Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

MichelleJeremy, Aug 29, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%

KYDrew, Dec 31, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

Steff_Wantz, Dec 05, 2013

WSUBuckeye65, Nov 21, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

S- out of bottle into glass

A- golden haze with nice head

S- hops, berry, hint of pine?

T- This beer is clean and crisp throughout with a little hoppy bite. Starts off berry, then the hops hit you, not hard, just enuff to leave you wanting a little more then a piney tast with a sweet somewhat tart finish.

O- Rogue sometimes dosent get enuff credit IMO b/c they have been making good beer for a long time. There are not the latest and greatest but everytime I pick one up Im pleased. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this brew and will continue to pick it up as the spring seasons come and go. Its an enjoyable citrus pale ale thats not going to knock your socks off but will satisfy most pale ale lovers taste bubs year in and out.

cwoods, Apr 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%

mporembs, Aug 09, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

asarfan, Jan 15, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

mikeb3408, Feb 17, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +13%

- Gotta love the big bubba bottle, the name, and the victorious skier dude with mutt print!
- A clear, honey-colored ale with a white, fizzy head that rapidly dissipates.
- Floral and fruity hops invade the nostrils, supported by an underlayer of malt and a touch of spice.
- Smooth, malty body with fairly dynamic carbonation. Hops are ubiquitous, but not overbearing. Dry, spicy, mildly bitter finish.
- A highly drinkable pale ale with a unique twinge imparted by juniper berries. Another round, bartender!

Valevapor, Dec 17, 2002
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Thought this would be a try-once bottle but we've had at least a sixer. Very drinkable and not as much juniper considering the name. The pretty hop aromatics are assertive and complex. Would make a great everyday pale ale if it was local. One of my favorite Rogues.

bisoubisou, Feb 18, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -50.1%

A - I poured the beer more heavy handed than I should have and it had about 3 1/2 fingers of head. The color was a dirty yellow, not quite opaque. It resembled dehydrated urine. The head died down pretty quickly and left blotches of foam on the top.

S - It smells like an average American lager but with an oily twinge.

T - The taste is slightly pungent and has an oily bitter flavor. It reminds me of the taste of leaves, grass, or an unripened berry you may have accidentally tried as a kid. I actually don't like the taste, and I do not think it would grow on me. For some it might be a pleasurable change, but this beer is simply not for me.

M - Mouthfeel was average carbonation and slightly oily.

O - Terrible beer on my palette. It wasn't the quality, just the taste does not suit my liking.

Josh, Mar 10, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Nevka10, Aug 22, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +26%

Wow, I love this beer!

I'm watching the final between Spain and Germany and want a GOOD session beer to drink away while getting futbol'd.

This beer is CREAMY! I love IPA's but they can be a bit much one after the other IMO, this one is milder in flavor than say a DFA 90 minute, but what makes it get such high marks the the creamy texture and aftertaste.

Nice balance of bite, smooth, and aftertaste. One of my favorite everyday beers.

fastricky, Jun 29, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -10%

drzauis, May 25, 2013

HopnDash, Feb 29, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +8%

Smooth pour with very little head. Deep amber color; inviting. This beer is made using juniper berries and I smell a variety of scents: spicy, piney, citrusy. This beer is smoothly balanced and fits the style well.

This beer is light and goes down easy with a dry finish. This is a relaxing beer to drink. With just a 650 ml bottle, I'm disappointed that this is the only I have at the moment. The price ($3.99) is reasonable for such a quality brew.

PisoMojado, Nov 10, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I received the Yellow Snow Pale Ale (an alias for the Juniper Pale Ale, as I am informed by beeradvocate) as a secret santa gift from our beer club. This was a good representation of the style, as Rogue continues to not disappoint. A great hoppy aroma, and a really nice IPA taste. This is definitely a beer that I could stay with all night.
One of the measures that our beer club uses is "would you buy a six pack of it?" and my answer would be yes...

fbandc, Dec 22, 2008

This ale was a great choice for me. If you're looking for something that isnt too heavy and has a really clean finish I highly suggest this choice. I'm not big on the real hoppy stuff, but I do want to taste it. This was perfect for that. Like i said it was had a clean finish, and was very refreshing. The place I was at had alot of taps, and many more I wanted to try, but i couldnt get enough of this one, i had 3 and was completely satisfied just having tasted this one.

hollydae77, Jul 18, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Pours light golden with a frothy but not so dense white head. Lighter than expected. Head retention and lacing are minimal.

S: Immediately identified as a northwestern style. Crisp, fresh, piney aroma. No Juniper detected (not that I know juniper taste except from Gin) but very pleasent and moderately intense aroma.

T: I think there is some Juniper here! Very nice subtle maltiness as well. The juniper is a very subtle compliment to the forward but not overwhelming hoppiness.

M: Quite highly carbonated but that suits this beer I think. Thin texture. Finishes Dry.

D: 650ml didn't last long. I immediately wished I had another one.

Bottom line: Rogue, you make very nice, but not exceptional, beers. Cut your advertising budget, sell these beers for $6 instead of $8.

CellarBrau, Dec 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

mnminear, Nov 20, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First time I had seen this by Rogue- at the Swingbridge beer and wine Topsail Island NC.
Purchased 7/11/13.

Never had a Juniper before or heard of this one by Rogue even, though I love a lot of their product.

Reasonable price, bought a 6 pack cold.

First beer took a bit of getting used to- however after the 1st, I was hooked and really savored the remaining 5. Cannot find Juniper in Eastern PA. I feel this was a sessionable and very good Pale Ale and would recommend giving it a try for sure.

Mouthfeel was great- good carbonation but not overly done of course, I felt it was a very well balanced beer as well, Juniper evident but not overwhelming to the hops, finished nicely. Good summer sipping beer and very enjoyable, different from your run of the mill pale ales.

Definitely recommend a try- Rogue always has quality and it comes through here too.
7/14/2013 review