Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

The color is a hazy golden copper. A white head is small but tight with fair retention, leaving just a thin lacing sparsely on the glass.
The aroma is hops bud with a lightly sweet malt and a spicy tinge.
The flavor is to suit, with a fair hops presence that balances well with the malt. I get a somewhat subtle taste of berries lingering, somewhat raw, and a curious hint of evergreen needle going on. It's solid.
The body is medium with a nice feel, smooth with a crisp bite. Carbonation is moderate.
This beer is a little weak in the aroma, but certainly a solid brew, plenty enjoyable and quite sessionable.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Poured the bomber bottle into my glass and received a dark gold body with a two-finger head that stayed with the beer and left minor lacings. A dry, hoppy smell with some floral aromas and some citrus to it also, but nothing too descript. Not the greatest tasting brew, but it has a fuller citrus flavor from the juniper and there is a nice malt mix to give it a full body. A little too hoppy and dry on the back end makes it a little less smooth than it should be, but it goes down easy. Just a little too dry and not as sweet as I though - just not something I would repeatedly buy.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Another 22 fl.oz of Rogue, yippee, I have not had a new Rogue beer in ages, so I was very happy when I saw this untried offering in a local store, and so I jumped at the chance of trying this "newbie" from the Oregon based master brewers.

Labeled as “Yellow Snow Ale 2002”, it pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a light orange hue, that does have a remarkable resemblance to the last urine sample I gave the Doctor. A white frothy head that is comprised of large frothy bubbles, like the bottle, adds character to its presentation, but leaves very little lace. Average carbonation, but the head is soon gone almost completely, only a thin surface covering is left.
Nose is immediately spicy but it has a sweet honey dimension to it. Initial tastes are of restrained bitterness, which lead to a ‘soft’ malty middle. The spiciness then makes it entrance and intermingles incredibly well with the hops. This is the beers single greatest asset and uniqueness in my humble opinion. My guess is that the Styrian Golding and Amarillo Hops, are in a deeply disturbing, but tempestuous, ‘Menage-a-Trois’ with the Juniper Berries.

Overall this beer is different, almost unique, I like the controlled hop-bitterness and the ‘in-situ’ spicy facet, all combined together in an easy drinking, highly refreshing beer.

I remember the first time I created yellow snow when I was 5, and even when I spelled my name in it, well, to be honest I only got to doing the first 3 letters of my long last name, but hey I tried. Yellow Snow – who would have thought that some 28 years later I would enjoy drinking it some 3,000 miles away?

A very well-balanced and intriguing beer. Clean, crisp and highly quaffable. Well worth a try, though some may not understand its restrained complexities.

3.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange, low head, somewhat sticky.
Big herbal smell, definitely juniper berries, pine, citrus, ripe fruit and flowers, also caramel malts.
Big green herbs straight from the beginning, with tons of grass, pine and the juniper berries spicy, astringent and prickly. Big floral notes. Fruit is next, with peach, tangerine and red apple, but way weaker than the herbal notes. Spiciness is also pretty one-sided. Pale malts, with a light sweetness. The hops are really bitter in the finish, with a metallic aftertaste which i wasn't expecting and isn't too pleasant.
Drinks like a nice ale, medium carbonation. Really dry in the finish after a few more sips.
A decent new one for me, but can't say it rocked my world.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm not gonna lie to you and pretend I know the first thing about juniper berries (other than the fact they are used in the gin-making process). But since I firmly believe that beer should make a person think, here are a few fun juniper berry tidbits for all y'all:
-it's a remedy to treat tapeworm
-In the Ayurvedic system (don't ask me) juniper is believed to not only purify the body but also the aura.
-contains thujone, which I believe is a hallucinogen (of absinthe fame)
-It has stimulant and analgesic properties.
-it helps clear acid wastes from the body.
-It acts on the urinary, respiratory, nervous and digestive systems
-it's an insect repellant
-It can be used during labor to stimulate contractions.
-And it makes your urine smell like violets (as yet unproven by yours-truly).

Anyway,

This is of the 2002 breed.
Pours a smogged golden under a bleached beige head.
Nose full of ferns and pine needles, and black-light ganja. Notations of dish-washing liquid. The berry sweetness present may or may not be imaginary.
Toasty up front. Progresses towards english muffins, topped with a spit of butter. Not sweet at all, at least right away. Hops are certainly the featured event here. Lightly resinous pine cone Amarillos (oh how I love them), along with the more abrasive and metallic Styrian Goldies. Interesting cross. There's a suggestion of blueberries soaked in gin- adding minor sweetness to the general bitterness- and that is my only entrance to the topic of juniper berries.
Medium bodied and monster drinkable, though that has nothing to do with any sort of berry.
Not as unique as expected, and a bit out-of-place as a winter seasonal, but a dandy pale ale regardless.

Now off to see if that whole violets thing is true.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Pale amber pour with significant head that leaves great lacing.
Spicy and floral hop aroma hits first. I'm guessing the spiciness is actually from the juniper. Big sweet toffee malt follows. Well balanced, if perhaps a bit too heavy on the malt.
Flavour is first of all some sweet bready malt, followed by a dry spicy note from the juniper. Good hoppy bitterness makes for a long-lasting finish. Great complexity for what is often a simple style.
Creamy mouthfeel, but more carbonation than necessary.
Quite impressed with my first Rogue.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled as "Yellow Snow Ale", so I don't know how old this bottle may be. Color is a hazy pale shade of copper. Carbonation is fairly high. Head is average-sized and barely off-white. Aroma is of that sweet earthy malt that I've noticed in quite a few Rogue beers. Not bad, but not too interesting. Taste is similar to the aroma, that "Rogue" malt is joined by a zesty hop. Bitterness is relatively high. A hint of something sweet near the finish may be juniper berries. This isn't one of my favorite Rogue beers, it seems plain by their standards, still it's a good drinker that offers a somewhat unique taste.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Very hazy. The color of over ripe apricots with a small white head that fades to clouds lining the top of the beer.

Juniper is what makes Gin taste like pine, right? Right? None of that here. Pac man yeast takes center stage against Amarillo hops, fruity and dry and slightly wine-like.

Tastes like berries upfront, moving into the pac man yeast, and ending on dry, simple hops. Nothing here really gets me moving, but it's solid all around. I also really like the pacman yeast.

Easy drinking, firm summer session ale.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

This brew pours a cloudy orang-red color with a small white head. The aroma of juniper and pine with some fruit peaking through. The taste is like a pale ale softened by juniper. It reminds me a lot of Fraoch. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and medium bodied. Overall, this brew is a nice change of pace.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

One of my favorite Rogue bottles thus far. Pours a medium straw yellow with a puffy off-white head. Smells of light, macro-ish malt, with palpable un-macroish floral and citrusy hop notes. Taste is light, crisp, smooth malts with a touch of fruitiness. Hops are the main event here; very grapefruit-citrusy in flavor, but not too bitter. Finish is a touch oily, bitter, and thirst-quenching. I'd rather drink this in the summer than in the winter. Reminds me a little of New Belgium's Loft (but I like the Loft more).

3.43/5  rDev -5%

I appreciate the concept inherent in this herbal beer; however, this ale is less charismatic than most of Rogue’s other efforts. Juniper Pale Ale (also known as Yellow Snow) is clouded chamomile color with a relaxed sudsy head and broad draping lace. It tastes like a clean and handsome pale ale in a curious juniper dress. An agreeable curiosity and a welcome diversion, but not a standout on Rogue’s roster.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear, bright yellow in color, one inch head, high carbonation

Smell: wood and citrus hops

Taste: wood, citrus hops, caramel malt, melon, and bubblegum on the finish--is that the juniper taste?

Mouthfeel: moderately bitter, medium light bodied, high carbonation, dry

Drinkability: The taste gets better as it warms and is only slightly different than most pale ales. Very dry and on the hoppier side I could have two. A sipper.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours mid gold with a big head, this is a beer that reveals its charms with time and a little warming up. The nose is hoppy and slightly piney . The beer at first is a normal APA with the tradmark Rogue yeast taste but after awhile the juniper comes out in the finish as dry and herbal. A nice drinking beer with subtle influence from the juniper

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

This brew pours an impressive nice semi see thru amber colour with a good looking sudsy,foamy two finger head which then settles down to a nice tier of foam across the top of the beer,i really like the aroma of this it comes across with a nice clean,crisp,herbal smell very nice,it has a good medium moutheel to it with that clean crisp aroma coming thru on the taste and i also can taste a nice taste of the juniper berries in there aswell but i dont find it overly dominant in the brew just nicely paired and it does finish quite bitter,overall a nice brew that is easy to session on and afterall being a beer by Rogue im not suprised.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

What impressed me about this ale was how sharp the spicy/floral hops were at the middle, but then became quite dry at the finish with relatively little hops residual.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales