Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,301

This 2002 brew poured a small head of small bubbles. It had a transparent light amber colored body with carbonation rising in the mug. It has a floral aroma and a very tart initial taste that was overcome by and even stronger bitter/tart finish that left behind some spicy elements. (282 characters)

Poured a 2" head which took awhile but dissipated completely. Hazy straw yellow. Smell of malt. Taste was strong lager with a pretty crisp finish. They say juniper was used in the making and I'd kind of expected hints of gin in it but if the labelled hadn't said juniper I'd have never known. (292 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bomber for $5.79. Poured into a pint glass

A: Refers to itself as "saffron colored". I'll buy that. Decent head.

S: This smells awful. A mix of sickly sweetness and stale macro crap. Ugh.

T: Decent hop flavor, finishing with a good deal of bitterness. Still too sweet, in my opinion. I don't get any juniper in this at all.

M: Fine

D: Pretty crisp, but a little sweet to have too much

Rogue has better stuff out there. (434 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

A - warm golden wheat with a slightly copper hue. Pours clear with a centimetre of head that quickly dissipates to a lacy thin rim. Occasional bubbles that aren't over powering. Best part of the beer is the warm glow of the colour.

S - Initial smell of lemon peels and grapefruit followed by a hoppy pine sap and a faint floral scent. Overall the smell is mild compared to other notable pale ales. Considering this is a juniper pale ale neither of us tasters could detect juniper on the nose.

M - Medium bodied, nice balance of carbonation.

T - Nice balance of hoppy bitters, flavours of citrus peels and pine sap. Bitters linger for a short stay on the tongue. Once again considering this is a juniper flavoured beer, the herbacous juniper flavour was hard to detect. As the beer warmed the bitters were more pronounced and the flavours developed. Starting drinking it at around 10 degrees, and warmed to approximately 15 - certainly more complex as the beer warmed.

O - While the flavours improved as the beer warmed, this beer was not memorable for either the flavour or the scent. I was looking forward to a herbaceous complex flavour or smell, but was left trying to finding it all the way through. While I didn't find the juniper anywhere - I find this easy to drink, but not something I'd reach for. (1,314 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Since being introduced to Short’s Spruce Pilsner earlier this year, I’ve been fascinated by the use of conifer tree matter in beer. Sure, hops can imply pine, but why not just use the real thing?! I stumbled upon this offering from Rogue at Tilley’s in Traverse City, MI while seeking out fall seasonals. Pale ale brewed with whole juniper berries? Sounds awesome. I snatched up this 22 ounce “bomber” for $6.99.

I cracked the cap and poured into a tulip glass. A horizontal pour yields two fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent. Fluffy tufts of lacing caress the glass. The brew is quite pale with a golden tint and a fair amount of haze. I could easily mistake it for a weizen.

The aroma is mellow and yeasty. Juniper does manifest in a subtle piney aroma, but if I didn’t know about the juniper berries I would probably just guess that it had been dry hopped with simcoe. This really smells like pale ale first, juniper second. Fresh hoppy aromas waft from the glass. It’s much simpler than I was expecting, but I like it regardless.

The taste is kind of a letdown. I’m getting the juniper berries, but in the form of a watery fruity essence, as opposed to the piney resin that I was expecting. Lacking any other alpha flavor, the alcohol seems pretty high in the mix. All 34 IBUs manifest on the finish. The problem is that there isn’t much going on in between. Champions of this beer could say that it is subtle, but I just think it is bland. The base beer is very light; and the juniper berries don’t add enough to the equation to make them worth mentioning. It’s nicely hopped for a pale ale, but where’s the malt to balance?

The mouthfeel is unimpressive yet inoffensive. Being so light, the beer feels pretty watery in the mouth. It’s light bodied, but certainly on the heavier end of light. I will even go out on a limb and say that it is mildly creamy (but just mildly). The carbonation is sharp and stinging. This is a very confused beer.

This was going so well. It looks nice and smells good, but when it really counts, this beer does not deliver. It works okay as a basic pale ale, but I certainly can’t justify the cost ($3.81 / 12oz) when better basic pale ales are readily available. And I’m fine with the use of juniper to add to the whole, but why make such a big deal out of it if it is not going to be a primary flavor? Juniper Pale Ale scores a resounding “Meh.”

---

The Two-Schlitz scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
In a personal shocker, I can say that I don’t give a Schlitz for Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. It’s about as rogue as John McCain. (2,626 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -17.2%

I love the juniper in Taqueray, but this doesn’t have that. I went in hoping for strong spicy aroma and flavor, but it was just subdued. I would think it was a pilsner if I wasn’t reading the label.
However, even it has a bit more flavor than that, it really just cuts off the tongue really quickly. This helps the drinkability, but not what you expect from a "Juniper" Pale Ale. Not a great beer for me. (408 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -17.2%

Juniper pale ale pours a darker golden color with a small lacing head. There is a dry fruity aroma, with a sharp malt notes. The taste has a sharp and strong malty backbone, with some juniper flavors coming through near the end, finishes dry, which I like. Good flavors, good body, but cheap beer base. Overall its almost a good beer, I like the juniper flavors, but the cheap beer base really hurts this. (405 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An overall average beer. It poured into my ,5 l Rastal stange, decent amount of carbonation. Puffy head until I took a sip then diminished into a thin film. It tasted like an I.P.A. There is a slight aftertaste of raw plant. Nothing special about this beer. (257 characters)

Poured into a 12oz Tumbler Glass

Appearance - Has a moderately hazy slightly dark colden color to it, with a little bit of carbonation bubbles popping up. Head pours at around a 1 finger width with an aggressive pour and has a alot of sticky lacing on the side, more so than I have seen in a while.

Smell - It's got a fairly sweet fruity smell to it along with a bready and malty scent. I'm also picking up some caramel and a slight piney hop smells in here too

Taste - Moderately fruity flavor to it, which I'm assuming is the juniper berries, along with some pretty hefty malty notes. I'm also picking up some slight bitter piney hop flavors in here too, giving it an almost grassy flavor. Overall, it's a pretty earthy tasting beer. Moderately dry aftertaste, consisting of that malty/grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel - Body is fairly light and the beer itself is pretty thin, and it's got a certain crisp & refeshing feel which I contribute to its ingredients and earthy makeup.

Overall - It's a alright beer, but it's really nothing too special even with juniper berries. It's refreshing, but that's all I can say of what is an otherwise average tasting beer (1,161 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Of all of the Rogue offerings I have had so far, this is my least favorite. Although I love the Pacman yeast, that alone wouldnt save this beer.
A nice head formed on the top but was quickly evaporated into nothing.
The only thing I know about junipers is that it is a prevalent ingredient in gins; Bombay sapphire being my favorite. I couldnt detect any juniper or gin smell from the beverage. With no juniper aroma, how could it be called a juniper ale?
The taste was that of a typical pale ale. No juniper, but a nice hop flavor and a nice yeast flavor. No matter what I do, I cant help but like the Rogue yeast flavor, and it always stands out to me.
Average mouthfeel and a pleasant drinkability. May try this once more but would most likely go for another Rogue offering. (783 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: Lightly hazy, pale golden body with a small white head.

Smell: Mild aroma with a vague biscuit character and notes of pine and citrus.

Taste: Slight dry, biscuity maltiness with a touch of caramel sweetness. Piney, citrus hop flavors with a medium amount of bitterness. The meager juniper flavor comes in right when the bitterness hits and is rather obscured by it. Heck, if the beer didn't have "juniper" in the name, you might miss it altogether. Light, lingering bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Maybe I need to lighten the fudge up, but unless the juniper berries ever decide to drop by, I say just skip this one. (686 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber Straw color, I guess you could say saffron. Pours up with a nice distinct head. A decent looking brew. I had expected a vibrant aroma from this one, with the name juniper pale ale and the greenery laden bottle. Instead I get a watery mix of mollases honey and....pennies...metallic in the back with some grains as well. The taste is decent light fruits in the front with some grainy notes and a lot of alchohol in the finish....more than is expected in a sub 6% easy drinking brew. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and not supported with enough body. Overall a drinkable brew...but I can drink better, more affordable bottles from Rouge and other outlets before this one. (682 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a nice and cloudy, pale, hazy peach color. Lots of sticky lace in the glass.

S: Hard to get much of an aroma out of this one. Very mild toasted malt and a tiny pinch of juniper. Barely noticable. Not at all like a knock you on your ass gin smell.

T: Just slightly more juniper flavor than in the nose. Dry, toasted malt and a teeny amount of citrus-y hops.

M: Dry and crisp. Prickly on the tongue and, to me, just so-so.

D: I expected more from this Rogue beer, and sadly it didn't really deliver. It's a fair beer but it seemed rather bland. (626 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly, leaving a good lace. Clear pale amber color. Slight juniper nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is juniper and hops, finish is hoppy and bitter. $1.80 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me. (267 characters)

Bomber with no date.

Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a turbulent sticky head that has great staying power.

Smell is piney hops (perhaps that is aided by the juniper?) with dry, crackery amber malt. The beer is cold, but the smell is still pretty subdued, developing a small off-note as it warmed.

Taste is pretty much a plain pale ale. Hops are split between bittering / flavor, malt is crisp. Pretty dry when cold, although it gets a little cloying as it warms. Nothing extreme going on. There is a hint of juniper on the finish but it is very subdued and is somewhat redundant with the piney hops... a little disappointing.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.

As a matter of personal taste I like my herbed / fruit / oddball beers a little over the top. This is a fine pale ale, but grading within the style, it loses points for juniper failure. (843 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

A: Hazy honey color topped by a white head made of medium sized bubbles.

S: I can smell the juniper in this beer, which is interesting because I didn't know what to expect. I also get a slightly sweet bread aroma.

T: I can taste the juniper more than I can smell it. It has a slightly spicy flavor to it, along with that bready note I got from the smell. The finish carries the juniper. The bitterness is strange; it's not bitter at all, so the Juniper does balance out the sweet malt. Its a tad different.

M: Surprisingly smooth, but it is somewhat thin. Light bodied, but well carbonated.

D: Its quite drinkable, but would I actually want another? Well, it's better than a lot of other choices. (700 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some berries. Taste is of sour berries with hops, not bad but nothing great. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent but unspectacular beer. (276 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A clean light amber/orange beer. Has a big foamy white head and some lace. There is a very interesting cereal grain aroma with hints of corn in the background. Not what I expected from "juniper". as it warms there is a light floral character in the background. There is a creamy character to the mouthfeel. The flavor is mostly a cereal grain maltiness with a light floral bitterness on the finish. (398 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Cloudy gold body with a very smooth creamy white head. Decently carbonated with bubbles rushing upwards. Nice lacing throughout the glass.

Somewhat floral sweet smell with grain. Not really impressed.

Slight bitterness upfront, metallic taste. This is quite bland for a Rogue Brewery offering. This is not horrible but not good. As it sits for a little bit a taste of honey is noticeable.

Body is light feels a little too carbonated.

Drink ability isn't good. I'm really not impressed with the taste or the feel.

This beer is lacking almost everywhere. I don't think I'd bother with it again. (597 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -15.8%

Perfectly clear copper with a light white head. Not much aroma really, just some light grassy hops with a hint of sweetness. Lightly sweet flavor with a crisp hop finish. Slightly dry with a medium mouthfeel. Pretty refreshing, just nothing too exciting. (254 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A- Pale goldenrod and unfiltered. Weak white head dies quickly.

S- Earthy evergreen comes out first in the nose. A hint of caramel and grainy malt.

T- Toasted malts with a bite of evergreen, I'm assuming the juniper. Bitterness is light.

M- Dull bitterness throughout, and the finish is long.

O- Just not that impressed with this one. The bitterness is dull and not that pleasant, and there isn't really much flavor. (459 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a two finger white head that quickly dissipates and initially has a large number of fine bubbles rising to top.
S: Very faint lemony/floral scent, some hops, nothing too spectacular, though the dense smoke in the room may have clouded my judgement in this regard
T/M: Not really picking up on the juniper or really anything that remarkable here. Very smooth with the most persistent taste being a light hoppy flavor. Basically a mediocre pale ale.
D: Not the worst, just not up to what I expect from Rogue as nothing really stood out or distinguished itself. My macro loving friends thought this was phenomenal (645 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -15.3%

One finger white froth over transparent golden. Smells of grains and herbs. "Pale ale" doesn't much come to mind once I take a sip. There's a melding of spice, hay, grains, earth, and herbs. A little watery in the mouthfeel. Allowing the beer to sit for a while really brings out the junipers.

This is an interesting beer, but it's not something I really see myself buying again. (380 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15%

Bartender served with a head that looked more like lacing. Dark olden in colour, and fairly clear. The Juniper flavour seemed to get lost in the excessive hoppinness early on. Not much malts, and it finished off a little disappointing to be honest. It did look and smell nice, if only the flavour had more resembled its appearance. Interesting, but nothing to write home about. (377 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15%

Recently found a bunch of old reviews that I never typed up. This one was from a Rogue night at the Blind Tiger this past spring...

Orange-amber liquid with a nice off-white head. Smelled foresty & earthy with caramel malt. The juniper came out later, as it warmed, and I'm glad it was subtle. I like juniper in general, but there's a reason that gin bombs never caught on.

Unfortunately, I didn't think this beer really worked. The hop and the juniper seem to have created a perfect storm of astringent bitterness that even a Rogue's blend of malts could not overcome, I'm sad to say. I was disappointed by this one and wished I'd spent my money and sobriety on one of the other delectable brews available that night (like the dry-hopped Brutal Bitter... mmm....). (771 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales