Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Breweries that make fruit beers should buy you a sample of the fruit so that you know exactly what flavor that the fruit will impart into their finish beer.

The pour brings a murky orange, golden color that seems a bit more viscous than your everyday Pale Ale. A very froathy head forms near the top of the glass and holds very firm throughout. Looks good, just a bit thick.

Sweetly aromas of peaches, pears, appricots, mangos, and kiwi fill the estery nose very quickly. Surprisingly, the citrusy and piney hops only provide a secondary layer of interest. Biscuity malts give a bready-sweet base to the aroma. The beer starts to take on English Pale Ale proportions, but with the added juniper berry. (By the way, what's a juniper berry?)

The sweet fruity, biscuity malt flavors take over the flavors right away with only a balancing hop flavor to slowly rise at mid-palate. The lable boasts the use of Sterling and Amarillo hops for a blend of citrus, pine, and grassy pungent earthy notes. The hop flavor shines a bit more late in the sip, after the fruity malty stuff fades.

As expected, the beer does take on a thicker consistency than expected which eventually hurts the drinkability. The heavy sweet fruit notes also make the beer far too sweet for Pale Ale enjoyment.

Odd for Rogue to make an under-hopped beer. C'mon guys, where's the West Coast influence? By the way, what the hell is a juniper berry!?

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. This beer is a beautiful,clear, straw color with a thick, dense, white head that lasts, leaving respectable lacing.

S - Flowery, and slightly sweet.

T - Pale malt, with a bit of sweetness, but with bitterness to balance. Some hop spiciness/earthiness. I don't get a ton of juniper up front, but it does come through in the finish.

M - medium body, somewhat creamy, with good carbonation.

O - There is nothing life altering about this beer, but it is pretty enjoyable. I may not revisit this soon, but I'll probably purchase this again. It goes go down really, really (I mean really) easy, so for a hot day this might be a good beer to pick up.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%

Visual: Poured into a funky mason jar but still looks good. Dark copper-orange in color. Solid one-finger head with topo character that takes a a good 10 minutes to dip. leaves patchy lacing around glass.

Smell: Lemon grass, grains.

Taste: Grain and clementines complemented with a leafy, floral hop presence. grainy hop bitterness lingers.

Mouth: light feel in your mouth. low carbonation.

Drunkability: Lingering hop bitterness continually demands another drink so this brew could easily be a repetitive order.

Sidenote: what the hell is free range coastal water? is that worthy of advertisement?

Found a bomber of this in Saltillo MS

Pours a golden color, had a very nice head that lasted a good while. I tried to smell juniper but I mainly got hops and citrus, there's something else there but I am not sure if I'd call it juniper.

The initial taste is a sweet citrus, only briefly though, then the hops come in and right in the back, you got your bitter juniper. None of these flavors are really strong, I think it's what it makes it so refreshing. Kind of bitter aftertaste.

This beer is ok, but at $6 a bomber I expected more.

EDIT: New and fresher bottle, way better!

Bought a bomber of this at Papa V's, Tupelo MS, $6 incl taxes

Poured into my Raise your Pints pint glass, beautiful brew, very nice head that sticks to the glas, almost golden in color.

Not much going on smell wise, very mild,like malty citrus

Taste is nice, none of the flavors are overwhelming but I get some very faint sweetness up front then the hops and juniper hit.

The mouthfeel is what really gets me, for lack of better words I'd say it feels like drinking milk. Smooth and soft while still nicely carbonated.

I like this a lot, glad I didn't review it the first time I had this, I think that bottle was old. This is a perfect beer for a tornado loaded MS day. I'll have one any other day too though :)

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

. It is a somewhat clear apple juice colored ale. The smell was very piney. I couldn’t get anything else out of it than pine. Taste wise, it is not as piney as it smells. It is a little malty and is pretty smooth. im not going to say this is a great beer, but it is pretty good.

www.yeastloveandhoppiness.com

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours with a thin half-finger white head that is somewhat creamy and very quickly dissipates to a patchy layer of thin lace on top of the beer. Leaves slight lacing as you drink. The color is a hazy honey/orange. Looks like my first homebrew!

Smell - Slightly sweet and mainly bitter/crisp hops up front. Some lighter-colored fresh fruit aromas behind this, with a bready malt aroma all the way in the back. There is little alcohol detectable on the nose.

Taste - Very bready and maybe even toasted malt character up front, with bittering, crisp, and somewhat sweet hops up next. I'm trying to pick up on the juniper, and maybe it's slightly there, but nothing definite. It finishes mainly with bready malt and some fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is earth and hops. Little alcohol throughout.

Mouthfeel - Some carbonation bite right away, but it mellows out toward the finish and becomes quite refreshing and complimenting to the overall character of the beer. It has a heavy medium-body (poured thickly) and is pretty smooth.

Drinkability - Easy! The flavors are of average pale ale strength, something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I could take down a six pack in a night easily.

A decent pale ale, although I'm a little dissapointed that a beer having the word "juniper" in its title is, at least to my taste buds, pretty much completely absent of juniper flavors or aromas. Worth a try, and probably a good sessioning beer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

22 ouncer, pours semi cloudy light amber, lifts a nice looking, loose, light oatmeal head, that then goes to a tiny bubble film and leaves better then average plentiful and fine lace. Leafy hop nose, with a hint of mint. Tasty bready malts up front, then dove tailing with resiny and more minty hop notes. Nice balance and better then moderate interest here. One of the huge line of BA worthy Rogue offerings. I dont get much in the way of the advertised juniper, which would have been nice. Worth a try, but nothing too special.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Presentation: 22oz bottle with man & dog stating "Together we can do it." What "it" is I'm not sure, though I will admit to having made yellow snow in my lifetime (haven't we all?).

Appearance: I was surprised by the cloudy and rich orange color of the pour. Generous rocky-looking head persists and coats the glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops are detected, along with unidentifiable spices.

Taste: I felt like this beer didn't know what it wanted to do. No distinct flavor really dominated the scene. It was a mixture of spicy, grassy hops, fruit, and even some caramel sweetness fighting each other.

Mouthfeel: Solid body to this beer. Not creamy smooth or anything like that, but not particularly harsh either.

Drinkability: Crisp and almost "dry" aftertaste make for above average drinkability.

My first sample from Rogue. I expected more but I'm not a big fan of herb/spice beers. I'll try a stout or pale ale and see how that goes.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

had not tried one of these...so i gave it a shot.
interesting brew. has a piney/junipery sort of whang to it...almost in a citris way.
A: golden yellow..nice head..stayed for a while too
S: somewhat malty, but you can pick up the hops and other flavors
T: some hops...not as much as some other rogues..but nice...the juniper/pine flavor is there in the aftertaste..not too bitter..but the flavor is distinct. I think this would go well with something that likes citris...say fish or spicey foods...tia come to mind...
M: nice, but not too full..like a good pale ale should
D: very drinkable...filling too...so one 22oz is about all you would want with a meal...then move onto something else for a finisher...

overall a great craft beer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 25, 2011. The pour is an above average golden yellow with long simmering fizzy white head and delicate carbonation bubbles. On the nose there are a few malts, a few hops, and a little grass with a stronger berry element. The body was in the medium range and very comfortable for the style. The taste does embellish the bittersweet berries and they mix with your basic pale ale malt-hop character. Decent enough.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Reviewing from memory - from previous night. On Tap into pint glass.

A: Amber / dark honey color -- it may have been lighter but the lighting was dim at the bar. Noticeable carbonation and one finger head.

S: Some sweet malts, and light pine hop bitterness.

T: Sweet maltiness, some citrus hop bitterness. Maybe some peppery/spiciness in there too.

M: Medium/lighter body. Light carbonation. Crisp and a little dry.

D: Nice aroma and flavors. You can slug this one back. I had a several of these at the bar.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Review based on tasting notes from '07 Knoxville Brewers Jam.

Poured a clear gold with a pale head. Hop-forward smell, although I missed the juniper here. The taste brought out the juniper for me, but this is a hop-heavy beer. Sharpness in the mouthful and a medium to light body. Overall, this is a nice (the good nice, not the bad "nice") choice in terms of drinkability. Different and worth trying

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a big bottle into a huge frozen crystal stein. Good way to drink this one, I think.

A: Pale orangish-yellow with murky look, like unfiltered tea.

S: Floral hops with plenty of berry notes although I cannot distinguish; maybe raspberry? Honey too. Also a touch of nutmeg.

T: Spicy with hints of cinnamon and cloves going on. Pine needle presence that thankfully only lasts a second. Not sweet at all; dry and slighly bitter but ultra refreshing. Recommended on a hot day exactly the way I drank it.

D: Big time on a hot summer day.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Pale golden yellow with a nice white head that recedes in a normal amount of time, leaves lacing on the edges.

S- Smells of a pale ale, pine hops and pale malts. Some of the pine scent is no doubt from the juniper.

T- Light malt and pale ale level of hoppiness. I notice the juniper in the drink but not as much as I would like, the aftertaste is there though. Overall I wish there was a lot more juniper flavor, I am a gin guy when I am not drinking beer and was hoping for this to be a blend of both but it isn't quite that.

M- Medium body, full for a pale ale. Coats the mouth, with the juniper and spice lingering.

D- Drinkable beer but not quite what I was expecting or desireing from a beer that highlights the juniper, especially from a brewery know for being strong with flavor.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

A - A bright, yet hazy golden body with lots of active carbonation...a two finger, white, and fizzy head forms and falls into a chunky one finger cap...good lacing

S - It comes across a little lager-esque at first...once you get by that you can pick up hops, berries, and some grains

T - The taste doesn't come across as a lager...this is an ale...there is a hop presence up front that's pretty earthy...actually the entire beer is earthy throughout...a touch of honey is added for extra sweetness...I'm getting a berry taste but I don't think it's the juniper berries...it's a sweet, fruity berry...there's a touch of grain towards the middle-end of the beer...a spicy ending to this beer pairs the hops and the juniper together

M - Lighter side of medium...the carbonation level is ample, slightly creamy and smooth

D - This was an odd beer for me...you have to give it up to Rogue for using juniper berries in a beer...there is definitely a spicy, hop-like presence in this beer that makes it likable...but there is something there that makes it unusual for me

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Copper colored brew, mostly clear, with a head of white foam that jumps up a couple of inches.

Earthy hop with a dextrin depth, fruity aroma which I'll assume to be the juniper berries.

Flavor is crisp and fairly clean. Hops are a decent presence, grassy and herbal but fairly prominent for those characteristics. Malt is pale, but the depth of the flavor, especially in the finish, comes from the dry juniper taste. Dextrin, sea side, oyster cracker finish.

Strange brew, not unlike other coastal brews except this one showcases Northwest hops that stand up to any lightly heated malt. Interesting ale, may come back to it in a pinch.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Pours with one finger thick head of white color that withers off. Decent lacing. Copperish amber color. Good number of bubbles.

Aroma is a mix of malt, some weird weed (may be juniper berries as they say) and some hops which are way suppressed.

Taste: Very much the same as nose. Good balance with flavor moving towards that unknown taste. I personally have not taste juniper or no what it is. Good dry finish with no sweetness whatsoever. Just a tad perceived bitterness.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Typical bitterness and astringency but not so dominant.

Good beer. Not to my liking.

Style Rate: Herb/spiced beer he he :) 3.5 Not correct as i don't know what juniper is, just that it is some kind of berry.

Personal rate: 3.5

I wish it were more intoxicating.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm a big fan of Rogue Beers. Great product, great packaging, great marketing. I also love juniper in gin and the smell of pine trees, so this beer should be a match made in heaven.

This Rogue pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a big, bubbly head. Lots of nice lacing.

Surprisingly there isn't a ton of juniper on the nose. It's like if you took a handful of spicy grapefruit, melted one caramel on it and then ground up a couple of those spiky things from a pine cone.

This beer tastes a lot like it smells. Maybe a touch more pine on the palate than the nose. Not blowing me away.

Mouthfeel is good. Thicker than I expected and a long lasting finish that's satisfying.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega inRiverside, CA., December 2008. Price not recorded.

Pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a nice fluffy head that has pretty good (but not great) retention. Lots of stickage.

Aroma is vaguely sweet, perfumy, and gentle. Citrus, wildflowers, and a bit of pine forest. The flavor, however, is much sharper, richer, and powerful- pine trees and juniper galore cancel out anything else that may be going on. Don't get me wrong- still tasty, but definitely a one-note beer.

Drinkability suffers- its tastes good, but I wouldn't want a lot of this at one sitting.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy, yellowish-gold color. Tons of carbonation buttles rising throughout the glass. A 3 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly leaving decent lacing.

Initially, the aroma is redolent of hops, but the smell of honey-like malt soon arises and eventually predominates.

The first taste impression is of honey. soon balanced nicely by a hoppy bitterness and a hint of juniper.

Medium mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy, again reminiscent of honey. Very peppery carbonation. Smooth and silky.

A good drinker. Very pleasant.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a straw color with a 2-finger yellowish head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is made up of yeast, amarillo and crystal hops--piney and floral. The taste is piney and flowery hops with juniper berries. Quite bitter. Medicinal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, light to medium-bodied.

This is fair in the drinkability area. The aftertaste is a little medicinal and if you don't like juniper berries, it's not for you. The hops make it worthwhile.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

not one of rogue's best, yet still a relatively good brew. pours a light amber/orange colour that is slighly hazy, but has a nice frothy/chunky head to it. i was quite surprised to see this from this type of beer. the smell is hoppy and a bit citrusy, with a sweet berry-ness dominating. the taste echoes the smell, the the hops are more balanced with the sweetness than in the smell. an easy drinking brew that i'd certainly try again, but would rather just about any other rogue beverage that i've tried thusfar over this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is slightly hazy light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that gradually died down, consistently leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel and pale malts in the nose along with some hints of juniper.
T: Flavors of pale malts are present in the taste, along with notes of juniper berries—these particularly stand out and linger in the finish. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a solid and drinkable pale ale; the addition of juniper berries definitely makes the taste more interesting.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales