Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 676 | Hads: 1,311
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Golden/flesh orange color. Clumpy two-finger thick head with some lace clinging on. Extremely high levels of carbonation evident.
S: The standard earthy malt notes found in a lot of Rogue beers... I'm not nocking on it. Also a sweet pine smell like one might find in gin. Some hops, but not as much as I would like/expected from a beer with "pale ale" on the label.
T: Sweet up front but than PINE, I guess a double dose of the juniper and the hops. Not overbearing though and not normal. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Whatever the cause the result is really interesting, quit different from a beer that might get a heavy pine taste from just hops. Sounds pretentious but whatever.
M: Looks were decieving. Thought it might be too carbonated from its appearance but not that bad. Not great, but not bad.
D: Gin mixed with beer??? Thank goodness that didn't turn out to be true. Still, wouldn't want to drink more than a bomber of this really.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Who knew that Juniper berries would complement a nice Pale Ale? The beer does not appear to be anything noteworthy -- it has a really pale, yellowly appearance. But appearances aren't everything. This beer has a nice combo of floral and fruity taste character that is truly unique and worth trying. I would not consider this an everyday beer, but this is perfect if you're in the mood for something different.

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance is a typical yellow-amber color.Head dissipation is also typical.Hops are immediately present in the aroma although I didn't pick up on the junipers and spice all that much.That's good that they weren't overwhelming.Light and a bit watery mouthfeel and I would consider it highly drinkable.I actually think this beer could pass as a lager.I've had this in a bottle as well, but on tap is the way to go.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Not impressed at all. The initial taste is barely detectable sweetness, followed by a metallic hop burn, ending with a spicy juniper berry burst. Not too enjoyable - almost like this ale started out as a good idea, but ended up loaded with probelms. I'm not going to waste another 5 bucks on this one.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

Found a bomber of this in Saltillo MS

Pours a golden color, had a very nice head that lasted a good while. I tried to smell juniper but I mainly got hops and citrus, there's something else there but I am not sure if I'd call it juniper.

The initial taste is a sweet citrus, only briefly though, then the hops come in and right in the back, you got your bitter juniper. None of these flavors are really strong, I think it's what it makes it so refreshing. Kind of bitter aftertaste.

This beer is ok, but at $6 a bomber I expected more.

EDIT: New and fresher bottle, way better!

Bought a bomber of this at Papa V's, Tupelo MS, $6 incl taxes

Poured into my Raise your Pints pint glass, beautiful brew, very nice head that sticks to the glas, almost golden in color.

Not much going on smell wise, very mild,like malty citrus

Taste is nice, none of the flavors are overwhelming but I get some very faint sweetness up front then the hops and juniper hit.

The mouthfeel is what really gets me, for lack of better words I'd say it feels like drinking milk. Smooth and soft while still nicely carbonated.

I like this a lot, glad I didn't review it the first time I had this, I think that bottle was old. This is a perfect beer for a tornado loaded MS day. I'll have one any other day too though :)

3.44/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold with white head

S - Not much aroma. Slight earthy/vegetable smell.

T - Nice spiciness up front with a hint of sweetness that quickly transitions to flowery bitterness.

M - Crisp and thin mouthfeel.

O - This is light, refreshing, and very drinkable. This makes a great session beer.

4.04/5  rDev +11%

Golden with a tight white head. Kind of cloudy. Reminds me of a homebrewed pale ale.

Floral with shortbread malt scents. Smells very nice and clean, but not very "roguey."

Sweet, sweet malt! Low hopping, I think for a rogue. Pehaps just low hopping for me. There is just a touch of juniper in the finish. To honest, I wouldn't have picked it out except that I know its there. It rounds out the flavor very nicely and lifts this beer from a nice, standard pale ale into a better class.

Fairly low carbonation with a nice medium full body. Very nice and satisfying after a night at work.

I could drink this all night. Low ABV with low hops equals a great session beer.

A really well crafted brew! Buy it. Too bad its not called yellow snow anymore.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

A - pretty, clear golden color with impressive white lacing

S - light and flowery

T - You can definitely taste the juniper, kind of like there's a little juniper tree in your beer. Definitely earthy with a bite of hops. I found it to have an odd watery aftertaste, but that didn't take away from the overall refreshing and interesting taste for me.

M - Good mouthfeel, a bit thin.

D - Drinkability? More like chuggability. VERY drinkable, accidentally finished this one much quicker than I meant to. I could finish a 6 of these in one sitting without even realizing it.

I had been wanting to try this one ever since I saw it at Green's in Atlanta back in March, as I'm a gin lover, and I'm pleased with it. It has a nice taste and it's very easy to drink. I don't think I'll be keeping my fridge stocked with this one, but I'd drink it again and I'm glad I tried it.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%

A: A lager-like appearance, showing a yellowish gold with a fluffy off-white head that laces itself down the side of the glass.

S: There wasn't a lot to smell here, some faint malts and an ester-y alcohol tinge.

