Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Pours a light amber, very similar in color to a hefeweizen. Very little head.

S: Slight smell of berry with alittle sweetness. Smell resembles an IPA.

T: Lots of hops up front, with some sweetness. My first reaction was that it's a slightly sweet IPA. The berry comes through alittle, but is not overpowering. Bitter aftertastes lingers for quite a while.

M: Very heavily carbonated.

D: The heavy carbonation and bitter aftertaste make it a nice beer to sip, but not something I would want to drink as a session beer. Overall though, I like it quite a bit.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured this one into a big glass stein, got about 1/2 finger of unremarkable head with moderate retention. The color was a pale straw, and the beer had a few big bubbles coming up through it.

This smelled slightly sweet, with a bready malt aroma and mild hops. I REALLY enjoyed the flavor. Rich, balanced bread and butter body with light juniper sweet notes coming through and creating a pleasant tangy aftertaste. I was expecting a bit more juniper flavor. However, the subtle juniper flavor that came through was a very nice touch, and I rather enjoyed the way that the flavor evolved in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was smooth and buttery. This was really nice to drink. My notes from that evening say "De-liscious." It went down quite smoothly with a nice aftertaste.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

Pale orange color, gathered a small head and quickly dissipated. Nice lacing on the glass the entire time.

Mildly Sweet hoppy aroma. I wouldnt guess juniper berries if I didnt already know. Some of the aromas from mild Belgians come through like mild barnyard and clovey spice.

Taste is very in line with the style (pale ale). Sweet (mildly) and nicely balanced hops interact. Citrusy hop character is present. The Juniper is really an afterthought, although it comes thru really nicely. Again, not sure I would be able to pinpoint it to a "spice" addition to the beer though.

The juniper really shines thru in the mouthfeel. Nice spicy,zesty finish. Makes it seem more carbonated than it is in a nice way. All the flavors start to pop when I inhale after swallowing.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Nice spicy pale ale I could drink all day.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pours a Golden Yellow with a Yellowish head. It goes down smooth and tastes like any other IPA. To be honest, after having other beers brewed with Juniper berries (DFH Sah'Tea & GSB Sleigh Ryed) I was expecting the Juniper berries to come through a bit more. It's still really good for a Pale Ale though and I do enjoy it.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz Bottle

Appearance: Rich yellow that is just shy of being amber. Fluffy white head that settles to a very thin ring.

Smell: Citrusy hops and potting soil like earthy aroma. Juniper scent is there but very subtle and balanced with the malts.

Taste: Herbal/earthen flavors balanced nicely against the malts. Clean hop flavors that help highlight the juniper. Hop and juniper take the stage at the back end of each sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body. Smooth and soft on the pallet.

Drinkability: Session strength and body, however, the hops and juniper will likely be fatiguing after more than 2 glasses.

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy bronze with a coarse head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Citrus and juniper berries, hint of lemon

T: Piney bitterness and flavor, some citrus and juniper, malt presence is their but quickly dissapears with the extremely dry finish, gin like flavor from the juniper berries really lingers in the aftertaste, so much so that its still their in the next sip.

M: Nice creamy mouthfeel, crisp and very dry, some coarse bitterness.

D: Not for everyone, distinct gin like flavor (I like gin) especially in the finish, good beer just not a regular of mine.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Really interesting colors happening, opalescent even. Shimmering as the light passes through at different angles and intensities. Goes from goldenrod to pale yellow. Overall adequate level of head retention.

S - Very floral and piney notes. To me, this is especially aromatic for pale ale.

T - Light and spicy, I'm not sure how well the juniper comes through here. Maybe as a volatile aftertaste you feel floating around your mouth as much as you taste on the tongue.

M - Feels like a beer, nothing especially exciting happening here. Dry, light hops, bit of spice.

D - An easy drinking beer that could work equally well on a cold day (thanks to spice) or a warmer day (thanks to the lightness and hops). Versatile and tasty, a typically drinkable offering from Rogue.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An overall average beer. It poured into my ,5 l Rastal stange, decent amount of carbonation. Puffy head until I took a sip then diminished into a thin film. It tasted like an I.P.A. There is a slight aftertaste of raw plant. Nothing special about this beer.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. This beer is a beautiful,clear, straw color with a thick, dense, white head that lasts, leaving respectable lacing.

S - Flowery, and slightly sweet.

T - Pale malt, with a bit of sweetness, but with bitterness to balance. Some hop spiciness/earthiness. I don't get a ton of juniper up front, but it does come through in the finish.

M - medium body, somewhat creamy, with good carbonation.

O - There is nothing life altering about this beer, but it is pretty enjoyable. I may not revisit this soon, but I'll probably purchase this again. It goes go down really, really (I mean really) easy, so for a hot day this might be a good beer to pick up.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I rather enjoyed this beer, though I didn't expect to. It's light, crisp, and airy, like a pine, but it was nice that the pine flavors were subdued and barely noticable. They weren't a main feature like the name and bottle suggest. Instead, you had to hunt for them. This beer reminded me of something like the ultimate bud light. Not in flavor, but in spirit. It's light with fairly crisp notes and no murky flavors and little maltiness. The carbonation seemed to match well. I like it more than the more carbonated Sam Noble Pils, which seems to be a beer for a similar occasion.

Now, I had this beer when I was in no particular mood to drink beer, due to snowboarding in the morning, but that's why I was so pleased with it. It suited my mood perfectly at the time. Two bottles gave me a nice tiny buzz and not a whole lot of powerful heavy beer flavor to reckon with and potentially make me thirsty.

It's probably a really good crowd pleaser (for company), much more so than say a Sierra Nevada Pale. There's nothing really bad to say about the beer, it seems to be achieving everything it wanted to achieve, and lends no unwanted flavors. Drinkability should be high for the majority; it was good for me. The only likely source of complaints will be from manly men who know their beer and want some ass kicking heavy stout, in which case they should have brought it.

Finally, I appreciate the brewers ability to incorporate a respectable amount of alcohol hp into a pretty unassuming package, like a geo metro with a v6.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

When I first tried this beer, I thought that I had made a terrible mistake in buying it. The initial taste was hard to place, but reminded me of mint and medicine. After I let it set for a few minutes I did warm up to the flavor. Not too heavy, but the juniper taste seems to linger for a while (at least I'll guess it's juniper as I'm not sure when or where I last had anything with juniper in it). Light body, had a huge head when I poured it that stuck around for a pretty respectable amount of time. Was an interesting drink, glad I tried it, but no interest in having another.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%