1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Juniper Pale AleJuniper Pale Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,117 | Reviews: 662 | Show All Ratings:
dankster

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

A- gold and hazy with fluffy white head leaving good lace on glass

S- very plant like. grassy and malty with spicy hops

T- a bit odd for me but the juniper does come though with spicy aftertaste of hops and biscit like malts

M- ok but a tad bit sticky for a pale ale imo

O- a very differnt style of pale ale but just average for me. there are better ones out there by far. glad i only bought one bottle as the six pack is pretty pricey.

12-20-2011 18:51:57 | More by dankster
Whiteweasel

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Pale yet somewhat dark golden colour. Hazy/cloudy, furious carbonation, with frothy and strong pure white head that leaves major lacing behind. And although its not about the beer itself, the bottle design deserves a mention. I just love the three colour simplicity of the art (incorporating the bottle's colour into it). Props to Rogue

S: Oh this smells so delicious. Very wheaty and yeasty, with strong yet balanced hoppiness. Maltiness is very sweet and a type I'm not sure I've smelled recently. Hint of yeastiness. Juniper is not present here.

T: Pretty light, heavy on the hops. Juniper is here, and as a gin drinker I do love my juniper, and it simply yields too much ground to the hops in my opinion. So much potential and not quite the delivery i was looking for. Slightly malty but almost a little hint of corn in there too. Still not a bad tasting beer IMO, but could be better if they toned down the hops and let other flavours come out more.

M: Average. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. A little bit of carbonation, but a lot of it comes out soon after the initial pour.

D: Light and good for a warm spring/summer day (especially the first warm day of spring!) Good, and low enough abv where it doesnt get you going too fast, but really not interesting enough to keep me wanting more. I really doubt I would want another one after the first one. Disappointing in general...I was definitely looking forward to more pine tree in my beer.

05-01-2010 00:43:55 | More by Whiteweasel
mattpetti

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

a: Pale golden in color. Head is not thick but lasted through my whole beer.
s: decent amount of hops but nothing overpowering...seemed to be well balanced
t: smooth and delightful...not over hopped with altitle hint of sweetness from the malt and juniper...
m: as i said it was smoooth
d:a very drinkable...its a nice and easy to drink pale ale...not for the hopped up american drinker i'd say but its def worht a try...right on!!!

01-11-2006 06:50:52 | More by mattpetti
Pooba001

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Pours from 22oz. bottle into my Nimbus pint glass a pale clear goldish hue. Head is very nice and does not dissipate as the beer sits and is drank. Impressive. Smell is hoppy, earthy, spicy, citrusy. Not gin-y :) .

Smooth hop flavor here, slightly bitter, crisp, dare I say refreshing. There's the little bit of juniper spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine, about right for an pale ale, and drinkability is very good.

10-03-2006 11:17:35 | More by Pooba001
mastodonj

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this ale but when I poured
the first few ounces, I thought I was in for something really
special.

A - an ENORMOUS fluffy white head leaving immense lacing with
a very light amber clear color almost like an industrial beer.

S - the first few seconds after pouring were a wonderful snoutful
of juniper aroma. unfortunately, it did not linger long at all.

T - nicely balanced, clean with a small maltiness, piney bitterness.

M - really excellent. makes it extremely drinkable.

This was a surprisingly good beer which could be very drinkable.
Although, I would not feel the need to seek it out too frequently.

10-28-2011 03:06:36 | More by mastodonj
Bumpon10s

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

From an elder bottle prior to the Juniper Ale conversion.

A - Pours a foggy pilsner color, with a touch of orange. A little head that falls with decent lacing.

S - A bit or light fruit, a bit of wheat, not a terribly stong nose, nor would I expect it to be.

T - Very, very light. Only with hints of wheat and apricot and orange, this beer while perhaps not worsened with age, has lost a bit of flavor.

M - Light and a little tingly, has an almost champagne like feel to it.

D - I'd have to rate the drinkability at a later time for sake of a newer beer, but not bad even as such.

10-11-2005 05:39:18 | More by Bumpon10s
Weissenheimer

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

This hazy amber pint has a small, bubbly, very lightly tanned head. The spicy, hoppy, floral smell is strong even at arm's length.

Like many of the other Rogue brews I've tried, this one impresses me right from the first sip. It's immediately refreshing, and complicated enough to grab my attention. The first stage, focused on the tip of the tongue, has some of the same sweet/sour zip that characterized the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. In this case, though, it's so much more balanced that I enjoy it. The hops in the second stage have the same sharpness that made Sierra Harvest Ale so challenging, but here it's mild enough to be pleasant. The finish carries a floral, grainy bitterness at the back of the tongue.

Drinking this beautifully balanced beer is an intense experience. I can see the hops on the trellis. I can taste the grain. At the end I enjoy the pretty cascade of lacing, and look forward to picking up some more of these.

12-04-2003 04:00:16 | More by Weissenheimer
jwilli7122

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy dark yellow with big bubble carbonation and medium-small soapy white head.
smell is somewhat malty and lightly oily. Faint sweet citrus.
Taste is soft at first with medium bitter finish. some soft fruit flavors that I can't identify but there are no flavors that really stand out.
mouthfeel is medium/thick and soft for a pale ale. i like this aspect of the beer.
Overall this is a fair pale ale. So far this is my least favorite Rogue Ale. It seems very status quo for a Rogue beer.

10-13-2004 03:02:23 | More by jwilli7122
VitBAficionado

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Golden/flesh orange color. Clumpy two-finger thick head with some lace clinging on. Extremely high levels of carbonation evident.
S: The standard earthy malt notes found in a lot of Rogue beers... I'm not nocking on it. Also a sweet pine smell like one might find in gin. Some hops, but not as much as I would like/expected from a beer with "pale ale" on the label.
T: Sweet up front but than PINE, I guess a double dose of the juniper and the hops. Not overbearing though and not normal. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Whatever the cause the result is really interesting, quit different from a beer that might get a heavy pine taste from just hops. Sounds pretentious but whatever.
M: Looks were decieving. Thought it might be too carbonated from its appearance but not that bad. Not great, but not bad.
D: Gin mixed with beer??? Thank goodness that didn't turn out to be true. Still, wouldn't want to drink more than a bomber of this really.

03-01-2007 07:37:31 | More by VitBAficionado
WaveRebel51

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Who knew that Juniper berries would complement a nice Pale Ale? The beer does not appear to be anything noteworthy -- it has a really pale, yellowly appearance. But appearances aren't everything. This beer has a nice combo of floral and fruity taste character that is truly unique and worth trying. I would not consider this an everyday beer, but this is perfect if you're in the mood for something different.

08-15-2007 14:27:52 | More by WaveRebel51
dpend

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance is a typical yellow-amber color.Head dissipation is also typical.Hops are immediately present in the aroma although I didn't pick up on the junipers and spice all that much.That's good that they weren't overwhelming.Light and a bit watery mouthfeel and I would consider it highly drinkable.I actually think this beer could pass as a lager.I've had this in a bottle as well, but on tap is the way to go.

11-18-2003 17:40:38 | More by dpend
yesferro

Mississippi

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Found a bomber of this in Saltillo MS

Pours a golden color, had a very nice head that lasted a good while. I tried to smell juniper but I mainly got hops and citrus, there's something else there but I am not sure if I'd call it juniper.

The initial taste is a sweet citrus, only briefly though, then the hops come in and right in the back, you got your bitter juniper. None of these flavors are really strong, I think it's what it makes it so refreshing. Kind of bitter aftertaste.

This beer is ok, but at $6 a bomber I expected more.

EDIT: New and fresher bottle, way better!

Bought a bomber of this at Papa V's, Tupelo MS, $6 incl taxes

Poured into my Raise your Pints pint glass, beautiful brew, very nice head that sticks to the glas, almost golden in color.

Not much going on smell wise, very mild,like malty citrus

Taste is nice, none of the flavors are overwhelming but I get some very faint sweetness up front then the hops and juniper hit.

The mouthfeel is what really gets me, for lack of better words I'd say it feels like drinking milk. Smooth and soft while still nicely carbonated.

I like this a lot, glad I didn't review it the first time I had this, I think that bottle was old. This is a perfect beer for a tornado loaded MS day. I'll have one any other day too though :)

09-18-2009 22:25:16 | More by yesferro
jsapunor

3.8/5  rDev +5%

I was intrigued by the possibilities here. I like gin so why not?

It's a nice golden color with a white head. I'm looking for the juniper in the aroma but I'm getting lemon and citrus hops instead. The soft, dry and clean mouthfeel makes this a good summer beer. The hops and citrus flavor are right up front and there it i, the juniper berries finally make their appearance lurking in the back and imparting a pleasant dry tang to the flavor. It's interesting and very good.

This is a unique offering from a brewer not afraid to experiment. This one is a success.

09-02-2009 16:51:39 | More by jsapunor
krberg

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Golden with a tight white head. Kind of cloudy. Reminds me of a homebrewed pale ale.

Floral with shortbread malt scents. Smells very nice and clean, but not very "roguey."

Sweet, sweet malt! Low hopping, I think for a rogue. Pehaps just low hopping for me. There is just a touch of juniper in the finish. To honest, I wouldn't have picked it out except that I know its there. It rounds out the flavor very nicely and lifts this beer from a nice, standard pale ale into a better class.

Fairly low carbonation with a nice medium full body. Very nice and satisfying after a night at work.

I could drink this all night. Low ABV with low hops equals a great session beer.

A really well crafted brew! Buy it. Too bad its not called yellow snow anymore.

05-07-2005 03:26:34 | More by krberg
kevinjosephlee

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A golden amber with hints of orange in this clear body. A one-finger, off-white head with good retention.

S: This beer smells like a brewery: strong malts, and a great biscuity scent. No fruity esters, per se. The juniper berries don't add much to the nose, but are subtly present. No diacetyl or grassy notes.

T: Quite possibly the best proportion of hops and malt flavor in a pale ale. The hops are bold and distinct, but don't prevent the bready and biscuity malts from shining through. The finish is bitter, reminiscent of grass. The balance is towards the late hops and bitterness which linger. For me, this amount of bitterness prevents the experience of clean crispness.

M: Lighter bodied and moderately carbonated.

Notes: I reviewed this using the american pale ale as the style guide, with the understanding that the brewers believe that it is a Herbed/Spiced Beer. I don't extremely enjoy Rogue's offerings. But this beer tastes how it should.

03-21-2010 00:26:25 | More by kevinjosephlee
cerveza5150

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Not impressed at all. The initial taste is barely detectable sweetness, followed by a metallic hop burn, ending with a spicy juniper berry burst. Not too enjoyable - almost like this ale started out as a good idea, but ended up loaded with probelms. I'm not going to waste another 5 bucks on this one.

11-28-2007 03:01:19 | More by cerveza5150
FernMaster

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Tulip glass.

The beer poured a very clean amber that reflects wonderfully in the light; one of those beers you could see a super villain swivel in his hand before revealing his master plan. The head was present but I found it to quickly subside and leave a few rings along the edge of my glass as I continued to drink. It probably could lace the glass more effectively in a different glass, but I found the tulip to be satisfactory. The smell of the beer itself is very sweet and sort of flowery, given off by the juniper berries. Following the sweet smell is an appropriately sweet taste. The taste is moderately sour, which makes this a sipper. The yeast and berries work very well together, despite the sourness. It begins with a sour note as you drink but finishes with the yeast and hops which effectively balances the sour. I've said the word, "sour," several times now, which I do mean to stretch. If you're drinking in this style, you should be used to it, however a fair warning is in order.
If you like spiced beers and Rogue, or you want to check out the style more, try this beer. It's not the best in the genre but it's a great sipper or introduction into the style. And if you're a fan of Rogue, why not try it?

08-16-2009 02:42:14 | More by FernMaster
wolffman17

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a hazy gold with a small off-white head. A small amount of lace sticks to the glass.
The aroma is full of citric hops along with some spiciness from the juniper. Bready malts round out the aroma.
It tastes much like it smells. The hops are evident but aren't too dominating, and the juniper adds a unique touch. It's earthy and peppery.
This is a well-balanced brew that I find highly drinkable. The juniper is enough to keep me intrigued the entire glass.

08-27-2006 21:01:26 | More by wolffman17
Kitt

Delaware

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

From bottle to pint glass, aroma very weak. A bit malty and sweet but other than that I'm not picking up much.

One finger head dissipates rather rapidly. Lacing present but not prominent. Color a strong yellow-golden haze.

Given the rather un-impressive combination of appearance and aroma stated above, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. This ale has a bitter bite of a nature not far from a hoppy IPA. Taste is of initial piney (juniper?) hops followed by a prominent earthy straw flavored background. Unfortunately, the strong background of earth & straw tones rapidly overwhelm the initial juniper-like piney flavor. In my opinion, it should be the other way around -- a strong juniper bite with mild earthy aftertones would be more appropriate. But I do like the fact that this beer has a definite bite for a pale ale, yet a light taste -- in fact, you might almost think of this one as a "light" IPA. And the bitter flavor lingers for a pleasantly surprising period of time!

Mouthfeel smooth and carbonation prominent but about right. This light and flavorful pale ale drinks well -- very refreshing.

Given the fact I like ales in general and enjoy chewing on pine needles whenever I get the opportunity, its not too surprising I do like this brew. Despite its drawbacks, definitely worth my time. I do think I'll have another...

05-01-2010 02:57:54 | More by Kitt
Lillie1128

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A - pretty, clear golden color with impressive white lacing

S - light and flowery

T - You can definitely taste the juniper, kind of like there's a little juniper tree in your beer. Definitely earthy with a bite of hops. I found it to have an odd watery aftertaste, but that didn't take away from the overall refreshing and interesting taste for me.

M - Good mouthfeel, a bit thin.

D - Drinkability? More like chuggability. VERY drinkable, accidentally finished this one much quicker than I meant to. I could finish a 6 of these in one sitting without even realizing it.

I had been wanting to try this one ever since I saw it at Green's in Atlanta back in March, as I'm a gin lover, and I'm pleased with it. It has a nice taste and it's very easy to drink. I don't think I'll be keeping my fridge stocked with this one, but I'd drink it again and I'm glad I tried it.

05-31-2011 03:53:46 | More by Lillie1128
theWrkncacnter

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle with the usual Rogue screen printing.

A: Very nice initial color, kind of a darker straw color, with a good head. No lacing, only a small ring remains around the edge after the beer sits for a while.

S: Very nice piney (juniper I guess) hop smells, slightly floral, with some light earthy malts in the background.

T: Nice crisp hop blast, very piney but light and not overbearing. Not much malts going on, but some lesser light grassy/earthy malts in the background

M: Good mouthfeel but a not so good oily aftertaste. Well carbonated.

D: Very easy to drink and very smooth, I could drink it all day.

One of my favorite Rogue offerings. Nothing crazy, but a solid, well hopped, easy to drink pale ale. Rogue doesn't really have an IPA they put out regularly but I'd put this as close to an IPA as anything else Rogue offers. A definite buy again.

09-15-2007 22:52:22 | More by theWrkncacnter
jraycee

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a darker golden. Not quite red. Lots of bubbles and a two finger head. Nice lacing marking ewach sip. The smell definately carries more juniper than the taste, lending a sweeter smell. Taste is expected plae ale flavors, strong hops, grains, and malt. Very light in the mouth feel due to the high carbonation. Easy drinking for a pale ale.

09-08-2008 21:09:01 | More by jraycee
moocey

Alabama

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Well, this is supposed to be a pale ale flavored with juniper berries. I don't know what the hell juniper berries are nor have I tasted them before. But I know very well what Rogue beers taste like, and this is definately one of them.

I had a pint of this on tap at Loco's Deli and Pub where I work as a delivery driver. It was poured with no head, but I assume it has decent head as do other Rogue beers. Smell is of usual pacman yeast and malt. There's a huge caramally maltyness up front in the taste. Spicy, herbal hop finish. Overall flavor leans ever-so-slightly in favor of the malt character. This is a tasty beer. I could have a few of these on tap. Wish there were more Rogue bottles to be had in Alabama.

02-13-2005 05:35:56 | More by moocey
BlackJeremiah

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

From notes. Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Dark straw color, foamy white head settles to about 1/2", leaving lacing along the way. Lots of streaming.

S: Bready malts, biscuity, like a Southern bakery. Oh-so-slight juniper berry scent, but definitely more subtle than I feared. A good omen, that.

T: Nice malt profile, in line with the nose. Slight piney hop kiss, but certainly not bomb-like. Juniper presence is nicely understated, making it much less offensive, than, say, the Chipotle Ale.

M: Dry, slightly peppery feel in the finish. Heavier and thicker than the average APA on the palate, a generally more robust body. A more oily texture than I expected--not to its detriment, but not to any particular benefit, either.

D: The disparities from my expectation made this interesting and refreshing; in particular, the forbearance shown by Rogue in the level of juniper was an uncharacteristically subtle and excellent decision.

06-23-2007 06:55:25 | More by BlackJeremiah
lespaulrocker

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Copper body with a large, 2 and a half finger white head. Head stuck around for about a minute and a half, very light lacing.

S: Citrus, hops, floral notes, juniper.

T: Bitter up front, biscuit and flour notes, little bit of juniper but mostly just like a typical pale. The juniper is surprisingly underwhelming.

M: Light body, light carbonation.

Okay beer. I probably wouldn't seek it out again though.

04-03-2012 02:23:02 | More by lespaulrocker