Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 25, 2011. The pour is an above average golden yellow with long simmering fizzy white head and delicate carbonation bubbles. On the nose there are a few malts, a few hops, and a little grass with a stronger berry element. The body was in the medium range and very comfortable for the style. The taste does embellish the bittersweet berries and they mix with your basic pale ale malt-hop character. Decent enough.

puboflyons, Aug 26, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Had on tap at the Rogue event at Novare Res.
The color is pale with a slight golden color. The head forms and dissipates to the glasses edge.

The aroma is pale malts through out. No juniper, where is the juniper.

The taste is a pale ale slight malts up front, biscuit with a slight drying finish. The taste of juniper comes in but it is very light.

bishopdc0, Aug 22, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Hazy honey color topped by a white head made of medium sized bubbles.

S: I can smell the juniper in this beer, which is interesting because I didn't know what to expect. I also get a slightly sweet bread aroma.

T: I can taste the juniper more than I can smell it. It has a slightly spicy flavor to it, along with that bready note I got from the smell. The finish carries the juniper. The bitterness is strange; it's not bitter at all, so the Juniper does balance out the sweet malt. Its a tad different.

M: Surprisingly smooth, but it is somewhat thin. Light bodied, but well carbonated.

D: Its quite drinkable, but would I actually want another? Well, it's better than a lot of other choices.

tlazaroff, Aug 20, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

One finger white froth over transparent golden. Smells of grains and herbs. "Pale ale" doesn't much come to mind once I take a sip. There's a melding of spice, hay, grains, earth, and herbs. A little watery in the mouthfeel. Allowing the beer to sit for a while really brings out the junipers.

This is an interesting beer, but it's not something I really see myself buying again.

washburnkid, Aug 17, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +13%

Just happened upon a 1/2 bbl of this at the store today. Checked BA and decided to pull the trigger. Not sorry at all!!!

In a tall champagne-beer glass...

A: Deep gold with a hazy hue. Thin head that settles into some wispy lacing and a few rings.

S: that's one fine quaff. Not hoppy overpowering, you can smell some other non-hop notes. Citrus and very very faint pine, bread & maybe a slight grass smell and some light fresh juniper notes blend in almost innocuously.

T: lemon grass, then bitter orange, bright juniper finish with light malt.

M: medium bodied. Very SMOOTH and moderately dry. Extremely good!

Overall, very solid brew. It's so subtle, that I'd have to say that if you didn't tell most people it was classified as a spiced beer they'd never know the difference, thinking it was a uniquely hopped pale ale.

Scrapss, Aug 13, 2011

Poured into a standard pint glass, this is a hazy bright gold beer with a small white head on top. The aroma is rather plain: clean malt, a faint hoppiness. No hint of juniper, in the nose at least. In the taste the Juniper does come through, but very lightly, giving just a touch of herbal spice to it. The malt is light and sweet, the hops floral with medium bitterness. It's a nicely balanced, light ale.

Very drinkable. Though if I hadn't been told up front about the Juniper, I would have assumed it was just the hop variety.

allengarvin, Aug 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Nice golden yellow color,with 1 finger head.

S: Citrus hops. With a light bready hint.

T: A very good malty flavor with hints of citrus.the back end is a little dry and bitter.

M: Slighty dry but nice and light

O: Not like any other pale ale I've ever had. It has a unique taste that is very pleasing.I would for sure drink this again if it comes around.

Bucknutty24, Jul 27, 2011

This ale was a great choice for me. If you're looking for something that isnt too heavy and has a really clean finish I highly suggest this choice. I'm not big on the real hoppy stuff, but I do want to taste it. This was perfect for that. Like i said it was had a clean finish, and was very refreshing. The place I was at had alot of taps, and many more I wanted to try, but i couldnt get enough of this one, i had 3 and was completely satisfied just having tasted this one.

hollydae77, Jul 18, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Not a large head but a really nice golden color. Sunset orange hues, slightly hazy.

S: Toffee, citrus hops. A little honey and light bread.

T: Out standing. A very dry resin controls the flavor load here. The juniper plays this part, acting as the bittering hop. Malt is cleverly rich to balance the astringency. Agave, caraway, and rye could all be found here.

M: Astringent, dry yet viscous. Good.

D: Very good drinking pale. Interesting and unique but not overwhelming or a novelty.

ForWhatAlesYou, Jul 13, 2011
Photo of
4.65/5  rDev +28.8%

From a 22 oz bottle. Pours a rather cloudy golden color with an orange tinge. Aroma is floral. Strong unmistakable flavor of juniper berries stopping just short of too much. The juniper adds a bitterness much sharper than the 34 IBUs would suggest but this actually makes the beer taste very clean ...almost refrshing. Strong malt presence balances this out nicely.

, Jul 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

Pale orange color, gathered a small head and quickly dissipated. Nice lacing on the glass the entire time.

Mildly Sweet hoppy aroma. I wouldnt guess juniper berries if I didnt already know. Some of the aromas from mild Belgians come through like mild barnyard and clovey spice.

Taste is very in line with the style (pale ale). Sweet (mildly) and nicely balanced hops interact. Citrusy hop character is present. The Juniper is really an afterthought, although it comes thru really nicely. Again, not sure I would be able to pinpoint it to a "spice" addition to the beer though.

The juniper really shines thru in the mouthfeel. Nice spicy,zesty finish. Makes it seem more carbonated than it is in a nice way. All the flavors start to pop when I inhale after swallowing.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Nice spicy pale ale I could drink all day.

BabySnakes, Jul 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

Enjoyed this 22oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Golden yellow ale with a thin 1-finger white head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Fresh spicy hop aroma. Grassy, fruity, with hints of toffee.

T: Rich malty ale balanced nicely by citrus fruits with a dry, sweet finish. Juniper berry flavor in the background.

M: Thin body and medium carbonation

O: Interesting juniper beer. Well balanced and the addition of the juniper berries makes it an extreme beer.

ckollias, Jul 08, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber colour with a fairly large size frothy and fizzy white coloured head. There is a low to average amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 3 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - Malts, hops, grapefruit/orange

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of hops mixed with malts and caramel. There is also quite a bit of citrus flavour and only a faint amount of the juniper. It finishes with a malty and hoppy aftertaste.

Overall - I didn't really know what to expect with this beer but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It drinks like an IPA with a touch of juniper - which adds a nice kick to the the taste. I'd buy this beer again

spinrsx, Jul 04, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Paired it with some baked curry-coconut chicken.

A - pours somewhere between honey-gold and coppery orange. two fingers of pristine white head that fade slowly. Leaves thick lacing on the glass.

S - Not too much to smell here. Some citrusy hops and possibly the juniper coming through. It's slightly earthy and piney. Not too sure though.

T - Mildly sweet up front with a bready flavor following through the middle. Hop bitterness hits the sides of the tongue first followed by the earthy, lemongrass character of their hops. A bit of a tanginess is also present here. Not sure if that's the juniper berries or not.

M - Thin body with a juicy, quenching finish (uncharacteristic for an IPA). Good carbonation.

rundocrun, Jul 03, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Yellow and quite fizzy, lots of big bubbles, crystal clear in complexion. Head was two fingers, frothy and white to just a touch off-yellow, had some staying power and left some pretty good lacing.

Smelled somewhat pilsner-ish, slightly floral, kinda fruity, but mostly it reminded me of a pilsner. Not bad, but not especially aromatic, and not quite what I expected from a spiced/herb beer made with juniper berries.

