Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Frank Zappa always said "Don't eat the yellow snow." Well he never mentioned anything about drinking it.

Pours a clear light orange with e decent white head, resembling your average american lager in appearance. Aroma is heavy on the grainy side, with a good dose floral hops backing things up. Taste is nothing special here. Mostly bitter from start to finish, there is some grainyness in the background. Not really malty, just a slight taste of cereal grains. This beer could use some balance. Mostly floral bitter hops, not much else besides a funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel is fairly clean but nothing special. Too bitter without enough flavor to be very drinkable. Nothing special here - your average rogue ale, only not as good. Don't drink the yellow snow either.

avylover, Dec 21, 2003
Photo of
2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

On tap at Brix in Jacksonville Beach. Slightly hazy, yellow orange in color, essentially no head. Aroma was non-existent, salt and lemon? The taste was a lemon hops primary with some malt balance. Juniper was AWOL. Aftertaste was unpleasant. Body was light and the carbonation was medium. Flavor, overall was good but nothing special. Aftertaste hurt my scoring of the flavor. I would not have another.

, Sep 05, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Overall, this was a disappointing effort from Rouge. Plenty of citrus notes (lemon rind, most notably), and of course, juniper. The taste, however, was too dry and left almost nothing on my taste buds on the finish. The mouthfeel was really watery, even for a spiced beer. It is quite refreshing, however, and the smell is pleasant. This is the sort of spiced beer that could have worked on a hot, summer day, except for the juniper, Christmas-tree-like aftertaste. Not bad, but disappointing considering Rouge has put out some great stuff.

brewsclues, Nov 20, 2011

olympicgatorade, May 03, 2012

Envelopes, Oct 26, 2012

Keiferfillinger, Dec 10, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color that is hazed a bit and produced a modest white head that dissipates to a light layer covering the beer like a blanket. It has a very, very faint aroma with nearly no discernable aromas. This is a very unique characteristic, or lack there of from an awesome brewery. The taste reveals lightly sweet malt with a well-pronounced hop. It is light bodied and finishes with a slightly dry bitter. Not a great representation of the style, but it could be a great crossover beer to get a macro drinker familiar with hops without shocking their taste buds. Cheers!

BeerAngel, Feb 14, 2003

TequilaTom, Aug 02, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -23%

Juniper Pale Ale pours a golden yellow color into my snifter. Only a sliver of an off-white head, which disappears completely within a minute. Average to below average lacing for this brew. The nose is mainly lemon, pineapple, hops and malt. There's an earthy-ness to the nose as well. The taste is fairly underwhelming. I get the hops, but beyond that.... not much. It's also so dry that I can't really get much- the flavors evaporate off your tongue so fast I can't identify them. The earthy/lemon quality is still there in the taste as well. Feel is super thin and way too dry. Overall, this one misses the mark for me. Cheers.

jayhawk73, Nov 16, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -23%

A- gold and hazy with fluffy white head leaving good lace on glass

S- very plant like. grassy and malty with spicy hops

T- a bit odd for me but the juniper does come though with spicy aftertaste of hops and biscit like malts

M- ok but a tad bit sticky for a pale ale imo

O- a very differnt style of pale ale but just average for me. there are better ones out there by far. glad i only bought one bottle as the six pack is pretty pricey.

dankster, Dec 20, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured out a 22 oz. bottle.
A: Orange/amberish, bronze-almost copperish color with a head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thin, sticky, white head throughout. Decent lacing.
S: The smell left some wanting-piny, floral, earthy aroma with a malt back. Not as pungent as I was hoping.
T: Hoppy floral beginning with malt middle and a bitter balanced ending. Ends with a juniper-like bitterness and dryness to offset the malt. Balanced, but I was expecting more.
MF: Medium to full mouthfeel.
Overall: A decent selection from Rogue, but I was expecting more. Not their strongest brew, but worth a try nonetheless.

Illinick, Sep 01, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat the yellow snow...
A light yellow pour with a good size head. It had a semi floral smell, nothing spectacular. I didn't care much for the taste I was upset with the lack of balance that rogue usually exceeds in. I like hoppy, but this was too much.

CBFanWish, Dec 26, 2003
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Saffron colour with no head. A ring of lace settles where the beer sets for a little while. Despite that, no lace at all. Smells of malt, gin, dry hops and cigar leafs. Is tobacco brewed in this beer? Tastes okay. Earthy, tobacco and gin taste mellowed out by a sweet malt character. Mouthfeel is a little too astringent. This was my first beer from Rogue. I was disappointed. It's actually a bit of a bland beer. Personally, I find very little to write about it. Yeah, it was drinkable. But this is one beer I won't be purchasing. Hopefully, my next Rogue experience will be a much more pleasing one.

slitherySOB, Dec 02, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

I love Rogue Brewery and will always opt to taste something new if I see it. This one popped out so I had to give it a try.

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a golden blonde pale hue. No head whatsoever and not much lacing. On the nose it is a bit boring, yet shines with a dry sweetness. I am not getting much Juniper, which is disappointing to say the least. The flavor isn't giving much Juniper either due to an overwhelming sense of hop flavor. It is a bit of a full mouthfeel with not much balance through the palate. There is a bit of an earthy, dry finish with little or no resonance to the initial flavor.

For me, this beer is missing something... I can't put my finger on it. I'm glad I tried it, but will opt for the Yellow Snow when it comes to Rogue pale ales.

unitas3, Feb 25, 2009

12oz bottle into pint.
A: Deep yellow to a gold body color, with a fluffy white head that settles with sticky lacing. Good levels of carbonation.
S: The aroma shows a pilsnerlt and a bit of a grassy note. Medium intensity on the aroma.
T/M: The Upfront flavors are of a light ale, but the juicy body does not hold up through the finish, the berries give off a strange moab taste. The berries show me a bit of an off putting usage, a dry medicinal note.
D: I do not think that this would beer I would drink again. Enjoyed about the whole glass and thats a fine taste for me.

GDBEERMAN, Jan 17, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

whartontallboy, May 19, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

I was so excited to try this beer and it left me completely bummed. The pour was decent with golden colored liquid accompanied by a white head that left some lacing. The smell of the beer really didn't give me any reason to believe there was any juniper in there. The taste was kind of on the typical ale flavor side with not too much else really jumping out at us. The mouthfeel was decent, it was a bit heavier than some ales but not by much. Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. Better luck next time I guess.

Knapp85, Jun 20, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with no freshness date to be found. Ingredients and a blurb about the brew on the label.

Appearance: Mild tobacco earthy aroma with a spicy hop / juniper and pale malt sweetness.

Smell: No not the colour of yellow snow, more of a full glow of bronze with a patchy white lace.

Taste: Smooth with a crisp malt and fullish mouth feel, herbal and almost tobacco like hop bitterness and flavour erupt in the mouth with a light juniper berry flavour. Mild fruitiness with a sweet and malty back round, grainy finish. Hop flavour lingers and becomes a bit astringent along with a touch of juniper that brings a little sparkle to the brew.

Notes: Not a bad brew at all though hops seem to over take the brew with an earthened hop flavour that may not be agreeable with some beer drinkers.

Jason, Jan 27, 2001
2.88/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - pours a hazy pale peach color, two fingers of white foam form up (and recede) relatively quickly. Some dotted lace left behind. Nice beading action from below.

Aroma - the initial pour is a tad sloppy just to give me a nice aroma burst. I get a good orangey, tangerine citrus and, here's a first, an aroma that reminds me of Off bug repellent. Just briefly, then it disappears, leaving behind a more conventional hop and malt nose.

Taste - a light malt, biscuity base, moderate hopping coming out fairly quickly. The swallow brings out the dryer side of the hops and what I imagine must be the juniper. A somewhat tinny, (coppery?) flavor, again reminiscent of Off repellent. It's not unpleasant but not that great either. If I was more familiar with juniper it might make a difference.

Mouthfeel - very crisp, pretty light-bodied too.About right for the style.

Drinkability - not for me. The metallic bitterness isn't all that appealing.

brewdlyhooked13, Sep 30, 2006