T: A nice bitter start, which quickly lead to some reserved but roasty malts, and then little aftertaste.

M: The mouth feel seems to be where the hops come through, very immediate in the initial bitterness and carbonation, but leaving little behind.

D: Not at all unpleasant, but not enough here to make me crave more.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A golden amber with hints of orange in this clear body. A one-finger, off-white head with good retention.

S: This beer smells like a brewery: strong malts, and a great biscuity scent. No fruity esters, per se. The juniper berries don't add much to the nose, but are subtly present. No diacetyl or grassy notes.

T: Quite possibly the best proportion of hops and malt flavor in a pale ale. The hops are bold and distinct, but don't prevent the bready and biscuity malts from shining through. The finish is bitter, reminiscent of grass. The balance is towards the late hops and bitterness which linger. For me, this amount of bitterness prevents the experience of clean crispness.

M: Lighter bodied and moderately carbonated.

Notes: I reviewed this using the american pale ale as the style guide, with the understanding that the brewers believe that it is a Herbed/Spiced Beer. I don't extremely enjoy Rogue's offerings. But this beer tastes how it should.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Tulip glass.

The beer poured a very clean amber that reflects wonderfully in the light; one of those beers you could see a super villain swivel in his hand before revealing his master plan. The head was present but I found it to quickly subside and leave a few rings along the edge of my glass as I continued to drink. It probably could lace the glass more effectively in a different glass, but I found the tulip to be satisfactory. The smell of the beer itself is very sweet and sort of flowery, given off by the juniper berries. Following the sweet smell is an appropriately sweet taste. The taste is moderately sour, which makes this a sipper. The yeast and berries work very well together, despite the sourness. It begins with a sour note as you drink but finishes with the yeast and hops which effectively balances the sour. I've said the word, "sour," several times now, which I do mean to stretch. If you're drinking in this style, you should be used to it, however a fair warning is in order.
If you like spiced beers and Rogue, or you want to check out the style more, try this beer. It's not the best in the genre but it's a great sipper or introduction into the style. And if you're a fan of Rogue, why not try it?

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy gold with a small off-white head. A small amount of lace sticks to the glass.
The aroma is full of citric hops along with some spiciness from the juniper. Bready malts round out the aroma.
It tastes much like it smells. The hops are evident but aren't too dominating, and the juniper adds a unique touch. It's earthy and peppery.
This is a well-balanced brew that I find highly drinkable. The juniper is enough to keep me intrigued the entire glass.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

From bottle to pint glass, aroma very weak. A bit malty and sweet but other than that I'm not picking up much.

One finger head dissipates rather rapidly. Lacing present but not prominent. Color a strong yellow-golden haze.

Given the rather un-impressive combination of appearance and aroma stated above, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. This ale has a bitter bite of a nature not far from a hoppy IPA. Taste is of initial piney (juniper?) hops followed by a prominent earthy straw flavored background. Unfortunately, the strong background of earth & straw tones rapidly overwhelm the initial juniper-like piney flavor. In my opinion, it should be the other way around -- a strong juniper bite with mild earthy aftertones would be more appropriate. But I do like the fact that this beer has a definite bite for a pale ale, yet a light taste -- in fact, you might almost think of this one as a "light" IPA. And the bitter flavor lingers for a pleasantly surprising period of time!

Mouthfeel smooth and carbonation prominent but about right. This light and flavorful pale ale drinks well -- very refreshing.

Given the fact I like ales in general and enjoy chewing on pine needles whenever I get the opportunity, its not too surprising I do like this brew. Despite its drawbacks, definitely worth my time. I do think I'll have another...

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle with the usual Rogue screen printing.

A: Very nice initial color, kind of a darker straw color, with a good head. No lacing, only a small ring remains around the edge after the beer sits for a while.

S: Very nice piney (juniper I guess) hop smells, slightly floral, with some light earthy malts in the background.

T: Nice crisp hop blast, very piney but light and not overbearing. Not much malts going on, but some lesser light grassy/earthy malts in the background

M: Good mouthfeel but a not so good oily aftertaste. Well carbonated.

D: Very easy to drink and very smooth, I could drink it all day.

One of my favorite Rogue offerings. Nothing crazy, but a solid, well hopped, easy to drink pale ale. Rogue doesn't really have an IPA they put out regularly but I'd put this as close to an IPA as anything else Rogue offers. A definite buy again.

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a darker golden. Not quite red. Lots of bubbles and a two finger head. Nice lacing marking ewach sip. The smell definately carries more juniper than the taste, lending a sweeter smell. Taste is expected plae ale flavors, strong hops, grains, and malt. Very light in the mouth feel due to the high carbonation. Easy drinking for a pale ale.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Well, this is supposed to be a pale ale flavored with juniper berries. I don't know what the hell juniper berries are nor have I tasted them before. But I know very well what Rogue beers taste like, and this is definately one of them.

I had a pint of this on tap at Loco's Deli and Pub where I work as a delivery driver. It was poured with no head, but I assume it has decent head as do other Rogue beers. Smell is of usual pacman yeast and malt. There's a huge caramally maltyness up front in the taste. Spicy, herbal hop finish. Overall flavor leans ever-so-slightly in favor of the malt character. This is a tasty beer. I could have a few of these on tap. Wish there were more Rogue bottles to be had in Alabama.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

From notes. Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Dark straw color, foamy white head settles to about 1/2", leaving lacing along the way. Lots of streaming.

S: Bready malts, biscuity, like a Southern bakery. Oh-so-slight juniper berry scent, but definitely more subtle than I feared. A good omen, that.

T: Nice malt profile, in line with the nose. Slight piney hop kiss, but certainly not bomb-like. Juniper presence is nicely understated, making it much less offensive, than, say, the Chipotle Ale.

M: Dry, slightly peppery feel in the finish. Heavier and thicker than the average APA on the palate, a generally more robust body. A more oily texture than I expected--not to its detriment, but not to any particular benefit, either.

D: The disparities from my expectation made this interesting and refreshing; in particular, the forbearance shown by Rogue in the level of juniper was an uncharacteristically subtle and excellent decision.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Copper body with a large, 2 and a half finger white head. Head stuck around for about a minute and a half, very light lacing.

S: Citrus, hops, floral notes, juniper.

T: Bitter up front, biscuit and flour notes, little bit of juniper but mostly just like a typical pale. The juniper is surprisingly underwhelming.

M: Light body, light carbonation.

Okay beer. I probably wouldn't seek it out again though.

4.31/5  rDev +18.4%

Deep straw-yellow in color, creamy white head. Very clear and very appealing.

Malty nose. British scents--somewhat faint. Good malt smell, though.

Very delicious. Creamy, malty and smooth. Juniper berries gives the beer a near perfect spice. Nice low-medium bitter on the back of tongue. Really, an exceptional flavor.

Body is a touch too thin. Could be a little thicker to compliment the wonderful malt flavor.

I could drink three 22s without thinking. Easy.

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%

I was disappointed in this beer. I did not know what to expect from the juniper berries, but what I really did not expect was the disappearance of the hops. This does not taste like a Northwest Pale Ale to me. I am not a person who is stingy on style guidelines.

There is very little balance between the malt and hops. Almost no hop aroma is present. The beer is clean but dull. I guess that I was expecting a more robust beer from Rogue.

4.04/5  rDev +11%

poured a cloudy gold from a 22oz bottle, not a lot of head. i really expected this beer to be a lot sweeter. bit of pine and fruity smell. taste is good nice hop balance. i could use a bit more hops my self but hey.. it is good. after taste is a bit of bitter hop then nice and malty.... but not too malty. all in all this beer is really good. will buy it again for sure. although would be cool to be able to find it in 6 packs. really very drinkable. i could drink a bunch of these. good job rogue! i like it!

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

A little like blending gin with a Pale Ale. An interesting blend of hops, not aggressively bitter (certainly not as bitter as my usual preference)but with a pleasant enough muted edge. A little thin on the palatte. I can imagine drinking this beer, poolside, on a hot summer day. I popped a lemon slice into my second glass and it gave the beer a mildly pleasant sour taste like a mixed drink. Not my favorite Rogue (there's no such thing as a bad one)but I'd have another should the occasion arise.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%

A: medium orange hue with a fluffy head that settles into some larger bubbles

S: the smell of this is just plain funky... it smells a little like rice pudding, also kind of musty, old and dusty?

T: some hops... some similarities to Bass. Tastes dusty, old, and funky. after a couple sips i start to get more of the juniper and camping smells and taste. Something is just out of whack with this one.

M: feels ok, pretty average in terms of carbonation and smoothness

D: nope, could barely finish one glass.

Note: perhaps this would work better if you used it to cook with or paired it with a meal that would bring out certain flavors. by itself however, not too enjoyable.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle poured into glass mug

A: Pours a pale yellow with two fingers of white head that lingers for a few seconds then slowly dissipates, leaving a little lacing on the sides of the glass and some floating foam on the top

S: Very strong floral aroma, with some bitterness on the nose and some pale malts

T: Tastes of pine, with some malt and juniper berry flavor. Its bitter, but not from the hops as much as the juniper berries. This is a very unique pale ale. As it warms, the juniper begins to stand out a bit more

M: Not overly carbonated and a bit watery, but it works for this beer. Leaves a bit of an oily residue in the mouth after swallowing.

D: Not overbearingly heavy or bitter, I could drink a few of these in one sitting

Overall, this is a very good beer. This is both my first juniper beer, and my first Rogue ale, and I will definitely be seeking out more Rogue beers

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: A hazy golden yellow with a finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. Pretty good amount of lacing.

Smell: Honey juniper lemon, possibly orange.

Taste: A bit tart and piny, a touch lemony.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a round transitioning to dry feel a bit carbonated.

Drinkability: Very drinkable aside from the touch of dryness at the end.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales