Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,294 | Reviews: 679
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep gold with an adequate head and minimal retention. Some minimal lacing as you drink.

Smell: Hoppy and piney and a little floral.

Taste: Dominant pine and hops upfront, then ends more on the malty side with a mild sweetness. It leans on the dry side. There’s a very slight taste to this that reminds me of the hint of a pilsner somewhere in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied but feels right for the taste of the beer, crisp and carbonated. Sticks to the tongue a bit at the end.

Overall: I’m classifying this in the “it’s a good craft beer to try for craft beer newbies weaning themselves off of Bud Light” category. It’s nothing extraordinary to a seasoned craft palette – it’s got some flavor, but it’s got a slight underlying taste that falls in line with something that tastes similar to a domestic. It’s got better flavor and hoppiness to it though, which shouldn’t come off too strong for a newbie palette. Would definitely be a good lawn-mowing beer on a hot summer day when you need something crisp and refreshing. Good session beer.

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold with white head

S - Not much aroma. Slight earthy/vegetable smell.

T - Nice spiciness up front with a hint of sweetness that quickly transitions to flowery bitterness.

M - Crisp and thin mouthfeel.

O - This is light, refreshing, and very drinkable. This makes a great session beer.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Golden hue. Pours a 1 finger foamy white head. Slight effervescence. Head settles leaving a light foamy blanket on the surface. Very spotty lacing.

S: Light sourdough bread, with a little pine and floral components.

T: Dry and piney with a little clove and oregano.

M: Light and crisp. Bitter throughout. Dry finish. The spice is less in the flavor, but kind of filters up into the nasal cavity.

D: Character will dictate a sipping experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent hue, slight head, and a little lacing. Nose is bready and piney. Piney hop accentuated with a little Italian spice. Dry and bitter. Overall, this is a good quaff.

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

the juniper doesn't really come out as much as it should I don't think in this brew, not nearly as out there as the john john ale, but still a decent pale ale for what it is. hazy brassy colored with a short white head, rather generic, yet still really appealing with a little foam running down the side of my frosted pint glass. slightly fruity nose, slightly astringent, slightly bland. American malted barley and west coast hops in lower dose for the style. the flavor is balanced, but more malty than hoppy I think, a touch of toasted grain bread to it, and the juniper comes in at the end with a fresh pine medicinal vibe. its not out of place really, just sort of a funny addition. I much prefer the john john for juniper, although I didn't love that beer either. bright carbonation and a drinkably medium body, if it wasn't so funny in the stomach id have several. not my favorite thing from rogue, but I certainly appreciate the attempt.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%

1pt 6oz bottle poured into a nonic pint.

S - Little bit of sweetness, biscuit graininess. Mild grassy hops.

A - Thick/rocky white head packed with tiny bubbles. Perfect clarity inside the golden color. Tons of sticky lacing.

T - Starts with an early appearance from dominant pine hops. Malt is mild and lacks defining character. Twangy weird spice flavor midway through and into the finish. Never dries up.

M - Semi-dry, medium to medium-light body, medium-light carbonation.

O - Beautiful looking beer. Not the freshest example I'm sure. Aroma was modest and the flavor was unusual. Had near the same mouthfeel as a good pale ale. Unique in its own right but I didn't especially enjoy the strange twanginess to the flavor. Worth trying once but not quite worth seeking out again.

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, thanks Rogue, no freshness dating on the bottle. I have had it for at least a month in the fridge, so it's not super fresh.

Clear, light end of gold beer with a very lovely white, rocky head. Lots of it on the pour, nice retention, lacing, and clumpiness.

I'm definitely thinking this is not too fresh judging by the aroma, or lack thereof. The hops seem to have mostly disappeared. There's a solid pale malt base, nice graininess, and a subtle, cooling herbal note. I'm really digging at the moment, but it's not like a fresh pale ale. Oh, and of course the Pacman yeast.

The taste is essentially as I described the aroma. The evergreen, cool herb is perhaps more distinct and the grainy malt is very hearty.

Nice, medium weight in the mouth. Despite the head, the carbonation is medium-low.

I don't feel like this is an ideally fresh sample, but I know it has been treated well (refrigerated). The Juniper isn't overwhelming at all, in fact, it seems barely there to me, but it's nice.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy apricot. White head.
Smell: Very light honey and fruit.
Taste: Refreshing. Light fruit. Hoppy.
Mouthfeel: Smooth.

This is a good tasting brew. There is nothing really outstanding about any one facet, except that it is all-around enjoyable; a great warm, summer day drink. I would get it again, but wouldn't go searching for it.

3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

I love the juniper in Taqueray, but this doesn’t have that. I went in hoping for strong spicy aroma and flavor, but it was just subdued. I would think it was a pilsner if I wasn’t reading the label.
However, even it has a bit more flavor than that, it really just cuts off the tongue really quickly. This helps the drinkability, but not what you expect from a "Juniper" Pale Ale. Not a great beer for me.

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%

We pour a dull golden-amber brew. It holds a chunky two finger head of white bubbles, showing nice retention. Thick sheets and patterns of lacing are left as it slowly recedes. There is a definite haze to the beer, but no sediment noted. Carbonation appears active. The aroma gives chalky and drying pale malts, baker’s yeast, juicy citric hops, and a strong astringency of raw, sugarless Juniper berries. Salt, metallics, green grapes, and light vanilla coolness come out with warmth. Our first impression is that the beer is nicely light, but with big bitterness to the back of the flavoring. As we sip, chalky but juicy pale malts mix with drying yeasty bite and citric zest. These continue to the peak, where floral hops, raw pine cone stem, grassy malts, and raw astringent bitterness of berries picked from the field behind your grandmother’s house. The finish comes with metallics, yeast, Juniper berry dryness and sweetness, citric hops, more orange zest, light grassiness, and a hint of corn. The aftertaste breathes of light adjuncts, white flour, baker’s yeast, Juniper dryness, mint leafiness, grassy bitterness, peppery booze, and citric hop bite. The body is on the lighter side, while carbonation is moderate. There is nice coolness and coating to the sip, with strong dryness to the palate at the finish. There is nice pop and glug to each sip, and nice cream and frothiness to the lip. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we liked best about this beer was its lightness and drinkability. The flavors blend nicely, giving a light and fruity, yet citric and juicy balance throughout. This keeps things lively and drinking easily to the last sip, especially when coupled with the soft feel. The nose was comparatively weak, with adjuncts and corn ringing heavily. This is a nice, refreshing beverage, but we do wish that the fruitiness was just a bit more prominent.

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

22oz bottle into large tulip

Clear golden pour with a fluff of white head resting on top, leaving some thin retention and spotty lacing on the glass.

Piny, floral hoppy nose with sprucy, juniper notes. The evergreen tree aspect is subdued, but still apparent, alongside a mild toasted grain backbone.

Mellow pine and floral hop bitterness up front kisses the tongue, followed by spruce and juniper notes. Grainy, toasted backbone with hints of bread, caramel and sweetness. Finishes a bit herbal with a lingering notion of...well, trees.

Medium body, decent carbonation, crisp and clean on the tongue. I was able to detect some juniper elements here, but I was really hoping for some more expressive flavor, especially in the hop profile.

3.84/5  rDev +6.7%

From a bomber, this beer is a clear, pale golden color. Not much of a head. Medium carbonation. The juniper and a little spice is very dominant in the smell...malt, pa,e, with some flowery and resiny scents. Yeast and a little musty earthiness. Semi-sweet and malty...spice follows to the taste, with a bit of to tongue-numbingness. Medium body. Overall quite good.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ale was poured out from the bottle into a pint glass. Appeared cloudy and golden yellow in colour. Aroma was reminiscent of green olives; earthy and salty. Hints of citrus hop, juniper, and floral notes detected. Ale tasted similar to a nut brown ale in smoothness and nutty flavour. Light in body. Sweet malts and spices were present with a lingering roasty aftertaste. Interesting flavour phases.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Ill keep this one simple...
Light yellow with a little haze...
Smells like flowers pine and sugar....
Tastes like an IPA and I spice cabinet, not to mention when you eat it with turkey you want more and Visa Versa...
Great Pale ale and makes thanks giving a blast.

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured coppery, clear, obviously fizzy. Thick soapy head that persisted for some time. ARoma - didn't get much there. Very light citrus, no juniper, maybe a little malty. VERY bitter on the taste - not citrus, and no juniper initially. A little sweetness, some malty notes but extremely bitter. Very dry at the finish, and then get some juniper/gin flavor. It was an OK beer to try, but not one I would go out of the way to find.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours with one finger thick head of white color that withers off. Decent lacing. Copperish amber color. Good number of bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of malt, some weird weed (may be juniper berries as they say) and some hops which are way suppressed.

Taste: Very much the same as nose. Good balance with flavor moving towards that unknown taste. I personally have not taste juniper or no what it is. Good dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Just a tad perceived bitterness.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Typical bitterness and astringency but not so dominant.

Good beer. Not to my liking.

Style Rate: Herb/spiced beer he he :) 3.5 Not correct as i don't know what juniper is, just that it is some kind of berry.

Personal rate: 3.5

I wish it were more intoxicating.

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cool orange glow to the beer, looks like a nice ipa, not unlike their brutal bitter ipa. Smell wasn't really all that persuasive as juniper. More pine-esque, which might be my confusion of trees, or more likely, the hop profile standing out a bit.

Taste, like an English pale ale with some funky adjuncts (and not horse blanket funky). Other than the Amarillo hops, I think the hopping is kind of less than helpful or 'good'. The bitterness on this one is just weird. Like a combination of copper and plastic, definitely not juniper.

What is most disappointing about the mouthfeel is that the beer neither tastes like juniper, nor a pale ale. Its just some weird amalgamation of a beer that doesn't know where it is going, where its been or what is inside of it. Ultimately, it is less than average for a pale ale, a Rogue beer, or an herb/spice beer. Pass. I think I like Rogue generally more than the average beeradvocate, but definitely not this one. Hand me a chocolate stout instead please.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The beer pours out slightly hazy, orange gold in color with a finger of white frothy head that quickly dissipates. Nose has some sweet jammy notes, some fruit, hops, and a faint touch of lemon.

The beer has a medium body and fairly firm mouthfeel, helped by a decent level of carbonation which opens the palate nicely. The flavor is nicely balanced, but a little grassy at mid-palate. Nice hop bitterness lingers a bit on the finish. Quite refreshing, though the flavor is not very complex or intense. I'm not sure exactly what the juniper berries contribute to this. There is, however, a slight metallic sweetness at the front of the tongue that I assume is of their doing.

Overall, this is basically an average American Pale Ale. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me, but I don't think I will seek it out again in the future. Been there, done that, time to move on.

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

A - tranparent copper-amber with a huge, soft, white head that has good retention

S - bready and sweet, some faint caramel

T - caramel, bready, bitter, subtle juniper berries

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a pretty decent beer. It's a bit malt forward and the juniper berries are faint, but it's easy to drink and enjoyable. I'm not sure I'll buy it again, but I'd never turn it down.

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a beautiful Bright Golden color with a tight 2 finger head and some decent lacing. The aroma was faint but nice with a hint of spice, hops adn malt all balanced but far from overdone or in your face. Taste was also subtle and that was not what i was expecting. Slight spice from the Juniper, light on th ebitterness but it was there. the malts were very well balanced with the bitterness and slight sweetness. Refreshing and light to medium bodied. Overall I really liked this beer much more than I was expecting.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow with 3 finger head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Faint malt, some light hops.

Taste: Sweet and slightly bitter, not really tasting much from the juniper.

Mouthfeel: Light body, decent carbonation.

Overall: A decent beer, but not quite what I was expecting.

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear golden yellow with two-finger, white, creamy head that lasted a few minutes. Nice lacing.

S: Faint toasted malt, not much else.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Nice toasted malt flavor with some bitter hops.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

O: Nothing special about this beer.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint glass at Jackie's restaurant Silver Spring. From notes.

A pale amber body, slightly cloudy and hazy, is presented with not much rising carbonation, but a real big fluffy white head and thick clumpy lacing is given with good retention also. Iniviting, and looks big.

Nose is very faint, hints of spruce tips, faint herbal quality, but I am not getting a big juniper sense off of this at all.

Taste is fairly pedestrian. Chalky body and malt, dry finish with not much of a lasting aftertaste. A bit of a wet body, with not much flavor going on, but a passable maltiness, and slightly herbal finish.

Overall, not the worst, but not very memorable either.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

A - yellow gold with a head at first that dissipated into nothing

S - some hops even malt slight bit of fruit

T - a slight tang with a slight sweetness with hops following with a slight and subtle bitter note some fruit and then hops again toward the end

M - very light carbonation that stays through

O - nice balance of tartness with bitterness of hops and other flavors keeping it interesting - not too bitter

Bottle poured into a glass

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales