Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

crystal clear orange-tinted golden. frothy white head that dissapates to a minimal collar. small patches of lace on the glass. earthy, herbal aroma...almost cooking-spice like. very crisp and fully carbonated, big herbal malt flavor. quite zesty and dry, finishes sort of raw with a crisp tobacco leaf hop snap. an interesting brew that is easy to drink, though not one of my favorites from rogue. something to have when you want someting different.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Bright gold with a nice frothy head. Head settled to just a sliver leaving plenty of lace.

S: Light hops with a hint of citrus and malt.

T: Pale malt, light hoppiness. Not much juniper, which was a bit of a disappointment.

M: Clean, crisp and smooth.

D: Easy to drink. I just wish that there was more juniper. Rogue brews some big flavors and I was surprised to find this was a bit ordinary.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clean, clear pale golden with some amber and orange highlights and a sudsy, stark white head. Great looking light beer, and leaves spotted rocky lacing in spots on the glass. Has a clean herbal bread and yeast smell with some floral notes, maybe some vinous hints. Very smooth beer that has a very light malt base followed by more herbal quality that cuts through the bitterness as it shows. The juniper is revealed mostly as the grain dissipates. The herbs and hops mix to create a light crisp finish with green grassy flavors lingering. The beer has a light to medium mouthfeel. The herbal and green qualities of this beer creates a very refreshing and delicately flavored pale ale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep gold with not a very large head (although I might have chilled it too much).

Aroma is malty, earthy hops, and some tobacco. The bottle claims that this brew is made with juniper berries, but I did not detect any in the nose or in the taste.

Taste has a nice malt characteristic, very earthy hops take over, and leave a somewhat oily aftertaste. Again, I could not detect any junipers. It's a shame, that's what initially drew me to this beer. Prickly and somewhat (surprising) full mouthfeel.

Somewhat disappointing. This had all the makings of an interesting beer, but all in all is rather pedestrian.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled as "Yellow Snow Ale", so I don't know how old this bottle may be. Color is a hazy pale shade of copper. Carbonation is fairly high. Head is average-sized and barely off-white. Aroma is of that sweet earthy malt that I've noticed in quite a few Rogue beers. Not bad, but not too interesting. Taste is similar to the aroma, that "Rogue" malt is joined by a zesty hop. Bitterness is relatively high. A hint of something sweet near the finish may be juniper berries. This isn't one of my favorite Rogue beers, it seems plain by their standards, still it's a good drinker that offers a somewhat unique taste.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%

I was really looking forward to this beer. I have had my eye on it for a couple of weeks and although I do like it, its not for the reasons I thought.

It pours great with a nice one finger head that starts to dissapate quickly but then stops at about a quarter inch and just sits there. I have been siting here for a half an hour now and its still there. It has a remarkably rich looking head. It looks like merangiue on top of a pie. Really shiny with very tightly laced bubbles.

The aroma is nice although not as strong as I would have anticipated. Definately pine and I am sure juniper but its pretty hard to distinguish as juniper smells like well, pine.

Flavor is nice and hoppy, but smooth from the malt, or maybe its the juniper. The one thing is that the juniper is not as prevalent as I was hoping for. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy as you would expect from looking at the head.

This is a beer that I have really enjoyed and would buy again although it is a little on the pricey side. Also I think this is a nice idea for a flavored beer that is subtley flavored and not overpowering and gimmickey. I might throw some juniper berries in my next batch of pale ale I am making and see if I can make something similar to this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A nice golden yellow. Crystal clear and a nice 1 finger head that stayed with the whole glass.

S - Getting the earthy tones, some malt, but mostly earthy hops.

T - I am quite intrigued with this beer. First off on the tounge is spice. It is somewhat tart, yet not sour, but packs a punch. After swallowing a earthy tastes is left in my mouth. It is resiny. Not bad, but just there.

M - It is mod. to high carb. Nothing wrong here.

D - I got a 6 pack and I have had 2. I will probably have another but I am not craving it. It is good, but nothing that I'd make a night of drinking. I am glad I tried it though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An orange pour with a medium white head. The smell nicely hoppy and had a mellow fruit sweetness....berries and maybe some apricot as well. The taste had a decent combintaion of hops and fruitiness giving it nice balance. Fruitiness is present up front and then becomes more dry, malty towards the finish. Smooth mouthfeel with a semidry finish. Decent drinkability. Not one of my faves.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong spice (juniper), slight wheat, slight hop, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of a Herbed/Spiced ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong spice (juniper), slight sweet malt, slight hop, and a hint of yeast. Overall, very strongly spiced, as far as Juniper beer goes, it's the best I've had ... and only.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12oz into my arrogant bastard pint glass, pretty lively looking, nice finger and half of white foamy head which levels out to a thing layer kept going by the constant co2 rising up. Good lacing so far, looks like it's going to stick around. Hazy yellow golden color, reminds me of the inside of a mango.

Smells of herbs and fresh pine needles, not really too sure what a juniper berry is exactly, but there's something in here that gives off a nice spicey scent which invigorates the nostrils.

Taste is very well balanced although I must say I am much more in love with the smell. I do get the fresh pine forest feel from the hops, but really not much bittering to speak of as the malt really hits me more prominently in the flavor. Pale malt, and I'm thinking crystal malt as well because of the smooth semi-sweet flavor present here. It's more balancing between spices/pine and sweetness.

Mouthfeel ain't half bad, as pales go I'm quite happy with it. Smooth, refreshing, carbonation lightens it up and brings the flavoring home in this category.

Very drinkable, doesn't really draw me into it too much, the flavors are all there and everything but not blended too well to impart a great kind of drinkability I find in some other pale ales.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer poured a slightly orange, pale yellow color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer were citrus fruit hops, no berry smell whatsoever (I've never eaten a juniper berry, but I expect something)

T - The taste of this beer I wasn't too fond of, compared to other great APA's, this one was a little harsh. The overwhelming taste is an herbal bitterness is off putting, but there was enough of a citrus hoppiness to make it an ok beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was not a beer I would seek out again, to many other great APA's in the market

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bomber. "Yellow Snow Ale" printed on the bottle.

Somewhat hazy gold color, lots of carbonation clearly seen streaming from the bottom. Head is off-white and holds decently enough, leaving bits of lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is somewhat musty malts with some light spices thrown in as well. Taste is actually floral hops up-front with some piney & spicy notes..all resting on a dusty malt profile typical of many Rogue beers. The juniper doesn't do anything for me other than try and be a purposeful off-flavor. Very clean finish and smooth all the way down. Not a bad offering from them, and an interesting pale ale, but I've had much better from Rogue.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Pours a dull gold with a bit of chill haze. A creamy, off-white head starts strong and stays that way.

Smell: I pick up on dry grains, a touch of hops, and juniper berries. Has a fairly weak aroma compared to other Rogue brews.

Taste: Has a good balance between the malt and hops. The hop profile is quite constrained considering the brewer. The juniper berries are way in the background...good idea.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin mouthfeel, with a crisp, dry finish. I think the addition of juniper berries add a nice dryness.

Drinkability: Pretty high considering the spice flavor is very laid back. The good balance and dry finish make it an easy-drinking brew.

While not one of Rogue's best brews, it is an interesting pale ale.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Another new installment of the Rogue line here in Alberta. Hadn't heard of this one before.

Pours out with a white head the consistency of whisked spongy cream and great retention. Thick ripples of lacing. The body is a piercing clear amber until held to the light where it transforms to a deep golden hue. The aroma is citrus rind at first, but when I go back for more I get a dose of spice, with faint grainy malt hiding in the background.

The flavour holds up its boot straps on all sides, and blends so well it takes a moment to decipher the flavour. Rich bready malt immediately joined by spicy and rindy hops, finishing with what can only be dry, mouth-puckering bitter/sour juniper berries. The mouthfeel is full, consistent, with a creamy velvety light texture that is a pleasure to come across.

A fairly solid pale ale all around, but that extra peppery spice of the juniper on the finish doesn't really do it for me in the end, I'm quite content finishing this bottle but have no huge urge to run out and grab more.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Golden hue. Pours a 1 finger foamy white head. Slight effervescence. Head settles leaving a light foamy blanket on the surface. Very spotty lacing.

S: Light sourdough bread, with a little pine and floral components.

T: Dry and piney with a little clove and oregano.

M: Light and crisp. Bitter throughout. Dry finish. The spice is less in the flavor, but kind of filters up into the nasal cavity.

D: Character will dictate a sipping experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent hue, slight head, and a little lacing. Nose is bready and piney. Piney hop accentuated with a little Italian spice. Dry and bitter. Overall, this is a good quaff.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap poured into pint glass

a: hazy straw yellow color, minimal head that does reduce into lacing

s: citrus aroma and hops dominate

t: slight malt sweetness quicly overpowered by hop bitterness. Slight citrus bite. Very nice, definatlty for hop heads though

m&d: medium bodied, with decent carbonation. Can be a session beer if not imtimidated by hop bitterness

Cheers!!!

re-review.

pours out of the 22 oz. bomber a cloudy hazy orange colour. northwest hop aroma with some pale malt notes too. really nice full creamy mouthfeel. sessionable taste. nothing really stands out over the other. balanced. pale ale characteristics, definite rogue hops with an earthy, dry finish that i'm assuming is due to the use of juniper. a nice pale ale with a twist. the ultimate rogue session ale. tasty.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange, low head, somewhat sticky.
Big herbal smell, definitely juniper berries, pine, citrus, ripe fruit and flowers, also caramel malts.
Big green herbs straight from the beginning, with tons of grass, pine and the juniper berries spicy, astringent and prickly. Big floral notes. Fruit is next, with peach, tangerine and red apple, but way weaker than the herbal notes. Spiciness is also pretty one-sided. Pale malts, with a light sweetness. The hops are really bitter in the finish, with a metallic aftertaste which i wasn't expecting and isn't too pleasant.
Drinks like a nice ale, medium carbonation. Really dry in the finish after a few more sips.
A decent new one for me, but can't say it rocked my world.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours honey colored with 3 fingers of rocky egg shell white head. Insane lacing & head retention

S: Biscuitty malt & leafy hops

T: Biscuitty malt, leafy & minty hops up front, plus slight medicinal juniper twang. Minty hops, dryness, & some more biscuitty malt. Finishes with chalky dryness, some grapefruit, apricot & leafy hops. Almost pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, & pretty good, balance, just not super-wild about the hops used here

Drinks pretty good, but nothing special as far as pale ales go

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer caught my attention just by the name. I never tasted juniper berries, so my curiosity got the best of me. Actually, it's Rogue. And I never had this before, so I bought it when I came across it.

Anyways, poured a dark golden body with a white head about three fingers wide. Leaving lacing around the glass as it was slowly consumed. A faint hopiness and a little sweetness to the nose. Hop bitterness is mellow and doesn't linger too long. I can't quite tell where the juniper is at, but this has a sweet flavor to it. Something I don't associate with Pale Ales. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and a little fuller than most beers of this style. This would make a good session beer. A very easy drinking beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

I was quite intrigued by this beer, and decided to bite the bullet (expensive bullet) and give it a try. 650ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

It pours a slighty hazy medium apricot colour. the head is sparse, but there is a good amount of carbonation coming up to the top. It's a fairly standard looking pale.

The aroma is faint and dominated by a sweet, smooth malty-ness. There are some faint aromatic hops too, but nothing overpowering. The juniper isn't noticeable at all, which is a bit of let down.

It is slightly bitter to start, and then some light toasty malt rolls across the tongue. The hops come through nicely towards the middle and blend into some interesting and complimentary juniper aspects. It finishes with a kind of cooling effect, no doubt from the juniper. There is a nice malty finish.

Overall, this beer is subtle and balanced. It could have gone wrong in many ways, but it manages to stay on track. At the same time, I wish the Juniper was a bit more pronounced.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a very hazy yet goldish hue. And the smell is very hoppy and you can really smell juniper, smells a lot like the forest in my honest opinion. Very good hop taste that is very crisp that is really not to overpowering. Juniper tastes very interesting as well. I would say try this at least once but it is definetly not an all the time type thing.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

22 oz bottle. Poured a dark golden color, with a moderate head that slowly receded, leaving some fine lacing on the glass. Aroma is hops and some malt. Taste is hoppy with some malt sweetness. Good carbonation, and a fairly strong mouthfeel from the hops. All in all not a bad beer, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales