Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros

evsinger, Aug 03, 2014

Timothy_ShaneMcCarhty, Mar 29, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into pint with a thin head.

Color was a golden color with some haziness to it.

Smelled a bit of sweet honey and spice along with the hops.

Taste was hoppy with an easy dry finish.

Shared this one with 3 others as we tryed numerous beers that night and all of us like this one.

mutt, Feb 02, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Great head. Thought it was maybe overfermented; but could not find a best by date. The carbonation was overflowing out of the 22, but when poured into glasses it had about a one inch head. (as a sidenote; this beer was served at around 8000 ft. elevation and brewed at around sea-level) Nonetheless This was a delicious american pale ale from Rogue. Not quite as much juniper flavor as I had expected though. With the price of beer rising, and this one was five bucks, it was well worth the buy, but only for a try. I will usually buy based on pricepoint and this brewery usually aims just above my line. But always worth a taste of something new and interesting.

alexmpino, Apr 27, 2008

schmoilito, May 23, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

HoppyHomo, Dec 07, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

Steff_Wantz, Dec 05, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I was surprised by the light color of this beer. It was almost yellow in color, the bottle describes it as saffron, but I'd say that "straw" would be more accurate. The cloud-like head was not a surprise - Rogue knows what they are doing.

I didn't really notice the Juniper at first, but it became more apparent as I drank more. There's a very malty smell and taste, and the finish stands out as having a very sharp bite. It's good. Very good.

HokieNoPokie, Jul 31, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Look: Golden with a thick creamy head

Aroma: Soft floral aroma with light hops

Taste: Creamy palate with fresh almost astringent green hops

Found this ale to be full of promise on the aroma but somewhat disappointing in the taste with the astringency of the hops removing any hope of a rewarding complex and floral taste. Overall an ok beer but for sessionability it is best to followe it with something slightly more balanced.

exlex, Nov 06, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy light copper color. Soft white head with moderate head retention. Giving way to a light lace along the glass.

S- Sweet malt with decent hop aroma and yeast. A slight berry hint as well.

T- Definete malty sweetness followed by substancial bitterness. The biterness gives way to juniper berries and finishes with decent amount of hop flavor. Maltiness almost had a buttery hint to it..

M- Full bodied with mild carbonation. The hops and juniper berries combine to give it an exotic tengling mouthfeel.

D- All on all a note worthy brew. Very interesting and memorable. Not a session beer but one i will enjoy again.

MoJoe, Apr 10, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +35.7%

My dream in life is to hook up with my friend Fred Savage and hitchhike to Meth Mountain in Oregon because not only is it a beautiful state, but the beer is divine. My only goal besides shooting meth would be to take the Rogue brewery tour. The Juniper Pale Ale is exquisite reminding me of how much I used to love sipping Hi-C after a hard day of water polo.

HiLLWiLLiam, Nov 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

MichelleJeremy, Aug 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%

KYDrew, Dec 31, 2012

WSUBuckeye65, Nov 21, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

S- out of bottle into glass

A- golden haze with nice head

S- hops, berry, hint of pine?

T- This beer is clean and crisp throughout with a little hoppy bite. Starts off berry, then the hops hit you, not hard, just enuff to leave you wanting a little more then a piney tast with a sweet somewhat tart finish.

O- Rogue sometimes dosent get enuff credit IMO b/c they have been making good beer for a long time. There are not the latest and greatest but everytime I pick one up Im pleased. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this brew and will continue to pick it up as the spring seasons come and go. Its an enjoyable citrus pale ale thats not going to knock your socks off but will satisfy most pale ale lovers taste bubs year in and out.

cwoods, Apr 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%

mporembs, Aug 09, 2012

asarfan, Jan 15, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Nevka10, Aug 22, 2014

mikeb3408, Feb 17, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +13%

- Gotta love the big bubba bottle, the name, and the victorious skier dude with mutt print!
- A clear, honey-colored ale with a white, fizzy head that rapidly dissipates.
- Floral and fruity hops invade the nostrils, supported by an underlayer of malt and a touch of spice.
- Smooth, malty body with fairly dynamic carbonation. Hops are ubiquitous, but not overbearing. Dry, spicy, mildly bitter finish.
- A highly drinkable pale ale with a unique twinge imparted by juniper berries. Another round, bartender!

Valevapor, Dec 17, 2002
4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Thought this would be a try-once bottle but we've had at least a sixer. Very drinkable and not as much juniper considering the name. The pretty hop aromatics are assertive and complex. Would make a great everyday pale ale if it was local. One of my favorite Rogues.

bisoubisou, Feb 18, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -50.1%

A - I poured the beer more heavy handed than I should have and it had about 3 1/2 fingers of head. The color was a dirty yellow, not quite opaque. It resembled dehydrated urine. The head died down pretty quickly and left blotches of foam on the top.

S - It smells like an average American lager but with an oily twinge.

T - The taste is slightly pungent and has an oily bitter flavor. It reminds me of the taste of leaves, grass, or an unripened berry you may have accidentally tried as a kid. I actually don't like the taste, and I do not think it would grow on me. For some it might be a pleasurable change, but this beer is simply not for me.

M - Mouthfeel was average carbonation and slightly oily.

O - Terrible beer on my palette. It wasn't the quality, just the taste does not suit my liking.

Josh, Mar 10, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +26%

Wow, I love this beer!

I'm watching the final between Spain and Germany and want a GOOD session beer to drink away while getting futbol'd.

This beer is CREAMY! I love IPA's but they can be a bit much one after the other IMO, this one is milder in flavor than say a DFA 90 minute, but what makes it get such high marks the the creamy texture and aftertaste.

Nice balance of bite, smooth, and aftertaste. One of my favorite everyday beers.

fastricky, Jun 29, 2008