Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,311
2.74/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color that is hazed a bit and produced a modest white head that dissipates to a light layer covering the beer like a blanket. It has a very, very faint aroma with nearly no discernable aromas. This is a very unique characteristic, or lack there of from an awesome brewery. The taste reveals lightly sweet malt with a well-pronounced hop. It is light bodied and finishes with a slightly dry bitter. Not a great representation of the style, but it could be a great crossover beer to get a macro drinker familiar with hops without shocking their taste buds. Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Frank Zappa always said "Don't eat the yellow snow." Well he never mentioned anything about drinking it.

Pours a clear light orange with e decent white head, resembling your average american lager in appearance. Aroma is heavy on the grainy side, with a good dose floral hops backing things up. Taste is nothing special here. Mostly bitter from start to finish, there is some grainyness in the background. Not really malty, just a slight taste of cereal grains. This beer could use some balance. Mostly floral bitter hops, not much else besides a funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel is fairly clean but nothing special. Too bitter without enough flavor to be very drinkable. Nothing special here - your average rogue ale, only not as good. Don't drink the yellow snow either.

Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

On tap at Brix in Jacksonville Beach. Slightly hazy, yellow orange in color, essentially no head. Aroma was non-existent, salt and lemon? The taste was a lemon hops primary with some malt balance. Juniper was AWOL. Aftertaste was unpleasant. Body was light and the carbonation was medium. Flavor, overall was good but nothing special. Aftertaste hurt my scoring of the flavor. I would not have another.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

Overall, this was a disappointing effort from Rouge. Plenty of citrus notes (lemon rind, most notably), and of course, juniper. The taste, however, was too dry and left almost nothing on my taste buds on the finish. The mouthfeel was really watery, even for a spiced beer. It is quite refreshing, however, and the smell is pleasant. This is the sort of spiced beer that could have worked on a hot, summer day, except for the juniper, Christmas-tree-like aftertaste. Not bad, but disappointing considering Rouge has put out some great stuff.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

Saffron colour with no head. A ring of lace settles where the beer sets for a little while. Despite that, no lace at all. Smells of malt, gin, dry hops and cigar leafs. Is tobacco brewed in this beer? Tastes okay. Earthy, tobacco and gin taste mellowed out by a sweet malt character. Mouthfeel is a little too astringent. This was my first beer from Rogue. I was disappointed. It's actually a bit of a bland beer. Personally, I find very little to write about it. Yeah, it was drinkable. But this is one beer I won't be purchasing. Hopefully, my next Rogue experience will be a much more pleasing one.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured out a 22 oz. bottle.
A: Orange/amberish, bronze-almost copperish color with a head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thin, sticky, white head throughout. Decent lacing.
S: The smell left some wanting-piny, floral, earthy aroma with a malt back. Not as pungent as I was hoping.
T: Hoppy floral beginning with malt middle and a bitter balanced ending. Ends with a juniper-like bitterness and dryness to offset the malt. Balanced, but I was expecting more.
MF: Medium to full mouthfeel.
Overall: A decent selection from Rogue, but I was expecting more. Not their strongest brew, but worth a try nonetheless.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

I love Rogue Brewery and will always opt to taste something new if I see it. This one popped out so I had to give it a try.

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a golden blonde pale hue. No head whatsoever and not much lacing. On the nose it is a bit boring, yet shines with a dry sweetness. I am not getting much Juniper, which is disappointing to say the least. The flavor isn't giving much Juniper either due to an overwhelming sense of hop flavor. It is a bit of a full mouthfeel with not much balance through the palate. There is a bit of an earthy, dry finish with little or no resonance to the initial flavor.

For me, this beer is missing something... I can't put my finger on it. I'm glad I tried it, but will opt for the Yellow Snow when it comes to Rogue pale ales.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

A- gold and hazy with fluffy white head leaving good lace on glass

S- very plant like. grassy and malty with spicy hops

T- a bit odd for me but the juniper does come though with spicy aftertaste of hops and biscit like malts

M- ok but a tad bit sticky for a pale ale imo

O- a very differnt style of pale ale but just average for me. there are better ones out there by far. glad i only bought one bottle as the six pack is pretty pricey.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

Juniper Pale Ale pours a golden yellow color into my snifter. Only a sliver of an off-white head, which disappears completely within a minute. Average to below average lacing for this brew. The nose is mainly lemon, pineapple, hops and malt. There's an earthy-ness to the nose as well. The taste is fairly underwhelming. I get the hops, but beyond that.... not much. It's also so dry that I can't really get much- the flavors evaporate off your tongue so fast I can't identify them. The earthy/lemon quality is still there in the taste as well. Feel is super thin and way too dry. Overall, this one misses the mark for me. Cheers.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat the yellow snow...
A light yellow pour with a good size head. It had a semi floral smell, nothing spectacular. I didn't care much for the taste I was upset with the lack of balance that rogue usually exceeds in. I like hoppy, but this was too much.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

poured a very hazy straw color, nice one finger headf and lacing as well.
Smell was fairly innocent. Slight twinge of hops, no juniper berries noticed and very faint malt tones.
Taste was nondescript as well. Very mild, slight hoppiness and very little added from the juniper.
A bit dissapointed, but not terrible.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

I was so excited to try this beer and it left me completely bummed. The pour was decent with golden colored liquid accompanied by a white head that left some lacing. The smell of the beer really didn't give me any reason to believe there was any juniper in there. The taste was kind of on the typical ale flavor side with not too much else really jumping out at us. The mouthfeel was decent, it was a bit heavier than some ales but not by much. Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. Better luck next time I guess.

2.89/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle into pint.
A: Deep yellow to a gold body color, with a fluffy white head that settles with sticky lacing. Good levels of carbonation.
S: The aroma shows a pilsnerlt and a bit of a grassy note. Medium intensity on the aroma.
T/M: The Upfront flavors are of a light ale, but the juicy body does not hold up through the finish, the berries give off a strange moab taste. The berries show me a bit of an off putting usage, a dry medicinal note.
D: I do not think that this would beer I would drink again. Enjoyed about the whole glass and thats a fine taste for me.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with no freshness date to be found. Ingredients and a blurb about the brew on the label.

Appearance: Mild tobacco earthy aroma with a spicy hop / juniper and pale malt sweetness.

Smell: No not the colour of yellow snow, more of a full glow of bronze with a patchy white lace.

Taste: Smooth with a crisp malt and fullish mouth feel, herbal and almost tobacco like hop bitterness and flavour erupt in the mouth with a light juniper berry flavour. Mild fruitiness with a sweet and malty back round, grainy finish. Hop flavour lingers and becomes a bit astringent along with a touch of juniper that brings a little sparkle to the brew.

Notes: Not a bad brew at all though hops seem to over take the brew with an earthened hop flavour that may not be agreeable with some beer drinkers.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - pours a hazy pale peach color, two fingers of white foam form up (and recede) relatively quickly. Some dotted lace left behind. Nice beading action from below.

Aroma - the initial pour is a tad sloppy just to give me a nice aroma burst. I get a good orangey, tangerine citrus and, here's a first, an aroma that reminds me of Off bug repellent. Just briefly, then it disappears, leaving behind a more conventional hop and malt nose.

Taste - a light malt, biscuity base, moderate hopping coming out fairly quickly. The swallow brings out the dryer side of the hops and what I imagine must be the juniper. A somewhat tinny, (coppery?) flavor, again reminiscent of Off repellent. It's not unpleasant but not that great either. If I was more familiar with juniper it might make a difference.

Mouthfeel - very crisp, pretty light-bodied too.About right for the style.

Drinkability - not for me. The metallic bitterness isn't all that appealing.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a pale and hazy yellow with a very thin white head. Smells just ever so faintly of juniper berries but mostly of pale dry malt.

Taste is much like the smell, faint, very faint juniper berry and crisp pale malt. Finishes clean, almost no finish or aftertaste. This is drinkable but very disappointing. The juniper is very faint when it could have shown nicely against this malt profile. Barley distinguishable from many light pale ales. Boo.

2.91/5  rDev -20.1%

As you can guess from the name, Yellow Snow is golden in color. Unfortunately, it also smells a bit like its namesake. The taste is similar to the scent, but better, and the advertised juniper berries are faintly noticeable on the palate. Not a terrible beer, but not up to Rogue's standards. I had trouble finishing the 1 pint 6 oz bottle. All in all, a bit disappointing.

According to the bottle, this came from the 2002 batch, so it may have been sitting on a shelf for too long, explaining the bit of funkiness. I'll certainly give it another chance.

2.92/5  rDev -19.8%

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

A- pour produces a 2-1/2 finger off white head that rests on a slightly hazy straw colored body. Good retention 4

S- cereal grain, alcohol, metallic twang, slightly herbal, slightly bitter smelling. Not a very appealing smell 2

T- bland. Not bad, but very bland. Grain, slight yeast taste, malt profile is ok, slight floral hop, slightly herbal. I like juniper berries and love them in the only other beer I've had with them which is Mammoth 395 IPA (one of my favorites specifially because of the juniper), but this beer has none that I can really taste. Pretty disappointing but my expectations keep going lower and lower for Rogue beers. 3

M- good mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the light side of feel and good body.  4

O- at $5.99 for a 22 it wasn't too expensive but I still feel ripped off. This is such an average beer it should be like $2.99. Oh wait but they have those cool labels on the bottles that they spend all that money for! 3

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Am I the only person that thinks the guy on the Rogue labels looks a lot like George Clooney? I digress...the beer poured a deep, yellow amber with a delicate lace. The first nose-blast was soapy dishwater, followed by floral and hop scents.

The taste was indicative of APA's and seems to me to be a very good example of the type. The mouthfeel is standard and I'm sure most APA fans would find it highly drinkable. I'll keep my stouts and porters thankyouverymuch.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

A: Pours a cloudy, golden orange color with a moderate head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam.

S: Subtle nose doesn't track with that of a typical pale ale. Perhaps the addition of juniper berries subjugates the aroma of hops.

T: Opens exceptionally dry and bitter, with a bright effervescence throughout. Finishes with a juniper beery bite that lingers. Lacks a noticeable malt foundation and any interplay with hops. Not entirely satisfying.

M: Well carbonated with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

D: Not familiar with the Herbed/Spiced Beer style, but certainly not representative of what I'm looking for in a Pale Ale. Mediocre at best.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Medium gold color, medium head. A medium bodied pale ale. Smooth malts and spicy hops are nicely balanced. Brewed with whole Juniper berries. They give the beer a nice spicy finish. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly spicy and very slightly bitter. Painted/etched beer bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.83 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Basic light copper translucent body under a one inch off white meringue like head that sticks reasonably well to the inside of the pint glass. 3.5

S Really just smells like a standard Pale Ale. I do not get "Juniper" aromas but only minimal hops and malt that someone might expect from the style. 3.0

T Basic Pale Ale taste of minimal malt, hops but then a rather bitter, organic taste (could that be the Juniper?) that is not to my liking. Repeated sips nearer the bottom of the glass reveal a bit more flowery Juniper tastes but really I am not impressed. 2.5

M Thin except for the bitter Juniper and minimal hops bitterness. 3.5

D Just fine but there are more drinkable beers within this style. 3.5

Notes: Gimmicky idea for a beer that Rogue seems to do repeatedly. This one did not work for me.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales