Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

A- pour produces a 2-1/2 finger off white head that rests on a slightly hazy straw colored body. Good retention 4

S- cereal grain, alcohol, metallic twang, slightly herbal, slightly bitter smelling. Not a very appealing smell 2

T- bland. Not bad, but very bland. Grain, slight yeast taste, malt profile is ok, slight floral hop, slightly herbal. I like juniper berries and love them in the only other beer I've had with them which is Mammoth 395 IPA (one of my favorites specifially because of the juniper), but this beer has none that I can really taste. Pretty disappointing but my expectations keep going lower and lower for Rogue beers. 3

M- good mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the light side of feel and good body.  4

O- at $5.99 for a 22 it wasn't too expensive but I still feel ripped off. This is such an average beer it should be like $2.99. Oh wait but they have those cool labels on the bottles that they spend all that money for! 3

C

t420o, May 17, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Since being introduced to Short’s Spruce Pilsner earlier this year, I’ve been fascinated by the use of conifer tree matter in beer. Sure, hops can imply pine, but why not just use the real thing?! I stumbled upon this offering from Rogue at Tilley’s in Traverse City, MI while seeking out fall seasonals. Pale ale brewed with whole juniper berries? Sounds awesome. I snatched up this 22 ounce “bomber” for $6.99.

I cracked the cap and poured into a tulip glass. A horizontal pour yields two fingers of off-white head. Retention is decent. Fluffy tufts of lacing caress the glass. The brew is quite pale with a golden tint and a fair amount of haze. I could easily mistake it for a weizen.

The aroma is mellow and yeasty. Juniper does manifest in a subtle piney aroma, but if I didn’t know about the juniper berries I would probably just guess that it had been dry hopped with simcoe. This really smells like pale ale first, juniper second. Fresh hoppy aromas waft from the glass. It’s much simpler than I was expecting, but I like it regardless.

The taste is kind of a letdown. I’m getting the juniper berries, but in the form of a watery fruity essence, as opposed to the piney resin that I was expecting. Lacking any other alpha flavor, the alcohol seems pretty high in the mix. All 34 IBUs manifest on the finish. The problem is that there isn’t much going on in between. Champions of this beer could say that it is subtle, but I just think it is bland. The base beer is very light; and the juniper berries don’t add enough to the equation to make them worth mentioning. It’s nicely hopped for a pale ale, but where’s the malt to balance?

The mouthfeel is unimpressive yet inoffensive. Being so light, the beer feels pretty watery in the mouth. It’s light bodied, but certainly on the heavier end of light. I will even go out on a limb and say that it is mildly creamy (but just mildly). The carbonation is sharp and stinging. This is a very confused beer.

This was going so well. It looks nice and smells good, but when it really counts, this beer does not deliver. It works okay as a basic pale ale, but I certainly can’t justify the cost ($3.81 / 12oz) when better basic pale ales are readily available. And I’m fine with the use of juniper to add to the whole, but why make such a big deal out of it if it is not going to be a primary flavor? Juniper Pale Ale scores a resounding “Meh.”

---

The Two-Schlitz scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
In a personal shocker, I can say that I don’t give a Schlitz for Rogue Juniper Pale Ale. It’s about as rogue as John McCain.

weizenbob, Oct 03, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Pours a cloudy, golden orange color with a moderate head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam.

S: Subtle nose doesn't track with that of a typical pale ale. Perhaps the addition of juniper berries subjugates the aroma of hops.

T: Opens exceptionally dry and bitter, with a bright effervescence throughout. Finishes with a juniper beery bite that lingers. Lacks a noticeable malt foundation and any interplay with hops. Not entirely satisfying.

M: Well carbonated with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

D: Not familiar with the Herbed/Spiced Beer style, but certainly not representative of what I'm looking for in a Pale Ale. Mediocre at best.

CaptainIPA, Mar 21, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Am I the only person that thinks the guy on the Rogue labels looks a lot like George Clooney? I digress...the beer poured a deep, yellow amber with a delicate lace. The first nose-blast was soapy dishwater, followed by floral and hop scents.

The taste was indicative of APA's and seems to me to be a very good example of the type. The mouthfeel is standard and I'm sure most APA fans would find it highly drinkable. I'll keep my stouts and porters thankyouverymuch.

Guinness4me, Sep 20, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.83 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Basic light copper translucent body under a one inch off white meringue like head that sticks reasonably well to the inside of the pint glass. 3.5

S Really just smells like a standard Pale Ale. I do not get "Juniper" aromas but only minimal hops and malt that someone might expect from the style. 3.0

T Basic Pale Ale taste of minimal malt, hops but then a rather bitter, organic taste (could that be the Juniper?) that is not to my liking. Repeated sips nearer the bottom of the glass reveal a bit more flowery Juniper tastes but really I am not impressed. 2.5

M Thin except for the bitter Juniper and minimal hops bitterness. 3.5

D Just fine but there are more drinkable beers within this style. 3.5

Notes: Gimmicky idea for a beer that Rogue seems to do repeatedly. This one did not work for me.

adamette, Dec 30, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Great head, gold color about twice as dark as MGD, great lacing.

Smell is all basic two row malt. Where are the hops...

Lot of honey, a little bitter, very sweet almost makes it seem like it's under-attenuated.

Surprisingly thick and creamy mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

This stuff would be great to bring along on any summer outing.

bboven, Aug 18, 2007

iemailjack, Jan 09, 2013

alienlifeforcecube, Aug 18, 2013

xdefeatsy, Jan 10, 2012

williamjbauer, Dec 08, 2012

Auraan, Aug 23, 2012

Loveyourbeer, Sep 22, 2013

mrelizabeth, Apr 27, 2012

12oz bottle, Ommegang tulip, thanks Rogue, no freshness dating on the bottle. I have had it for at least a month in the fridge, so it's not super fresh.

Clear, light end of gold beer with a very lovely white, rocky head. Lots of it on the pour, nice retention, lacing, and clumpiness.

I'm definitely thinking this is not too fresh judging by the aroma, or lack thereof. The hops seem to have mostly disappeared. There's a solid pale malt base, nice graininess, and a subtle, cooling herbal note. I'm really digging at the moment, but it's not like a fresh pale ale. Oh, and of course the Pacman yeast.

The taste is essentially as I described the aroma. The evergreen, cool herb is perhaps more distinct and the grainy malt is very hearty.

Nice, medium weight in the mouth. Despite the head, the carbonation is medium-low.

I don't feel like this is an ideally fresh sample, but I know it has been treated well (refrigerated). The Juniper isn't overwhelming at all, in fact, it seems barely there to me, but it's nice.

brewerburgundy, Mar 29, 2013

22oz bomber, split three ways last friday night after work

appearance: poured into pint glass, watery golden-yellow body

smell: ehh, grainy malts, skunky noble hops, light pale malt

taste: Maybe im missing the point of this beer or something, but i was totally unimpressed by this rogue offering - just not a good APA...really grainy, skunky euro hops, light and watery. No Thanks.

mouthfeel: light and watery, grainy

drinkability: decent