Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,311
2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a two-finger foamy head. A bit of lacing.

S: The bouquet is predominantly of garden vegetables.

T: Surprisingly malty and sweet for a "pale ale". There is very little hop presence in any form, and very slight piney flavor from the juniper, although I find that I have to search for it to find it, and I probabl;y wouldn't even notice if not for the name of the beer. The taste isn't bad, per se, but not what it should be.

M: Just under medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I was looking foward to this one, hoping that the juniper would add a unique complexity to the beer. Nope. Lots of better pale ales, and lots of better beers.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured coppery, clear, obviously fizzy. Thick soapy head that persisted for some time. ARoma - didn't get much there. Very light citrus, no juniper, maybe a little malty. VERY bitter on the taste - not citrus, and no juniper initially. A little sweetness, some malty notes but extremely bitter. Very dry at the finish, and then get some juniper/gin flavor. It was an OK beer to try, but not one I would go out of the way to find.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%

My second taste of Rogue after Dead guy ale.
A- A flat looking dirty gold. There's lacing but almost no head.
S- A bit of sweet beet or tomato juice. Some hops and iron.
T- Same as the smell. Not too good but I like it. A bit oh honey hop. Black tea.
M- Weak carbonation, pretty thin. Feels like an unfinished homebrew.
D- Good. I could drink a few of these but they'd have to be colder to make up for the rest.

Won't buy it again but would drink it again.

EDIT: Read the other reviews and I'm seeing discrepancies, especially in regards to the mouthfeel. So I'm guessing I may have gotten a subpar bottle.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%

A: medium orange hue with a fluffy head that settles into some larger bubbles

S: the smell of this is just plain funky... it smells a little like rice pudding, also kind of musty, old and dusty?

T: some hops... some similarities to Bass. Tastes dusty, old, and funky. after a couple sips i start to get more of the juniper and camping smells and taste. Something is just out of whack with this one.

M: feels ok, pretty average in terms of carbonation and smoothness

D: nope, could barely finish one glass.

Note: perhaps this would work better if you used it to cook with or paired it with a meal that would bring out certain flavors. by itself however, not too enjoyable.

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cool orange glow to the beer, looks like a nice ipa, not unlike their brutal bitter ipa. Smell wasn't really all that persuasive as juniper. More pine-esque, which might be my confusion of trees, or more likely, the hop profile standing out a bit.

Taste, like an English pale ale with some funky adjuncts (and not horse blanket funky). Other than the Amarillo hops, I think the hopping is kind of less than helpful or 'good'. The bitterness on this one is just weird. Like a combination of copper and plastic, definitely not juniper.

What is most disappointing about the mouthfeel is that the beer neither tastes like juniper, nor a pale ale. Its just some weird amalgamation of a beer that doesn't know where it is going, where its been or what is inside of it. Ultimately, it is less than average for a pale ale, a Rogue beer, or an herb/spice beer. Pass. I think I like Rogue generally more than the average beeradvocate, but definitely not this one. Hand me a chocolate stout instead please.

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured a cloudy amber hue. A finger's worth of head with little retention and decent lacing.

The aroma was nearly non-existent. Maybe a hint of hop, but no juniper.

The taste was thin. Very little hop bitterness aand no juniper accent.

The mouthfeel was okay. It was clean and dry, which added to the ale's drinkability.

I will conceed that the cloudy nature and the relative flatness may be evidence of an old beer. I will attempt to sample another bottle.

2.69/5  rDev -26.1%

This is my first review. I'm not sure why I decided to start reviewing with a beer I didn't care for, but here you go.

A: Very slightly cloudy dark yellow. A moderate head out of the 22oz bomber, which dissipates into a thin foam film, soon dying altogether.

S: Almost none. Basically a light lager smell.

T: Not what I'd hoped for. Dry and rather bitter, on top of a serviceable pale ale. I got this because I like gin, but I get only a very small amount of the juniper berry bite that makes gin work. And that's really only on the finish. If I didn't know this was made with juniper berries, I'd never guess. I was looking for juniper and spice, but didn't get it. Warming did help a bit, so it might be worth letting this beer warm before even starting.

M: Not particularly thick, but solid. Good here. A fair bit of carbonation released on the way down.

D: Not liking bitter pale ales without a range of spice flavors, one bottle is more than I really wanted.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

I would not recommend this beer. The feel was assaulting and there was barely a hint of Juniper in it. I love Rogue and most of the beers I've had from them have been superb. That being said, you can't win them all and this beer is proof that even Rogue produces duds every once in a while.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

Ok...slightly peculiar.
Pours a dark, pale yellow more like a bronze color...with a medium white head that sticks around as a small ring.

Aromas are similar to a pale ale with nice crisp hops and mildly sweet malt, but a type of spiciness I really can't identify and don't think it's "juniper' as advertised.

Taste is crisp and light like a pale ale with the same attributes noticed in the aromas but again, a bitter spicy finish that I can't really identify.
It tries to be lemon but then doesn't quite make that either.

To me, this starts out like a fine APA but then tries to be something else...something it has no business trying to be and Rogue just misses the mark with this one.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

While poured from tap, the color of it was a dark golden with medium foam and no lace. The smell of this ale had a floral/herbal and spicy aroma that really wasn't that good. The taste was of a hoppy, spicy/herbal, floral flavor that just didn't move me. It did nothing for me, because the spicy/herbal flavor of this ale just wasn't what I was expecting to taste!

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color that is hazed a bit and produced a modest white head that dissipates to a light layer covering the beer like a blanket. It has a very, very faint aroma with nearly no discernable aromas. This is a very unique characteristic, or lack there of from an awesome brewery. The taste reveals lightly sweet malt with a well-pronounced hop. It is light bodied and finishes with a slightly dry bitter. Not a great representation of the style, but it could be a great crossover beer to get a macro drinker familiar with hops without shocking their taste buds. Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Frank Zappa always said "Don't eat the yellow snow." Well he never mentioned anything about drinking it.

Pours a clear light orange with e decent white head, resembling your average american lager in appearance. Aroma is heavy on the grainy side, with a good dose floral hops backing things up. Taste is nothing special here. Mostly bitter from start to finish, there is some grainyness in the background. Not really malty, just a slight taste of cereal grains. This beer could use some balance. Mostly floral bitter hops, not much else besides a funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel is fairly clean but nothing special. Too bitter without enough flavor to be very drinkable. Nothing special here - your average rogue ale, only not as good. Don't drink the yellow snow either.

Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

On tap at Brix in Jacksonville Beach. Slightly hazy, yellow orange in color, essentially no head. Aroma was non-existent, salt and lemon? The taste was a lemon hops primary with some malt balance. Juniper was AWOL. Aftertaste was unpleasant. Body was light and the carbonation was medium. Flavor, overall was good but nothing special. Aftertaste hurt my scoring of the flavor. I would not have another.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Overall, this was a disappointing effort from Rouge. Plenty of citrus notes (lemon rind, most notably), and of course, juniper. The taste, however, was too dry and left almost nothing on my taste buds on the finish. The mouthfeel was really watery, even for a spiced beer. It is quite refreshing, however, and the smell is pleasant. This is the sort of spiced beer that could have worked on a hot, summer day, except for the juniper, Christmas-tree-like aftertaste. Not bad, but disappointing considering Rouge has put out some great stuff.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

Saffron colour with no head. A ring of lace settles where the beer sets for a little while. Despite that, no lace at all. Smells of malt, gin, dry hops and cigar leafs. Is tobacco brewed in this beer? Tastes okay. Earthy, tobacco and gin taste mellowed out by a sweet malt character. Mouthfeel is a little too astringent. This was my first beer from Rogue. I was disappointed. It's actually a bit of a bland beer. Personally, I find very little to write about it. Yeah, it was drinkable. But this is one beer I won't be purchasing. Hopefully, my next Rogue experience will be a much more pleasing one.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured out a 22 oz. bottle.
A: Orange/amberish, bronze-almost copperish color with a head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thin, sticky, white head throughout. Decent lacing.
S: The smell left some wanting-piny, floral, earthy aroma with a malt back. Not as pungent as I was hoping.
T: Hoppy floral beginning with malt middle and a bitter balanced ending. Ends with a juniper-like bitterness and dryness to offset the malt. Balanced, but I was expecting more.
MF: Medium to full mouthfeel.
Overall: A decent selection from Rogue, but I was expecting more. Not their strongest brew, but worth a try nonetheless.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

I love Rogue Brewery and will always opt to taste something new if I see it. This one popped out so I had to give it a try.

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a golden blonde pale hue. No head whatsoever and not much lacing. On the nose it is a bit boring, yet shines with a dry sweetness. I am not getting much Juniper, which is disappointing to say the least. The flavor isn't giving much Juniper either due to an overwhelming sense of hop flavor. It is a bit of a full mouthfeel with not much balance through the palate. There is a bit of an earthy, dry finish with little or no resonance to the initial flavor.

For me, this beer is missing something... I can't put my finger on it. I'm glad I tried it, but will opt for the Yellow Snow when it comes to Rogue pale ales.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

A- gold and hazy with fluffy white head leaving good lace on glass

S- very plant like. grassy and malty with spicy hops

T- a bit odd for me but the juniper does come though with spicy aftertaste of hops and biscit like malts

M- ok but a tad bit sticky for a pale ale imo

O- a very differnt style of pale ale but just average for me. there are better ones out there by far. glad i only bought one bottle as the six pack is pretty pricey.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

Juniper Pale Ale pours a golden yellow color into my snifter. Only a sliver of an off-white head, which disappears completely within a minute. Average to below average lacing for this brew. The nose is mainly lemon, pineapple, hops and malt. There's an earthy-ness to the nose as well. The taste is fairly underwhelming. I get the hops, but beyond that.... not much. It's also so dry that I can't really get much- the flavors evaporate off your tongue so fast I can't identify them. The earthy/lemon quality is still there in the taste as well. Feel is super thin and way too dry. Overall, this one misses the mark for me. Cheers.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat the yellow snow...
A light yellow pour with a good size head. It had a semi floral smell, nothing spectacular. I didn't care much for the taste I was upset with the lack of balance that rogue usually exceeds in. I like hoppy, but this was too much.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

poured a very hazy straw color, nice one finger headf and lacing as well.
Smell was fairly innocent. Slight twinge of hops, no juniper berries noticed and very faint malt tones.
Taste was nondescript as well. Very mild, slight hoppiness and very little added from the juniper.
A bit dissapointed, but not terrible.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

I was so excited to try this beer and it left me completely bummed. The pour was decent with golden colored liquid accompanied by a white head that left some lacing. The smell of the beer really didn't give me any reason to believe there was any juniper in there. The taste was kind of on the typical ale flavor side with not too much else really jumping out at us. The mouthfeel was decent, it was a bit heavier than some ales but not by much. Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. Better luck next time I guess.

2.89/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle into pint.
A: Deep yellow to a gold body color, with a fluffy white head that settles with sticky lacing. Good levels of carbonation.
S: The aroma shows a pilsnerlt and a bit of a grassy note. Medium intensity on the aroma.
T/M: The Upfront flavors are of a light ale, but the juicy body does not hold up through the finish, the berries give off a strange moab taste. The berries show me a bit of an off putting usage, a dry medicinal note.
D: I do not think that this would beer I would drink again. Enjoyed about the whole glass and thats a fine taste for me.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with no freshness date to be found. Ingredients and a blurb about the brew on the label.

Appearance: Mild tobacco earthy aroma with a spicy hop / juniper and pale malt sweetness.

Smell: No not the colour of yellow snow, more of a full glow of bronze with a patchy white lace.

Taste: Smooth with a crisp malt and fullish mouth feel, herbal and almost tobacco like hop bitterness and flavour erupt in the mouth with a light juniper berry flavour. Mild fruitiness with a sweet and malty back round, grainy finish. Hop flavour lingers and becomes a bit astringent along with a touch of juniper that brings a little sparkle to the brew.

Notes: Not a bad brew at all though hops seem to over take the brew with an earthened hop flavour that may not be agreeable with some beer drinkers.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales