Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,297
3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Nice bright yellow colour with very nice off white head and great lacing. Very strong hoppy aroma and a nice fruity taste with a pear aftertaste. A quite hoppy ale, more than I am used to but quite balanced. Would like to have a few more of these to see where they fit in. Good mouthfeel, kinda spicy and pretty drinkable. A nice beer. (335 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a golden color with a 1 inch head. The juniper berries are evident in the smell. Juniper again dominates the taste but is not overpowering. The mouthfeel is good. There is a slight hint of hops but not overpowering like most of Rogue's brews. All in all this is not a spectacular beer but has very good drinkabilty and I'll buy it again. (343 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber Straw color, I guess you could say saffron. Pours up with a nice distinct head. A decent looking brew. I had expected a vibrant aroma from this one, with the name juniper pale ale and the greenery laden bottle. Instead I get a watery mix of mollases honey and....pennies...metallic in the back with some grains as well. The taste is decent light fruits in the front with some grainy notes and a lot of alchohol in the finish....more than is expected in a sub 6% easy drinking brew. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and not supported with enough body. Overall a drinkable brew...but I can drink better, more affordable bottles from Rouge and other outlets before this one. (682 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 04.01.14.

A: See through yellow/orange. No head.

S: Caramel, maybe tangerine. Very sweet and fruity smelling.

T: Caramel, citrus, juniper berry dominate. Has some bitterness on the back end.

M: Crisp.

O: This was an ok beer. It wasn't bad, but wasn't complex or very interesting. I've had better beers with juniper added.

Rating: C (382 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +10.6%

I picked up a bottle to try something different, and...

Like Mikey, I liked it (if you don't get the reference your younger than me).

Appearance: Hazy dark straw yellow, Had a nice head which held for a while. Not too pretty, but not unpleasant

Smell: Very nice malts, hops, and juniper mixed together well. I liked the aroma. The Juniper is very subtle, you notice it but is was not overpowering like too many spiced beers.

Taste: Complex and interesting. I nice level of malt for a pale ale, and a moderate dose of western US hops, with a subtle hint of juniper. I slowly enjoyed the whole beer.

Mouthfeel: What you would expect from a quality pale ale. Light but with some substance.

Drinkability: I will pick up a six pack next time I have a chance, but this is a one at a time beer. (793 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a very cloudy golden/orange color. No visible particles like some cloudy beers, just cloudy. Small head dissipated quickly. No lacing.

Smells a little piney and orangey. I just realized that I have no idea what juniper smells like, so this could reak of juniper for all I know, but I wouldn't know. I've drank plenty of gin, but don't know if gin is supposed to smell like junipers and nothing else or what.

A little piney and flowery (I think that's the juniper) tasting, but not in an overwhelmingly hoppy way. There is sweet malt at first too, which is taken over by the flowery aspect that does actually remind me of gin. It comes on really strong in the finish for a moment and then quickly fades, leaving very little aftertaste. Crisp.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, slightly oily.

I like this. Fairly unique for a pale ale. This is an easy drinking and tasty beer. I'd like to pair one of these with a gourmet sandwich or salad. (953 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Had a bomber of this stuff this afternoon and yeah it was pretty tasty stuff. As a fan of Rogue Breweries, I've wanted to try their other stuff and this certainly was good.

Appearance was a nice golden light amber with a decent head and a fair amount of lacing. Not a bad looking beer poured straight from the bomber.

Smell was fair in rich malts and juniper berries. Just like the bottle advertised, the juniper was very strong with this ale and made itself welcome.

Taste was good. It had a nice buttery taste along with a strong amount of juniper, malts, and crispiness to it. This stuff went down rather quickly and had a nice finish. Definitely a good beer to drink during dinnertime.

Mouthfeel was above average, with a fair amount of frothiness, flavor and satisfaction. Not a bad beer to behold before the big finish.

Drinkability is good however. A bomber of this stuff goes quickly. My suggestion is to grab at least 2 or 3 of these babies for a great weekend, for you will not be disappointed. (1,009 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Mild juniper with a citrusy passion fruit nose. A little bit of malt backs it up.

Thick white head. Very good lacing. Light golden color. Mostly clear, slight haze.

Ginny taste backed up by some bready malt. Bitterness is high. Getting some citrus hops in the finish.

Medium low mouthfeel. Very dry. Carbonation medium-high. Alcohol is balanced.

A solid base beer, kinda like a hoppy Maibock. The juniper is interesting, but not for me. If you like juniper or gin, give this a try. (485 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Pale yet somewhat dark golden colour. Hazy/cloudy, furious carbonation, with frothy and strong pure white head that leaves major lacing behind. And although its not about the beer itself, the bottle design deserves a mention. I just love the three colour simplicity of the art (incorporating the bottle's colour into it). Props to Rogue

S: Oh this smells so delicious. Very wheaty and yeasty, with strong yet balanced hoppiness. Maltiness is very sweet and a type I'm not sure I've smelled recently. Hint of yeastiness. Juniper is not present here.

T: Pretty light, heavy on the hops. Juniper is here, and as a gin drinker I do love my juniper, and it simply yields too much ground to the hops in my opinion. So much potential and not quite the delivery i was looking for. Slightly malty but almost a little hint of corn in there too. Still not a bad tasting beer IMO, but could be better if they toned down the hops and let other flavours come out more.

M: Average. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. A little bit of carbonation, but a lot of it comes out soon after the initial pour.

D: Light and good for a warm spring/summer day (especially the first warm day of spring!) Good, and low enough abv where it doesnt get you going too fast, but really not interesting enough to keep me wanting more. I really doubt I would want another one after the first one. Disappointing in general...I was definitely looking forward to more pine tree in my beer. (1,501 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Poura a nice dark amber color with a great two finger off white head. Decent lacing. Has a very strong aroma. A lot of berries, malt, hops, pine, and citrus. Has a decent taste but nothing astounding. Almost tastes like its watered down with a hint of malt at the end. Definitely not at the top or even middle of the charts. Has a great aroma but no taste to follow. Easy drinkability but nothing to the mouthfeel. (414 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bomber for $5.79. Poured into a pint glass

A: Refers to itself as "saffron colored". I'll buy that. Decent head.

S: This smells awful. A mix of sickly sweetness and stale macro crap. Ugh.

T: Decent hop flavor, finishing with a good deal of bitterness. Still too sweet, in my opinion. I don't get any juniper in this at all.

M: Fine

D: Pretty crisp, but a little sweet to have too much

Rogue has better stuff out there. (434 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Review based on tasting notes from '07 Knoxville Brewers Jam.

Poured a clear gold with a pale head. Hop-forward smell, although I missed the juniper here. The taste brought out the juniper for me, but this is a hop-heavy beer. Sharpness in the mouthful and a medium to light body. Overall, this is a nice (the good nice, not the bad "nice") choice in terms of drinkability. Different and worth trying (401 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into my samuel smiths pint glass, this beer is a pale hazy gold color with a lot of carbonation. It left a very big creamy head, 3 1/2 fingers that left a lot of lacing. In the nose I get hops the easiest and then some berries and malt. The taste is hops up front followed by malt and berries at the finish. Slightly watery. Nice mouthfeel and very drinkable. I'd definitely recommend this beer, its very good and easy to drink. (435 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

had not tried one of these...so i gave it a shot.
interesting brew. has a piney/junipery sort of whang to it...almost in a citris way.
A: golden yellow..nice head..stayed for a while too
S: somewhat malty, but you can pick up the hops and other flavors
T: some hops...not as much as some other rogues..but nice...the juniper/pine flavor is there in the aftertaste..not too bitter..but the flavor is distinct. I think this would go well with something that likes citris...say fish or spicey foods...tia come to mind...
M: nice, but not too full..like a good pale ale should
D: very drinkable...filling too...so one 22oz is about all you would want with a meal...then move onto something else for a finisher...

overall a great craft beer. (745 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pale golden yellow with a nice white head that recedes in a normal amount of time, leaves lacing on the edges.

S- Smells of a pale ale, pine hops and pale malts. Some of the pine scent is no doubt from the juniper.

T- Light malt and pale ale level of hoppiness. I notice the juniper in the drink but not as much as I would like, the aftertaste is there though. Overall I wish there was a lot more juniper flavor, I am a gin guy when I am not drinking beer and was hoping for this to be a blend of both but it isn't quite that.

M- Medium body, full for a pale ale. Coats the mouth, with the juniper and spice lingering.

D- Drinkable beer but not quite what I was expecting or desireing from a beer that highlights the juniper, especially from a brewery know for being strong with flavor. (793 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Pouring is a nice cloudy with reminisce floating in it. Very bubbly with a nice golden honey color. Head is a very frothy milk color. Head settles very nice.
Smell is of hops, and citrus. a more orange kinda smell more then a lemon. i really dont smell the juniper berries.
Taste is not very bitter. A very sweet beggining with a tingle of bitterness that doesn't really effect it. has a great kinda berry taste, but i dont think it tastes like juniper berries at that though. a little bit of spices that come out when finishing it. This a a very pleasant pale ale to drink. doesn't strike me at all as bitter.
Very bubbly with a great tingling of the citruses. has the dry Berrie feel to it. (693 characters)

I first tried this deliciously interesting mix at the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria, BC back in September 2011. It was so interesting that when I took a trip down to Portland a few weeks ago, I made sure to pick up a sixer to revisit it.

I think what really gets me is the fact it uses such an interesting ingredient like juniper berries to give the beer that extra flavourful punch. I grew up with juniper trees/bushes in my backyard and never once thought such a thing could make a drink that was not only consumable, but delicious.

Still, not a favourite of mine, but definitely in the "unique, and will definitely revisit" pile.

(And thus concludes my first beer review on this site!) (702 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

From an elder bottle prior to the Juniper Ale conversion.

A - Pours a foggy pilsner color, with a touch of orange. A little head that falls with decent lacing.

S - A bit or light fruit, a bit of wheat, not a terribly stong nose, nor would I expect it to be.

T - Very, very light. Only with hints of wheat and apricot and orange, this beer while perhaps not worsened with age, has lost a bit of flavor.

M - Light and a little tingly, has an almost champagne like feel to it.

D - I'd have to rate the drinkability at a later time for sake of a newer beer, but not bad even as such. (594 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this ale but when I poured
the first few ounces, I thought I was in for something really
special.

A - an ENORMOUS fluffy white head leaving immense lacing with
a very light amber clear color almost like an industrial beer.

S - the first few seconds after pouring were a wonderful snoutful
of juniper aroma. unfortunately, it did not linger long at all.

T - nicely balanced, clean with a small maltiness, piney bitterness.

M - really excellent. makes it extremely drinkable.

This was a surprisingly good beer which could be very drinkable.
Although, I would not feel the need to seek it out too frequently. (644 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours from 22oz. bottle into my Nimbus pint glass a pale clear goldish hue. Head is very nice and does not dissipate as the beer sits and is drank. Impressive. Smell is hoppy, earthy, spicy, citrusy. Not gin-y :) .

Smooth hop flavor here, slightly bitter, crisp, dare I say refreshing. There's the little bit of juniper spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine, about right for an pale ale, and drinkability is very good. (425 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

a: Pale golden in color. Head is not thick but lasted through my whole beer.
s: decent amount of hops but nothing overpowering...seemed to be well balanced
t: smooth and delightful...not over hopped with altitle hint of sweetness from the malt and juniper...
m: as i said it was smoooth
d:a very drinkable...its a nice and easy to drink pale ale...not for the hopped up american drinker i'd say but its def worht a try...right on!!! (437 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

This hazy amber pint has a small, bubbly, very lightly tanned head. The spicy, hoppy, floral smell is strong even at arm's length.

Like many of the other Rogue brews I've tried, this one impresses me right from the first sip. It's immediately refreshing, and complicated enough to grab my attention. The first stage, focused on the tip of the tongue, has some of the same sweet/sour zip that characterized the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. In this case, though, it's so much more balanced that I enjoy it. The hops in the second stage have the same sharpness that made Sierra Harvest Ale so challenging, but here it's mild enough to be pleasant. The finish carries a floral, grainy bitterness at the back of the tongue.

Drinking this beautifully balanced beer is an intense experience. I can see the hops on the trellis. I can taste the grain. At the end I enjoy the pretty cascade of lacing, and look forward to picking up some more of these. (942 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy dark yellow with big bubble carbonation and medium-small soapy white head.
smell is somewhat malty and lightly oily. Faint sweet citrus.
Taste is soft at first with medium bitter finish. some soft fruit flavors that I can't identify but there are no flavors that really stand out.
mouthfeel is medium/thick and soft for a pale ale. i like this aspect of the beer.
Overall this is a fair pale ale. So far this is my least favorite Rogue Ale. It seems very status quo for a Rogue beer. (502 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Golden/flesh orange color. Clumpy two-finger thick head with some lace clinging on. Extremely high levels of carbonation evident.
S: The standard earthy malt notes found in a lot of Rogue beers... I'm not nocking on it. Also a sweet pine smell like one might find in gin. Some hops, but not as much as I would like/expected from a beer with "pale ale" on the label.
T: Sweet up front but than PINE, I guess a double dose of the juniper and the hops. Not overbearing though and not normal. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Whatever the cause the result is really interesting, quit different from a beer that might get a heavy pine taste from just hops. Sounds pretentious but whatever.
M: Looks were decieving. Thought it might be too carbonated from its appearance but not that bad. Not great, but not bad.
D: Gin mixed with beer??? Thank goodness that didn't turn out to be true. Still, wouldn't want to drink more than a bomber of this really. (954 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Who knew that Juniper berries would complement a nice Pale Ale? The beer does not appear to be anything noteworthy -- it has a really pale, yellowly appearance. But appearances aren't everything. This beer has a nice combo of floral and fruity taste character that is truly unique and worth trying. I would not consider this an everyday beer, but this is perfect if you're in the mood for something different. (409 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales