most of the bittering comes from the added plant life. A lingering piney hop flavor, reminiscent of an actual coniferous tree, contributing an almost overwhelming bitterness. Thankfully it loses some steam in the aftertaste, settling into a moderate piney/floral bitterness. Fairly light bodied, with moderate carbonation. I don't know what to say about the mouthfeel. I was too busy having my tongue stabbed with pine cones to notice. I'd say it was fairly smooth drinking.
This is definitely whacked out stuff. It's so incredibly bitter that it's endearing, and I challenged myself to another pint. I could stand for a bit more malt, but for some reason balance doesn't seem like an issue with this one. I have no clue what juniper tastes like, but it's definitely piney and real damn bitter in a floral, vegetal way. No one else seemed to think this was especially bitter, and I recall being a bit "meh" about the bottle when I had it a couple years ago. The tap version was seriously bitter stuff. Maybe it was dry-berried? If you like punishment that transcends anything a hop can produce, seek this keg out.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is good. It boasts of pale ale malts and an array of floral hops. The taste is good as well. It is a light, pale beer with an awesome hop flavor and a dry finish. It says it is brewed with juniper berries, but I don't taste them. It is a good beer nonetheless. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks very well. I've never had a bad beer from these guys. It didn't know what to expect with this only because of the name, but I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks Quaffer for helping me reel in my "white whale."

3.5/5  rDev -3%

One of my favorite Rogue bottles thus far. Pours a medium straw yellow with a puffy off-white head. Smells of light, macro-ish malt, with palpable un-macroish floral and citrusy hop notes. Taste is light, crisp, smooth malts with a touch of fruitiness. Hops are the main event here; very grapefruit-citrusy in flavor, but not too bitter. Finish is a touch oily, bitter, and thirst-quenching. I'd rather drink this in the summer than in the winter. Reminds me a little of New Belgium's Loft (but I like the Loft more).

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a hazy orange-yellow with a sizable white head that dissipated over time. The aroma was light, fresh, and sweet. Tasting it caught me by surprise, as the light aroma indicated that it would be a delicate mouthfeel. Not so -- it was firm and almost 'chunky'. The aftertaste was bitter and effervescent, while the flavor was almost sugary. Its a fairly easy drinking brew -- for something called 'Yellow Snow' it really seemed more appropriate for a summers day. Good, but not great, I'd buy it, order it, and drink it -- but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Small head, amber to red colour, slightly hazy.

Smell: Strong flowery hop aroma, raisins.

Taste: Not quite the intensity of flavour the nose suggested. Nice flowery hops and orange rind flavours. Cannot find the juniper berry flavours.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with faint tartness.

Drinkability/Notes: Kind of your run of the mill pale ale. Nothing to get too excited about, just a good drink. Reminds me of a not quite as powerful Anchor Liberty Ale.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Burnt orange colour with a reasonably-sized head that settles quickly and gives up just a bit of lace. Interesting colour.

Equally interesting aroma. Hops, an earthy pine like quality. Tastes quite unusual, having an almost pungent character, from the juniper berries I would imagine. Slightly hoppy and spicy.

Overall this beer comes off as just interesting, but odd somehow without really finding the right spot to tickle and make it all worth while.

I'll have to revisit it at some time I suppose, see what I think later on.

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just above average, I was kind of exspecting more. Nice yellowish amber color with a lacey head. It is kinda "flat" however. Subtle hops, just barely there. Nothing really jumps out at you, except the name. I would drink this again, but I won't go out of my way to find it.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Another nice prouct from the folks at Rogue Ales. This brew is dark amber/copper with a nicely developed off-white head of ivory billows. Good retention and decent lace, though not glass-coating.

The nose is good and gives note of the hops and the nice malt base. Flavors tend toward citrus fruit notes though the lighting spicing sharpen the edge and give this brew some nice tight tartness. The feel is smooth but has nice crispness in the ending. Eminently drinkable and refreshing.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a colour of saffron infused beer. I almost wanted to make risotto milanese with this at first glance. Smelled of hops with a definate piney hoppy smell. Taste was Hoppy with a hint of gin like spice from the juniper berries. Fortunately the jumiper didnt overwhelm as I find Gin disgusting. It was more of the subtle juniper used in german or czech recipes. Mouthfeel was a bit sticky due to the hops but good none the less. I found this beer VERY drinkable and another great offering from Rogue. I wish it were around more of the year.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a slightly more golden orange than "yellow snow" yellow, with a nice white head that sinks to a pilsner like film (odd).

Aroma...I almost always smell the yeast first when I smell beer, and I can tell right off the bat, even if I didn't have a label to go by, this is a Rogue offering. Love their yeast too, it's just slightly sweet and nutty. Other smells are oily, rind-like hops, and another somewhat hop-like flavor I can't figure out (which I'd assume is the juniper).

Taste is less refined that many other Rogue offerings, with a very tart, acidic rind-like hop attack, and a grainy, thinner, non ale-like malt, again, very pilsner-like. Finish lacks the malt that I think it could benefit from, but the after taste, once the lingering bitterness goes away, is quite pleasant on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is appropriate, but the carbonation seems a bit aggressive.

As with any beers that come in bombers, drinkability is limited -- but with this beer, unlike some others, I don't think I'd want more than one in a session. It was enjoyable for the duration of the bottle though.

A very odd ale, but enjoyable. I'll have to try this again -- but probably not for a while.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pours a golden orange color with a thick creamy head. The head lasted through most of the drink, and glass lacing was produced. The aroma is of malt and honey tones. The malt flavor is quite smooth, and some bitterness and spiciness arrived on the tongue after swallowing. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp, and I noticed the bitterness from the hops sticks to the back of your tongue well after swallowing. Enjoyable and drinkable, even though the name of this one gets you thinking...

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

NOTE!: I must say I experienced this one after a Victory Hopdevil, which undoubtely affected my perception of the current beer's hoppiness.

This one poured with a medium frothy head and left frothy lacing. It was yellow with a tinge of orange. It tasted mildly hoppy with some subtle spicyness perhaps? Mouthfeel was a little thin and lacked excitement. A decent beer but is missing the oomph and vibrancy I enjoy.

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat the yellow snow...
A light yellow pour with a good size head. It had a semi floral smell, nothing spectacular. I didn't care much for the taste I was upset with the lack of balance that rogue usually exceeds in. I like hoppy, but this was too much.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales