1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Juniper Pale AleJuniper Pale Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,117 | Reviews: 662 | Show All Ratings:
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz bottle into pint.
A: Deep yellow to a gold body color, with a fluffy white head that settles with sticky lacing. Good levels of carbonation.
S: The aroma shows a pilsnerlt and a bit of a grassy note. Medium intensity on the aroma.
T/M: The Upfront flavors are of a light ale, but the juicy body does not hold up through the finish, the berries give off a strange moab taste. The berries show me a bit of an off putting usage, a dry medicinal note.
D: I do not think that this would beer I would drink again. Enjoyed about the whole glass and thats a fine taste for me.

01-17-2011 18:59:54 | More by GDBEERMAN
Knapp85

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

I was so excited to try this beer and it left me completely bummed. The pour was decent with golden colored liquid accompanied by a white head that left some lacing. The smell of the beer really didn't give me any reason to believe there was any juniper in there. The taste was kind of on the typical ale flavor side with not too much else really jumping out at us. The mouthfeel was decent, it was a bit heavier than some ales but not by much. Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. Better luck next time I guess.

06-20-2011 03:58:45 | More by Knapp85
Jason

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with no freshness date to be found. Ingredients and a blurb about the brew on the label.

Appearance: Mild tobacco earthy aroma with a spicy hop / juniper and pale malt sweetness.

Smell: No not the colour of yellow snow, more of a full glow of bronze with a patchy white lace.

Taste: Smooth with a crisp malt and fullish mouth feel, herbal and almost tobacco like hop bitterness and flavour erupt in the mouth with a light juniper berry flavour. Mild fruitiness with a sweet and malty back round, grainy finish. Hop flavour lingers and becomes a bit astringent along with a touch of juniper that brings a little sparkle to the brew.

Notes: Not a bad brew at all though hops seem to over take the brew with an earthened hop flavour that may not be agreeable with some beer drinkers.

01-27-2001 23:18:08 | More by Jason
brewdlyhooked13

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - pours a hazy pale peach color, two fingers of white foam form up (and recede) relatively quickly. Some dotted lace left behind. Nice beading action from below.

Aroma - the initial pour is a tad sloppy just to give me a nice aroma burst. I get a good orangey, tangerine citrus and, here's a first, an aroma that reminds me of Off bug repellent. Just briefly, then it disappears, leaving behind a more conventional hop and malt nose.

Taste - a light malt, biscuity base, moderate hopping coming out fairly quickly. The swallow brings out the dryer side of the hops and what I imagine must be the juniper. A somewhat tinny, (coppery?) flavor, again reminiscent of Off repellent. It's not unpleasant but not that great either. If I was more familiar with juniper it might make a difference.

Mouthfeel - very crisp, pretty light-bodied too.About right for the style.

Drinkability - not for me. The metallic bitterness isn't all that appealing.

09-30-2006 19:39:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a pale and hazy yellow with a very thin white head. Smells just ever so faintly of juniper berries but mostly of pale dry malt.

Taste is much like the smell, faint, very faint juniper berry and crisp pale malt. Finishes clean, almost no finish or aftertaste. This is drinkable but very disappointing. The juniper is very faint when it could have shown nicely against this malt profile. Barley distinguishable from many light pale ales. Boo.

10-31-2006 02:09:00 | More by ViveLaChouffe
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

poured a very hazy straw color, nice one finger headf and lacing as well.
Smell was fairly innocent. Slight twinge of hops, no juniper berries noticed and very faint malt tones.
Taste was nondescript as well. Very mild, slight hoppiness and very little added from the juniper.
A bit dissapointed, but not terrible.

01-24-2009 21:43:13 | More by dmamiano
andyo

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one.

05-20-2004 16:17:53 | More by andyo
RockyTopHeel

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

As you can guess from the name, Yellow Snow is golden in color. Unfortunately, it also smells a bit like its namesake. The taste is similar to the scent, but better, and the advertised juniper berries are faintly noticeable on the palate. Not a terrible beer, but not up to Rogue's standards. I had trouble finishing the 1 pint 6 oz bottle. All in all, a bit disappointing.

According to the bottle, this came from the 2002 batch, so it may have been sitting on a shelf for too long, explaining the bit of funkiness. I'll certainly give it another chance.

09-01-2003 23:48:15 | More by RockyTopHeel
beerguy101

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Medium gold color, medium head. A medium bodied pale ale. Smooth malts and spicy hops are nicely balanced. Brewed with whole Juniper berries. They give the beer a nice spicy finish. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly spicy and very slightly bitter. Painted/etched beer bottle.

09-19-2003 01:47:32 | More by beerguy101
Guinness4me

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Am I the only person that thinks the guy on the Rogue labels looks a lot like George Clooney? I digress...the beer poured a deep, yellow amber with a delicate lace. The first nose-blast was soapy dishwater, followed by floral and hop scents.

The taste was indicative of APA's and seems to me to be a very good example of the type. The mouthfeel is standard and I'm sure most APA fans would find it highly drinkable. I'll keep my stouts and porters thankyouverymuch.

09-20-2004 03:54:41 | More by Guinness4me
adamette

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.83 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Basic light copper translucent body under a one inch off white meringue like head that sticks reasonably well to the inside of the pint glass. 3.5

S Really just smells like a standard Pale Ale. I do not get "Juniper" aromas but only minimal hops and malt that someone might expect from the style. 3.0

T Basic Pale Ale taste of minimal malt, hops but then a rather bitter, organic taste (could that be the Juniper?) that is not to my liking. Repeated sips nearer the bottom of the glass reveal a bit more flowery Juniper tastes but really I am not impressed. 2.5

M Thin except for the bitter Juniper and minimal hops bitterness. 3.5

D Just fine but there are more drinkable beers within this style. 3.5

Notes: Gimmicky idea for a beer that Rogue seems to do repeatedly. This one did not work for me.

12-30-2009 14:07:25 | More by adamette
CaptainIPA

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Pours a cloudy, golden orange color with a moderate head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam.

S: Subtle nose doesn't track with that of a typical pale ale. Perhaps the addition of juniper berries subjugates the aroma of hops.

T: Opens exceptionally dry and bitter, with a bright effervescence throughout. Finishes with a juniper beery bite that lingers. Lacks a noticeable malt foundation and any interplay with hops. Not entirely satisfying.

M: Well carbonated with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

D: Not familiar with the Herbed/Spiced Beer style, but certainly not representative of what I'm looking for in a Pale Ale. Mediocre at best.

03-21-2010 03:30:03 | More by CaptainIPA
weizenbob

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Since being introduced to Short’s Spruce Pilsner earlier this year, I’ve been fascinated by the use of conifer tree matter in beer. Sure, hops can imply pine, but why not just use the real thing?! I stumbled upon this offering from Rogue at Tilley’s in Traverse City, MI while seeking out fall seasonals. Pale ale brewed with whole juniper berries? Sounds awesome. I snatched up this 22 ounce “bomber” for $6.99.

I cracked the cap and poured into a tulip glass. A horizontal pour yields two fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent. Fluffy tufts of lacing caress the glass. The brew is quite pale with a golden tint and a fair amount of haze. I could easily mistake it for a weizen.

The aroma is mellow and yeasty. Juniper does manifest in a subtle piney aroma, but if I didn’t know about the juniper berries I would probably just guess that it had been dry hopped with simcoe. This really smells like pale ale first, juniper second. Fresh hoppy aromas waft from the glass. It’s much simpler than I was expecting, but I like it regardless.

The taste is kind of a letdown. I’m getting the juniper berries, but in the form of a watery fruity essence, as opposed to the piney resin that I was expecting. Lacking any other alpha flavor, the alcohol seems pretty high in the mix. All 34 IBUs manifest on the finish. The problem is that there isn’t much going on in between. Champions of this beer could say that it is subtle, but I just think it is bland. The base beer is very light; and the juniper berries don’t add enough to the equation to make them worth mentioning. It’s nicely hopped for a pale ale, but where’s the malt to balance?

The mouthfeel is unimpressive yet inoffensive. Being so light, the beer feels pretty watery in the mouth. It’s light bodied, but certainly on the heavier end of light. I will even go out on a limb and say that it is mildly creamy (but just mildly). The carbonation is sharp and stinging. This is a very confused beer.

This was going so well. It looks nice and smells good, but when it really counts, this beer does not deliver. It works okay as a basic pale ale, but I certainly can’t justify the cost ($3.81 / 12oz) when better basic pale ales are readily available. And I’m fine with the use of juniper to add to the whole, but why make such a big deal out of it if it is not going to be a primary flavor? Juniper Pale Ale scores a resounding “Meh.”

---

The Two-Schlitz scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
In a personal shocker, I can say that I don’t give a Schlitz for Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. It’s about as rogue as John McCain.

10-03-2011 03:00:05 | More by weizenbob
t420o

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

A- pour produces a 2-1/2 finger off white head that rests on a slightly hazy straw colored body. Good retention 4

S- cereal grain, alcohol, metallic twang, slightly herbal, slightly bitter smelling. Not a very appealing smell 2

T- bland. Not bad, but very bland. Grain, slight yeast taste, malt profile is ok, slight floral hop, slightly herbal. I like juniper berries and love them in the only other beer I've had with them which is Mammoth 395 IPA (one of my favorites specifially because of the juniper), but this beer has none that I can really taste. Pretty disappointing but my expectations keep going lower and lower for Rogue beers. 3

M- good mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the light side of feel and good body.  4

O- at $5.99 for a 22 it wasn't too expensive but I still feel ripped off. This is such an average beer it should be like $2.99. Oh wait but they have those cool labels on the bottles that they spend all that money for! 3

C

05-17-2012 03:46:21 | More by t420o
bboven

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Great head, gold color about twice as dark as MGD, great lacing.

Smell is all basic two row malt. Where are the hops...

Lot of honey, a little bitter, very sweet almost makes it seem like it's under-attenuated.

Surprisingly thick and creamy mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

This stuff would be great to bring along on any summer outing.

08-18-2007 00:29:37 | More by bboven
TheDM

Indiana

This 2002 brew poured a small head of small bubbles. It had a transparent light amber colored body with carbonation rising in the mug. It has a floral aroma and a very tart initial taste that was overcome by and even stronger bitter/tart finish that left behind some spicy elements.

07-13-2003 08:51:00 | More by TheDM
DouggiePhresh

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An overall average beer. It poured into my ,5 l Rastal stange, decent amount of carbonation. Puffy head until I took a sip then diminished into a thin film. It tasted like an I.P.A. There is a slight aftertaste of raw plant. Nothing special about this beer.

04-29-2006 01:04:07 | More by DouggiePhresh
guitarmage

Oregon

Appearance: Cloudy unfiltered apperearance, a golden rod hue. Head wasn't much to speak of and minimal lacing was left.

Smell: I tried to smell the hints of juniper, and I think I did. Big herbal hops, mild toasty malts.

Taste: Spicy and herbal hops, hints of juniper, big malt flavors upfront as well, nothing really distinctive, subtle flavors.

Drinkability: This beer is well done, but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to get from it either. There are many pale ales that do more for me, and the herbed character wasn't especially impressive.

05-25-2006 07:16:03 | More by guitarmage
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

Got this beer as a bonus brew on a recent trade. I find beers in this style to be a grab bag - awesome, average or what were they thinking?? This one seems to be more of an average brew. I will confess to never having had juniper berries. Wouldn't know what they taste like before considering reviewing a beer.

The biggest impression I get from this beer is a moderating effect to the typical Rogue house style. While slightly spicy and easy to drink, to me the biggest contribution from the juniper berry seems to be mellowing out the typical Rogue hop / yeast character.

Decent and easy to drink. Out of the ordinary and worth advocating, not really.

12-26-2006 13:47:43 | More by barleywinebrewer
dirtylou

Washington

22oz bomber, split three ways last friday night after work

appearance: poured into pint glass, watery golden-yellow body

smell: ehh, grainy malts, skunky noble hops, light pale malt

taste: Maybe im missing the point of this beer or something, but i was totally unimpressed by this rogue offering - just not a good APA...really grainy, skunky euro hops, light and watery. No Thanks.

mouthfeel: light and watery, grainy

drinkability: decent

02-01-2007 04:21:17 | More by dirtylou
MoreThanWine

Poured a 2" head which took awhile but dissipated completely. Hazy straw yellow. Smell of malt. Taste was strong lager with a pretty crisp finish. They say juniper was used in the making and I'd kind of expected hints of gin in it but if the labelled hadn't said juniper I'd have never known.

01-28-2011 09:43:00 | More by MoreThanWine
brewerburgundy

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, thanks Rogue, no freshness dating on the bottle. I have had it for at least a month in the fridge, so it's not super fresh.

Clear, light end of gold beer with a very lovely white, rocky head. Lots of it on the pour, nice retention, lacing, and clumpiness.

I'm definitely thinking this is not too fresh judging by the aroma, or lack thereof. The hops seem to have mostly disappeared. There's a solid pale malt base, nice graininess, and a subtle, cooling herbal note. I'm really digging at the moment, but it's not like a fresh pale ale. Oh, and of course the Pacman yeast.

The taste is essentially as I described the aroma. The evergreen, cool herb is perhaps more distinct and the grainy malt is very hearty.

Nice, medium weight in the mouth. Despite the head, the carbonation is medium-low.

I don't feel like this is an ideally fresh sample, but I know it has been treated well (refrigerated). The Juniper isn't overwhelming at all, in fact, it seems barely there to me, but it's nice.

03-29-2013 23:03:52 | More by brewerburgundy
semihobo

Bomber with no date.

Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a turbulent sticky head that has great staying power.

Smell is piney hops (perhaps that is aided by the juniper?) with dry, crackery amber malt. The beer is cold, but the smell is still pretty subdued, developing a small off-note as it warmed.

Taste is pretty much a plain pale ale. Hops are split between bittering / flavor, malt is crisp. Pretty dry when cold, although it gets a little cloying as it warms. Nothing extreme going on. There is a hint of juniper on the finish but it is very subdued and is somewhat redundant with the piney hops... a little disappointing.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.

As a matter of personal taste I like my herbed / fruit / oddball beers a little over the top. This is a fine pale ale, but grading within the style, it loses points for juniper failure.

01-06-2008 04:34:38 | More by semihobo
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A - warm golden wheat with a slightly copper hue. Pours clear with a centimetre of head that quickly dissipates to a lacy thin rim. Occasional bubbles that aren't over powering. Best part of the beer is the warm glow of the colour.

S - Initial smell of lemon peels and grapefruit followed by a hoppy pine sap and a faint floral scent. Overall the smell is mild compared to other notable pale ales. Considering this is a juniper pale ale neither of us tasters could detect juniper on the nose.

M - Medium bodied, nice balance of carbonation.

T - Nice balance of hoppy bitters, flavours of citrus peels and pine sap. Bitters linger for a short stay on the tongue. Once again considering this is a juniper flavoured beer, the herbacous juniper flavour was hard to detect. As the beer warmed the bitters were more pronounced and the flavours developed. Starting drinking it at around 10 degrees, and warmed to approximately 15 - certainly more complex as the beer warmed.

O - While the flavours improved as the beer warmed, this beer was not memorable for either the flavour or the scent. I was looking forward to a herbaceous complex flavour or smell, but was left trying to finding it all the way through. While I didn't find the juniper anywhere - I find this easy to drink, but not something I'd reach for.

03-11-2012 07:35:50 | More by FondueVoodoo
HoppyHomo

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

12-07-2012 03:12:51 | More by HoppyHomo