Taste wise it was again somewhat pilsner-ish, however it was quite pleasant nonetheless. A crisp fruity flavor is definitely present, presumably from juniper berries (I've never had one, so I'm not sure what they're supposed to taste like). Floral notes are present and forthright. There's also a light and crispy hops flavor, easy-going like a great pilsner (this seems to be a recurring theme). Spices are light, and not a big part of the experience. A little bit of malt comes through, as does some nice citrus accents (mostly lemon peel, and a little cumquat, for the sour/bitter/dry aspects), but this one is mostly light berries and lightly crispy pilsner type hops all the way.

Really as I consume the bomber, it's kinda growing on me. It's pretty light bodied, very well carbonated, and leaves a lovely, lightly bitter, slightly fruity aftertaste. Moderately dry, which seems to suit what they were aiming for here.

Really I am wondering if this should really be a spiced/herb ale, or if it should just be a pilsner type style with added juniper berries (although I realize it's an ale, not a lager, but it's quite lager-like in body).

Really it's a quite lovely beer creation, but rating it "to style" as listed is a bit difficult. Therefore I'm going to go ahead and rate each category as I enjoyed it within the context of this review, and not strictly as a spiced/herb ale.

It's pretty good, that's mostly what you need to know. Definitely worth a try. I'm quite interested to see what the John-John ale tastes like for tomorrow's review, as it's also brewed with juniper berries (but aged in spruce gin barrels? should be interesting).

I doubt if this review will be the highest rating I've given to a Rogue beer, but I'd say this is the most interesting thing I've had from the brewery so far. I'd buy it again.

AlCaponeJunior, Jul 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +15%

Hazy bright yellow hue with a healthy enough white head on top. Dissapates fairly quickly but does leave some lacing. It smells really nice. Definitely some nice fruity aromas coming through a floral hop nose. The juniper berries remind me of oranges mixed with apricots and maybe some sort of other tropical fruit.

Interesting taste, light to medium body with a small hop hit in the middle and then not much else with the hops. A berry bitterness is noticeable throughout the taste and even into the aftertaste, which I have to say is different than I thought it would be. Its bitter like a berry's rind actually, which, never having a juniper berry before, I can only assume is the juniper. Its unique at the very least and I do give it credit for that. Incredibly easy to drink and yet still enjoyable for the complexities of the berries and floral hop combination. The mouthfeel is quick, clean, and dry, lending itself to the style nicely. The hops actually come through more and more throughout the beer, but they never take over. They instead take a seat on the side and let the other flavors do the work, which is a plus for the style. All told, I'm enjoying the easiness and yet thoughfulness in the balance of this one. Didn't know what to expect with this, but I am pleasantly surprised.

chodinheaven, Jun 29, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

I was so excited to try this beer and it left me completely bummed. The pour was decent with golden colored liquid accompanied by a white head that left some lacing. The smell of the beer really didn't give me any reason to believe there was any juniper in there. The taste was kind of on the typical ale flavor side with not too much else really jumping out at us. The mouthfeel was decent, it was a bit heavier than some ales but not by much. Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. Better luck next time I guess.

Knapp85, Jun 20, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - maybe a dull amber in color, relatively clear, with about half a finger of barely off-white colored foam.

Smell - a little hoppy smelling. I'm not familiar with Juniper berries, so I'm not sure if the aroma is there, but it is a little "berry" like.

Taste and Mouthfeel - there's a slightly alkalitic taste at the beginning, but then that mellows out a bit in the middle with a bite of bitterness. Texture is pretty well-balanced. Bitter aftertaste.

Overall - not a bad brew, but not terribly exciting either.

Nerudamann, Jun 17, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Certainly not Rogue's best beer, but it's a nice mix from their heavier ales.

Pours a clear orange yellow color. Smell is piney with some orange undertones.

There's a little malt in the flavor, which works well with the pine flavors. Overall, a nice summer beer if you're looking for something a little different.

devinoconnor, Jun 06, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. This beer is a beautiful,clear, straw color with a thick, dense, white head that lasts, leaving respectable lacing.

S - Flowery, and slightly sweet.

T - Pale malt, with a bit of sweetness, but with bitterness to balance. Some hop spiciness/earthiness. I don't get a ton of juniper up front, but it does come through in the finish.

M - medium body, somewhat creamy, with good carbonation.

O - There is nothing life altering about this beer, but it is pretty enjoyable. I may not revisit this soon, but I'll probably purchase this again. It goes go down really, really (I mean really) easy, so for a hot day this might be a good beer to pick up.

boneboy, Jun 05, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8%

A - pretty, clear golden color with impressive white lacing

S - light and flowery

T - You can definitely taste the juniper, kind of like there's a little juniper tree in your beer. Definitely earthy with a bite of hops. I found it to have an odd watery aftertaste, but that didn't take away from the overall refreshing and interesting taste for me.

M - Good mouthfeel, a bit thin.

D - Drinkability? More like chuggability. VERY drinkable, accidentally finished this one much quicker than I meant to. I could finish a 6 of these in one sitting without even realizing it.

I had been wanting to try this one ever since I saw it at Green's in Atlanta back in March, as I'm a gin lover, and I'm pleased with it. It has a nice taste and it's very easy to drink. I don't think I'll be keeping my fridge stocked with this one, but I'd drink it again and I'm glad I tried it.

Lillie1128, May 31, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Slightly hazy, deep golden with a fluffy white head that sticks around.

S - Citrus hops and grainy malts with a light juniper aroma.

T - Grainy malt with a light bitterness. Spicy with a lingering citrus that rounds into a long, light juniper finish.

M - Light side of medium body with light carbonation.

D - The bitterness, maybe astringency, is tingly on the tongue. An easy drinking light pale ale.

brewcrew76, May 27, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Rouge, is that kind of brewery that provides the kind of beers that make drinking fun and exciting. Sitting down with the bros? don't do just any beer, grab something that actually sparks conversation - like this one!

Honnestly, its not the best in all the world; or even in all the world of rouge's beer bible! BUT, this is a solid and intriguing brew.

Color - GOLD! Bright gold at that! With a very white head that sits for a few minutes, and then dissipates.

Smell - Nothing too out of the ordinary or off of what you would expect. Juniper, hops, nothing else matters.

Taste - Brilliantly blended flavors!Slight sweetness at first (especially in the head) decent hit of hops and spice. No trace of hard alcohol notes hardly - really well done blend.

feel - nothing crazy. Like any other Pale Ale really.

Overall - It's a hot day in NY; and this beer satisfies! Drinkable enough to enjoy when needing a cool refresher and interesting enough to keep me drinking. I think the brothers said it best: a good conversation beer! However, lets be real here, I cannot write it off as the best of anything.

HBeezley, May 26, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

appearance; off white head, clear golden body, very tight bubbles of carbonation. Nice chunky head with rings of fine lacing.

smell; hop bitterness and piney a bit from the hops and probably the juniper, then a sweet juniper aroma, blended well with the hops. Very spicy, definitely much juniper.

taste; upfront quite strong juniper flavors, bitterness combines with resiny hops. A sweetness, quite characteristic of juniper blends nicely with some semi-sweet malts and balance out the resiny bitterness. Nice balance, well done.

mouthfeel; quite complex and a bit creamy, tingly on the tongue. Refreshing and a bit dry in the finish.

overall; a tasty beer and a must try for juniper/gin lovers, would go nice with game or as a sauce with game.

Sachsenfreude, May 26, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

A- It pours a hazy golden color with a one finger head that leaves some lacing.

S- I get a lot of hops on the nose with a very faint hint of juniper.

T- For me it started out with a slight sweetness and I picked up a slight hint of the juniper berries before I got a crisp bitterness from the hops.

M- It had a light to medium mouthfeel with quite a bit of carbonation.

O- This is a pretty solid pale ale with a nice refreshing hop bitterness. Unlike some spiced beers the juniper berries are subtle, but play a nice role.

lennerja, May 16, 2011