Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
chrispoint

1.25/5  rDev -65.4%

02-04-2013 04:46:44 | More by MonicaC
jtierney89

1.3/5  rDev -64%

Straw pale bright golden color. about 2 finger head that dissipates quickly. straw and dry biscuit on the nose. the flavor follows up with the same flavors up front. decent carbonation light to medium in body. slight juniper berry after taste on the finish but it's barely perceivable.

completely disappointing, tastes like a very standard pale ale just a touch different. rogue needs to add some variety between styles besides just adding a dash of something.

dry piney finish. drinkable but not worth the exclusivity of being a separate beer on the rogue roster.

02-15-2012 02:31:48 | More by jtierney89
harrymel

Washington

1.65/5  rDev -54.3%

Bottled: unk

A: golden with a finger of white foam which falls nearly immediately to a broken sheet of the same with cobweb lace. Nearly murky.
S: some juniper berries. plenty of amber malts. meh.
T: Hints of juniper again, but mostly, malts. Sweet.
M: Heavy for a pale ale, low carb. Substantial slick on the finish.
O: Yeah, this is pathetic. I hate beer that is not tasty. I hate beer even more, that is not even close to it's labels indication.

10-12-2011 18:00:05 | More by harrymel
Josh

1.8/5  rDev -50.1%

A - I poured the beer more heavy handed than I should have and it had about 3 1/2 fingers of head. The color was a dirty yellow, not quite opaque. It resembled dehydrated urine. The head died down pretty quickly and left blotches of foam on the top.

S - It smells like an average American lager but with an oily twinge.

T - The taste is slightly pungent and has an oily bitter flavor. It reminds me of the taste of leaves, grass, or an unripened berry you may have accidentally tried as a kid. I actually don't like the taste, and I do not think it would grow on me. For some it might be a pleasurable change, but this beer is simply not for me.

M - Mouthfeel was average carbonation and slightly oily.

O - Terrible beer on my palette. It wasn't the quality, just the taste does not suit my liking.

03-10-2012 02:45:09 | More by Josh

12-24-2011 08:08:46 | More by jophish17
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.23/5  rDev -38.2%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

09-24-2012 04:45:24 | More by rickyleepotts

04-13-2014 19:32:03 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
Beaver13

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy dark yellow with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a light dusting and collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet honey and bready malts with a little spice (juniper?). Not much to smell as it warms.

The flavor is a little honey sweetness in the background with a medium harsh bitterness that dominates. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very watery texture that washes out the flavor.

Overall, an OK pale. It's pretty bitter, but no real interesting flavors and it's very watery.

08-12-2010 02:48:47 | More by Beaver13
Mitchster

2.42/5  rDev -33%

$5.49 for a bomber. Brewed with Northwest Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, Maier Munich, C15 malts. Hopped with Styrian Goldings and Amarillo. Flavored with Juniper berries.

OG=13 plato. 34 IBU. 77 AA. 3.2 Lovibond.

Pours out to a chill-hazed peach, forming a rocky pale yellow head with very good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is odd...there is a definite soapiness imparted by the juniper, but aside from that, there is a definite ruddiness and very strong cardboard smell. Not impressed at all. The mouthfeel is lively, and thankfully not oxidized with a medium body. The taste starts off with some floral hops, then a brief flash of pale malts, then overpowered by a plain chemical bitterness and finishes with damp musty cardboard and dank forest soil. Bitterness is medium strong and somewhat harsh.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you this was made with juniper, which is a contrast to Rogue's otherwise genuine knack for bringing out the best flavors when using adjunctive ingredients (chocolate, chamomile, chipotle peppers). Ultimately, this beer is a total disappointment, just like the last few Rogue's I've had. Definitely not recommended.

07-31-2006 18:25:53 | More by Mitchster

IPAIsaac

06-22-2013 00:31:00 | More by IPAIsaac
Sixpack595

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours foggy yellow orange with quite a bit of head that recedes fairly quickly. Citrucy aroma that fades fairly quickly. Taste? Uhhmm... its bitter. A bit grainy and bready in the end before more bitterness puts a stop to all that. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, but not too bad.

12-24-2003 06:39:49 | More by Sixpack595