Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

a
hazy honey color. thin white head leaving some lacing. doesn't
foam up a lot and what does settled quickly

s
piney. a little hoppy. not a whole lot of fragrance. very subtle.

t
floral. spice. a little hops. a little pine. sweet then bitter. almost
warm to the tongue. metallic aftertaste - the only thing i don't
really like about it.

m
medium body and carbonation. juicy.

o
liked the combination of floral and spice with subtle hops and
bitterness. like the initial taste and mouth taste, not the
aftertaste so much.

yeastlovehoppiness_jess, Jul 14, 2013

evsinger, Aug 03, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer for the first time tonight at a restaurant. This is a solid beer that went really well with my meal.

Poured golden into a standard pint glass. Had a very small white head that didn't last long.

Smells of juniper, honey, malt and slight fruitiness. Nice smell overall.

Taste is really clean and crisp. Upfront, I get a strong juniper flavor followed by honey, floral hops and citrus. Slight bitterness. Very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Good carbonation.

I will definitely have this beer again. It's refreshing and I could easily put back several of these. Would like to try this one on draft.

BeernerdJeff, Feb 02, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured with – tiny bubbles......pretty orange/gold color, white head, and nice lace. Signature Rogue hoppiness but this one has some floral spicy kick to it as well. The hops are well balanced with a nice malt flavor. Very drinkable – I could knock back many of these.

fastfwd, May 18, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

This is my first review. I'm not sure why I decided to start reviewing with a beer I didn't care for, but here you go.

A: Very slightly cloudy dark yellow. A moderate head out of the 22oz bomber, which dissipates into a thin foam film, soon dying altogether.

S: Almost none. Basically a light lager smell.

T: Not what I'd hoped for. Dry and rather bitter, on top of a serviceable pale ale. I got this because I like gin, but I get only a very small amount of the juniper berry bite that makes gin work. And that's really only on the finish. If I didn't know this was made with juniper berries, I'd never guess. I was looking for juniper and spice, but didn't get it. Warming did help a bit, so it might be worth letting this beer warm before even starting.

M: Not particularly thick, but solid. Good here. A fair bit of carbonation released on the way down.

D: Not liking bitter pale ales without a range of spice flavors, one bottle is more than I really wanted.

ArsenicDrone, Mar 06, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Looks great. Has that perfect, golden honey look.

S - A rather faint smell. Not the most aromatic beer, definitely a pleasant fruit smell, although I've never really seen/smelled a juniper berry.

T - Great taste! Definitely not a super fruity beer. If you're working your way into IPAs, this is perfect. You get that great quality IPA taste, but not superloaded with hops. Accents of the juniper berries make a wonderfully citrus complement.

M - Feels good. Doesn't dry out your mouth, the bitterness of the hops leaves your mouth salivating for a little bit after.

D - Possibly the most drinkable IPA for me. I feel like someone took a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and dropped a few berries in it and now I'm drinking it. Delicious.

jessycho, Mar 06, 2011

Thedudeman, Dec 16, 2012

Timothy_ShaneMcCarhty, Mar 29, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into pint with a thin head.

Color was a golden color with some haziness to it.

Smelled a bit of sweet honey and spice along with the hops.

Taste was hoppy with an easy dry finish.

Shared this one with 3 others as we tryed numerous beers that night and all of us like this one.

mutt, Feb 02, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Great head. Thought it was maybe overfermented; but could not find a best by date. The carbonation was overflowing out of the 22, but when poured into glasses it had about a one inch head. (as a sidenote; this beer was served at around 8000 ft. elevation and brewed at around sea-level) Nonetheless This was a delicious american pale ale from Rogue. Not quite as much juniper flavor as I had expected though. With the price of beer rising, and this one was five bucks, it was well worth the buy, but only for a try. I will usually buy based on pricepoint and this brewery usually aims just above my line. But always worth a taste of something new and interesting.

alexmpino, Apr 27, 2008

schmoilito, May 23, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about

HoppyHomo, Dec 07, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

Steff_Wantz, Dec 05, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I was surprised by the light color of this beer. It was almost yellow in color, the bottle describes it as saffron, but I'd say that "straw" would be more accurate. The cloud-like head was not a surprise - Rogue knows what they are doing.

I didn't really notice the Juniper at first, but it became more apparent as I drank more. There's a very malty smell and taste, and the finish stands out as having a very sharp bite. It's good. Very good.

HokieNoPokie, Jul 31, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Look: Golden with a thick creamy head

Aroma: Soft floral aroma with light hops

Taste: Creamy palate with fresh almost astringent green hops

Found this ale to be full of promise on the aroma but somewhat disappointing in the taste with the astringency of the hops removing any hope of a rewarding complex and floral taste. Overall an ok beer but for sessionability it is best to followe it with something slightly more balanced.

exlex, Nov 06, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy light copper color. Soft white head with moderate head retention. Giving way to a light lace along the glass.

S- Sweet malt with decent hop aroma and yeast. A slight berry hint as well.

T- Definete malty sweetness followed by substancial bitterness. The biterness gives way to juniper berries and finishes with decent amount of hop flavor. Maltiness almost had a buttery hint to it..

M- Full bodied with mild carbonation. The hops and juniper berries combine to give it an exotic tengling mouthfeel.

D- All on all a note worthy brew. Very interesting and memorable. Not a session beer but one i will enjoy again.

MoJoe, Apr 10, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +35.7%

My dream in life is to hook up with my friend Fred Savage and hitchhike to Meth Mountain in Oregon because not only is it a beautiful state, but the beer is divine. My only goal besides shooting meth would be to take the Rogue brewery tour. The Juniper Pale Ale is exquisite reminding me of how much I used to love sipping Hi-C after a hard day of water polo.

HiLLWiLLiam, Nov 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

MichelleJeremy, Aug 30, 2012

KYDrew, Dec 31, 2012

WSUBuckeye65, Nov 21, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

S- out of bottle into glass

A- golden haze with nice head

S- hops, berry, hint of pine?

T- This beer is clean and crisp throughout with a little hoppy bite. Starts off berry, then the hops hit you, not hard, just enuff to leave you wanting a little more then a piney tast with a sweet somewhat tart finish.

O- Rogue sometimes dosent get enuff credit IMO b/c they have been making good beer for a long time. There are not the latest and greatest but everytime I pick one up Im pleased. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this brew and will continue to pick it up as the spring seasons come and go. Its an enjoyable citrus pale ale thats not going to knock your socks off but will satisfy most pale ale lovers taste bubs year in and out.

cwoods, Apr 15, 2012